PDA

View Full Version : G5 processor upgrade?

DickBastardly
Jun 15, 2007, 07:57 AM
hi, i'm new to this forum and new to upgrading computers as well. i've just picked up a power mac g5 single 1.8ghz on the cheap and was wondering if anyone knew anything about upgrade potential of this machine processor-wise cos its pretty dated now.
i suppose its very hopeful to suppose that it might have the same motherboard as the dual processor g5 powermacs and i can just lump one straiught in?!
if i require a new motherboard in order to upgrade are they easy to fit, do they cost a lot and is it worth it?
would very much appreictae it if anyone can shed any light on the matter

Father Jack
Jun 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
The price of Apple Logic board (mother-board) is too scary to contemplate .... :eek:

DickBastardly
Jun 15, 2007, 08:12 AM
i was afraid it might!

i guess ill have to make do with it for a couple of years and just ramp up the ram to 2-4gigs.

in your opinion, is a 1.8ghz g5 still viable? i mean in all honesty my computer needs are very limited. ive only got a power mac cos it was cheap second hand and i felt im getting more value for money getting such a pretty beast compared to the woefully un-upgraded state of the mini. if im using just safari, itunes, office and doing a little phoo editing its enough right?

also is it future proof in terms of leopard? its still a 64bit chipset liek the dual-processor ones right?

dartzorichalcos
Jun 15, 2007, 08:18 AM
i was afraid it might!

i guess ill have to make do with it for a couple of years and just ramp up the ram to 2-4gigs.

in your opinion, is a 1.8ghz g5 still viable? i mean in all honesty my computer needs are very limited. ive only got a power mac cos it was cheap second hand and i felt im getting more value for money getting such a pretty beast compared to the woefully un-upgraded state of the mini. if im using just safari, itunes, office and doing a little phoo editing its enough right?

also is it future proof in terms of leopard? its still a 64bit chipset liek the dual-processor ones right?

All G5s are 64-bit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit) and the 1.8GHz G5 can still be good if you add a lot of ram to it and install Leopard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_10.5) on it. More ram and Leopard will speed up your PowerMac G5 even more. The reason Leopard will make your mac faster is because Leopard is truly a 64-bit system and will be truly optimized for all 64-bit macs. Leopard will support 32-bit applications and 32-bit macs (G4 and above) too.

Father Jack
Jun 15, 2007, 08:19 AM
Yes ..... adding a shed-load of ram should speed things up considerably .. :)

Redline13
Jun 15, 2007, 08:25 AM
Depending on your intended usage you could also upgrade the video card. A larger and faster HDD may also help.

DickBastardly
Jun 15, 2007, 09:14 AM
thanks for your thoughts gentlemen.
so the general consensus is ram ram ram + that beast called leopard.

grfx card is not necessary for me really. i dont intend to power two screens. i've got a lovely new hdmi 22 inch lg that should do me fine and look great, and a ps3 to use for games and other media.

what's the best place to find cheap ram in the uk? im probably thinking of two sticks of a gig...

cal6n
Jun 15, 2007, 09:23 AM
what's the best place to find cheap ram in the uk? im probably thinking of two sticks of a gig...

You could always PM me after looking at this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=310904), post #13.

gee fiver
Mar 27, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone:

I've got an old G5 (1.6 Ghz CPU) that's been running like molasses since Leopard upgrade. RAM is maxed out at 4 gig and I just bought a new 1 terabyte internal HD (all installed).

Here's the problem: iChat uses up to 75% of CPU when I am doing triple chat and 60-ish when doing dual chat. Other apps slow to a crawl. I never had this problem pre-Leopard.

I moved iPhoto and iTunes to external drives to free up space, but I don't think RAM is the issue. It appears to be a horsepower issue. Should I just bite the bullet and get a new MacPro?

Thanks.

p.s. would there be any advantage to making my system drive the new terabyte internal or doesn't it matter.

fluidedge
Mar 27, 2008, 06:04 PM
A faster HDD will do wonders too - you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes to have a good 7200 or 10000 rpm drive.

chrisbeebops
Mar 27, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone:

I've got an old G5 (1.6 Ghz CPU) that's been running like molasses since Leopard upgrade. RAM is maxed out at 4 gig and I just bought a new 1 terabyte internal HD (all installed).

Here's the problem: iChat uses up to 75% of CPU when I am doing triple chat and 60-ish when doing dual chat. Other apps slow to a crawl. I never had this problem pre-Leopard.

I moved iPhoto and iTunes to external drives to free up space, but I don't think RAM is the issue. It appears to be a horsepower issue. Should I just bite the bullet and get a new MacPro?

Thanks.

p.s. would there be any advantage to making my system drive the new terabyte internal or doesn't it matter.

I think there is something wrong with iChat in your case... it definitely should not be doing that. You might want to google and see if anyone else is having your problem.

There is an advantage to using your new drive as the system drive. Your new drive will be faster (newer technology, higher density). Maybe use this as an excuse to reinstall Leopard and fix your iChat issue. =P

gee fiver
Mar 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'll give both suggestions a whirl. Not much downside to trying.

Jimmi 1973
Feb 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
I just bought my first Mac after years with PC and now im a new disciple...
I have a Mac OS X v.10.5.8 Dual 2.5 PPC G5(3.0) with 3.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Now i want to upgrade it with some Intel processors. Is that possible?

kellen
Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
I just bought my first Mac after years with PC and now im a new disciple...
I have a Mac OS X v.10.5.8 Dual 2.5 PPC G5(3.0) with 3.5 GB DDR SDRAM

No, the PPC and intel are completely different and it would require replacing everything but the case, disk drive and hard drive. In short, sell the 2.5 and buy an intel mac pro if intel is your wish.

Transporteur
Feb 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
No, the PPC and intel are completely different and it would require replacing everything but the case, disk drive and hard drive.

You would even have to replace the case as the G5 and Mac Pro cases don't have the same layout.

bzollinger
Feb 14, 2010, 02:46 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone about upgrading a dual 2.0 G5 to a dual 2.5 or higher?

300D
Feb 14, 2010, 08:05 PM

Not physically. You can put some "Intel Inside" stickers on the case and pretend, thats as close as it will ever get.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone about upgrading a dual 2.0 G5 to a dual 2.5 or higher?
Not economically possible. You would need to change the logicboard and power supply, at which point it would be cheaper to just sell the machine and buy what you want.

Jimmi 1973
Feb 15, 2010, 08:53 AM
No, the PPC and intel are completely different and it would require replacing everything but the case, disk drive and hard drive. In short, sell the 2.5 and buy an intel mac pro if intel is your wish.

Still im happy for my G5 just a little annoyed that there are some software that i cant install - even software from Appel...

300D
Feb 15, 2010, 07:45 PM
Part of life. I'm pissed I can't install Windows 3.1 on my G5, OS7.6 too, and thats from Apple!

johann sr
Nov 21, 2010, 06:03 AM
you can try a cpu pin mod, this has worked on several cpu's were the bios was locked, i have without incident went from 1.8 to 2.5 by using this mod without upgrading power supply or additional mods.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 21, 2010, 09:15 AM
you can try a cpu pin mod, this has worked on several cpu's were the bios was locked, i have without incident went from 1.8 to 2.5 by using this mod without upgrading power supply or additional mods.

You tried this successfully on a G5 CPU? Macs don't have a BIOS. Going from a 1.8>2.5 would dramatically increase heat on a G5. This is why Apple went to liquid cooling for the higher-end models. The G5 is a very hot CPU.

I tried doing this by changing around resisters but couldn't get anything. It worked fine on the G4 CPUs but I could never get anything to work on a G5. I compared the pin layout to various G5 CPUs: 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0. Guess I was just changing the wrong ones because it seemed all 3 CPUs were physically the same except for those resisters in different places.

Added:
On a side note, I know this thread has been dug up many times over but it is possible to upgrade the CPU with a faster one. I've successfully installed a 1.8ghz G5 CPU from a dual processor model onto a single 1.6ghz model. I also swapped the 1.6 CPU onto my dual 1.8 model and that worked. I even thought about picking up another 1.6 CPU to make a dual 1.6 configuration :D

BigDukeSix
Nov 30, 2010, 11:52 AM
I have a 1.6 G5 with a new HDD, 2.5 gb of RAM and running 10.5.8.
However, when I start Skype for example, the CPU useage still goes to !00% and it takes forever to synch up video and audio, and then video freezes after 3 to 5 minutes of use. Also, similar with Facebook. CPU jumps up to 100% useage, and when typing the text lags the keyboard by at least a second or two. I reckon it is just time for a new computer, unless anyone has any other hints.
I have also repaired permissions, and my HD is only about 20% full.

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 2, 2010, 04:53 PM
However, when I start Skype for example, the CPU useage still goes to !00% and it takes forever to synch up video and audio, and then video freezes after 3 to 5 minutes of use. Also, similar with Facebook. CPU jumps up to 100% useage, and when typing the text lags the keyboard by at least a second or two. I reckon it is just time for a new computer, unless anyone has any other hints.

Time to get a new computer. That single 1.6 struggles with what you are doing and why you get 100% CPU utilization and it will slow down to a crawl.

Lord Blackadder
Dec 2, 2010, 04:58 PM
As others have said, put as much RAM as possible, that's your best bet. You might also consider moving to a faster hard disk(s), that can speed things up considerably.

If you are willing to do LOTS of research and take a little risk you can upgrade the CPUs or overclock them but that's usually an activity restricted to hobbyists.

Finally, your BEST bet would be to try and get your hands on an Intel Mac, but there is still life left in the G5 for a while yet.

BigDukeSix
Dec 2, 2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input. Yup, I know the correct answer is to get a new computer. And, as soon as I get my new Macbook paid off, I will probably get a mini. But, the G5 will have to keep me going for awhile, but I will retire it to some other use, not get rid of it as I love the way it looks and has life left in it for sure.

raysfan81
Dec 7, 2010, 04:52 PM
Time to get a new computer. That single 1.6 struggles with what you are doing and why you get 100% CPU utilization and it will slow down to a crawl.

It would be faster to get a dual processor G4 MDD it will beat the 1.6 G5.

VanneDC
Dec 9, 2010, 01:30 AM
i had a dual 1.25 MDD and it was pretty dismal for todays uses, most notably the 1.0 usb is what frustrated me most, that, and the noise!!!

the G5 on the otherhand still has some life left in it :)

Nameci
Dec 19, 2010, 02:12 PM
I don't believe so, I have a PowerMac G4 1.42Ghz dual FW800 and it still smokes a 1.8GHz single G5...

Got Leopard in it, and the latest addition, an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro BTO, original card powering my 22" Acrylic ACD with all the QE/CI glory...

Sweet!

cocacolakid
Dec 19, 2010, 02:22 PM

You should also upgrade to a video card with significantly more RAM. Your 5200 only has 64mb of RAM onboard.

Search this forum and look online, the Radeon X850, 9650 and GeForce 6800 will all work with your G5 and have 256mb of RAM.

datamonger128
Dec 20, 2010, 11:39 PM

If you're still using the original hard drive, then replace that. Make it a storage drive. I have a 500GB Western Digital Caviar Green as my boot drive (planning on upgrading to a 1TB Black) and am using the original 160GB as a storage drive. If you're still using the original GeForceFX 5200, then you really need to upgrade the video card. This can be rather costly since it seems like all Mac graphics cards are expensive. If you are living in an area with an independently owned computer store that services Macs, you may be able to get a new GPU for rather cheap as many of these places tend to salvage parts from dead systems. Also, since you have the lowest-end version of the G5, you are limited to a maximum of 4GB PC-2700 DDR. There is hope for you to still breathe life into your G5, but it will come at a cost. I personally recommend that you just buy one of the new Mac minis that just came out. I plan on doing so myself.

BigDukeSix
Dec 21, 2010, 07:06 AM
If you're still using the original hard drive, then replace that. Make it a storage drive. I have a 500GB Western Digital Caviar Green as my boot drive (planning on upgrading to a 1TB Black) and am using the original 160GB as a storage drive. If you're still using the original GeForceFX 5200, then you really need to upgrade the video card. This can be rather costly since it seems like all Mac graphics cards are expensive. If you are living in an area with an independently owned computer store that services Macs, you may be able to get a new GPU for rather cheap as many of these places tend to salvage parts from dead systems. Also, since you have the lowest-end version of the G5, you are limited to a maximum of 4GB PC-2700 DDR. There is hope for you to still breathe life into your G5, but it will come at a cost. I personally recommend that you just buy one of the new Mac minis that just came out. I plan on doing so myself.

I did upgrade the HD and now use the original as the backup and the new drive as the boot, but no change. So, I will just keep using the G5 as is until I can afford a new Mini as my desktop. I will certainly keep the G5 around tho as I do like it. Thanks all for the advice!

datamonger128
Dec 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
I did upgrade the HD and now use the original as the backup and the new drive as the boot, but no change. So, I will just keep using the G5 as is until I can afford a new Mini as my desktop. I will certainly keep the G5 around tho as I do like it. Thanks all for the advice!

If you're not opposed to Macs that have been refurbished by third parties, you may want to check out Mac of All Trades and DV Warehouse. I've gotten systems from both companies and have had no problems at all. Though I should note that the only thing I've gotten from DV Warehouse is my G5 and that came in about a week ago.

BigDukeSix
Dec 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
If you're not opposed to Macs that have been refurbished by third parties, you may want to check out Mac of All Trades and DV Warehouse. I've gotten systems from both companies and have had no problems at all. Though I should note that the only thing I've gotten from DV Warehouse is my G5 and that came in about a week ago.

Amazingly enough, DV Warehouse is where I got my G5 about a year ago when my IMac G4 croaked. I am never opposed to buying used. I will check out Mac of all Trades. Thanks for the info.

BigDukeSix
Dec 22, 2010, 08:26 AM
One more question, would a low end 1.6 ghz Intel Mini outperform my 1.6 G5?

cocacolakid
Dec 22, 2010, 09:23 AM
One more question, would a low end 1.6 ghz Intel Mini outperform my 1.6 G5?

Checking out their Geekbench scores, a 1.6 G5 averaged a 922 score, while a 1.6 Intel Mini averaged 2148, so yes. A 1.5 Mac Mini Intel single core averaged 1387.

Geekbench Mac scores (http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/)

Keep in mind though that those scores are averages based on individual users' scores. Some of those have maxed out RAM and larger hard drives than they were shipped with, so the scores are a little higher than a stock configuration Mac would get, but it's still a good way to compare performance.

BigDukeSix
Dec 22, 2010, 09:56 AM
Checking out their Geekbench scores, a 1.6 G5 averaged a 922 score, while a 1.6 Intel Mini averaged 2148, so yes. A 1.5 Mac Mini Intel single core averaged 1387.

Geekbench Mac scores (http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/)

Keep in mind though that those scores are averages based on individual users' scores. Some of those have maxed out RAM and larger hard drives than they were shipped with, so the scores are a little higher than a stock configuration Mac would get, but it's still a good way to compare performance.

Very interesting that the Intel processor is so much more efficient than the PPC of the same clocked speed. Thanks for the info!

macdudeguy
Dec 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
...when something seems too far fetched to be true, it usually is. Geekbench is worthless. Most benchmark suites are, but Geekbench is even more moody than most.

If you want to directly compare the power of two machines, load them up with the same software and have them execute the same task. An encode, for example.

A 1.6GHz Core Solo is not 2.5x faster than a 1.6GHz G5. Well, except maybe at executing x86 code. :)

BigDukeSix
Dec 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Are there any sites that do comparisons that are accurate? I do not want to get a used 1.6 Intel Mini for cheap if it is not much better than my 1.6 PPC G5. I do not have the opportunity to test them side by side, although I agree that would be the best way to judge for sure.

macdudeguy
Dec 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
BareFeats used to and the test pages are probably still on the site, but I don't think anybody has cared enough about PowerPC hardware to bench it against the newer Intel stuff for several years.

Also, I just remembered that the 1.66GHz Intel mini is a dual-core, so that adds some credence to the Geekbench results; of course 2x 1.66GHz is going to be faster than 1x 1.6GHz.

Geekbench is still silly though.

All that said, I don't understand the logic in going from any Power Mac G5 to an early generation mini. You're not going to get a huge performance jump, particularly when taking into account the crap integrated graphics of the first minis. So you'll be sacrificing the build quality and expandability of the G5 for... another old machine that isn't anywhere near as expandable, anywhere near as well built/engineered/thought-out, and is also on the edge of being nearly as obsolete as the G5?

BigDukeSix
Dec 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
BareFeats used to and the test pages are probably still on the site, but I don't think anybody has cared enough about PowerPC hardware to bench it against the newer Intel stuff for several years.

Also, I just remembered that the 1.66GHz Intel mini is a dual-core, so that adds some credence to the Geekbench results; of course 2x 1.66GHz is going to be faster than 1x 1.6GHz.

Geekbench is still silly though.

All that said, I don't understand the logic in going from any Power Mac G5 to an early generation mini. You're not going to get a huge performance jump, particularly when taking into account the crap integrated graphics of the first minis. So you'll be sacrificing the build quality and expandability of the G5 for... another old machine that isn't anywhere near as expandable, anywhere near as well built/engineered/thought-out, and is also on the edge of being nearly as obsolete as the G5?

Good points. I agree, I really do not want to just slightly upgrade in order to save some money. My intent is to save some $$ so I can get the newest Mini sometime in the next few months.

macdudeguy
Dec 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
Good plan. I never recommend old minis to anybody. Their resale value is so much higher than the hardware in the machines is worth, and when compared to the new generation mini the old ones are also much more difficult to upgrade.

I have a hard time looking down on the new mini, though. It really is a beautiful piece of hardware. It may not be the fastest machine $700 can buy, but the cleverness of the design and the ease with which memory and such can be accessed.... I love it. And if I had a reason to get one, I would.

I've pushed a friend in that direction, except he's coming from an old Dual 450MHz G4 with 832MBs of RAM. That will be a night and day experience when he first gets a chance to use his the mini.

gswallow
Feb 5, 2011, 10:31 AM
Let's dig it up one more time. Dual 2.0GHz G5 processors can be had in pairs on eBay for $75 or Best Offer. Figure it might be worth a try. I have a Dual 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac that has changes already: 4GB RAM, ATI 256MB Dual DVI AGP Video, Twin 500GB HDD, Pioneer DL DVD-RW+/-, and Leopard.

System died during the three hurricanes that went through Central Florida in 2004. PowerMac, bought in second half of 2003, was on UPS and line conditioner while we had no power for 11 days. After 10 days in the store the $900+ service charge was covered under warranty and they change the motherboard; some kind of sensor went. Since then, using S/N (Serial Number (system): RM431Z61QES) on Apple's site does not show a Dual 1.8GHz G5 as an option (Single 1.6, Single 1.8, and Dual 2.0 only). So figuring Dual 2.0GHz drop in might be something this replacement motherboard could handle.

Not much speed increase to justify the cost before now, but, with Apple going intel, Motorola CPU prices have been dropping. Am figuring should get a set before they're gone.

Going up to 2.5GHz would probably be less than $200 for the CPU pair, but I figure they'd be liquid cooled (right) and require a logic board change (MO MONEY)? Am thinking I should be able to get away with dropping in a pair of 2.0GHz G5 processors for around $50 to $75 on an eBay.

Opinions? Ideas? Step-by-Step CPU replacement?

VanneDC
Feb 5, 2011, 03:56 PM
you will not notice a change in performance, going from dual 1.8 to dual 2.0..

if its free, sure do it, otherwise don't bother. I actually really liked my dual 1.8ghz, was way quieter than the dual 2.0/2.3 that replaced it...

anyways, hope your all having fun.

I do just love the PM G5, there still a great box... esp in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.. (just a shame WoW doesnt ply ball anymore )

in regards to upgrading to a Mac mini 1.66 from the 1.6ghz.. be very careful what you get as the included GMA 950 in the early core mini's suck hard!! they suck much, much harder than the older PPC mac mini with dedicated video..

I had both as the lure of the Core cpu led me to buy a mini to swap out with my older PPC (media centre purposes)(Oced to 1.5ghz) mini... I used it for 5 days than went back to my old PPC mini as the colour reproduction on the intel mini was atrocious.

The difference was night and day..

venomz
Feb 7, 2011, 02:57 AM
Support for PPC macs is basically dead except for security updates, most actively developed mac software is going from the Universal Binary to the Intel only route.

At this point PPC is truly a dead end, buy a Mac Mini.

The current mac minis are significantly more powerful and use a lot less energy than those aging G5 towers. The mac minis are honestly, hardly cutting edge themselves, but this is what happens over the course of seven or eight years of technological innovation.

300D
Feb 7, 2011, 03:01 AM
the current Mac Minis significantly more powerful and use significantly less energy than those aging G5 towers

That is false information.

venomz
Feb 7, 2011, 03:10 AM

No it isn't.

Only the highest end Quad G5 towers are neck and neck with the base 2.4ghz mac mini in terms of performance.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10797916&postcount=12

Furthermore, Apple now offers a faster 2.6ghz model Mac Mini.

The G5s also consume substantially more energy.

300D
Feb 7, 2011, 03:26 AM
No it isn't.

Only the highest end Quad G5 towers are neck and neck with the base 2.4ghz mac mini in terms of performance. That is false information. Both the Dual CPU and Dual Core 2.3 are well matched to the mini. Then the Dual CPU 2.5, Dual CPU 2.7 and Quad 2.5 well surpass it in power.

Furthermore, Apple now offers a faster 2.6ghz model Mac Mini.
Which leaves only the Dual CPU 2.5, Dual CPU 2.7 and Quad 2.5 as being more powerful. Hence the reason these 5-6 year old computers still command a higher price than a brand new mini.

The G5s also consume substantially more energy.
Which has no noteworthy impact on cost of ownership. The power consumption difference between a Mini and a G5 is less than $35/year. If such a low amount is a strain on your budget, you shouldn't even be considering buying a new computer.

venomz
Feb 7, 2011, 04:25 AM

That is false information. Both the Dual CPU and Dual Core 2.3 are well matched to the mini. Then the Dual CPU 2.5, Dual CPU 2.7 and Quad 2.5 well surpass it in power.

Which leaves only the Dual CPU 2.5, Dual CPU 2.7 and Quad 2.5 as being more powerful. Hence the reason these 5-6 year old computers still command a higher price than a brand new mini.

Which has no noteworthy impact on cost of ownership. The power consumption difference between a Mini and a G5 is less than $35/year. If such a low amount is a strain on your budget, you shouldn't even be considering buying a new computer.

I disagree, only the Quad G5 is going to compare favorably to the 2.4ghz mac mini.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3843/apple-mac-mini-review-mid-2010/8

The mini is much more reliable, nearly silent, and an order of magnitude better in terms of energy efficiency. The difference in terms of real dollars is closer to $50 and although it isn't that much in terms of real money, it still represents the difference between running an additional large, energy hungry appliance such as a 50' flat screen TV and running something that is much more reasonable.

If you only want to compare the relative power demands in terms of operating cost, thats fine but the difference in terms of heat dissipation is dramatic. A G5 tower will turn any room into a hot house in the absence of good air flow, while the heat contributed a mini to any indoor space is virtually negligible.

The highest end G5 towers still command a healthy price for two primary reasons and their relative performance to Intel macs isn't one of them. If this were a rational market that was based around performance and overall usability instead of nostalgia and collectibility, the fact that PPC macs are at a relative dead end in terms of software support and are about to hit the EOL phase, which will only accelerate now that developers are transitioning to the Intel-only Mac App Store, would factor much more heavily into their pricing.

Their value is due to to their relative rarity. Not that many Quad 2.5ghz and Dual 2.7ghz configurations were sold to begin with and a significant amount of them have either been lost to time, or have died due to issues with their liquid cooling systems. The other is that there are a sufficient amount of suitably nostalgic people who wish to collect these machines.

grinny20800
Aug 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've seen people talking about upgrading their hard drives on their G5s.

I've seen on the technical specs page of the apple website for the G5, the hard drive used is of the SATA type, my question is, is there a difference between SATA and SATAII. If so what are the differences and can I use a SATAII such as this (http://www.ebuyer.com/183971-western-digital-wd20ears-2tb-hard-drive-sataii-64mb-cache-oem-caviar-wd20ears) one, keeping my original 160gb hard drive for storge?

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

chrismacguy
Aug 24, 2011, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've seen people talking about upgrading their hard drives on their G5s.

I've seen on the technical specs page of the apple website for the G5, the hard drive used is of the SATA type, my question is, is there a difference between SATA and SATAII. If so what are the differences and can I use a SATAII such as this (http://www.ebuyer.com/183971-western-digital-wd20ears-2tb-hard-drive-sataii-64mb-cache-oem-caviar-wd20ears) one, keeping my original 160gb hard drive for storge?

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

(1) Post a new thread over hijacking/reusing one from 6 months ago, your more likely to gain responses by doing this.

(2) In general most SATA II drives can be told to run at SATA I speeds (which is the only difference between the 2, SATA 1 is half the speed of SATA 2, but over the same connector) by use of a jumper. The WD Blue in my Mac Pro used to be in a G5 before I upgraded, and it ran fine in SATA 1 mode. Just google the drive model and SATA I Compatibility if it isnt already listed on the site - the manufacturers site will definitely tell you.

DeJayCE
Sep 23, 2012, 05:21 AM
Looking at this post is it at all possible to load "Snow Leopard" onto a PPC based Mac? :confused:

I thought that "Snow Leopard" was only for intel based mac's only?:confused:

justperry
Sep 23, 2012, 06:12 AM
Looking at this post is it at all possible to load "Snow Leopard" onto a PPC based Mac? :confused:

I thought that "Snow Leopard" was only for intel based mac's only?:confused:

Where in all the 2 pages before your post is it mentioned that a PPC can run SNOW Leopard???
Nowhere.
And, this is also an old thread, bumping it for what?

orestes1984
Sep 24, 2012, 06:12 AM
What's with the thread necromancy? NO WAY NO, HOW!

NO!

There is no way you can run Snow Leopard on a PPC Mac, there is no PPC code for it to run, it's design for a completely different CPU architecture. The best you can do is run Xslimmer on 10.5, it's basically the same OS.

hackerwayne
Oct 12, 2012, 06:45 AM
Lets bring the thread up once more, does the Single 1.6GHz G5 significantly quieter then 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 dual?

nforce4max
Oct 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Lets bring the thread up once more, does the Single 1.6GHz G5 significantly quieter then 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 dual?

Any can run quiet provided that it is pretty cool in the room and the coolers are spotless. What I would like to know is if I decided to hunt down a 2ghz G5 cpu and try to upgrade my single 1.8ghz to a single 2ghz if it would work. I have been hunting around and there is like literally 5 posts on the net. :(

What I have found is that it could boot up but with the cpu in safe mode (running at 1.3ghz) while some seamed to have gotten full clocks. Another suggested that it should work after thermal calibration. So are there any experts who have tried this on their own time or know someone who has?

PM 2004 model
Current specs, single 1.8ghz G5, 5GB total system ram, two sata drives, and a crummy fx5200.

gavinstubbs09
Mar 3, 2014, 02:53 AM
Alive once again!

So I've been thinking about it, and I can get a dual 2.5GHz pair out of a 2004 G5 for $70. And for $80 I can get a new case to fix my current one with a broken leg. I'm willing to do that but I believe I will need a new motherboard due to the bus speeds and whatnot from a early 2005 DP2.0 to work right.

I'm almost tempted to, or for the same $150 I can probably get either a DC2.3 and not have to do any work to it. I could probably spend another $80 on a proper dual 2.5 motherboard, but that's more money to put down when I could probably get a quad instead.

Any ideas to what I shall do? Big ol money pit!