Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Hello!

I have an iPod which is formatted for use in Windows. I recently purchased an MBP, and would like to use the iPod with the Macintosh machine. Can I just plug the PC formatted iPod into the Mac machine and it will take care of the rest?

Or is there the process more complicated than that?

Thanks a lot!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The short answer is that you can just plug it in. :)

The long answer is that this has changed over time, although all iPods have always been usable on Macs regardless of formatting:

- At first, all iPods were Mac formatted and only macs could use them. This is around the time of the first and maybe 2nd generation iPods.

- Later, iTunes/Win came out, and iPods came in Mac format, but they could be formatted in Windows format. If they were Mac format, only Macs could use them; if they were Windows format, both Macs and PCs could use it. This is around the time of the 3rd generation iPod.

- Now, all iPods are Windows formatted, and they all work on both Windows PCs and Macs. This started around the time of the Clickwheel and the Mini.

So regardless of which generation you have, it will work on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.