PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: San Diego, CA

jeffrawles
Jun 15, 2007, 12:16 PM
Just curious, plus might be fun to have someone to talk to that ISN'T a airhead college student with no love for apple.:eek: :eek:

wako
Jun 15, 2007, 12:26 PM
Just curious, plus might be fun to have someone to talk to that ISN'T a airhead college student with no love for apple.:eek: :eek:

i guess you would love my college then... there are ALOT of mac users

sdphotog
Jun 15, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'll probably head over to the Fashion Valley store a few hours early. I guess how early depends on how long the line is and how busy I am.

kyleman2k
Jun 15, 2007, 12:33 PM
i'm pretty sure anyone who is camping out for this thing has to have a hell of a lot (hella for all you cali peeps) of love for apple.

rhagen
Jun 15, 2007, 01:45 PM
i'm pretty sure anyone who is camping out for this thing has to have a hell of a lot (hella for all you cali peeps) of love for apple.

hella is nor-cal not so-cal.......

sportsfanMAW
Jun 15, 2007, 02:12 PM
hella is nor-cal not so-cal.......

yup hella is my stomping grounds :D

berkleeboy210
Jun 16, 2007, 10:51 PM
Where's everyone in the Boston Area headed on the 29th? We have like 6 or 7 apple stores to choose from, and a ton of ATT Stores.

I'm debating whether to go to Cambridgeside, or the ATT store on Boylston St. by Copley Square.

Checking things out around noon, if there's a line then, I'm staying. if not I'll just stay in the mall for the afternoon checking back periodically.

Just wanted to get opinions from my fellow people in the Bean!

siurpeeman
Jun 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'll probably head over to the Fashion Valley store a few hours early. I guess how early depends on how long the line is and how busy I am.

i wouldn't want to wait at fashion valley or utc. wouldn't you rather buy from an at&t store?

voicegy
Jun 23, 2007, 02:59 PM
I was just about to create a San Diego specific post for iPhone "campouts" when I searched and came across this one - ya beat me to it!

San Diego native here, probably a lot older than most of you lot (49) and Apple user since the Apple II days...but that's beside the point. I'm definitely getting an iPhone on June 29...here's some strategy I'm working on...

Although it would be WAY cool to be at the Fashion Valley store come Friday, we all know what a complete ZOO that's going to be, so while doing some research for what AT&T store may be the "best bet" for actually having a chance at getting one that night, I picked the Chula Vista mall AT&T store - I figure that most folks will relate the iPhone to "Apple" and head to UTC or FV, and might ignore the AT&T stores.

There's a lot of AT&T stores in town that will probably be carrying the phone (Scripps Ranch, La Jolla, Downtown SD, Mission Valley, etc.) but for my money, I would 'surmise' that the one in the mall at 555 Broadway in CV might be less crowded - or even the one in Santee. I used the store locater here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store

Age doesn't always equate to wisdom :rolleyes: so I'm willing to hear other strategy opinions. What I have planned in my little mind, so far, is this:

Take Friday off. Get up early. Drive over to FV Mall Apple store to "see what's going on" at, say, 7 in the morning. (I don't think the mall would let anyone spend the previous night there.) If there's maybe 20 people there (conservitive estimate, I'm sure) I'll pitch my tent. If it's a madhouse, then go over to Chula Vista AT&T store.

Input, anyone?

FreeState
Jun 23, 2007, 03:59 PM
Take Friday off. Get up early. Drive over to FV Mall Apple store to "see what's going on" at, say, 7 in the morning. (I don't think the mall would let anyone spend the previous night there.) If there's maybe 20 people there (conservitive estimate, I'm sure) I'll pitch my tent. If it's a madhouse, then go over to Chula Vista AT&T store.

Input, anyone?

Im thinking of FV. I work in Hillcrest and Im going to take a half day - maybe we could set up a email list of interested people here to keep tabs on the best place to purchase. FV, BTW is one of Apple's busiest stores - in the top 5 I believe, so they are bound to have more iPhones than UTC etc.

Im switching from Sprint with my partner - he may not want the iPhone - has not decided yet - but I am buying with Gift Cards I have saved up for a few years - so Im not sure how its going to work for us - buy and then go to AT&T to switch services and get my partners phone? I might call and ask what we should do...

z400central
Jun 23, 2007, 04:06 PM
I was just about to create a San Diego specific post for iPhone "campouts" when I searched and came across this one - ya beat me to it!

San Diego native here, probably a lot older than most of you lot (49) and Apple user since the Apple II days...but that's beside the point. I'm definitely getting an iPhone on June 29...here's some strategy I'm working on...

Although it would be WAY cool to be at the Fashion Valley store come Friday, we all know what a complete ZOO that's going to be, so while doing some research for what AT&T store may be the "best bet" for actually having a chance at getting one that night, I picked the Chula Vista mall AT&T store - I figure that most folks will relate the iPhone to "Apple" and head to UTC or FV, and might ignore the AT&T stores.

There's a lot of AT&T stores in town that will probably be carrying the phone (Scripps Ranch, La Jolla, Downtown SD, Mission Valley, etc.) but for my money, I would 'surmise' that the one in the mall at 555 Broadway in CV might be less crowded - or even the one in Santee. I used the store locater here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store

Age doesn't always equate to wisdom :rolleyes: so I'm willing to hear other strategy opinions. What I have planned in my little mind, so far, is this:

Input, anyone?

Good plan! I wanted to head to FV just to see the crowds.

Imagine how crowded the irvine apple store will be!

rmapple
Jun 25, 2007, 10:25 AM
I'll go to Fashion Valley too. Previously worked at that Apple Store, so I know a bunch of people there;)

Cackeezy
Jun 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
Anyone coming down to Apple Store Chula Vista? I haven't been there in awhile, so I don't know if they have the iPhone displays yet.

http://www.apple.com/retail/otayranch/week/20070624.html

voicegy
Jun 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
Anyone coming down to Apple Store Chula Vista? I haven't been there in awhile, so I don't know if they have the iPhone displays yet.

http://www.apple.com/retail/otayranch/week/20070624.html

I would bet the AT&T store in Chula Vista might be better, crowd wise. I drove there 2 weekends ago, and they had the posters in the windows and I asked if they were carrying it, so that's confirmed - the one in the mall at 555 Broadway...I honestly didn't know there was an Apple store in Chula Vista until you mentioned it.

imacgeek
Jun 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, I thought a lot about the apple stores then realized that even though they are getting more units, it would be smarter to go to a small AT&T store. There is on in north County that is off the 78 freeway that has only been open a month or two and it is never busy. I was thinking of heading over there right at 4:00 or 4:30 and if there is a crowd, heading east on the 78 where you can find a few more within 10 miles. My first one is in the San Marcos area so cross your fingers!

voicegy
Jun 25, 2007, 11:39 AM
Hey guys, I thought a lot about the apple stores then realized that even though they are getting more units, it would be smarter to go to a small AT&T store. There is on in north County that is off the 78 freeway that has only been open a month or two and it is never busy. I was thinking of heading over there right at 4:00 or 4:30 and if there is a crowd, heading east on the 78 where you can find a few more within 10 miles. My first one is in the San Marcos area so cross your fingers!

Which one is that one? Confirmation that they are carrying the phone? Location(s)?

jeffrawles
Jun 25, 2007, 11:50 AM
In Chula Vista, but alas. That is where I will be. Hey voice guy... I had an Apple IIe does that count?

Cackeezy
Jun 25, 2007, 12:00 PM
preparation for iPhone?? :D

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/welcome/index.jsp

Dustinndiego
Jun 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
I have a couple ideas about what is going to be the best way to secure an "iPhone in San Diego. I am passionate about the brand and have yet to find someone local with my level of "interest" in Apple products. See if you can get a group together to stand in line, or just hang out together.

voicegy
Jun 25, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have a couple ideas about what is going to be the best way to secure an "iPhone in San Diego. I am passionate about the brand and have yet to find someone local with my level of "interest" in Apple products. See if you can get a group together to stand in line, or just hang out together.

You've found a group of passionate, local Apple folks right here. There's plenty others that don't visit MacRumors that share our passion...Share your ideas with us in this thread!:D

goncode
Jun 25, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'm definetely going to an At&t store, the one off the 78 sounds good to me.

hokullani
Jun 25, 2007, 02:20 PM
Here is some advice,
If you are planning on going to the fashion valley store you might want to make sure they are done with construction, last time i was there the store was mostly closed except for the room the size of my closet that was packed! so you might want to head to the UTC store, plus at the UTC store there is an ATT booth right outside that can answer some questions for any new people to ATT.

If you live in encinitas like i do there is only one ATT owned store by the target shopping center, all the rest are pretty far away. Also there is a starbucks and a subway right next to it so there will be food and a bathroom available.

I personally am going to have my dad check the lines on his way to work and i will go every hour to check the lines and see if i need to line up.

by the way the starbucks also has a tmobile hot spot so i am bringing my powerbook to get online and be ready to order a phone online if i don't get one at the store! just an ideahttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

pksteffen
Jun 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
The La Jolla Cingular (Now ATT) store told me they will NOT have stock. Make sure you check with them before you plan anything. Some of the smaller stores may not be part of the launch.

I was surprised...

All the best,
Paul

lorax3
Jun 25, 2007, 02:58 PM
Although I may not buy a phone I will be heading down to Fashion Valley with some video equipment in case there is a riot when Apple Employees open up the doors, or when the Fed-EX guy shows up.

Not to mention I would love interview some folks in line in order to find some Mac Power Users like myself, and to see who in line really knows what the phone can/cannot do, or to find those who are buying an iPhone because its "Hip".
See you There.

-lorax

scotty588
Jun 25, 2007, 05:51 PM
If you live in encinitas like i do there is only one ATT owned store by the target shopping center, all the rest are pretty far away. Also there is a starbucks and a subway right next to it so there will be food and a bathroom available.
I live in La Costa Valley right near that one. I have to work though so I am not really sure what I am going to do yet.

gschumsky
Jun 25, 2007, 06:20 PM
Chula Vista at the Otay Ranch mall might be a good choice (off Eastlake and Olympic Parkway). Nice mall (the wife really likes it...so that gives me a reason to hang out there), and it's kind of out of the way if you don't want to deal with huge crowds. I just want to see what the final cost of the data/voice plans will be. Hopefully Apple will curb AT&T from gouging. The only issue I really have is the phone may not work up in the hills of Jamul, since supposedly reception got worse when they switched from Cingular. But to have the opp to wave it in the faces of all the smartphone Crackberry and Q users here who like to dis Apple (though for some reason they all like to check out my Intel Mac and keep asking how they can get a real computer too), will be priceless.

Btw, Voicegy, you wouldn't happen to be Scott would you?

gschumsky
Jun 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
Here is some advice,
If you are planning on going to the fashion valley store you might want to make sure they are done with construction,

They were open completely for business last Friday when I went by. It's a lot like Chula Vista and UTC..about as big as CV.

Ilovemyipod
Jun 25, 2007, 06:35 PM
:apple: I'm about to move there and when i was there, there was a mall i drove through and i saw an apple store. it is a new mall so it is kind of on the down low. it is in Otay Ranch (chula vista) kinda by the olympic trainning facility if you know were that is so check it out it shouldn't be busy on July 29 (when the phone is reinvented;) ) well i hope not.:apple:

:apple: P.S The ADDRESS is 2015 Birch Road, Chula Vista, CA 91915:apple:

voicegy
Jun 25, 2007, 06:48 PM

Yuppers.:)

voicegy
Jun 25, 2007, 06:52 PM
:apple: I'm about to move there and when i was there, there was a mall i drove through and i saw an apple store. it is a new mall so it is kind of on the down low. it is in Otay Ranch (chula vista) kinda by the olympic trainning facility if you know were that is so check it out it shouldn't be busy on July 29 (when the phone is reinvented;) ) well i hope not.:apple:

:apple: P.S The ADDRESS is 2015 Birch Road, Chula Vista, CA 91915:apple:

Yes, that was brought up by Cackeezy earlier in this thread - I was completely taken aback by that - as an Apple geek and native San Diegan, I was surprised I didn't even know that...might be a good one to go to! I'm still betting on an AT&T store, though, for a quicker in and out experience/less crowds..but who knows...

Ilovemyipod
Jun 25, 2007, 07:14 PM
:apple: Apple should of made iTunes on iPhone so you could buy songs right on ur iPhone That would be kind of cool:apple: DO YOU THINK SO?:apple:

chakote
Jun 25, 2007, 07:31 PM
They're saving that for iPhone software release 1.0.1

lfcfan858
Jun 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
Here is some advice,
If you are planning on going to the fashion valley store you might want to make sure they are done with construction, last time i was there the store was mostly closed except for the room the size of my closet that was packed! I was just there a couple of days ago and it's back to normal. In fact, it looks wider and more open than ever. They did a really nice job getting it ready for the launch.

apretto
Jun 25, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Everyone,

Im a college Student at the U of A in Tucson Arizona but Im home for summer in Sunny San Diego. Plus Im a apple supporter and lover. I currently own two macs my self as well as two ipods. And my sis has two of each to. So when Friday comes I plan to go to some store in SD with my dad and pick up the Jesus Phone. I havent decided on where to stake out. But I live in Mission Hills so fashion is the closest. I was at the FV store today and they said that mall security would probably kick people out if they plan to sleep over. So i bet that line wont start til the morning. But I have the option to get in line whenever. But I just to make sure that I pick one up.

How early do u all think att lines will start.
What do u all think is the estimated stock # units coming.
Has anyone called any stores

lfcfan858
Jun 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
Anybody going to the AT&T in Carmel Mountain Ranch?

Cackeezy
Jun 26, 2007, 12:55 AM
Chula Vista at the Otay Ranch mall might be a good choice (off Eastlake and Olympic Parkway). Nice mall (the wife really likes it...so that gives me a reason to hang out there), and it's kind of out of the way if you don't want to deal with huge crowds. I just want to see what the final cost of the data/voice plans will be. Hopefully Apple will curb AT&T from gouging. The only issue I really have is the phone may not work up in the hills of Jamul, since supposedly reception got worse when they switched from Cingular. But to have the opp to wave it in the faces of all the smartphone Crackberry and Q users here who like to dis Apple (though for some reason they all like to check out my Intel Mac and keep asking how they can get a real computer too), will be priceless.

Don't know that many Schumsky's, is this Greg, by any chance?:)
If so, I hear you on the Crackberry and Q users, not to mention BlackJack. ha

Cackeezy
Jun 26, 2007, 01:13 AM
Yes, that was brought up by Cackeezy earlier in this thread - I was completely taken aback by that - as an Apple geek and native San Diegan, I was surprised I didn't even know that...might be a good one to go to! I'm still betting on an AT&T store, though, for a quicker in and out experience/less crowds..but who knows...

I live about 2 min. away from Apple CV, but I've been too busy to run by and check the store for any recent iPhone displays. Ironically, I stopped by Apple FV earlier this evening shopping with my fiance. :D

I'm like you Voice, I'll prolly hit up an AT&T/Cingular?? store and get set-up. Although, I'll miss the other fans at the Apple stores. It's fate: my V3 RAZR 2-year contract ended in 5/2007 and they're bugging me to upgrade. Hmmm...what shall I choose??

Lastly, I hope they announce plans soon...two words: "Municipal Wi-Fi" (or 3 depending how you look at it)

-Cack

isaaccubed
Jun 26, 2007, 05:03 AM
I am planning to camp out the night of the 28th in front of an apple store but can't decide which one. Judging by the things I've read in this thread, the Chula Vista apple store is looking promising, although very far from where I live in Ramona. The only reason I'm going for the Chula Vista store is because it is right next to the parking lot, and looks like you wouldn't get kicked out for camping out in line...but I've never actually been there so I have no idea.

If you had to choose between the UTC, Fasion Valley, or Chula Vista store, which would you pick?

For some reason, I just dont get a good feeling about buying my iphone from an AT&T store...rather buy from the source :D

gugy
Jun 26, 2007, 12:20 PM
Can anybody tell me the quality of AT&T (Cingular) reception in San Diego, specially la Jolla? I used to have PacBell, right before they became Cingular and it was sucks. It's has been 5 years ago, I presume. Is it any better now?

That's the only thing keeping me from getting the iPhone. I currently have Verizon and it is OK for the most part.

I appreciate the feedback.

gschumsky
Jun 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
Don't know that many Schumsky's, is this Greg, by any chance?:)
If so, I hear you on the Crackberry and Q users, not to mention BlackJack. ha

Yep, that's me! Who's this?

gschumsky
Jun 26, 2007, 12:28 PM
Can anybody tell me the quality of AT&T (Cingular) reception in San Diego, specially la Jolla? I used to have PacBell, right before they became Cingular and it was sucks. It's has been 5 years ago, I presume. Is it any better now?

That's the only thing keeping me from getting the iPhone. I currently have Verizon and it is OK for the most part.

I appreciate the feedback.

Don't know about La Jolla, but supposedly isn't great in Jamul...used to be really bad 7 years ago. We had to drive slowly along our road to find a spot with at least one bar.

Cackeezy
Jun 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
In case you haven't seen yet, rates are posted:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

voicegy
Jun 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well, since the plans came out and the iTunes integration has been revealed for what it really is, the news is great. No waiting in line at either Apple or AT&T stores for activation - perfect, sweet, amazing, easy. Way to go, Apple.:p

I feel better about going to an Apple store now instead of an AT&T store - sure, it'll be a Zoo, but sure would be more fun. I'm still deciding...

None of us know when lines are going to start at any store - that's up to if they're in a mall (no overnights) or not. Some folks may show up at the crack of dawn, others anytime after that. Anyones' guess.

None of us know the exact iPhone "head count" at any store - could be anywhere from 100 - 400. Again, that's anyones' guess, although I would surmise Apple stores would have more stock - only a guess.

I've called a few stores, just to see if they are carrying it or not. Good thing to do before you make your "which store should I go to" plans. They won't tell you anything else that's not already out in the wild, not even how many phones they're getting.

I guess we're lucky in this area that there are so many choices before us - and I have a feeling that all stores will be fairly well stocked for this mad first-day interest. Doesn't look like we can all get together at the same place to hang out, but it doesn't look like we even need to - at this point I'm figuring go with your gut and go ahead and choose something close by.

The only thing I know for sure is that I'll cruise by the FV Apple store early Friday morning to get a "taste" for what's going on. If there's any way to hang out there and be one of, say, the first hundred or so, I'll just stay. If not, Chula Vista AT&T for me.

apretto
Jun 26, 2007, 12:50 PM
Now that the rates have been released I assume more people will go to the Apple Store either FV UTC or CV. Depending on where they live. So that being said all three will be zoos but very exciting I anticipate. I live close to FV so that my top choice. I was there yesterday and they said overnight campers would probably get kicked out by mall security. But then would be the earliest on Friday. Like 5am , 8am , what cause store doesnt open til 10 prob.
Well See.

Christo1
Jun 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
Hey guys

I'm a UCSD student living in the UTC area, but I'm not sure whether I should head on over to the UTC store which is very small as I remember it or the FV store. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards FV for if in the event they run out of stock or the line is insane, I'm pretty central so I can head over somewhere else, probably CV.

If any of you guys are comfortable with it, I'm more than willing to exchange some numbers so day of, we can do some txt updates on store lines or info which may be given to those in line by apple employees concerning limited amount of stock or if they're saturated with iphones for everyone.

voicegy
Jun 26, 2007, 04:42 PM
If any of you guys are comfortable with it, I'm more than willing to exchange some numbers so day of, we can do some txt updates on store lines or info which may be given to those in line by apple employees concerning limited amount of stock or if they're saturated with iphones for everyone.

I was going to mention the same thing - yeah, I'm very comfortable with that idea, and I think it's great. Please use voice, not text, with me.

voicegy (Scott) - Current cell # = 619 807-9815
(this number will change soon);)

isaaccubed
Jun 26, 2007, 04:49 PM

I would definitely be okay with exchanging numbers with people...I can't decide which store to wait in front of (CV,FV,or UTC) and would love to know what the lines are like before I choose one. I am leaning more towards chula vista right now just because it look like you would be able to stay overnight, and more people know about the other 2 apple stores, so it might be less crowded there....but who knows.

My Number is: XXX-XXX-XXXX

You can text or call me...either is fine.

goncode
Jun 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hey it would be great to have like a service that you send a text message to with the line waiting info, then everyone who is register with that service gets it. Sorta like an online text messaging chat.

Christo1
Jun 26, 2007, 05:35 PM
Ok guys, lets get a list going then. Copy and paste this list in your post with your added info if you're interested in a number exchange. I guess put down your forum name, real name, phone number, planned location, and time you're planning on arriving at the said location and if you prefer txts, voice or both. This way, you can call the person during a time you know he or she is on site and waiting.

Christo1 - Chris - 408.569.6881 - FV - 3:00PM - txt or voice
voicegy - Scott - 619.807.9815 - ? - ? - voice only
isaaccubed - ? -760-207-6693 - ? - ? - txt or voice

voicegy
Jun 26, 2007, 05:37 PM
voicegy - Scott - 619.807.9815 - FV - 7:00AM then maybe CV AT&T? - voice only

underwater
Jun 26, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'll be at UTC. Here's my thinking. There won't be a shortage of phones Friday night, but a limited number of sales transactions at each store. I'm betting the ATT stores will be an unorganized mess.... at best they will have 4 registers averaging 5 min per transaction. that's 200 phones. I bet apple UTC can move close to 800 phones Friday night and another 2,000 over the weekend.

You know apple stores will be will well stocked for the weekend and that they will have many more salespeople with wireless credit card machines walking down the line, etc... I bought ipods at xmas via the wireless creditcard machines and it was a 1 minute transaction.

UTC will also have the party atmosphere, TV crews, etc.

However, your safest bet of getting a phone Friday night in San Diego *has* to be the Chula Vista Apple store. The best bet of getting an iphone by early next week is ordering online at 6pm EDT Friday.

Cheers,
Roger

Ilovemyipod
Jun 26, 2007, 06:38 PM
I'll be at UTC. Here's my thinking. There won't be a shortage of phones Friday night, but a limited number of sales transactions at each store. I'm betting the ATT stores will be an unorganized mess.... at best they will have 4 registers averaging 5 min per transaction. that's 200 phones. I bet apple UTC can move close to 800 phones Friday night and another 2,000 over the weekend.

You know apple stores will be will well stocked for the weekend and that they will have many more salespeople with wireless credit card machines walking down the line, etc... I bought ipods at xmas via the wireless creditcard machines and it was a 1 minute transaction.

UTC will also have the party atmosphere, TV crews, etc.

However, your safest bet of getting a phone Friday night in San Diego *has* to be the Chula Vista Apple store. The best bet of getting an iphone by early next week is ordering online at 6pm EDT Friday.

Cheers,
Roger

:apple: You have a good Point about the apple stores they will be more stocked and have those wireless credit card machines.:D

isaaccubed
Jun 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
voicegy-Scott - 619.807.9815 - FV - 7:00AM then maybe CV AT&T? - voice only
isaaccubed - Isaac -760.207.6693 - CV or FV - 8.pm the 28th - txt or voice

tech fusion
Jun 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Just talked to UTC mall security. Was told there will be no overnight and a line can form starting at 10am.

MikeLord
Jun 26, 2007, 10:28 PM
Anybody going to the AT&T in Carmel Mountain Ranch?

I was thinking about the Carmel Mountain AT&T store. Do you know if it's corporate or franchise? Have you called to find out if they will have the iPhone? I live in Poway, and could probablt finagle (sp?) a day off on Friday. The more I think about it, the more I want to head to the Apple Store in Chula Vista, though the zoo at UTC or Fashion Valley might be fun to experience. decisions... decisions...

MikeLord
Jun 26, 2007, 10:36 PM
Are any of my fellow San Diegans here going for the 4GB model? I'm going for the 8GB. But, if all they have left Friday is the 4GB, that'll be a tough choice, but I think I'd probably just order the 8GB online and wait a few more days.

Thoughts?

Now I almost sort of understand chics paying several hundreds of dollars for a purse, or shoes, or something. When ya just GOT to have something, it doesn't seem so ridiculous. Man, I'm jonesin' for this thing. :-)

lfcfan858
Jun 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
I was thinking about the Carmel Mountain AT&T store. Do you know if it's corporate or franchise? Have you called to find out if they will have the iPhone? I've called and confirmed that they will be carrying units. I've also checked other stores and they've confirmed that both the Mira Mesa and CMR stores will have units. When I last visited the CMR store two weeks ago they had iPhone promos hanging inside. I'm not sure if it is corporate of franchise, though.

apretto
Jun 26, 2007, 11:57 PM
Hey has anyone heard anything about the time a line might start at FV MALL. I saw the post about UTC wouldnt start til 10am and I was there yesterday and I was told that all overnight campers would most likely be kicked out. I just wonder wat time the FV line might start

isaaccubed
Jun 27, 2007, 02:39 AM
I was thinking about the Carmel Mountain AT&T store. Do you know if it's corporate or franchise? Have you called to find out if they will have the iPhone? I live in Poway, and could probablt finagle (sp?) a day off on Friday. The more I think about it, the more I want to head to the Apple Store in Chula Vista, though the zoo at UTC or Fashion Valley might be fun to experience. decisions... decisions...

Although I live in Ramona and the Chula Vista store is the farthest away from me, I am thinking it will be a good idea to go there rather then Fashion Valley or UTC...it seems like it would be less crowded to me. If anyone knows anything about what time lines will start here or anyone else for sure going to this store, let me know! I can't decide and the 29th is slowly creeping up on me.

z400central
Jun 27, 2007, 03:04 AM
Here's my thoughts.

Carmel Mtn (Live a few minutes from) is in a wealthier area. Kids are going to be there waiting all day because they have nothing else to do (Out of school).

Chula Vista is out of the way and is not as wealthy as Carmel Mtn, UTC, or FV.

The next steps would be to hit up stores in Escondido and San Marcos.

MikeLord
Jun 27, 2007, 03:06 AM
I've called and confirmed that they will be carrying units. I've also checked other stores and they've confirmed that both the Mira Mesa and CMR stores will have units. When I last visited the CMR store two weeks ago they had iPhone promos hanging inside. I'm not sure if it is corporate of franchise, though.

That's excellent news. Thanks. Now Carmel Mountain is looking good.

Are you planning to get there early? If so, when?

MikeLord
Jun 27, 2007, 03:18 AM
Here's my thoughts.

Carmel Mtn (Live a few minutes from) is in a wealthier area. Kids are going to be there waiting all day because they have nothing else to do (Out of school).

The next steps would be to hit up stores in Escondido and San Marcos.

Blast you and your well-developed logic! :)

Cackeezy
Jun 27, 2007, 04:12 AM
Stopped by Apple CV earlier today, employee says they will close @ 2pm for "set-up" and re-open @ 6pm until midnight...yes...midnight. "They know as much as we do," I definitely believe that.

I'll prolly do my waiting there, according to AT&T's iPhone store locator (http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store/iphone/?_requestid=14235) the nearest AT&T stores in Chula Vista supplying is Plaza Bonita and AT&T off of the 54.

Cheers to Apple & AT&T for doing this smart: activation, 2-year agreements, one launch date, guided tours, word of mouth, and the media. I thought the gaming console hype was big.

Whaddup to Tech holding down UTC. It's about time we joined the forums.:D

-Cack

lfcfan858
Jun 27, 2007, 07:20 AM
That's excellent news. Thanks. Now Carmel Mountain is looking good.

Are you planning to get there early? If so, when? I'm going to shoot out there around 10:00 am to see if anyone's lining up. If so, I'll pick up some reading at Borders and then join them. If not, I'll be checking back every couple of hours until the line starts forming.

lfcfan858
Jun 27, 2007, 07:22 AM
Here's my thoughts.

The next steps would be to hit up stores in Escondido and San Marcos. I thought of this as well. I called the Escondido AT&T and the rep recommended showing up no later than 12:00 pm. They're expecting big crowds as well.

goncode
Jun 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
I'm definetely gonna hit escondido, San Marcos area. I'll probably be there around 3pm.

balkx2
Jun 27, 2007, 01:16 PM
Do you guys think that the first shipment of Iphones will be sold out? And in turn be able to turn a profit on it by reselling it on ebay? O and I have someone posted at the Otay mall.

voicegy
Jun 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
Do you guys think that the first shipment of Iphones will be sold out?

Hard to say as no one knows exactly how many each store (Apple and AT&T) will have on hand come Friday, nor how many people will actually be showing up to get one.

And in turn be able to turn a profit on it by reselling it on ebay?

I don't think the eBay thing will be happening. If the iPhone will be available online on Friday from Apple with a 3-5 day turnaround time for getting one (depending on back-stock) then eBay would be a waste.

O and I have someone posted at the Otay mall.

You mean you have someone there now?

voicegy
Jun 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
Some well thought out strategies posted here - after digesting everything, I think I'll update my thinking a bit. Looks like we're a group of folks divided between North County, Central, and South. Nice to have choices.:)

I still like the idea of poking my nose around the FV Apple store at around 6 in the morning on the 29th. (I'm not spending the night anywhere.) Will there be 6 thousand people there at that time in the morning? *shrug* If it sucks, I'll bail and go to either CV Apple store and/or CV AT&T store.

I like what one poster brought to my attention - Apple stores are not only bound to have more in stock, but the fact that the employees run around with hand-held point-of-sale devices makes the idea of going Apple more enticing - the in & out experience might be faster, but may be offset by number of people showing up.

AT&T stores will have, what, maybe 3 registers set up? Less point-of-sale machines set up, but may be offset by less number of people showing up. Decisions, decisions.:confused:

Well, I've at least narrowed down my choice of venue(s); now all I have to do is run around like an idiot in the car Friday morning and settle into one of them.

MikeLord
Jun 27, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm going to shoot out there around 10:00 am to see if anyone's lining up. If so, I'll pick up some reading at Borders and then join them. If not, I'll be checking back every couple of hours until the line starts forming.

That sounds like a good plan. Would you mind calling or texting me after you check things out at 10:00am?

I'm taking tha day off for iPhone Day!:D

Spock1234
Jun 27, 2007, 03:30 PM

Hi,

Newbie here.

I will swing by the UTC Apple store at 8 AM Friday and check out the scene. If there are more than 50 people waiting, I will join the line. If not I will come back at 10 AM.

I plan to bring my camcorder along to document the festivities. I am hoping this will be a lot of fun.

Cheers!

Spock1234 - Venkat - 858-348-7195 - UTC- 8 AM - Voice Only

lfcfan858
Jun 27, 2007, 06:58 PM
That sounds like a good plan. Would you mind calling or texting me after you check things out at 10:00am?

I'm taking tha day off for iPhone Day!:D Sure. PM me your contact number and I'll send you a status update by text.

Macifornia
Jun 27, 2007, 07:06 PM
I won't be able to get off work until around 5 but I hope to head over to MV and still be abel to pick up an 8GB. I've been waiting for over 2 years for this and will be using saved up Gift Cards so ATT store is not an option. Keep us updated from the line!

lfcfan858
Jun 27, 2007, 07:08 PM
Do you guys know if there is a wap version of these boards so that we can post to them throughout the 8 hours some of us are spending in line?

voicegy
Jun 27, 2007, 07:23 PM
Taken with a grain of salt, and may only be relevant to the particular mall this blogger is describing, but interesting anyway:

"There will be numbered wristbands distributed for the iPhone...."

More here.......

http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

hokullani
Jun 27, 2007, 08:00 PM
i am thinking about ordering online because i really don't want to wait in line, but does anyone know if they will go on sale by roll out like the stores, or just and like 6pm PST and 9pm EST? and how long will the ship date be?

tech fusion
Jun 27, 2007, 08:08 PM
Called the UTC security office today to check if there are any plan changes for lining up at the Apple store.

Got a diffrent story. Lining up will be allowed starting at 2 p.m.

Yesterday's story had a diffrent start time, it was 10 a.m.

I am showing up at 8 a.m. and check out the scene. If they are not allowing anyone to line up, I will eat food and read a book while sitting at one of the many tables set up for dining that are only about 40 feet from the Apple store.

I have a clear view of the store from my seat and will get involved in any line that gets started until security tells us we have to come back at 2 p.m.

Maybe they will lets us stand there because the crowd is growing.
Either way, I am getting an iPhone from the UTC Apple store.

imacgeek
Jun 27, 2007, 09:55 PM
Which one is that one? Confirmation that they are carrying the phone? Location(s)?

There is one off of Leucadia blvd. that I was at today. They are all prepared and expecting a decent amount of phones. If you travel down El Camino Real, there is one at the Carlsbad mall, then if you jump on the 78 Freeway, you can hit a few as you go down to San Marcos Blvd and so on so Las Posas. I know those stores confirmed phones so... If you search for a store and put in the zip code 92009, you can find a few of the ones im talking about. One is Leucadia and the other is the Las posas store. If anyone is going to any of those stores, please let me know because I will just be sitting out there. imacgeek@gmail.com is my personal e-mail.

imacgeek
Jun 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
Taken with a grain of salt, and may only be relevant to the particular mall this blogger is describing, but interesting anyway:

"There will be numbered wristbands distributed for the iPhone...."

More here.......

http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

Where do you go from here to get to an SD forum?

daveo123
Jun 28, 2007, 12:36 AM
Though I work in Hillcrest, I think I'll close up shop and head down to CV about 2pm. UTC will be a mad house (like parking isn't bad enough there and FV) so why bother.

I did read somewhere that depending on store traffic that some stores would have more than others. I imagine that is all speculation though. But I would believe the wristband bit....even Toys R Us does a similar thing for the Wii to keep people from getting trampled or losing their place in line.

We do benefit from being on the west coast though as we will be able to read the stories starting at 3pm from other time zones about store quantities and all.

Will see, either way I've read if you don't get one at the store you can order it online and have it in 3 to 5 days. And trust me, they've ramped up stock...it's not the same as the Wii BS. Plus at the price it will be prohibitive to some.

Another speculation thing I read is that there will be a 4:1 ratio of 8gigs to 4 gigs. Also makes sense as to move more of the higher priced models. So unless you are camping plan on spending that extra $100.

imacgeek
Jun 28, 2007, 01:29 AM
I have now called Apple Store UTC and the security at the mall a few times. Apple says that they will be starting a line at either 9AM or 10AM and security doesn't want ANYBODY in the parking lot before 8AM. While nobody is sure, if I end up going there, you will find me in a massage chair at brookstone right across the walkway just waiting and watching!

Somecalifemme
Jun 28, 2007, 04:01 AM
There have been no mention of corporate stores. My dad was told on the phone that corporate stores were the best bet. When we called back, they denied ever giving any information like this out.

Am I crazy. We are all talking about money areas and less money areas and strategically planning.

Doesn't Santee scream iPhone to you?

They confirmed shipment when we called back. Posters are up and everything. I mean for all of you closer to the East County area, you would know Santee is nothing but horse raising, low income, hillbilly's. Hey I live a city away and the scenery doesn't change much either.

Anyone down for Santee. My pops and I are having shirts made saying "Today the iPhone is myPhone." We are cooking iPhone shaped burgers. Also we had a bakery make a computer imaged 8.5 x 11 cake with the iPhone picture on it. We are all out. It should be comedy where we go. He says FV but I say Santee.

I will call everyone who listed phone numbers for updates, if you want.
I am going to check it out at about 4:00 am on Friday unless I get reports to camp out :(

Santee anyone? Cake? Burger?

Somecalifemme - Rosemary - 619 820 2258 - Santee 4:00am - Voice - Text

skinnylegs
Jun 28, 2007, 08:02 AM
Yeah.....as my kid said in the previous post it looks like we might hit Santee.

I would *really* like to go to FV but I have a feeling it may get out of control there in terms of the line. I'm thinking about checking it out at 8am and making a decision at that time. Another problem with FV is I don't think they will allow the barbecue. LOL

The corporate at&t store @ Fletcher Pkwy. and the 125 are also 'gonna get iPhones but the setup is less than appealing. There isn't much shade near the store and I have a feeling that even with an easy-up it might get pretty darn warm. The Santee store, on the other hand, has a decent setup with some trees and shade.

Somecalifemme - Rosemary - 619 820 2258 - Santee 4:00am - Voice - Text
skinnylegs (Steve) - (619) 280-4930 - voice or chat (FV or East County)

voicegy
Jun 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
Doesn't Santee scream iPhone to you?

You mean the at&t store at 50 Town Center Parkway? Yeah, I did think about that (and I did think about the reasons you stated as well) but also thought about it being the only place for miles around to get an iPhone, and there are likely pockets of neighborhoods out there that just may be thinking about getting one (they're not ALL tweakers:eek: ) so might be crowded - and I was thinking about the weather factor too - it's hot out there sometimes!

But that does have an appeal on second thought - especially when you mentioned the shade factor and what you have planned - it DOES sound like a hoot - great idea! (of course, hanging out at Brookstone's UTC Massage chair sounds great, too!)

Another strong possibility, somecalifemme and skinnylegs - thanks for the info and, yes, keep the group informed and definitely give me a call!:p

skinnylegs
Jun 28, 2007, 08:59 AM
If you stop by Santee and we'll hook you up with an iBurger and piece of iCake!

BTW.....the Parkway store 'kinda looks directly into the sun while the Santee store looks 'kinda west so it's more forgiving in terms of direct sunlight.

balkx2
Jun 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
Okay so i know everyone is excited about the iphone... But is everyone excited about having the same looking phone? Well i know i'm not. There will be a bunch of silicone wraps and leather holders, but in the end it will all still be the same. Well to answer that, i work for LBGFX it is a small graphic shop in National City Ca. The owner had an idea, he already has templates for the Iphone for full color digitally printed decals that can change the look of the phone, on the outside at least. Then on top of that you can download from our site wall papers for the phone that will match the wraps. I'll have pics when the i phone comes out... O yeah we can do custom images also. So it is not just limited to what we have. LBGFX is a Graphics solution co. So we should be able to put what ever you want on your phones. Also if you have any questions feel free to call us at (619) 793-5886

I will be going to the Otay Mall one. To get my Iphone then i'm going to put stickers on it.... hahahaha

skinnylegs
Jun 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
Interesting idea but I'd like to see some pics......

txag95
Jun 28, 2007, 11:10 AM
Ok, well I admit that I was not going to go wait in line, but your enthusiasm is contagious.... Then I thought I would wait at CV, but heard all the cool stuff about Santee!! I talked to the La Mesa cingular store and she said (Monday) that they had recieved quite a few calls and to try the Santee store since they were new. She thought no one might know about it, but then again she had just told a bunch of people that :) Soo, she said my guess was as good as hers.

Please edumacate a chemist. I am about to leave a perfectly good service provider for a crappy one and pay $175 for this opportunity... do I have to go to a cellular store since I will be a new customer??

o98eclipse
Jun 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
I'm curious...

If word has it that all Apple stores will limit 2 iPhones per person and they will be open until midnight and reopen Saturday morning at 9am, don't you think they will have enough stock to make sales until midnight and the following day??? You would think they would limit one per person as to not disappoint anyone. They must be anticipating large crowds, so I take it they will have plenty if they are planning to stay late and open early.

What do you guys think??? I'm just wondering if it is even worth it to line up so early or just to go a couple of hours early...

skinnylegs
Jun 28, 2007, 11:51 AM
Ok, well I admit that I was not going to go wait in line, but your enthusiasm is contagious.... Then I thought I would wait at CV, but heard all the cool stuff about Santee!! I talked to the La Mesa cingular store and she said (Monday) that they had recieved quite a few calls and to try the Santee store since they were new. She thought no one might know about it, but then again she had just told a bunch of people that :) Soo, she said my guess was as good as hers.

Please edumacate a chemist. I am about to leave a perfectly good service provider for a crappy one and pay $175 for this opportunity... do I have to go to a cellular store since I will be a new customer??Come on down to the Santee store and we'll have a burger and piece of cake for you! do I have to go to a cellular store since I will be a new customer??I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

skinnylegs
Jun 28, 2007, 11:51 AM
I'm curious...

If word has it that all Apple stores will limit 2 iPhones per person and they will be open until midnight and reopen Saturday morning at 9am, don't you think they will have enough stock to make sales until midnight and the following day??? You would think they would limit one per person as to not disappoint anyone. They must be anticipating large crowds, so I take it they will have plenty if they are planning to stay late and open early.

What do you guys think??? I'm just wondering if it is even worth it to line up so early or just to go a couple of hours early...Yeah....I'm pretty sure they will have enough to meet the initial demand.

gschumsky
Jun 28, 2007, 01:42 PM
Please edumacate a chemist. I am about to leave a perfectly good service provider for a crappy one and pay $175 for this opportunity... do I have to go to a cellular store since I will be a new customer??

You can buy it at a ATT store or the Apple store. Then you use iTunes to pick your plan and register your iPhone from the comfort of your home or office, no need to wait for someone to sit behind a counter doing it for you. The beauty of this is you can buy your iPhone and use it as your new iPod and PDA, and not the phone service at all (but don't hold me to that), until you're contract runs out with your current provider (and not pay the $175 cancellation fee).

Since ATT sucks in certain parts of the county (esp. in my neighborhood), and the iPhone is missing important features (voice dial...), I'm either going to hold off, or get one and not use the phone for as long as I can stand not being able to use the coolness of all in one.

goncode
Jun 28, 2007, 03:02 PM
Only reason why i might go to an at&t store is because my contract expired and I want to re-sign a new one, but i want to drop the one I already have and get one of the new apple plans, I'm unsure I'd be able to do that with just itunes, that's why I'm hitting an at&t store.

hokullani
Jun 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
i am going to order one online and do overnight shipping, does anyone know how long until it will actually ship?

daveo123
Jun 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
i am going to order one online and do overnight shipping, does anyone know how long until it will actually ship?

I've read 3 to 5 business days. I've also read there will be regular shipments (I know from when I got my ne MBP that FV gets stock deliveries twice a day) after this initial so even if they sell out Friday night there may be more coming Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I'm going to head to CV around 2pm and see what the situation is...worst case I can wait until Monday or Tuesday.

txag95
Jun 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
now that you say that and I see the new video up on apple, I see the logic in it all....(iTunes) they will be able to sell them a lot faster this way.

now I will have to break down and update my iTunes :( I have iTunes 4 since they started counting your song copies after that and that just made me mad... ah well, it had to end sometime :D

isaaccubed
Jun 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
Has anyone heard any news or actually seen any type of line forming at any of the San Diego Apple stores yet?

Still trying to plan when to get there...if anyone gets any info about this, feel free to post it for me and everyone else on here!

Thanks!

JCL-Ubit
Jun 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
"Has anyone heard any news or actually seen any type of line forming at any of the San Diego Apple stores yet?

Still trying to plan when to get there...if anyone gets any info about this, feel free to post it for me and everyone else on here!"

According to security at Fashion Valley, there will be no camping out at the mall overnight, or even parking on the property. They will not let people line up (in a designated serpintine roped-off area outside of the Apple store) until tomorrow morning. They also confirmed that they will not be offering wristbands. I think the latter is sort of silly becuase it means that they will have folks staking up space standing around the mall all day but stuck in line instead of shopping!

Their # is: 619-688-9100 if anyone wants to make that suggestion!

hokullani
Jun 28, 2007, 06:21 PM
hey does anyone know how many units the encinitas ATT store will get? and how are they handeling the lines?

isaaccubed
Jun 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
According to security at Fashion Valley, there will be no camping out at the mall overnight, or even parking on the property. They will not let people line up (in a designated serpintine roped-off area outside of the Apple store) until tomorrow morning. They also confirmed that they will not be offering wristbands. I think the latter is sort of silly becuase it means that they will have folks staking up space standing around the mall all day but stuck in line instead of shopping!

Their # is: 619-688-9100 if anyone wants to make that suggestion!

Thank you JCL-Ubit for that info...so it looks like the UTC Apple Store and the Fashion Valley Apple Store will not allow overnight camping. I am planning on going to the chula vista apple store even though its about an hour and 15 minutes away...but anyone with info about lines there please call or text me...or just post something on here.

-Isaac
(760)207-6693 (Also in the calling list in this thread)

isaaccubed
Jun 28, 2007, 07:11 PM
I just called the Chula Vista Apple Store and the woman I talked to said there were between 7-10 people in line right now, as of 5:00.

Just letting everyone know who plans to wait in front of this store.:)

voicegy
Jun 28, 2007, 07:15 PM
I just called the Chula Vista Apple Store and the woman I talked to said there were between 7-10 people in line right now, as of 5:00.

What?!? Oh, jeeze...well, that store isn't in a mall, it's on a "street mall" so there's no mall enforcement - what about general police enforcement?;)

This ups the stakes, kids. There's STILL no way I'm spendin' the night anywhere. Sheesh!

voicegy
Jun 28, 2007, 07:18 PM
Fashion Valley also confirmed that they will not be offering wristbands.

Oh, now that totally sucks. That means there will be a line formed before the line is formed before the acutal line is formed, or mobs of people (like us!) 'hanging' around like lost puppies waiting for an indication from the store when we CAN line up. Arrrrgh!

isaaccubed
Jun 28, 2007, 07:22 PM
What?!? Oh, jeeze...well, that store isn't in a mall, it's on a "street mall" so there's no mall enforcement - what about general police enforcement?;)

This ups the stakes, kids. There's STILL no way I'm spendin' the night anywhere. Sheesh!

Yeah I thought there would be nobody at the Chula Vista store...but if there is already 10 people at that little known store, then i'm sure there will be more soon, since it appears they will be able to stay overnight.

I don't know if I should spend the night or go early in the morning...spending the night in Chula Vista is a little sketchy...

imacgeek
Jun 28, 2007, 07:27 PM
hey does anyone know how many units the encinitas ATT store will get? and how are they handeling the lines?

Well... I was tehre yesterday and they have a taped off area on the floor that says "iPhone line starts here" and luckily, the general manager just happened to be there when I was so we talked about how they were going to do things. She would not tell mw how many they were getting but she knew herself. As far as handling goes, they will sell until 10PM or until they run out and you can just buy the phone and walk out like you were buying a phone case. They prefer people to activate it using iTunes but they WILL do it for you there if it is that important.

Cackeezy
Jun 28, 2007, 08:48 PM

I rolled by :apple: CV and am confirming around 10 people in line. There is security there, but I don't know if they were even prepared for it. I'm sure adjacent stores may complain if the lines become a nuisance.

balkx2
Jun 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
I had a apple store employee in my shop earlier today and he told me there are already people posted up at the otay branch. But he told me it was only 4 people in line. But at the same time how do you post pics here so i can show you guys the skins...... hahahh

underwater
Jun 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
we were at UTC for skating and stopped by apple. No one attempting to line up. few people in the store and nothing had changed for the iphone other than the display in the front. They didn't have their iphones yet, but hinted at getting thousands over the launch week. The phones will be delivered by armed escort in the 2pm-5pm window.

Somecalifemme
Jun 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
Crickets in Santee? I drove up to the store and there was NO ONE. It is one of thsoe store where people COULD camp out if necessary. No mall to enforce, just strip mall I am sure similar to Chula Vista. I mean no one was even in the parking lot. There wasn't anyone in the store either besides the manager and employee. I asked "YOU ARE GETTING iPHONES RIGHT?" They said "OH OF COURSE" I told her that it was a good thing I didn't have to roll out my sleeping bag. The both looked at me like I was crazy. I asked just for *FUN* how many they were going to get. She said that she honestly didn't know. She did say ONE PER HEAD though. NOT TWO. She also said that no one would walk away with nothing. You'll either have a phone in-hand or you'll have a confirmation paper with your order in the mail. So this is news to me.

ONE PER PERSON.

Still there are crickets in Santee. It's a matter of the excitement and people or actually leaving with a phone in your hand. The phone weighs heavier and the people. Because after the crowd, after you've driven home, will you be activating your service or staring at a piece of paper with a confirmation number. I don't know about you, but I plan on holding my phone. Maybe some mid-morning champagne?

Spock1234
Jun 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
I spoke to UTC security at 8:30 PM today. Here is the latest info:

No one will be allowed to camp out overnight.
Mall security will be patrolling the area all night to prevent people from camping out.
They will have crowd management measures in place Friday morning.
People can start lining up at 10 AM.

I think they are saying this just to prevent people from showing up too early. I am sure it would be okay if you arrived earlier. I am planning on getting there at 8AM anyway and taking my chances. I will hang out by the Apple store and get in line asap.

txag95
Jun 28, 2007, 11:31 PM
Are people still in for the txt alerts?? Now that people are lining up tonight, maybe I will wait until Sunday Night to go if they get multiple shipments like someone said...

txag95 (Wendy) 858.922.2338

Cackeezy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:33 PM
As I stated earlier, since I do live about 2 min. from :apple: CV I'll swing by later tonight (midnight??) as well as in the morning and post line status (if any).

In the meantime check out this link:

http://iphonewidgetlist.com/

Great site for what to expect with developer apps. Who needs to purchase games, when you can load them?

Also upgraded EDGE??? Sweet!!!

I keep editing this thing...Anyone set-up their iPhone playlist, yet? :D

JCL-Ubit
Jun 29, 2007, 12:32 AM
Although we don't have time to have fancy custom shirts made (unless someone knows an all-night silkscreener) I was thinking we could wear something to identify other folks from the forum. The txtmsg idea is also cool, but this may be a quick "analog" way to ID folks. Heh, if we get their early enough we could even block off a portion of the line for MacForum folks... Think of it, bathroom breaks, movie breaks, food breaks, all while knowing your place in line is safe!

hokullani
Jun 29, 2007, 12:45 AM
Although we don't have time to have fancy custom shirts made (unless someone knows an all-night silkscreener) I was thinking we could wear something to identify other folks from the forum. The txtmsg idea is also cool, but this may be a quick "analog" way to ID folks. Heh, if we get their early enough we could even block off a portion of the line for MacForum folks... Think of it, bathroom breaks, movie breaks, food breaks, all while knowing your place in line is safe!

How about wearing a red shirt?

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 12:53 AM

I planned on wearing a white business shirt with gray Apple logo.

Cackeezy
Jun 29, 2007, 01:01 AM

I'm down for that. I would wear my "got mac." shirt, but I unfortunately outgrew it :o . Let me see...

Somecalifemme
Jun 29, 2007, 01:11 AM
Well don't be scared to pop by and say "hello" to #1 in line. With custom shirts. I don't understand how the mall security (joke in of itself) is going to be able to manage the early birds or semi- campers. I mean how do they know that I , with babe, am not just going for an early morning mall walk with my stroller. Like many people do. And if I strategically plan to be right next to the closest enterance of the Apple store, then who is to say anything. I can't see anyone being first in line but myself. I cannot believe this is the iPhone eve. This is unreal.

Beauty Sleep :) zzZZzzZZ

Rosemary Skinny's daughter.

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 01:18 AM
Beauty Sleep :) zzZZzzZZ

*whew* ME TOO! It's almost 11:30, gotta hit the hay for an early, EARLY morning! 'til tomorrow....;)

JCL-Ubit
Jun 29, 2007, 01:30 AM
I'm off to bed... does anyone know what time the Starbucks opens in Fashion Valley? Someone could make a fortune catering food to those of us in line. Maybe I should rent a hot dog stand to raise the dough for my shiny new 8gig iPhone?!

I'll be the sleepwalking guy at Fashion Valley in the red shirt if y'all want to say hey.

skinnylegs
Jun 29, 2007, 01:31 AM
Coffee is already sounding good.....

isaaccubed
Jun 29, 2007, 01:43 AM
As I stated earlier, since I do live about 2 min. from :apple: CV I'll swing by later tonight (midnight??) as well as in the morning and post line status (if any).

If you could post an update around 12 tonight that would be great....I am thinking about heading over to the CV store tonight but if there isnt a ton of people I might wait till early tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Christo1
Jun 29, 2007, 02:16 AM
Of course, 10 minutes after I decide I will wait in line in the early AM with some of you guys, I get a call and need to go to work tomorrow. I get out at 4, so I'll definitely be calling you guys when I get out to get the latest scoop on things. Good luck to you all tomorrow.

Cackeezy
Jun 29, 2007, 03:02 AM
If you could post an update around 12 tonight that would be great....I am thinking about heading over to the CV store tonight but if there isnt a ton of people I might wait till early tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Alright, just got back. Sorry for the late reply, but I lost track of time syncing and organizing my contacts from my RAZR (bye-bye) to Address Book. Got to prepare for the first sync...

Anyways, status of :apple: CV as of 6-29-07 12:49a:
64F (couldn't resist including this); I'm estimating 20-30 hardcore iPhone fans in line as I crept in my Red '06 Civic SI (which was weird as everyone's heads turned and followed slowly, def a Kodak moment wish I had a cam); if anyone is familiar with the store the line formed to the left of it and in front of the, I believe, Abercrombie & Fitch and just turned the corner by 2-3 chairs/spaces in line.

Saw one person with a laptop, wondering if he's has internet access. If you're reading this please report, thanks!!!

That's all for now, I'm thinking stay home check it out again in the morn and report then if I don't see anyone else posting here.

G'nite and get some rest, it will be a long day for those in line.

-Cack

scotty588
Jun 29, 2007, 03:08 AM
Well since I have to work (San Diego Fair) I am going to get someone to cover for me for a couple hours then head over to the AT&T store off El Camino Real & Del Mar Heights RD. Since I have to get back to work I can't leave to early, but I'll swing by and see what the scene is. Anyone planning on going to this location?

isaaccubed
Jun 29, 2007, 06:59 AM
Anyways, status of :apple: CV as of 6-29-07 12:49a:
64°F (couldn't resist including this); I'm estimating 20-30 hardcore iPhone fans in line as I crept in my Red '06 Civic SI (which was weird as everyone's heads turned and followed slowly, def a Kodak moment wish I had a cam); if anyone is familiar with the store the line formed to the left of it and in front of the, I believe, Abercrombie & Fitch and just turned the corner by 2-3 chairs/spaces in line.

Saw one person with a laptop, wondering if he's has internet access. If you're reading this please report, thanks!!!

-Cack

Thanks for that Chula Vista store update! As much as I tried to sleep last night and get at least 5 hours, I think I got a grand total of 2....i am way too pumped about this iphone!

I'll probably be in line by 7 with my laptop, so if I can get wifi I will post more info on here thoughout the day. If I can't get wifi, or even if I can, feel free to call me with any questions or just to entertain me while in line: (760)207-6693

Wish me luck!

-Isaac

mmoran27
Jun 29, 2007, 08:01 AM
There are already campers there. And with all the rich kids that want an iphone, we may be SOL.

Any thoughts?

I was going to go there at around 10:30 to feel it out better (I am at work now so I can't camp out there nor do I want to).

Why can't they just get enough so that people don't resort to things like camping out and long lines?

skinnylegs
Jun 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
Wake up San Diego crew! It's time to represent!

So.....has anybody cruised by FV to see if there are any cars in the parking lot?

imacgeek
Jun 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
Anybody that is going to the NOrth County stores and UTC apple store, I will be going to one of those and I will have on a Ferrari hat and a brown shirt today so... Hope to see more gurus like ME!

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:07 AM
I arrived at the FV store to check out the scene - amazingly, the mall is open to line-ups, people are in front of the store, and there's about 25 of us at 7:00 a.m.

No problem parking, no problem getting in line, Apple has roped off a switchback lineup around the store, everyone is happy, the Apple Store WiFi is up (that's what I'm using) and it's a party atmosphere.

7 in the morning and only 25 people!! Come on down!:p

skinnylegs
Jun 29, 2007, 09:09 AM
I arrived at the FV store to check out the scene - amazingly, the mall is open to line-ups, people are in front of the store, and there's about 25 of us at 7:00 a.m.

No problem parking, no problem getting in line, Apple has roped off a switchback lineup around the store, everyone is happy, the Apple Store WiFi is up (that's what I'm using) and it's a party atmosphere.

7 in the morning and only 25 people!! Come on down!:pI thought there was no lining up until 10am???????

skinnylegs
Jun 29, 2007, 09:09 AM
I thought there was no lining up until 10am???????If I give you a *huge* piece of cake can you save me and my kid a place in line? :)

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
I thought there was no lining up until 10am???????

I speak the truth - I'm right here...I even asked security if it was "OK" to come into the mall - he said "Sure." I went in, and there was 20 folks already in front of the store. All is well, I'm camped out in the green lawn chair!

If I give you a *huge* piece of cake can you save me and my kid a place in line? :)

I don't know if folks in back of me might get mad...wait a minute...I can always say that you're my "family" or somthing, the way I am situation there IS a space in front of me next to the entrance of the store next door...yes, I will.

619 807-9815

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
If I give you a *huge* piece of cake can you save me and my kid a place in line? :)

Yeah, just pretend you're family - say "Hi Scott, we made it" when you come - white shirt, tall guy with beard - since you're bringing cake, I don't think ANYONE will object if y'all slide right in front of me - the CAKE will give you the ticket away from any possible upset fans, believe me! See you soon - Steve just called to confirm you're throwing yourself together...

imacgeek
Jun 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
Anybody down at UTC yet? Just wondering how that line is so... If anyone is there, just shoot up a quick post.

Thanks

MikeLord
Jun 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
7 in the morning and only 25 people!! Come on down!:p

You're really gonna spend the next 11 hours waiting in that line???

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
You're really gonna spend the next 11 hours waiting in that line???

Yes, for several reasons:

1. I'm an Apple fan from waaay back.
2. It's an "event" that is fun.
3. I've got everything I need, including comfortable lawn chair.
4. I'll be in and out of the store come 6:00 in less than half an hour.
5. Another fellow San Diegan is bringing THIS CAKE for everyone in line:D

imacgeek
Jun 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
I just got off the phone with UTC security and they said that they allowed people to start lining up at 6:00AM this morning. The guy I spoke to said that they were supposed to do that all along. I am sorry to anybody hoping to go down there but Im not sure what is going on. I am going to call spock1234 at about 8 and see what is going on. Hope FV is fun today and great talking to everybody. Good Hunting!:D

imacgeek
Jun 29, 2007, 09:38 AM

I WANT CAKE!

txag95
Jun 29, 2007, 09:42 AM
My timestamp must be off, it said last post was 9:30am... it is only 7:40..hmm

well, how fares it? I see FV is going to be nice and my hero is already there :) I have to at least go and pretend to work for part of the day, though I am sure since it is Friday, I could be convinced to not return from lunch or something. Skinny, sounds like you guys won't be up in santee? AHh, well I guess I had better get going, the earlier I get there, the earlier I can leave... :) Good luck folks and keep us working class kids posted ;)

MikeLord
Jun 29, 2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, for several reasons:

1. I'm an Apple fan from waaay back.
2. It's an "event" that is fun.
3. I've got everything I need, including comfortable lawn chair.
4. I'll be in and out of the store come 6:00 in less than half an hour.

That's freakin' awesome.

imacgeek
Jun 29, 2007, 10:00 AM
just for all of you that dont trust the UTC security like me. I just talked to Venkat (UTC macrumor guy) and he said that there was a list that someone started that has about 40 people on it. He said that about half were buying two phones each. Hope this helps someone!

isaaccubed
Jun 29, 2007, 10:01 AM
So I'm here in Chula Vista right now at the Apple Store, #24 I believe in line...about 35-40 people in line total.

I am kind of disappointed that I came to this store instead of Fashion Valley, but I'm already here now so I guess I'll stay. The atmosphere compared to what I've heard it's like at FV is not as nice, but it'll have to do.

If anyone wants to join me here, I'll be here all day in the blue chair with the black macbook...and the apple shirt that says "I visited the mothership"

Or text/call me at 760.207.6693

txag95
Jun 29, 2007, 10:20 AM
OK OK Ok

you guys have talked me into it! I am headed to FV to meet my hero and hang out with the baby and the cake :) I am a big tall blonde girl with short hair and a red shirt ;) and brown capri pants.... hope I have enough battery left on my mongo 17" to last at least a few minutes there :)

fun fun fun, I will have to think of some good excuse for work :D

MikeLord
Jun 29, 2007, 10:31 AM
I just heard from 'lfcfan'. His wife just drove by the Carmel Mountain AT&T Store. She says there's no line there yet.

hokullani
Jun 29, 2007, 10:59 AM
Wake up San Diego crew! It's time to represent!

So.....has anybody cruised by FV to see if there are any cars in the parking lot?

i heard there were about 30

boha
Jun 29, 2007, 11:07 AM
OK, that's it, see you in Fashion Valley, guys!

I mean, come on. Cake? That's amazing.

hokullani
Jun 29, 2007, 11:08 AM
Can someone just buy one for me!

Doctor Q
Jun 29, 2007, 11:18 AM
Who's going to be at UTC? I might be there. How would I recognize you?

Spock1234
Jun 29, 2007, 11:36 AM

Hi,

I have been here for ~ 2 hrs. Greg and I started a list to keep track of all the people in line and assigned them numbers. This will help if we have to disperse and regroup for any reason. We have 50 people in line now and it is very organized. Most people are signing up for 2 iPhones each. Security was very nice and even gave us extra umbrellas to protect those in line from the sun.

If any of you are coming to UTC, I am wearing glasses, blue jeans and a striped blue shirt. Come and say Hi.

Spock1234
Jun 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
Here are some pictures I took of the crowd outside the Apple store. The scary looking dude holding the list is Greg.

apretto
Jun 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
IF your wondering where to go

go to at&t mission valley

or fv about 40 people
:D

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 11:53 AM

Cool! All hail the good Doctor's visit to SD! (Nice to hear the UTC crowd is being well taken care of!)

balkx2
Jun 29, 2007, 12:28 PM
This is cool. hahha thanks for all of you who is checking up on the line. But guess what... I will be going from the UTC apple store to FV to Otay to show the line waiters the Decal skins i have made. I don't know what time but i know for a fact i'll stop by all the places. Right now I have solid colors but will have full color graphic skins that will go on the back of the phone and on the top and the bottom of the front. If any one has any request to see any colors i'll try to get some made. They will also only be only five bucks for the solid colors. So let me know if anyone wan'ts to see there color.... email me at balkx2@yahoo.com if anyone has any color request and tell me what store they are at. hahaha =):apple:

MikeLord
Jun 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
I just heard from 'lfcfan'. His wife just drove by the Carmel Mountain AT&T Store. She says there's no line there yet.

lfcfan is in line at the Carmel Mountain AT&T Store. He says there are four people in line. The FedEx guy just left.

voicegy
Jun 29, 2007, 12:33 PM
The attention here is amazing - NBC, FoxNoise (er, sorry, News), CityBeat magazine, and some crew doing video work for Apple. Also, at 10:00, Apple employees came out with boxes of bottled Smart Water for us line-waiters; what a classy, and kind, gesture.:D

It's 10:30 and approx 60 people here - not bad, not a madhouse, all under control - I would assume that if there ends up being, oh, 400 folks here that they'll all get an iPhone, even if some folks buy two. (Of course, we don't know how many the store is expecting..)

GGMac
Jun 29, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am heading out to FV soon and was wondering the conditions out there??:o

scotty588
Jun 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
There are already campers there. And with all the rich kids that want an iphone, we may be SOL.

Any thoughts?

I was going to go there at around 10:30 to feel it out better (I am at work now so I can't camp out there nor do I want to).

Why can't they just get enough so that people don't resort to things like camping out and long lines?

Great. About how many people are there? Let me know whenever you check it out again.

underwater
Jun 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
hows the wifi coverage in the UTC line? Starbucks and apple wifi available?

sdrum
Jun 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
Drove past it at 7:15-ish this morning, and there were 3 folks waiting there already. I'll check it again before 2:30pm.

scotty588
Jun 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
About 30 minutes ago I called many of the AT&T stores in north county and most said there are at least 15-20 people in line already.

powerbook911
Jun 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
How is CV?

thuff13
Jun 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
Quick update for the MV area. My wife is at the AT&T store by MV mall and said there are about 30 people in line. We were planning on getting it at the store on Rio San Diego Dr. but they are telling people that they aren't getting it now even though AT&T's website list it as a carrier and when we were there last night we were told they would have it and they even had a line area marked off. They said there was an inventory mix up and they won't be getting it.

powerbook911
Jun 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Anyone doing text message updates from CV?

GGMac
Jun 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
Line here is not very long, probably no more than 100 people. Take your time getting here and bring some sunblock!

joegomolski
Jun 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
Can someone give a quick flash on the size of the crowd at UTC?

Joe G.
Currently at struggle with Apple re: bluetooth & Mac Pro

mikedashg
Jun 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
Anyone doing text message updates from CV?

I txt'd Isaac. He said he's #28 in a line of his guess of 120, but hasn't actually counted.

I think I'm going to fashion valley, even though the line will be longer. I think the festivities will be better. I'm mostly going to see if I can play with one and just BE there. As I will be when OS X Leopard comes out. I may had to CV for fun, and then to AT&T store. Make a night of it.

Right now I'm stuck at work until 3, and appointment at 3:30, and hopefully on the road by 4:30. It's probably suicide going to the FV store at 5 o'clock, but hey, it's all in good :apple: fun.

in t3h Steve we trust

MikeDougherty
Jun 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
The attention here is amazing - NBC, FoxNoise (er, sorry, News), CityBeat magazine, and some crew doing video work for Apple. Also, at 10:00, Apple employees came out with boxes of bottled Smart Water for us line-waiters; what a classy, and kind, gesture.:D

It's 10:30 and approx 60 people here - not bad, not a madhouse, all under control - I would assume that if there ends up being, oh, 400 folks here that they'll all get an iPhone, even if some folks buy two. (Of course, we don't know how many the store is expecting..)

Interesting. I talked to Sarah (I think?) from the UTC store on the phone about 11AM this morning and she indicated that the line was so long that they might run out of phones before the night is out. Sounds like Sarah was a little off on the length of the line.

Can anyone provide an update on the line at the UTC Apple Store, or the line at the Leucadia Blvd. AT&T store? I would like to get one tonight, but will not be able to get to one of those stores until close to 9 or 10.

mikedashg
Jun 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
Interesting. I talked to Sarah (I think?) from the UTC store on the phone about 11AM this morning and she indicated that the line was so long that they might run out of phones before the night is out. Sounds like Sarah was a little off on the length of the line.

Can anyone provide an update on the line at the UTC Apple Store, or the line at the Leucadia Blvd. AT&T store? I would like to get one tonight, but will not be able to get to one of those stores until close to 9 or 10.

My guess is that by 9 or 10, the Apple store could be out. I've read rumors ranging from 200-500 a store, with limits of 2 per person. But they'll get lots more throughout the week, so you may have to wait a couple of days.

boha
Jun 29, 2007, 04:48 PM
At UTC, the line snakes through a series of "stanchions" (ha ha) and tails out into a long, straight line that is about to reach the food court. I'd wager that there are about 120-150 people in line at this point. If you assume everyone is buying two iPhones, well . . . nobody has any solid numbers of inventory, so do the math.

The mall music is getting to me, though.

MikeDougherty
Jun 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
My guess is that by 9 or 10, the Apple store could be out. I've read rumors ranging from 200-500 a store, with limits of 2 per person. But they'll get lots more throughout the week, so you may have to wait a couple of days.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I had read (here on MacRumors maybe) that they were getting 1000 - 1500. I'll just have to check the "availability" site before heading down there.

I'd like to help Apple out with opening day numbers, but they sure are not making it easy for people like me to give them my money.

hughjaas
Jun 29, 2007, 05:27 PM
just got a text message from someone at the downtown att store who said an employee just came out and announced they have 1,000 in stock!

apparently good news for the other locations.

clayfu
Jun 29, 2007, 05:31 PM
just got a text message from someone at the downtown att store who said an employee just came out and announced they have 1,000 in stock!

apparently good news for the other locations.

ah so funny, no one needed to wait in line. I figure if an ATT store gets 1k in stock.. the apple store must have plenty! (especially FV)

underwater
Jun 29, 2007, 06:51 PM
200 people in line. I've said all along the apple stores will have 1K+ phones. There will be plenty tonight... come on down. some Say 1K more phones arrive tomorrow.

cliffhopper
Jun 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
i'm at the att store in la mesa on fletcher pkwy and people are saying only 30 phones, but others are saying thats just a rumor. i'm number 31 in line so i hope they hve more.

Mechcozmo
Jun 29, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm thinking it would be fun to head down to UTC and take some pictures at the magic time. Can't buy one... but it'll be fun to watch.

isaaccubed
Jun 29, 2007, 11:11 PM
This is my first post from my iPhone!

Somecalifemme
Jun 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
Is anyone havnig trouble sending or recieving text messages ? I can't recieve any and the people I send them to don't get them?

proteinman101
Jun 29, 2007, 11:33 PM
are there still iphones available or are they sold out?

I was thinking of stopping buy saturday or sunday and purchasing one if they are still in stock. whats the closest place in san diego would be the best chance that they still have it? (coming from south san diego)

thank you!

underwater
Jun 29, 2007, 11:40 PM
UTC had served just about all 300 people in line when we left at 7pm. It was a thing of beauty... moving about 20 iphones per minute, cheering as you walked in/out of the store.

They seemed to have enough to last until tomorrow. But you should call first.

Playing with the iphone now... this thing is awesome! The web browser on Edge is just fine speed wise.

are there still iphones available or are they sold out?

proteinman101
Jun 30, 2007, 12:16 AM
UTC had served just about all 300 people in line when we left at 7pm. It was a thing of beauty... moving about 20 iphones per minute, cheering as you walked in/out of the store.

They seemed to have enough to last until tomorrow. But you should call first.

Playing with the iphone now... this thing is awesome! The web browser on Edge is just fine speed wise.

thanks for the info!

hopefully they still have it tomorrow. I lost my phone W810 (paid $300) for it last year just yesterday... I really loved that phone and was considering buying the same one now for $200 since its old. Tell me everything about it how awesome the Iphone is, I decided to just go ahead and shell out $500 for a new phone instead of buying the same old phone i had

gschumsky
Jun 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
Went to Otay Ranch tonight, had a nice dinner at PF Changs, then drove over to the Apple Store about 7:30. Parked right smack in front (yes, the spot right in front of the doors). Walked in, checked out the iPhones, and there were a total of 3 people in line to get them (after the hour or so deluge of people waiting all day...). They still had a lot of 4 gig and 8 gigs in stock, and were open until midnight. Planned on having enough through the weekend as well. And no, didn't get one, but my by the end of the weekend.

mikedashg
Jun 30, 2007, 12:45 AM
I'm thinking it would be fun to head down to UTC and take some pictures at the magic time. Can't buy one... but it'll be fun to watch.

Yeah, I took some pictures/video at the fashion valley store. TONS of people there. Security and press cameras. Couldn't say how many people. I was one of the last people in line around 5 minutes to 6PM. The line went super fast (as there were lots of employees at the registers). Only took 30 minutes. I played with one for a long time in the store though.

Some dude a few people in front of me bought one for 900 dollars to someone who had bought two.

I went to two at&t places for fun as well. Mission Valley qiosk had two and sold out. AT&T Carmel Mt sold out there 80 as well. Videos/pics l8r

Mechcozmo
Jun 30, 2007, 01:14 AM
Pictures up at Flickr. Taken at UTC today, from around 1825-1845 ish. Got some good information from various people around the site... people like to talk to the press I suppose.

Linkety (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mechcozmo/sets/72157600561908165/)

hokullani
Jun 30, 2007, 02:27 AM
I am typing on my iPhone right now and it is way easy! I am sort of pissed because I waited in line at the Encinitas att store and they ran out and never told us! Then while waiting to order one my dad went down to UTC and picked one up before I even moved in line! Att was making people do things like activation a I found out that they didthis so they would get comission! Att just dropped the ball compared to apple! Boo att yay apple!

mikedashg
Jun 30, 2007, 03:26 AM
Even though the line was huge at fashion valley:

they had TONS of employees and a bunch of registers. I was in the store within 30 minutes and I was at the end of the line 5 minutes to opening time. They all came out with high fives for all...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7839952453296546912

I watched someone who had been there since 5AM, sell one to some person in front of me for 900 dollars. Silly.

Here's the line:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5990206504870255558

mikedashg
Jun 30, 2007, 03:28 AM
I am typing on my iPhone right now and it is way easy! I am sort of pissed because I waited in line at the Encinitas att store and they ran out and never told us! Then while waiting to order one my dad went down to UTC and picked one up before I even moved in line! Att was making people do things like activation a I found out that they didthis so they would get comission! Att just dropped the ball compared to apple! Boo att yay apple!

Yeah, I went to a couple of AT&T stores and they were out. They didn't get many. 2 at one, 80 at the other. By the time I was done playing with them at the Apple store around 7:15, there was practically no line to buy, 10 minute wait the guy said. I even waited 30 at the very end of the line at 6:00

cliffhopper
Jun 30, 2007, 08:32 AM
the La Mesa ATT was not fruitful, there were about 30 iphones, maybe half of which were 8gb

i was in line from 4-7 and then they tell us

drove to FV and got in and out in 5 minutes with an 8gb

voicegy
Jun 30, 2007, 11:37 AM
Even though the line was huge at fashion valley:

they had TONS of employees and a bunch of registers. I was in the store within 30 minutes and I was at the end of the line 5 minutes to opening time. They all came out with high fives for all...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7839952453296546912

I watched someone who had been there since 5AM, sell one to some person in front of me for 900 dollars. Silly.

Here's the line:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5990206504870255558

Great videos, thanks for posting them! I was fortunate to get there at 7 in the morning and was in front of the store, so part of the first 30 inside - phone went on sale at 6:00, got out by 6:20. Looks like they had PLENTY to go around, and people were taken care of.

I would assume the experience was much the same at any Apple store - even if they were told by corporate to "do this and do that" the employees were so enthusiastic and friendly and excited that they could have easily 'planned' the high-five run themselves - it was truly a great gesture, as was thier coming out every few hours with BOXES of bottled water for the line waiters. What class, what style, what panache. All of Microsoft's money couldn't BUY this kind of excitement and attitude over a product. Bless Bill Gates for Microsoft Office for Mac, but ya can't help feeling for the guy sometimes - next to Jobs, he's kind of a goof. (As for Balmer, I won't even GO there!)

Various food vendors at FV came down to the line with treats - sample pizza, Rubio's coupons and free food, even Godiva Chocolates got into it. Every media you can imagine was there. When you finally got an iPhone, there were lines of employees at the store exit applauding you as you left. You were made to feel almost like royalty for your dedication in standing in line (and willingness to fork over hundreds of dollars!) The Apple staff had me grinning ear to ear - I almost felt giddy.

Fellow MacRumors member and all around great guy skinnylegs and his beautiful daughter somecalifemme (with cute baby that stole all the attention!) brought the now infamous iPhone iCake posted here earlier - it was probably the most photographed and videotaped cake in history. Previous forum conversations convinced fellow member txag95 to come on down as well, and all of us had a lovely time in line.

Yours truly got some air time, as well as member skinnylegs, on Sign On San Diego. Check it here - just gotta put up with the 30 second commercial in front of it:

http://tinyurl.com/2wwfpw

Good times, good memories. And there's still plenty left in stock at your nearest Apple store. (By the way, the iPhone is truly a work of art - the interaction between user and device borders on, dare I say, 'magic.')

This forum is the most fun I've had since anticipating the 1st redesign of the original iMac. (remember 'lump-stick-rectangle'?) What a blast. High Five's and love to y'all.....:p

Scott

Doctor Q
Jun 30, 2007, 12:11 PM
2:45

I'd wager that there are about 120-150 people in line at this point.

4:45

200 people in line.To fill in the gap, there were 183 people in line at 4:30. I had fun talking to a number of people in line and to some Apple employees too. One guy took a photo of me for his blog.

I talked to a lady who came to the Apple Store from north county to buy an iPod, and she had never heard of the iPhone! Bad timing, lady.

By 10:45pm, there were no lines, but still plenty of people in the store, and a security guard still outside. There were still iPhones for sale, so the inventory held out.

powerbook911
Jun 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
The CV place was a joke the first 40 minutes or so. The line moved so "slow." They said people were looking at accessories or something. I say, get the phone. ha-ha.

After I finally got through approx 75 minutes later (eventually the line started speeding up) there was almost no one behind me.

It was rather fun to be there the first day I guess. The traffic was CRAZY though. the 805/5/15 situation. It took me hours to get there. I had to go down to 905 or whatever and take that back to 805.

voicegy
Jul 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
On the Apple site / iPhone section they've devoted some space to 'day one' pictures from several Apple stores - the only four cities they have pictures from (official Apple representative pictures, not pictures sent in by the general public) are Chicago, Miami Beach, New York....and San Diego! Not even LA is in the list - I'm surprised how much we "rate" with them. :p

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/dayone/fashionvalley.html

Doctor Q
Jul 1, 2007, 02:25 PM
Did anybody at Fashion Valley find themselves in one of those photos?

voicegy
Jul 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
Did anybody at Fashion Valley find themselves in one of those photos?

Interesting...upon visiting it again later today, I've found some 'editing' has occured - there's only 6 pics there instead of 10.

I'm in the background of one of the crowd 'high five' shots - white shirt with beard looking at the camera in back of guy with blue hat and child.

MacsomJRR
Jul 1, 2007, 11:56 PM
Are we all out of the 8GB models in San Diego? I called the two apple stores around 4pm today and they were all gone. I've also heard that all AT&T stores have run dry for now.

apretto
Jul 2, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hey There so on at Apple.com on the Availibility Page of the Iphone. It says that there should be phones availible tommorow at Fashion Valley.
UTC and Otay Ranch show unavailible.
As for Att stores I assume most to all are sold out here

MacsomJRR
Jul 2, 2007, 12:11 AM
Hey There so on at Apple.com on the Availibility Page of the Iphone. It says that there should be phones availible tommorow at Fashion Valley.
UTC and Otay Ranch show unavailible.
As for Att stores I assume most to all are sold out here

I called the Fashion Valley store late today (prolly around 7 or so) and the helpful sales associate said they'd sold out but said nothing about being restocked tomorrow. I hope they do get some in!

MacsomJRR
Jul 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
Showed up early at UTC and despite the apple site showing they'd have phones I was told that they in fact did not have any phones yet today. Then drove down to the Otay Apple Store (showed up at 9:10) and they'd already sold out... bummer of a morning as far as finally getting an iPhone:(

txag95
Jul 3, 2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks again everyone at the FV store. I had a great time. I had to wait until noon on Saturday to get my phone activated, but now I just stare at it waiting for someone to text or call me so I have an excuse to play with it!! It is sooooo pretty :D Apple always does a great job with presentation and user interface.. soo nice. I am just going to tear up my credit card bill when it comes in so I don't have to look at the price ;)

thanks again everyone, fun fun fun

skinnylegs
Jul 3, 2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah.....my daughter and I had a great time as well. I think my grandson actually 'kinda enjoyed himself too! :D

FreeState
Jul 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
Does any one know a Tim that posted here? I remember seeing his mySpace page that had some screen shots or iPhone stuff a few weeks back but cant find the posting now. Im fairly certain it was on MacRumors.

The reason Im asking is that he was killed just down the street from my house last Friday. They released his name today and I did a quick google and found the mySpace page I had seen in the past. Im not sure if he is a poster here but if he was I wanted to give a heads up to anyone that knew him.

Here is the sad story: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070716-0427-homicide.html

Here is his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/timtsd

skinnylegs
Jul 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
Wow....that is really tragic. I never met Tim but my condolences go out to his family. What a senseless crime.....

voicegy
Jul 16, 2007, 11:50 PM
I don't know Tim either, the myspace page doesn't give much information or a picture. A tragic loss, I'm most sorry to hear about it.:(

cbickfo1
Aug 28, 2007, 12:49 AM
Bought iPhone 6/29 with ease and activated on iTunes with ease and
things were good with the phone the first night except it locked up while
playing TWIT. Found out about the reset without opening the phone or
calling apple. Hold ON/off and Home button simultaneously and it resets.

Went to UK july 5th and could not buy a UK Pay as you good phone in the
Healthrow Airport. Gatwick had phone stores and mutliple options and SIM
cards to buy from a real person who could install it in an UNlocked Cingular
phone. Worked great with pay as you go.

Inability to turn off the incessant accessing of O2, Vodafone and Tmobile
was disturbing. One month and $1,600 of roaming fees has lead me to
John Chesier at the La Jolla Village square store and he was very helpful.
Blackberry has the only unlimited Data plan in UK.

Mr Chesier has come close to getting the fee cut in 1/2 if I buy unlimited international data plan. 49.99 for 1 year. This continues to seem very
exhorbitant. I will probably go for small claims and switch completely to
Tmobile here and abroad.

cbmd La Jolla CA
858454 7171
cbmd@san.rr.com

call or email if you have succeeded in eliminating any portion of your
internet charges.