PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Phones

utilizer
Jul 6, 2003, 06:57 PM
Is it possible to talk on a bluetooth phone, say a T68i for instance, and surf the internet on your laptop or PDA using the data connection on your phone?
Anyone tried it? If it works or doesn't quite just yet work, let me know.
Thanks

Frohickey
Jul 7, 2003, 12:46 AM
Probably, but it will be slow, so you will want to just do the bare minimum.

That, and I think there are surcharges for that too.

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 12:52 AM
i'm sure it's espensive as all hell.

almost certainly an option to explore ONLY in the most DIRE situations...

utilizer
Jul 7, 2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by jbomber
i'm sure it's espensive as all hell.

almost certainly an option to explore ONLY in the most DIRE situations...

For those that don't know yet, the PowerPage.org reports that you can get unlimited mobile data streams on your T-Mobile Plan for $29.99/mo. or $20 if you have a voice plan with those guys.

Sprint has a similar plan, but is targeted at business users, therefore the price on that is $80/mo., even if you have a voice plan. Their PCS Vision plan is $20 though, but they will disconnect you without notice if you use that service for PDAs or laptops, and not just the lousy phone surfing.

Both have a downsize though: The PCMICIA (or whatever that card port is called) wireless card will set you back a good $300-$400 depending on which one you get.

Vector
Jul 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
It is possible and most providers offer unlimited data services, but they are slow andnot worth it in my opinion. If it were me and i wanted to do a limited amount of online stuff while on the go i would gety a blackberry (i think they are coming out with improved color ones soon).

Has anyone here used a sony ericsson T616? I was thinking of getting one from cingular because it was the only onne they offered with blue tooth that i liked, but i have heard mixed reviews about sound quality.

frozenstar
Jul 7, 2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by utilizer
Is it possible to talk on a bluetooth phone, say a T68i for instance, and surf the internet on your laptop or PDA using the data connection on your phone?
Anyone tried it? If it works or doesn't quite just yet work, let me know.
Thanks

Most manufacturers use GPRS Class B. That means that if you initiate a voice call, your data session will be suspended until the call is over. So to answer your question, no, it won't work.

ibookin'
Jul 8, 2003, 12:10 AM
I know that Verizon offers a service called Quick2Net that allows you to surf the web at 14.4 for no extra charge. It just uses your regular cell minutes, and with unlimited N/W minutes this feature is quite nice for checking email and iChat use. Since Verizon doesn't have any Bluetooth phones, you need to use a USB cable to connect the phone to the computer.

Like Sprint, Verizon also offers unlimited data for $80 a month. Unlike Sprint, however, you can use this service with a phone or with a PCMCIA card. This means that iBook and 12" PowerBook users aren't out of luck when it comes to high-speed wireless.

frozenstar
Jul 8, 2003, 08:15 AM
T-Mobile's offering is much better. $20/month unlimited data usage. There are lots of Bluetooth GSM phones, so it's no problem to use it wirelessly with your laptop to surf the Net.