PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Boston, MA

berkleeboy210
Jun 16, 2007, 10:54 PM
Where's everyone in the Boston Area headed on the 29th? We have like 6 or 7 apple stores to choose from, and a ton of ATT Stores.

I'm debating whether to go to Cambridgeside, or the ATT store on Boylston St. by Copley Square.

Checking things out around noon, if there's a line then, I'm staying. if not I'll just stay in the mall for the afternoon checking back periodically.

Just wanted to get opinions from my fellow people in the Bean!

**To the Mod's: I by accident, typed this post in the "Anyone Camping out in San Diego" Thread. could ya delete that post for me?

Thanks!

r6girl
Jun 17, 2007, 08:05 AM
i work in the city, but live in the 'burbs north of boston. leaving work early will be a must (unfortunately, i can't work from home that day since it's my last day in the office before a 1-week vacation). i am thinking of:

finding an at&t store or apple store in the city and just settling down in line around 4:00 pm.
or heading to a store closer to home to do the same thing
or driving up to the NH mall (no sales tax!) and trying to get one there

i just can't picture where the lines will be the worst. maybe there will be less people in the city as they take off early for july 4 vacations? but then i worry about college students heading to the stores in droves. i'm guessing the mall will be crowded regardless, and i worry a bit about it being a mob there with no coherent line.

i'm game for tag-teaming standing in line if other people are. that would be helpful to scout ahead to see what's going on in the store, taking bathroom breaks, and getting chai tea lattes at starbucks (my personal favorite) for everyone involved!

tkidBOSTON
Jun 17, 2007, 08:11 AM
I actually have the day off on the 29th so I was going to head down to the Apple store at Cambridgeside when I roll out of bed (or around opening time, whichever happens later) to see what to expect the day of. If it looks like there is going to be a line, I'll either jump in it or head to an AT&T store where it should be less zoo-like. Ideally though, I'll just wait in line at a place where they have free wifi.

infobhan
Jun 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
Cambridgeside is the most convenient for me, but I fear it will be for all people. My guess is that the AT&T stores will be the least crowded. I think the thing to do will be call ahead and ask what their policy is in terms of lines, etc. Some places, during the Wii/PS3 craziness, handed out coupons so people didn't need to wait in line.

iMeowbot
Jun 17, 2007, 09:02 AM
Where's everyone in the Boston Area headed on the 29th?
To a secret underground bunker until the hysteria wanes.

Private Sector
Jun 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
you better believe i'll be out at chestnut hill.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 19, 2007, 06:48 AM
Does anyone know if any of the Apple store locations around here have free wifi?

applehero
Jun 19, 2007, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know if any of the Apple store locations around here have free wifi?

I believe they all do, at least every store I have been to does.

Fredo521
Jun 19, 2007, 09:30 AM
I live closer to New Hampshire than Boston, so I'll be at the apple at the Rockingham Mall in Salem, where I always go. And there's no taxes! :p

tkidBOSTON
Jun 19, 2007, 11:26 AM
Care of the Boston Globe via Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2007/06/19/where_you_can_get_the_iphone/)

Where to get the iPhone:

647 Boylston St., Boston
290 Washington St., Boston
371 Washington St., Boston
1329 Beacon St., Brookline
75 Middlesex Turnpike, Burlington
1 Central Square, Cambridge
860 Providence Highway, Dedham
50-60 Worcester Road, Framingham
25 Franklin Village Drive, Franklin
98 Lower Westfield Road, Holyoke
50 Holyoke St. F391, Holyoke
769 Iyannough Road N187, Hyannis
1224 Iyannough Road, Hyannis
90 Pleasant Valley St., Methuen
1250 South Washington St., North Attleborough
88 Needham St., Newton
999 South Washington St., North Attleborough
140 Main St., Northampton
1 Sylvan St., Peabody
1395 North Main St., Randolph
Route 1, South Main Street, Saugus
475 Winter St., Waltham
1018 Riverdale St., West Springfield
310 Lowell St., Wilmington
453 Park Ave., Worcester

Apple Stores

250 Granite St., Space 1027, Braintree
75 Middlesex Turnpike, Space 1091, Burlington
100 Cambridgeside Place, Cambridge
199 Boylston St., Chestnut Hill
94 Derby Shoppes, Suite 275, Hingham
210 Andover St., Peabody

berkleeboy210
Jun 19, 2007, 12:46 PM
Care of the Boston Globe via Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2007/06/19/where_you_can_get_the_iphone/)

Where to get the iPhone:

647 Boylston St., Boston
290 Washington St., Boston
371 Washington St., Boston
1329 Beacon St., Brookline
75 Middlesex Turnpike, Burlington
1 Central Square, Cambridge
860 Providence Highway, Dedham
50-60 Worcester Road, Framingham
25 Franklin Village Drive, Franklin
98 Lower Westfield Road, Holyoke
50 Holyoke St. F391, Holyoke
769 Iyannough Road N187, Hyannis
1224 Iyannough Road, Hyannis
90 Pleasant Valley St., Methuen
1250 South Washington St., North Attleborough
88 Needham St., Newton
999 South Washington St., North Attleborough
140 Main St., Northampton
1 Sylvan St., Peabody
1395 North Main St., Randolph
Route 1, South Main Street, Saugus
475 Winter St., Waltham
1018 Riverdale St., West Springfield
310 Lowell St., Wilmington
453 Park Ave., Worcester

Apple Stores

250 Granite St., Space 1027, Braintree
75 Middlesex Turnpike, Space 1091, Burlington
100 Cambridgeside Place, Cambridge
199 Boylston St., Chestnut Hill
94 Derby Shoppes, Suite 275, Hingham
210 Andover St., Peabody

Good List. We're lucky here in MA to have so many to choose from. Wishing that Flagship store @ 800 Bolyston was open though for this.

Steve1496
Jun 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
Either Braintree or Derby Street in Hingham.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 19, 2007, 12:54 PM
Based on my list, looks like the Burlington mall is my desitantion. Both an Apple store and an ATT store in the same location. Can't beat that!

RR08EvoX
Jun 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
im going to either chestnut hill or the ATT/Cingular store accross from my appartment on Needham st in Newton. I get home about 530pm from work so I realize I will be far from the first in line. Hopefully I can still get one though since these places should be less busy than others.

Is anyone else going to these locations, it would be nice to get someones cell number that will be there so I can call and ask how the lines are shaping up. That way if its a must I can allways claim I have some emergency and leave work early if it looks like the line is getting big

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 19, 2007, 09:21 PM
While I'm NOT going to buy a Rev A Iphone, I might bring 610.00 dollars to the mall in Salem, NH - and get a Quad iced caramel macchaito at Starfishbucks.

Then we'll see what stimulant + impulsiveness equates to.

Likely, not much, being you can't buy an iphone with only 1.67 in change left over from Starbucks, can you?

OSXPuma
Jun 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
So there are more AT&T stores in Boston, but iPhone will only be at "select stores", meaning not franchised, or kiosks.. Although Apple will have more in stock I presume. So, do I risk going to AT&T where there could only be 40 in stock? or do i wait in a ridiculously long line at APPLE on June 29?

Out of the readers, who is going to Apple Cambridge Side? and who is going to Chestnut Hill?

And who is going to AT&T? which one?

c'mon details, people, details....

tkidBOSTON
Jun 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
So there are more AT&T stores in Boston, but iPhone will only be at "select stores", meaning not franchised, or kiosks.. Although Apple will have more in stock I presume. So, do I risk going to AT&T where there could only be 40 in stock? or do i wait in a ridiculously long line at APPLE on June 29?

Out of the readers, who is going to Apple Cambridge Side? and who is going to Chestnut Hill?

And who is going to AT&T? which one?

c'mon details, people, details....

The list in the post above are store where the iPhone will actually be sold at, not a list of all ATT locations. As for how many will be stocked, who knows, but expect fewer people rushing to an ATT store than an Apple store.

berkleeboy210
Jun 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
i'm leaning on going to the AT&T Store in Copley Square as of now. Was debating on Cambridgeside, but I'm thinking it may be too crazy there, as it was just for the launch of Panther when I waited in line it wrapped around the Mall just for that

OSXPuma
Jun 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
i'm leaning on going to the AT&T Store in Copley Square as of now. Was debating on Cambridgeside, but I'm thinking it may be too crazy there, as it was just for the launch of Panther when I waited in line it wrapped around the Mall just for that

Seriously? wrapped around the Mall?

I took the day off of work and plan to check out the Cam.side around 9am, don't mind hanging there all day. Here's the reason, i have apple gift cards from Christmas that will give me great deal on the iPhone. So am locked into an Apple store. :(

cyclone84
Jun 20, 2007, 12:08 PM
i'm leaning on going to the AT&T Store in Copley Square as of now

I'm thinking the same...I live just east of Copley Square. I can "spy" on the ATT store pretty easily and wait until a line starts to form.

berkleeboy210
Jun 20, 2007, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking the same...I live just east of Copley Square. I can "spy" on the ATT store pretty easily and wait until a line starts to form.

Especially if the rumors are true that if you buy from the Apple Store Activation will be done automatically over the phone. I need to port my number from TMobile, so I'd rather go to an ATT Store and have it done right.

berkleeboy210
Jun 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Seriously? wrapped around the Mall?

I took the day off of work and plan to check out the Cam.side around 9am, don't mind hanging there all day. Here's the reason, i have apple gift cards from Christmas that will give me great deal on the iPhone. So am locked into an Apple store. :(

yup I got there say around 4:30ish, and by close to 6:00 the line went all the way around to about "Sam Goody's" when that store existed.

kernyboy
Jun 20, 2007, 11:08 PM
yup I got there say around 4:30ish, and by close to 6:00 the line went all the way around to about "Sam Goody's" when that store existed.

so how far into the line were you when you got there at 4:30? should i get there at 9am and just hang around the mall til closing? and do i HAVE to get a contract if i buy the iphone at the apple store? The plan is to buy 3. one for me and mysister the third on ebay. do you have to get contracts for ALL 3?

Grimace
Jun 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
yep, for every iPhone purchased, you'll need to buy a voice+date plan.

berkleeboy210
Jun 20, 2007, 11:24 PM
so how far into the line were you when you got there at 4:30? should i get there at 9am and just hang around the mall til closing? and do i HAVE to get a contract if i buy the iphone at the apple store? The plan is to buy 3. one for me and mysister the third on ebay. do you have to get contracts for ALL 3?

I wanna say that I was a little past the CVS Entrance.... I can't really remember exactly, but this is a different ballgame here. that was for $129 Software this is a $600 Phone + Contract. It's really hard to predict.

I think come 10am on June 29, I'll call em, and see if anyone is in line yet, and call every few hours until 3pm or so.

But I'm still 95% I'll be at the ATT store on Boylston Street, it's outdoors and I can work on my Tan before I head to FLA :cool: and I'm not sure how well the apple employee's will be trained on porting numbers and such.

r6girl
Jun 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
okay - i've decided. i'm going to hit the wilmington at&t store first (they are a corporate-owned store, not a reseller). i'll call them the day before to confirm that they have or will be getting iphones to sell on the 29th. i will leave work early and i should get there around 4 pm.

anyone here want to meet up and tag-team the line?

thedude126
Jun 21, 2007, 06:44 PM
okay - i've decided. i'm going to hit the wilmington at&t store first (they are a corporate-owned store, not a reseller). i'll call them the day before to confirm that they have or will be getting iphones to sell on the 29th. i will leave work early and i should get there around 4 pm.

I'm thinking of going there too...the parking lot is so small, maybe a big line won't be possible? Especially if the weather is no good, people might rather go to the Burlington Mall where they can try their luck at both the Apple store and the ATT store.

I went in a few weeks back and asked if they were getting them and if they had a list. A sales rep said there was an informal list and took my info, also telling me that they will not hold any, it is first come, first serve. He also said that if you are not on the list you won't get to buy a phone until all the people on the list get theirs...I think that is bull. Two days ago a girl called me, she had no useful info other than they will close from 4-6 and are hiring a security guard for the night, so they are expecting a line. I didn't ask her if the bit about needing to be on the list to get a phone was true, but maybe you should call and give them your info just to be safe. Good luck ;)

r6girl
Jun 21, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'm thinking of going there too...the parking lot is so small, maybe a big line won't be possible? Especially if the weather is no good, people might rather go to the Burlington Mall where they can try their luck at both the Apple store and the ATT store.

I went in a few weeks back and asked if they were getting them and if they had a list. A sales rep said there was an informal list and took my info, also telling me that they will not hold any, it is first come, first serve. He also said that if you are not on the list you won't get to buy a phone until all the people on the list get theirs...I think that is bull. Two days ago a girl called me, she had no useful info other than they will close from 4-6 and are hiring a security guard for the night, so they are expecting a line. I didn't ask her if the bit about needing to be on the list to get a phone was true, but maybe you should call and give them your info just to be safe. Good luck ;)

yeah, i'm thinking this might be one of the less popular spots for people to try to line up at (and i'm hoping i don't jinx myself by saying that). the good thing is that there's a gas station with a coffee shop right across the street for potty breaks, and there's an empty field on the other corner that i've seen used for extra parking.

thanks for the tip on calling them to put my name on whatever list they have - i tend to think they won't use it either, but it can't hurt.

feel free to pm me if you do decide to go to this store!

keehinckley@gma
Jun 22, 2007, 11:14 AM

I just called today and they confirm they are getting them. They say there is no signup list (I seriously doubt any signup list would survive a line of paying customers anyway).

I picked the Wilimington Store as relatively close to me, and outside of 128. I wouldn't go anywhere near a mall for the simple reason that you can't line up at a mall before it opens (which door opens first? what about the people who sneak in with the store employees?)

Yes, supposedly the 6pm time will get rid of people lining up in the morning, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Wilmington Store opens at 9am and I plan on being there before then. If there's no sign of a line I might head off to a café for a while (unfortunately that area doesn't have many selections other than a Starbucks, and that one exit away), but otherwise I'm just bringing my laptop, spare battery (and wishing someone would make a battery charger again), and camping out.

I've been cell-phone-less for two years, avoiding getting locked in while I waited for the iPhone. I'm not planning on missing this :-)

It's a pity my spare car batteries and DC/AC converter are down on the Cape, otherwise we could set up a power depot in the line. :-)

r6girl
Jun 22, 2007, 01:24 PM
I just called today and they confirm they are getting them. They say there is no signup list (I seriously doubt any signup list would survive a line of paying customers anyway).

Yes, supposedly the 6pm time will get rid of people lining up in the morning, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Wilmington Store opens at 9am and I plan on being there before then. If there's no sign of a line I might head off to a café for a while (unfortunately that area doesn't have many selections other than a Starbucks, and that one exit away), but otherwise I'm just bringing my laptop, spare battery (and wishing someone would make a battery charger again), and camping out.

It's a pity my spare car batteries and DC/AC converter are down on the Cape, otherwise we could set up a power depot in the line. :-)

good to know this store will indeed be getting iphones - thanks for the heads up! if i could take the day off of work, i would seriously consider getting there earlier than 4:00 pm too. there is a dunkin' donuts at the mobil gas station right across the street, but i don't think there's really any place to sit there. bringing lawn chairs might be in order! i'm not going to worry about battery power with my macbook since 6:00 pm will come only a couple of hours after i get there... :)

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 22, 2007, 02:12 PM
Anyone know if Cingular has a 2 week "trial" for coverage and what not? I'm tempted to buy an i-phone, but my biggest concern is coverage. Verizon and Sprint both offer a satisfaction no-termination grace period of 2 weeks or so.

If the termination fee thing is true - and the buying your own iphone w/o cingular activation is too. Get a phone from cingular (a freebie) and buy an i-phone, then transfer your sim card, and hock the phone you don't need.

At least get part of your 175 outta them.

(#&*$ another thunderstorm, ciao.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 22, 2007, 02:16 PM
Anyone know if Cingular has a 2 week "trial" for coverage and what not? I'm tempted to buy an i-phone, but my biggest concern is coverage. Verizon and Sprint both offer a satisfaction no-termination grace period of 2 weeks or so.

If the termination fee thing is true - and the buying your own iphone w/o cingular activation is too. Get a phone from cingular (a freebie) and buy an i-phone, then transfer your sim card, and hock the phone you don't need.

At least get part of your 175 outta them.

(#&*$ another thunderstorm, ciao.

The Boston thread might not be the best place to get this question answered. I'd try a search followed by starting your own thread.
Or you can check THIS (http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/) out to get an idea of coverage in your area.

anlance
Jun 25, 2007, 12:04 PM
Is anyone going to the burlington mall apple store?

or the att store on winter street in waltham?

genova35
Jun 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
This store is only 1.5 miles from my house, so I was planning on riding my bike over and checking out the hype and if the line isn't so bad, I might jump in. If it is, I will just head home and order one online.

Anyone else plan on Rt. 1?

Rode my bike past the Wilmington store this past weekend to scope it out and it is pretty remote, but easy access from 93.

venisj
Jun 25, 2007, 12:49 PM
if i have an existing contract then i'm cool right? its a family plan so as long as my pops okays activation of a phone upgrade for me...its cool? i was planning cambridgeside too...how about the yahoo mail thing...users can still get their mail for free right???

anlance
Jun 25, 2007, 12:54 PM
if i have an existing contract then i'm cool right? its a family plan so as long as my pops okays activation of a phone upgrade for me...its cool? i was planning cambridgeside too...how about the yahoo mail thing...users can still get their mail for free right???

the mail from yahoo is free comes with the phone

not sure about the activation thingy

tkidBOSTON
Jun 25, 2007, 01:11 PM

Please use the search function, these questions have been asked and answered a number of times already.
Additionally, lets keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

toddp73
Jun 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
i live in southern Maine, and I love going to the Apple Store at the Rockingham Mall in Salem. It is a long drive, but it's worth it, as it is the closest real apple store. I was going to go down there for the iPhone, but I decided that im can easly get one here at one of many at&t stores. P.S anyone from maine camping out? if so where? - Todd P.

ukmichael27@hot
Jun 25, 2007, 01:25 PM
Im thinking of going to Chestnut Hill Mall. If they are sold out, then I will go to the Needham St AT&T Store in Newton. If either one is sold out, apple.com is only a click away. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go until after work (5:30)...

berkleeboy210
Jun 25, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ok Guys. Just got back from the AT&T Store on Boylston St in Copley Sq. got pre-approved for a line with no deposit :)

I was asking the dude all kinds of questions, and he seemed pretty knowledgable, but take anything said here with a grain of salt.

he said the data plan will probably be about $40 (comparable to what others have been saying)

they are expecting 50 phones at that particular store.

I also asked him what the deal would be at the Apple Stores, and he said there would be an ATT Kiosk set up inside the store.

And he said if i wanted to port my number, just take a temp number on friday night, and then come back on monday when it's not as crazy and get it done then.

So now it really depends on which store I wanna go to. I was leaning towards that store, but now since they are only supposedly getting 50, I dunno if I'll have better luck at the Apple Store.

I'll call both stores upon opening on Friday and see if there's a line that has formed yet and make my decision then.

Just wanted to give ya'll an unconfirmed update!

4 days!

MartyMoe
Jun 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
To a secret underground bunker until the hysteria wanes.

I will be hiding as well. Love to see it in action, but can't deal with the Boston traffic.

Have fun and happy hunting to all who are going, though!

I will expect all of your reports on my desk by Monday morning first thing. :D

duky
Jun 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
I will expect all of your reports on my desk by Monday morning first thing. :D

Monday?! Haha, I think you'll have reports by Saturday morning - if even that late. Assuming the iPhone launch parties don't leave us with too much of a hangover..

sprocket003
Jun 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
I'm going to the Dedham AT&T Store. I have my name on their unofficial list. I called and spoke to a guy there who basically said they'd call down the list and if you're there they'll try to get a unit into your hands. I have been fearful about crowds and now sure what time I should get there. I am planning on arriving around 12:30-1:00pm.

Who else is going there? What time are you arriving at your respective store?

Cleverboy
Jun 25, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm going to the Waltham AT&T/Cingular store. They've promised to take good care of me. :) Seriously though, I wish one could predict what place would:

A.) Have iPhones
B.) Not have a lot of people
C.) Have knowledgeable staff
D.) Have reasonable "powerups" available

Just occured to me though. Is the Apple store better than the AT&T store though (I know, I know... but I had a different reason)? AT&T won't be selling insurance, yet Apple will be offering Apple Care. I suppose I can buy that later online though, right?

Anyway... off to the Apple store now. Need to pick up a new iPod cable. My mother's going to gift me an iPhone, and has declared the expense worthwhile if I hand over my Nano to her in reasonable working condition. Done! :)

~ CB

clo2400
Jun 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
Im sure you guys have answered this but i am new...Are they signing people up for at&t plans at the Apple Stores or just selling the unit? or is that unknown? thanks!

berkleeboy210
Jun 25, 2007, 08:14 PM
Im sure you guys have answered this but i am new...Are they signing people up for at&t plans at the Apple Stores or just selling the unit? or is that unknown? thanks!

According to the guy I talked to the Copley Square ATT Store Today, There will be some form of a ATT Kiosk set up inside the apple store for activation.

don't take anything seriously until we get some official press releases hopefully tomorrow.

bigredgpk
Jun 26, 2007, 06:29 AM
I cannot buy an iPhone, I have a Treo 755p and am very happy about it, but I'll be at the Cambridgeside to witness the hysteria and possibly try one out for a few mins.

Timmay

clo2400
Jun 26, 2007, 07:50 AM
@berkleeboy

thanks, thats what i have been reading also. something about an itunes activation too.

I don't know what people think about this but ill throw it out there anyway. I want to buy the iphone on friday and then sell it on ebay. Any suggestions on how to do it or can someone direct me to the correct forum. ill search also, thanks.

crispoe
Jun 26, 2007, 07:57 AM
I think you will be able to activate the phone over itunes- somehow linked to the apple id. If you are porting numbers it may be a different story. It shall be interesting...

xlosltove777
Jun 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm planning on going to the Apple Store at the North Shore Mall in Peabody considering it's about 5 minutes away from my home. I was just wondering if anyone else on here will be going there. I'm really wondering how early I should get there, I'm planning noon for now. I'm not there to get an iPhone but to just see the people before and see the iPhone in person(I'm guessing they'll have a floor model). I have nothing better to do Friday anyway.

berkleeboy210
Jun 26, 2007, 09:14 PM
Wow, The Boston thread has been dying down a bit. Hopefully this is a good sign.

I'm still thinking hard about which store to go to.

I probably won't know till friday morning.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 27, 2007, 06:24 AM
Wow, The Boston thread has been dying down a bit. Hopefully this is a good sign.

I'm still thinking hard about which store to go to.

I probably won't know till friday morning.

While the posts might have died down, this thread is has been viewed many many times.

I personally don't know which store to go to either. Now that activation is done over iTunes, I'm thinking I want to find a store close to home. I might just head downtown around 3 and grab a spot in line there. That way I'll be a short T ride back.

berkleeboy210
Jun 27, 2007, 07:41 AM
While the posts might have died down, this thread is has been viewed many many times.

I personally don't know which store to go to either. Now that activation is done over iTunes, I'm thinking I want to find a store close to home. I might just head downtown around 3 and grab a spot in line there. That way I'll be a short T ride back.

me too, i'll call the att store at 10, see if there's a line yet. if there is not, i'll leave around 2ish. and be there by 3.

ukmichael27@hot
Jun 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
Is there a point to selling it on EBay when everyone can just order it on apple.com? It seems that by the time you get the phone, auction it and send it out, someone could already get it direct and with free shipping from apple's website. Just a thought...
@berkleeboy

thanks, thats what i have been reading also. something about an itunes activation too.

I don't know what people think about this but ill throw it out there anyway. I want to buy the iphone on friday and then sell it on ebay. Any suggestions on how to do it or can someone direct me to the correct forum. ill search also, thanks.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
Is there a point to selling it on EBay when everyone can just order it on apple.com? It seems that by the time you get the phone, auction it and send it out, someone could already get it direct and with free shipping from apple's website. Just a thought...

Try this thread instead: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=317240

dharrison9
Jun 27, 2007, 02:51 PM
I'll be at Chestnut Hill at 2pm haha. Bring my Macbook Pro and just wait. It'll be alright with the free internet, and then I can activate it right there haha.

It's also my birthday on June 29th, so that's pretty cool! We should all have some kind of identifying mark to see who is from MacRumors.

crispoe
Jun 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
lets just hope they have more than 50. ;)

crispoe
Jun 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
lets just hope they have more than 50 ;)

berkleeboy210
Jun 27, 2007, 05:33 PM
lets just hope they have more than 50. ;)

what time r u getting there? hoping for at least 150 :D

sprocket003
Jun 27, 2007, 05:39 PM
Who else is freaking out about how many people will be there, how many units, how early to arrive... I'm going crazy. I feel confident I'll get one but I'm still anxious. I think Apple's going to do it well this time. I'm sure they know what to expect. They certainly are good at causing hype.

I'm going to the Dedham AT&T store around 1:00pm. Let me know if you'll be there!

Steve1496
Jun 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Who else is freaking out about how many people will be there, how many units, how early to arrive... I'm going crazy. I feel confident I'll get one but I'm still anxious. I think Apple's going to do it well this time. I'm sure they know what to expect. They certainly are good at causing hype.

I'm going to the Dedham AT&T store around 1:00pm. Let me know if you'll be there!

Yeah, I'm really not sure what to expect. I think that if I get there early friday between 9-1 (since Apple Stores close at 2, I believe lines will begin forming that. AT&T closes at 4). I guess I'll have to keep calling around.

If it rains, I'll be going to a mall (braintree). If not, I'll be going down to Hingham.

Steve

stomachdoc
Jun 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
I don't think I can stomach a long line; but I think I'll stop by Chestnut Hill on my way home from work at 5ish; if it's nuts I'll head to the ATT store in Framingham. If they sell out, I'll hit the online site.

buddha1iron
Jun 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
I'm planning on going to the Apple Store at the North Shore Mall in Peabody considering it's about 5 minutes away from my home. I was just wondering if anyone else on here will be going there. I'm really wondering how early I should get there, I'm planning noon for now. I'm not there to get an iPhone but to just see the people before and see the iPhone in person(I'm guessing they'll have a floor model). I have nothing better to do Friday anyway.

I may be there as well. While I am still on the fence about getting an iPhone, I am an Apple fan and still want to be part of the hysteria in some way - even if it's being an observer. I'll probably have my 5 yr old with me. He is a die hard mac fan and and knows about iPhone day.

macdaddysax26
Jun 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking of hitting up Rockingham. I live in Cambridge but Cambridgeside is A) a pain in the butt to get to & park at and B) I think it's going to be the most crowded of all the local Apple stores. I'm even thinking Chestnut Hill may be pretty packed. What do you guys think?

Anyone else interested in Rockingham? It's far out enough that it may be (relatively) quiet and NO SALES TAX :cool: We can meet up and if there's a line, hold spots for each other and all that nerd goodness.

berkleeboy210
Jun 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
OK, Now I'm leaning more towards the Galleria. After seeing the posts earlier about the possible Stock at the Apple Store's Vs. ATT Stores.

Mother Nature must know people are waiting for something here tomorrow, thus she is breaking her heat wave tonight.

I still think I'll call both an Apple and ATT store at 10 tomorrow, just to see what the deal is then. Then, I'll make my mind up.

decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Channel 7 just did a story on it on the 6pm news, doesn't seem like many are interested, out of all the ppl they interviewed only one said he was actually lining up for it.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 28, 2007, 05:27 PM
Around 5:30 or 6 I might swing by Rockingham to buy 610 dollars worth of coffee on my way home from work.

I'm morbidly huge and bald, so I tend to stick out in the "apple community".

mostman
Jun 28, 2007, 08:51 PM
I'll be going to Rockingham around 11/12ish. My plan is to check the line - if its more than 50 deep - I'm going to pull up a lawn chair and start reading. Otherwise, I'll go and run some errands/catch a movie and check back. Once the line meets the 50+ criteria - I'm in it.

I think the press has done an EXCELLENT job of trying to sink this thing. Everyone I know that is not a crazy Apple fanatic, is on the fence.

So tomorrow might not be crazy. People are in a holding pattern at this point. However, mark my words, when they sell 100k+ of these tomorrow, and people start using their friends iPhones - the next two weeks will be GROSS. Kind of like how demand for an Indy film works. Tomorrow is your best shot.

-Mike

nightcap965
Jun 28, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cambridgeside.

Look, there are more than enough to go around, this hysteria is pure unadulterated marketing hype. If you want to join in the frenzy of the faithful, you can't do it at a little AT&T/Cingular chapel, you gotta go to the Great Temple of Apple itself.

MBp lover
Jun 28, 2007, 09:27 PM
I have a store that i am going to that doesnt have a line as of 10 PM I will be there around 7Am

anlance
Jun 28, 2007, 11:10 PM
Cambridgeside.

Look, there are more than enough to go around, this hysteria is pure unadulterated marketing hype. If you want to join in the frenzy of the faithful, you can't do it at a little AT&T/Cingular chapel, you gotta go to the Great Temple of Apple itself.

I'm not looking for a circus so the att store sounds great at this point.

I might hit the burlington mall apple store but its far from my office
however there are 2 att stores within walking distance of each other on washington st in boston i figure thats good odd's

Plus I gotta work.:(

anyone else looking to hit the att store's on washington st?

basicfiend
Jun 28, 2007, 11:19 PM
Lets be realistic here. Boston is a city of working professionals. The only ones waiting in line are the fanatics (read: crazy) guys posting here. I'll stop by Cambridgeside after dinner. Maybe have to wait an hour or so. But I don't think they're going to run out of stock (otherwise they'd be sold out for the weekend too!) and I'd much rather wait 1 hour and get the phone at 9p, then wait 8 hours and get the phone at 6p.

If I didn't hate my current phone so much, I'd probably just wait until Saturday. Talk about the need for instant satisfaction. Look what microwave has done to us.

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 01:33 AM
Lets be realistic here. Boston is a city of working professionals. The only ones waiting in line are the fanatics (read: crazy) guys posting here. I'll stop by Cambridgeside after dinner. Maybe have to wait an hour or so. But I don't think they're going to run out of stock (otherwise they'd be sold out for the weekend too!) and I'd much rather wait 1 hour and get the phone at 9p, then wait 8 hours and get the phone at 6p.

If I didn't hate my current phone so much, I'd probably just wait until Saturday. Talk about the need for instant satisfaction. Look what microwave has done to us.

I thought that, but there are more 'crazy guys' than you think! The Braintree Apple Store opening, which is a relatively small town of 30,000 had hundreds of people--I didn't think there'd be a line.

Cambridgeside will likely be the busiest place. I would not be so sure about walking in whenever you want. As for me, my Treo 750 is driving me nuts lately. I reset it 3-4 times a day. I'm counting the seconds until I get iPhone.

Best of luck to all Bostoners!
Steve

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:14 AM
Hey, cambridge side is looking good. that is, if you come NOW. so far the ends just before the CVS. Ive been here since 3:30AM and I'm 2nd in line. I'm on my MBP and using the stores wireless. So if you're heading over, now would be the time!

berkleeboy210
Jun 29, 2007, 07:20 AM
eek.... i was hoping there wouldn't even be a line already..... how many ppl would u say are there now?

i'm planning on heading there around 1ish-2ish. if it's too jammed then i'll just go to ATT.

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:24 AM
eek.... i was hoping there wouldn't even be a line already..... how many ppl would u say are there now?

i'm planning on heading there around 1ish-2ish. if it's too jammed then i'll just go to ATT.

I HIGHLY recommend getting here now. rumor has it, they only have about 100. and the majority of the people i spoke to are buying 2 each. The line is quickly growing.

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:25 AM
I HIGHLY recommend getting here now. rumor has it, they only have about 100. and the majority of the people i spoke to are buying 2 each. The line is quickly growing.

PS, ATT stores have EVEN less (30 or 40) phones. and i hear those are much more crowded.

genova35
Jun 29, 2007, 07:28 AM
Hey, cambridge side is looking good. that is, if you come NOW. so far the ends just before the CVS. Ive been here since 3:30AM and I'm 2nd in line. I'm on my MBP and using the stores wireless. So if you're heading over, now would be the time!

Keep the reports coming! For those of us that have to work this is great information.

berkleeboy210
Jun 29, 2007, 07:32 AM
Can you post back around 1. and let me know what the deal is over there? to save me a trip if necessary....

thanks dude. good luck.

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:33 AM
at present, the line stops at lenscrafters. The majority of the people in line all have their mac tops clicking clacking away blogging myspacing etc. The people here are really cool, holding spots for the occasional food and bathroom break. by noon, i anticipate the line being down near cheese cake factory. the atsmosphere is prety calm and security is being cordial. people are tricklin in though. If you want to be pretty certain of getting a phone, id say get here within the next hour or so. I surveyed a few people in line an the majority all seem to be getting 2 phones favoring the 8gig model.

Dm84
Jun 29, 2007, 07:43 AM
Damn, I was going to try and head over there around noon. I may have to go to an AT&T store instead.

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 07:46 AM
Just as I thought. I'm hoping my less known, less crowded Apple stores don't have anyone there yet. I'll call as soon as they're open.

Steve

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:55 AM
Food-
bathroom -
cool people who hold spots -
media coverage -

i hear thru the grape vine, apple is giving away something special to the first people in line

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:13 AM
cabridge galleria line apparoaching star bucks

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 08:14 AM
Burlington, MA line
http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/iphoneline/2097310

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:19 AM
http://www.whatmorecanisay.net/Photo_105.jpg

http://www.whatmorecanisay.net/Photo_104.jpg

view from cambridge gallery line.

macbook123
Jun 29, 2007, 08:20 AM
I can't get out of work before 1pm, and am able to be at any store in the Cambridge/Boston area by 1:30-2:00. If anybody has errants to do between then and 6:00pm, and wants to purchase only one iPhone, I could reserve his/her spot in the meantime. Send me a message if interested. Thanks.

appledrummer
Jun 29, 2007, 08:24 AM
does anyone know how the south shore store is doing?

p.s. A while ago a apple employee at cambridge told me that that store was third buisiest in the world! Makes sense since it is CAMBRIDGE after all. Get there early!

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 08:26 AM
does anyone know how the south shore store is doing?

p.s. A while ago a apple employee at cambridge told me that that store was third buisiest in the world! Makes sense since it is CAMBRIDGE after all. Get there early!

I'll be calling them @10.

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 08:32 AM
Actually just called Apple Store Braintree (South Shore). There are 'a few people' waiting.

...Same goes for Hingham/Derby Street!

berkleeboy210
Jun 29, 2007, 08:37 AM
I just called Cambridgeside for the heck of it, and they said there are about 20 ppl in line, is that accurate?

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
by my count, 30. keep in mind there are roughly 100phones per apple store. and most i talked to are buying two

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 08:45 AM
This is making me nervous. I was hoping the whole needing to wait in line this would turn up as just people being over anxious and I'd be able to show up at 3 or 4 and be comfortable with my spot. But if you guys already have lines forming and its not even 10am... :(

macbook123
Jun 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
To see whether it makes sense for me to show up at Cambridge Side or ATT store Mass Ave at 2pm, could somebody who's in line count the number of folks waiting at 1pm, while I will try to find out via phone how many units they have in stock? Am not sure whether the situation there allows counting the number of people waiting, but if it does, that would be really helpful!

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 08:47 AM
by my count, 30. keep in mind there are roughly 100phones per apple store. and most i talked to are buying two

100? You mean 1500??
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/28/apple-and-atandt-store-iphone-inventory/

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:49 AM
nope, its closer to 100. the big stores liek the oens in NY are getting the mother load

macbook123
Jun 29, 2007, 08:53 AM
nope, its closer to 100. the big stores liek the oens in NY are getting the mother load

I wonder whether the store employees will be able to give you the exact number they got. They're not (yet?) answering their phone line...

Thanks for keeping us posted!

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
im buying two, and would be willing to sell off one. I can send you proof of my position on the line (not a scammer)

nightcap965
Jun 29, 2007, 09:02 AM

Kerny, bubelah, there are an order of magnitude more than 100 iPhones in any Apple store today. Apple is not stupid, and they're damned sure not going to sell out in the first half hour and piss off hundreds of hot, sweaty, tired, frazzled, impatient, fanatical people.

I'll take a look see this evening. If it looks like a Who concert, the iPhone will wait for a calmer day.

mostman
Folks - I'm on my way to the Salem NH store. I'll report back when I get in line.

macbook123
im buying two, and would be willing to sell off one. I can send you proof of my position on the line (not a scammer)

I send a message to you on macrumors to see how we can meet up. Thanks!

Dm84
Jun 29, 2007, 09:04 AM
I'm definitely just going to go to an AT&T store and hope that the employees don't give me a hard time. I just want to add the iPhone to my existing family plan line.

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:05 AM
How can I contact you? You can send a message to my email as listed on Macrumors. Thanks!

kernyboy@gmail.com

feel free to ask me anything! I'm here to help anyway i can

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:12 AM
I send a message to you on macrumors to see how we can meet up. Thanks!

can you send to my gmail. im not really familiar with the mac forum email set up. sorry :(

macbook123
Jun 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
can you send to my gmail. im not really familiar with the mac forum email set up. sorry :(

I did! Thanks so much!

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:25 AM
i just sent you a reply

mostman
Jun 29, 2007, 10:02 AM
In line at Salem. 26 people in line right now.

This is 100 percent your best option right now. The ATT store upstairs has 10 people in it.

If you are one of the 25 with me - howdy!

-Mike

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 10:13 AM

This is 100 percent your best option right now. The ATT store upstairs has 10 people in it.

-Mike

Awesome... can you please keep posting updates regularly? (hourly?) I'm thinking about joining you up there but I want to hold out until the afternoon.

Many thanks! :)

cybertron3
Jun 29, 2007, 10:16 AM
Is there free wifi at the Galleria?

Dm84
Jun 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
Is there free wifi at the Galleria?
Yes.

Brian Live
Jun 29, 2007, 10:19 AM

-Mike

Hey Mike, I'm going to be heading there in a few hours as soon as I can get out of work. I'm assuming there is free WiFi since you're posting on here. Can you confirm?

Anthony8720
Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 AM

-Mike

Oh man, i won't be able to make there until 4:30. If any apple employees say that not everyone in line will be able to get one could you let us know? That would save me a crappy rush hour drive.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 10:32 AM
Current Line Conditions:
(Ill do my best to edit/ update this post accordingly)

MA
Braintree: "few people" @9:30am
Burlington: 40 @1:15pm
Cambridge: 50+ @11:30am
Chestnut Hill: 50 @12:45pm
Hingham: 50 @2:00pm
Peabody: 20 @12:30pm

NH
Salem: 50-60 @2:00pm

Any updates?? PM/ Post if you have them!

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 10:37 AM
Current Line Conditions:
(Ill do my best to edit/ update this post accordingly)

MA
Braintree: "few people" @9:30am
Burlington: ?
Cambridge: 30 @9:45am
Chestnut Hill: ?
Hingham: ?
Peabody: ?

NH
Salem: 26 @11:00am

Any updates?? (Or did I miss anything?)
cambridge - 50 plus and steadily growing. im there now

r6girl
Jun 29, 2007, 10:47 AM
anyone know about the line situation at the at&t store in wilmington? i won't be able to get there until 4:00 pm this afternoon... :(

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
At Hingham now. There are about 20+ people here. I attached a camera phone pic.

stomachdoc
Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
Chestnut Hill, 12Noon: 25 people.

Courtesy of the wife at Bloomie's returning shoes.

dharrison9
Jun 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Chestnut Hill has about I'd say 50 people waiting now. The line is over at Mont Blanc now, five or six stores down. It's not too bad and the people are nice. Anyone want updates just post here and I'll be happy too. Apple's nice enough to have free WiFi for us waiters.

I'm sure we'll all get a phone. Why would Apple open their stores until midnight if they were gonna sell out in an hour? Just think it through and don't get anxious.

supermaan
Jun 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
Chestnut Hill has about I'd say 50 people waiting now. The line is over at Mont Blanc now, five or six stores down. It's not too bad and the people are nice. Anyone want updates just post here and I'll be happy too. Apple's nice enough to have free WiFi for us waiters.

I'm sure we'll all get a phone. Why would Apple open their stores until midnight if they were gonna sell out in an hour? Just think it through and don't get anxious.

Lucky you, over here past the corner of the Mont-Blanc store, the Apple store Wifi signal doesn't reach.

BTW, a passer by mentioned that she saw them unload the phones from the truck, and said "there are lot". I certainly hope so...

Maan

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 12:00 PM
Anyone have updates for the stores we haven't heard from yet: Burlington, Peabody??

Or from the stores we haven't heard from since the morning: Braintree, Cambridge, Salem??

surfjim
Jun 29, 2007, 12:11 PM
Just went through Peabody @ 12:30...about 20 in line at the Apple store and 4 in line at the AT&T store across the street...come on 5pm!

bazooted
Jun 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm in line in Burlington MA at the apple store... close to 40 people i'd say...

RR08EvoX
Jun 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
Whats the most recent line count for the chestnut hill store?

Also anyone know if people are waiting at the ATT store on Needham Street yet?

genova35
Jun 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
I am going to head there after work...anyone heard anything?

mostman
Jun 29, 2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry for the slow update folks. I stepped out of line (girlfriend is with me - holding my spot) to get a haircut and do some shopping :)

Here in Salem we are at about 50/60 people.

WiFi - yes, of course.

Attempting to attach a photo:

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hingham update...
iPhones are hre but not unboxed. Unknown quantities.

About 50 people in line.

mostman
Jun 29, 2007, 01:03 PM
Ok - another update. The line is growing FAST now. Get your self down here now. 50 just became 60 pretty fast.

ukmichael27@hot
Jun 29, 2007, 01:03 PM
I am going to the Needham St AT&T Store. Not sure what time im going though... Updates appreciated!

mostman
Jun 29, 2007, 01:05 PM
And the Apple store is DOWN.

surfjim
Jun 29, 2007, 01:12 PM
Any Peabody updates? Anyone in the Apple line in Peabody? Beers on me :-)

And the Apple store is DOWN.

mostman
Jun 29, 2007, 01:23 PM
They are covering the glass windows with opaque black paper.

Sick.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
Okay, I'm going for it...
I'm heading up to NH to wait in line. I should be arriving between 3:30-3:45. Look for the dork in the "I'm a Mac" t-shirt and green shamrock Celtics hat! :)

wyzewoman
Jun 29, 2007, 01:45 PM
Any Peabody updates? Anyone in the Apple line in Peabody? Beers on me :-)

I'm in the line at Peabody. Just got here, there seem to be about 50 folks...

appledrummer
Jun 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
How's south shore doing? Images?

They keep tellin' me on the phone that they're not allowed to disclose the amount of people in line:mad: :eek:

surfjim
Jun 29, 2007, 01:51 PM
Can't get there until 5pm:mad:

macbook123
Jun 29, 2007, 01:58 PM
I just got to the AT&T store on Mass Ave/Central Square and there claimed spot 20 in the line. Am not sure whether I should stay or come to the mall. Policy is only 1 phone/customer at the AT&T store, versus 2 per customer at the mall. On the other side quantities at the Apple store will be larger. What would you guys do?

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
I just got to the AT&T store on Mass Ave/Central Square and there claimed spot 20 in the line. Am not sure whether I should stay or come to the mall. Policy is only 1 phone/customer at the AT&T store, versus 2 per customer at the mall. On the other side quantities at the Apple store will be larger. What would you guys do?

dude. id stay put. Cambridge side is out the door. even though they have more...i think EVERYONE is coming here. stay put and get one.

Brian Live
Jun 29, 2007, 02:09 PM
Good amount of people here at the Salem store. In the last 30 minutes or so I'd say 25 new people have got in line. Everyone in-line is super friendly, good atmosphere. I took a couple of pictures with my (soon to be retired RAZR) to give you an idea of what it looked like here at about 2:15PM

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1206/0629071418gu8.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2819/0629071419hq0.jpg

nsb3000
Jun 29, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm in the line at Peabody. Just got here, there seem to be about 50 folks...

Correction: that's 50 (57 now) in Braintree, not Peabody. (I'm sitting next to wyzewoman right now). The line seems to be growing by about 5 people every 10 minutes. Rummer is they have 300 iphones, but not sure if that's accurate.

Steve1496
Jun 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
Correction: that's 50 (57 now) in Braintree, not Peabody. (I'm sitting next to wyzewoman right now). The line seems to be growing by about 5 people every 10 minutes. Rummer is they have 300 iphones, but not sure if that's accurate.

Was planning on going to Braintree but the mall people there are very rude and don't like lines. Is there any problems there? Someone in line here said they're not allowing any camera phones near the Braintree store. True?

appledrummer
Jun 29, 2007, 02:17 PM

Could you please post come pics, anyone able to do a video feed? Where are you in line?

surfjim
Jun 29, 2007, 02:34 PM
Anyone have any Peabody details? I may bail out of work a bit early...

basicfiend
Jun 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
Anyone have an accurate count of # of people at Cambridgeside?

Is it hopeless to come now?

nsb3000
Jun 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
Could you please post come pics, anyone able to do a video feed? Where are you in line?

Sorry, I don't have a camera on me. We're up to 65 in Braintree now. Things are very orderly.

buddha1iron
Jun 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
Anyone have any Peabody details? I may bail out of work a bit early...

SurfJim,

I was at the NSM about an hour ago, and there appeared to be about 60 people sitting in line - doesn't it seem like every Apple store has 50-60 ppl in line? Anyway, the ATT store on 114 only had about 8 in line, so that's where I may end up.

surfjim
Jun 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks! Hope to see you there! I have a blue striped shirt and blue shorts on...

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
I got to the Salem store about 10 min ago, and am finally online. The line is growing at a rate of about 1-2 people a minute since I got here. For anyone here I'm leaning on the backside of the big potted plant next to the stairs. :) Yay iPhone!

appledrummer
Jun 29, 2007, 03:28 PM

How's Braintree?

kernyboy
Jun 29, 2007, 03:30 PM
so...i just spoke to management here, (im 2nd in line) so I cant really see from here, but there are 150 in line going out of the building and across the street. They are grouping people in lots of 30 to keep pathways clear etc. But if you we'rnt here earlier, i think youre pretty much screwed. I havent seen the fedex shipment come in, but if /when I do I will keep you guys posted.

nsb3000
Jun 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
How's Braintree?

Growing very fast now -- I can't see the end of the line from where I am. I'd estimate between 125 and 150 people now.

Brian Live
Jun 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/684/0629071730py1.jpg

Above is an image of the Apple Store in Salem as they "unveiled" the new iPhone displays.

appledrummer
Jun 29, 2007, 04:50 PM
they really know how to make it seem like forever with those displays

summitwynds
Jun 29, 2007, 05:53 PM
Just came from the Greendale Mall Worcester. We were told they would have some iPhones.... been there since 11:30 this morning.... ONLY taking orders to ship. THEN my address wouldnt validate (I've lived there for 43 years) on the ATT computer system... so needless to say NO iPHONE for me. Is there any in NH.... Hows the line?? Any chance of getting one tonight???

MacQueequeg
Jun 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
If anyone is still checking this forum, how is it going? Any indication of the number of iPhones available at various stores? Are the lines moving? My hope is to find someplace (preferably Burlington or Cambridgeside) that still has phones at 10 or 11 tonight.

Dm84
Jun 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
I got mine at the AT&T store in Downtown Xing. Place was a ghost town until 3 pm. I was #6 in line. The phone is sweet.

supermaan
Jun 29, 2007, 07:06 PM
I just spoke to a friend who was at Cambridgeside, and they sold out!

berkleeboy210
Jun 29, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Gang,

Got home around 7pm. I was 7th in line at the Boylston St. Store. Got there around 11:45 this morning.

It was pretty quiet until around 2:30-3ish, then things started to pick up. I wanna say by the time I got out of the store around 6:30 and got a full look at the line I'd say about 200 or so people were there.

Phone is absolutely amazing, will take some getting use to. but I must say I was able to start using the keyboard right away without making any errors.

I also picked up the clear belkin case, they were trying to sell accesories so much.

Good Group of People in Line though, very friendly, one girl even ordered pizza from the Upper Crust on Newbury St and had it Delivered to the line.

Overall a Great Day, and now lets get started with iWeekend!

ckelly5
Jun 29, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hey all.

Anyone at/ come from either Salem, NH or Burlington recently? I'm wondering if they're sold out as well. I was thinking about going by one and/ or the other a little later this evening and am curious as if there'll be anything left. I figured there would be some inventory at most stores, seeing they'll be open until midnight, but with word cambridgeside is sold out, I am starting to think otherwise...

ouegamer
Jun 29, 2007, 07:53 PM
I was Number 1 in the AT&T store at the Solomon Pond Mall, and they got NONE. the AT&T's web site lists them as a store for the iPhone, but the manager said they didn't get them in western Mass, because of some shipping mistake. That the "flagship" stores only got 10.

Jim Murphy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:56 PM
We went to Burlington at 6:45 pm and waited less than a minute (we basically walked right in). By the time we left there (my wife spent more time picking out a case than buying the phone -- they were *very* streamlined) was no line and only occasional buyers were walking in. Based on conversations with employees they seemed to have plenty in stock at that time.

Note: AT&T store in mall had gotten <50 and had sold out in 45 minutes.

tkidBOSTON
Jun 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
We went to Burlington at 6:45 pm and waited less than a minute (we basically walked right in). By the time we left there (my wife spent more time picking out a case than buying the phone -- they were *very* streamlined) was no line and only occasional buyers were walking in. Based on conversations with employees they seemed to have plenty in stock at that time.

Note: AT&T store in mall had gotten <50 and had sold out in 45 minutes.

Agreed-- The Salem store was great and they made it seem like they had plenty in stock. They're open for another hour and a half if anyone needs one tonight. :D

kieranhalcyon
Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 PM
the salem store still had plenty (in excess of 50 visible in the front of the store) by the time 10:30 rolled around and it sounded like they still had more boxes out back that hadn't even been touched

Cleverboy
Jun 29, 2007, 10:29 PM
I was at the Chesnut Hill Apple Store. Got an iPhone 8GB and an Airport Extreme. Only took about 20-30 minutes to get in once the line started moving. I got there at about 3pm, and the line had just poked out the door. By 6PM it was all the way down the side wall of the building, and Apple was passing out water bottles. It was awesome. :) Lots of good people waiting out there. Sadly, the Apple Bluetooth headset wasn't available yet. Dang it.

Been browsing on EDGE all night. GREAT STUFF. I have NO problem with EDGE being my backup connection. And, driving through the city, WiFi spots identified themselves left and right. Typing on the iPhone is awesome by the way. I especially like the BIG keyboard in landscape mode and how they handle drop-down menus (select boxes) is pretty smart!

Now... back to developing! This was just a simply awesome day.

Activation took 10 minutes, and I even switched my number from Sprint/Nextel! I visited Cambridge Side later around 9:30 PM. Considering they sold out, I guess I know why folks looked at me funny! I just grinned and kept walking and surfing...

~ CB

J.J. Sefton
Jun 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
I went to the Peabody Apple Store after coming up empty at the Framingham and Worcester AT&T stores.
I thought any Apple Store would be a mob scene, but the traffic was ok. I walked right up to the Genius Bar and got the 8 gig iPhone. I'm waiting for the sync to finish, but so far I dig it.

ckelly5
Jun 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
update. Hit the Burlington Apple store at 10:45PM. they still had plenty and the place was hopping. lots of people, lots of iPhones on display. Got one for me and one for the lady. It is an incredible device...

copland007
Jun 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
I am the proud last purchaser at the Salem store tonight 10 mins to closing :) They still have plenty of both models if anyone is looking for them tomorrow.

mdwelsh231
Jun 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like the apple stores have plenty of iphones in stock. Went to the Burlington store this morning and around 5 people were waiting at 9am. No worries at all and I am now a proud owner of an 8 Gb model. I suspect the same will hold through the weekend.

I don't have any evidence of this but it seems plausible that they may have a big stock but only sell a certain number each day (to avoid being perpetually out of stock each day). Indeed the Apple retail store check app shows that all of the stores have stock. So for folks who didn't want to wait it out yesterday, today you should be in luck!

ukmichael27@hot
Jun 30, 2007, 10:19 AM
I also just purchased an 8 gig iphone this morning from Burlington after waiting in line yesterday at the AT&T store in Newton for only to be told they didn't have phones. They made me order one (told me it would take 2 weeks with direct fullfillment). Since I got one at Burtlington this morning, I tried to cancel the order, but AT&T told me they can't do that, and I would have to refuse the shippment when it comes. I hate AT&T! But, I LOVE my new iphone!

PS Burlington had TONS in stock if anyone wants one.

knowitall
Jun 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
Looks like the apple stores have plenty of iphones in stock. Went to the Burlington store this morning and around 5 people were waiting at 9am. No worries at all and I am now a proud owner of an 8 Gb model. I suspect the same will hold through the weekend.

I don't have any evidence of this but it seems plausible that they may have a big stock but only sell a certain number each day (to avoid being perpetually out of stock each day). Indeed the Apple retail store check app shows that all of the stores have stock. So for folks who didn't want to wait it out yesterday, today you should be in luck!

Whoever said that the Cambridgeside Galleria was out of stock was probably trying up the prices that these "beauties" could be sold for on Craigslist or eBay. I got there past 11 PM last night (the 29th) and they had hundreds left.

my thoughts, the internet is slower than dial up, from WiFi AND from EDGE... once on, the capabilities seem very limited, I.e. I could not get flash player to install (was it me?... little help?) or is the OS not really a full OS X?

anyone?

mdwelsh231
Jun 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
my thoughts, the internet is slower than dial up, from WiFi AND from EDGE... once on, the capabilities seem very limited, I.e. I could not get flash player to install (was it me?... little help?) or is the OS not really a full OS X?
anyone?

It's been advertised widely that the browser will NOT support flash.
I'm finding the web browsing to be pretty fast actually, on both WiFi and Edge. The edge is a little sluggish but still extremely usable.

I did power-cycle the phone after I first synced it in case that helped it register correctly with the network - seems to work well.