PDA

View Full Version : To Bluetooth or not Bluetooth?

CaVoLo
Jul 6, 2003, 07:44 PM
the only reason i even consider upgrading my computer configuration to include a bluetooth module is the hope in my head that apple will release a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse.

My question is with normal wireless peripherils you have to replace batteries. With bluetooth will you still have to replace batterires or will this be a BATTERY FREE technology??

thanx for you help

Freg3000
Jul 6, 2003, 08:32 PM
Bluetooth will drain batteries I am afraid. That is why many people think Apple won't release a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse-because it is so unapple like to replace batteries every 2 days.

It doesn't use much power though-as even when I don't turn it off after using it on my PowerBook, I don't notice a faster battery drain.

pinks
Jul 6, 2003, 08:42 PM
As someone who just splashed out 35 for a bluetooth module, all I can say it that it was money well spent. I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but a bluetooth phone (t610) - what a fantastic programme iSync is. All contacts and calender appointents synced in a few seconds. And tranferring pictures is dead easy too saving money on cables.

The bluetooth integration in 10.2.6 is very, very sweet. My advice, don't wait for a bt keyboard (which I don't think they'll make anyway, perhaps a mouse though!) as a prompt to get into bluetooth... its fun already :)

- Al

cr2sh
Jul 6, 2003, 09:00 PM
bluetooth is a luxury that came stock in my 17" powerbook, but i have yet to be able to use. cell phones are hard to find (who wants to use AT&T?), microsoft offers a mouse and keyboard bluetooth rig.. but again (who wants microsoft?)

i'm going to drop my cingular phone for a verizon acct (yet the fail to offer a bluetooth phone). i have found that bluetooth is a wonderful idea, but its just not time for it yet. the hardware is hard to find.. :(

Freg3000
Jul 6, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
i have found that bluetooth is a wonderful idea, but its just not time for it yet. the hardware is hard to find.. :(

Actually, although I have two Bluetooth devices (Palm & cell phone) I most frequently use Bluetooth for small files. Example:

My computer is in my room. I need to type up a document. I don't want to sit at my desk and on my uncomfortable chair typing. So I take my laptop, relax on my bed, and start typing. When I am done, I send the file via Bluetooth to the desktop, 5 seconds later, the file in on the desktop.

Although the range for Bluetooth is very small (about 30 feet) it is perfect for situations like this.

P.S. Sony Ericsson Clicker is a great utility for Bluetooth phones.

P.P.S. I think they changed the name of the utility to Sailing or something.:)

cr2sh
Jul 6, 2003, 09:37 PM
At work I use a Trimble 5800 unit to do different RTK work, it has blue tooth enabled data transfer from antenna to collector. It might be a bad design, but I have trouble getting 15feet away from the antenna without losing lock. Let alone 30feet with walls and other multipath...

The cell-phone dilema has been a huge pain in the butt.. all i want is a blue-tooth phone, that syncs with my powerbook (including adress book and photos) and has good coverage area, i can use as a wireless modem, and doesnt cost $120 per month. No go... so Ive decided to settle for a phone that offers none of those features, and simply has good coverage.

CaVoLo
Jul 6, 2003, 10:01 PM
ok thanx guys according to all your responses it seems that bluetooth would be a waste of 50 dollars for me.

i dont see much use for it from my perspective. although many of the things you listed seem to be nice features, i dont need any of those features.

jbomber
Jul 6, 2003, 10:18 PM
Bluetooth is HOT. Especially if you have a bluetooth compatible phone or something. t68i + Bluetooth + Clicker application = FUN.

I'd say get it.

MacFan26
Jul 7, 2003, 07:27 PM
I would get bluetooth, I'm using it with my printer, which is really helpful since I'm living in a dorm right now, and the printer cord won't reach my computer, so I have my printer on the windowsill, lol. While bluetooth is still new, I think a lot more companies are working on hardware to work with it, if you're intending on keeping your computer for a few years I would suggest it.

windwaves
Jul 7, 2003, 09:37 PM
MacFan26,
what do you mean when you say " you are using it with your printer ?". I would love to do that, but I have no idea how. Do you have a bluetooth printer ?

thx

bertagert
Jul 7, 2003, 10:17 PM
whats the deal with the blutooth keyboard and mouse? I use the logitech cordless mouse and keyboard which are not bluetooth (radio I think) and they work great. As for battery life, the mouse gets put in the charger so that never runs out of juice, and the keyboard is on the same batteries for 2 + years now. Having it bluetooth makes no difference. Waiting for Apple to make it makes no sense unless you HAVE to have it match your system. I say forget that and go get the logitech stuff.

Back to topic. Bluetooth is real nice if you have a phone, printer, soon to be speakers (actually there already here) and much more. Having the printer on the other side of the room is nice. No cord is even better. I'm waiting for a scanner to arise (I haven't researched lately so they may already exists). Yes it might be a little slower but I really don't care. Bringing the PowerBook over and not having to hook things up to it when I get to my desk is real nice. I do have to connect the monitor and one usb cable but thats it. Having no wires would be better. Hopefully soon.

MacFan26
Jul 8, 2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by windwaves
MacFan26,
what do you mean when you say " you are using it with your printer ?". I would love to do that, but I have no idea how. Do you have a bluetooth printer ?

thx

I have an Epson Stylus C82 that can run over bluetooth, it was only $99, which was good since it's in my price range. I'm not sure about other companies that have bluetooth printers, but I'm sure there are others. I know there's also a card that you can plug into an old printer to make it compatible with bluetooth, but I don't know where to get them (sorry!!)

Lanbrown
Jul 8, 2003, 09:43 AM
One of the rumors is that the Apple will have a BT mouse and keyboard. To power them a mat is placed in the desk that provides the power and is plugged into an AC outlet. The company that developed it is called MobileWise. It does sound like something Apple would use though. A peecee company has already jumped onboard.

What I see Apple doing is creating a rechargeable mouse and keyboard with BT. Most likely the mouse will need to have a rechargeable battery as I do not know how well the system could power a moving object. It could start the charge process after a few minutes of inactivity.
http://www.mobilewise.com/

If I were to buy a new Mac today, I would get the BT option installed. While there are not that many applications/devices for it now, just wait.

Foxer
Jul 8, 2003, 11:23 AM
BT phone and mouse. Both are extremely cool. I switched to T-Mobile just to get a BT phone. The microspoft mouse is nice (most of their mice are) and the batteries lasted quite awhile beofre dying (a couple months, at least). Also, the mouse comes with a BT USB hub, which my PB didn't need, so I was able to plug it into the powermac and, voila, both my macs are bluetooth capable.

iSync is just too cool.

Plus, when i was phone shopping, I really enjoyed the blank stares of the clerks when i asked if they had any bluetooth phones. They had no idea whatsoever.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 8, 2003, 11:54 AM
i think that it i technology not fully developed and used... yet. it's time will come soon enough. also, apple could build in a rechargeable battery into a bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard. when you're not using your ocmputer, simply put it in the charger. it could charge via usb or fw.
just an idea:rolleyes:

Lanbrown
Jul 8, 2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
also, apple could build in a rechargeable battery into a bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard. when you're not using your ocmputer, simply put it in the charger. it could charge via usb or fw.
just an idea:rolleyes:

I say they use the pad to power the keyboard and mouse. Think of the possibilities, their notebooks as well. The mat can provide up to two or three hundred watts. You could even place your iPod on it and have it recharge it. Add BT to the iPod and you could even sync to the computer with it, albeit not very fast. It would be great for contact, notes, etc though; maybe even play music from the iPod to the computer, no wires needed. What about non-Apple products like mobile phones and such? Apple seems to embrace mobile technology, not to mention at the forefront of computer technology as well.