Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I don't know if anyone else has found this, but when I boot out of Windows and into Mac OSX my clock jumps forward by 1 hour.

Has anyone else seen this and is there an easy fix?

Does this have anything to do with British Day Light Savings etc...

Thanks.

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
I have the same problem, don't worry you're not alone. Don't know about a fix though

MajikalMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2007
My guess is that the two operating systems don't recognize the system clock's settings for time zone. I would wager that the time zone variable is local within the operating system, hence, the setting isn't conserved between Windows and OS X. I am located in Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5) and unsurprisingly, the time is always 5 hrs in advance on my Windows side. Attempting to correct the time manually would be futile since that would change the system clock. This is the solution I found in another forum was the edit the Windows registry at:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
 SYSTEM
  CurrentControlSet
   Control
    TimeZoneInformation
     RealTimeIsUniversal

and set it to a DValue of 1. I have yet to try this myself so good luck!

armani

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
My guess is that the two operating systems don't recognize the system clock's settings for time zone. I would wager that the time zone variable is local within the operating system, hence, the setting isn't conserved between Windows and OS X. I am located in Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5) and unsurprisingly, the time is always 5 hrs in advance on my Windows side. Attempting to correct the time manually would be futile since that would change the system clock. This is the solution I found in another forum was the edit the Windows registry at:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
 SYSTEM
  CurrentControlSet
   Control
    TimeZoneInformation
     RealTimeIsUniversal

and set it to a DValue of 1. I have yet to try this myself so good luck!

I tried it, but I can only go to Time Zone Information and I can not see Real Time Is Universal.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
I've done this, and it's changed things such that Mac OS X always boots up with the correct time, as does Windows XP. However, after a while Windows sets the time forward by 7 hours. I've tried adjusting the time zone, but it has no effect. I can't keep Windows from setting itself 7 hours early. I live in the PDT zone.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Weird... Since booting in OS X seems to correct the startup time for XP, I tried unchecking the XP control box that tells the machine to sync to the internet, so that it would stop setting the clock forward by 7 hours. Yet XP still insists on setting it forward after a few minutes.

doofusjim

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
how do u get onto the windows registry?

hey guys.
Just wondering how do you go to the windows registry? how do you get there?

thanks

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Weird... Since booting in OS X seems to correct the startup time for XP, I tried unchecking the XP control box that tells the machine to sync to the internet, so that it would stop setting the clock forward by 7 hours. Yet XP still insists on setting it forward after a few minutes.

My windows time jumps forward as well after doing the registry hack. Is there a fix for this?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
My windows time jumps forward as well after doing the registry hack. Is there a fix for this?
That's due to the Boot Camp time synching application. I haven't looked into it, but if you disable it, the time should be spot on. I don't know why Apple didn't use the registry key, to use UTC, and instead chose to use their shoddy time program.

rainforest1155

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
What I did to fix this problem was to disable the automatic daylight adjustment in Windows. You can do this in the timezone settings when you double click on the clock in the taskbar.

Sebastian

dangkevin

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
That's due to the Boot Camp time synching application. I haven't looked into it, but if you disable it, the time should be spot on. I don't know why Apple didn't use the registry key, to use UTC, and instead chose to use their shoddy time program.

Hi,

How do you disable the time synching application in boot camp?

Kevin Dang.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
any resolution yet for the time jumping forward problem? it's still doing it for me...

jeamland

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
SOLUTION:

1 - set the realtimeisuniversal setting as described above.
2 - go into control panel -> administrative tools -> services (or "manage computer" and go to services) and select "apple time service". set this to be DISABLED and it won't change your clock again.

works fine :)

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
So, just one more time, doing the following procedure should stop my Mac partition's clock from moving backwards 4 hours every time I reboot back into OS X, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.