PDA

View Full Version : Hijacking G5s for folding....

Mr. Anderson
Jul 7, 2003, 09:07 AM
Ok, just a thought - but if the machines are fast enough to get through a couple WUs a day, you could go to the Apple store in the morning and set one up, or a few...:D

Now, we'd need good scripts and easy access to them from the internet - and if we could *hide* the work files someway so they don't get erased, alter the ps aux terminal command to omit showing folding processes......

Any thoughts?

D

NNO-Stephen
Jul 7, 2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ok, just a thought - but if the machines are fast enough to get through a couple WUs a day, you could go to the Apple store in the morning and set one up, or a few...:D

Now, we'd need good scripts and easy access to them from the internet - and if we could *hide* the work files someway so they don't get erased, alter the ps aux terminal command to omit showing folding processes......

Any thoughts?

D

I have a thought! :D

good idea

pEZ
Jul 7, 2003, 10:20 AM
Dibs on the Woodfield Store.

Once people tell me how to do it :D

mc68k
Jul 7, 2003, 12:37 PM
i can give mac subversion tips if ppl want them

i could also modify my scripts with hidden folders (. prefix) and immutable flags :cool:

Mr. Anderson
Jul 7, 2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
i can give mac subversion tips if ppl want them

i could also modify my scripts with hidden folders (. prefix) and immutable flags :cool:

I think that might be appropriate - and we'd have to test it - set up a AppleStore member name (so we can keep track of production).

Do you have easy access to a Apple Store? If not, I could try it out at one near me. We could set it up on one of the G4s now and see if it gets any WUs done after a shut down and reboot at night.

Are there any special things Apple Stores do with their machines?

D

mc68k
Jul 7, 2003, 01:30 PM
i'm more experienced with the compUSA stores. yesterday i checked my DP 1.42 and it was still going after a week

the crontab entries are set in stone (barring a re-install/re-image or a rare unix-savvy employee), if i was to instead make a startup item, it would be easy to delete

i could swing by the apple store this week. i'm just more wary because the ppl there seem to know more. but the flip side is that ive been in there before actually wanting to talk to someone, and nobody paid attention to me

apple store events are perfect subversion times too

when i wake up some more tonight i can post about my experiences, ymmv of course

mc68k
Jul 11, 2003, 12:41 AM
i was reading mac os x unleashed and found that crontab filename will install a crontab entry for the current user without a admin password (sudo crontab -u username filename)

so that'll make taking over machines one step easier...i must go to the apple store tomorrow and test it out

LimeLite
Jul 11, 2003, 01:23 AM
I thought I heard that at the apple stores they reformat the computers often, maybe even every day, and I think there might be a network startup, not sure.

MacBandit
Jul 11, 2003, 01:56 AM
i was reading mac os x unleashed and found that crontab filename will install a crontab entry for the current user without a admin password (sudo crontab -u username filename)

so that'll make taking over machines one step easier...i must go to the apple store tomorrow and test it out

Is there anyway the current install scripts could be modified to do this automatically. Just being able to open a script and answer a couple questions will surely speed things up especially when you are pressed for time in between nosey/pushy salesmen.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 11, 2003, 02:01 AM
whatever you do, DONT GET CAUGHT!

think 007 style covert ops. get in, complete the mission, have sex with your lady of choice, and get out.

whfsdude
Jul 11, 2003, 02:29 AM
Scripts wouldn't work because they you would need to port forward I would think :-)

Now if the apple store is still running 10.1.5 you could brute force APF heh get on the server :D

I better shut-up now before I get xserved with a cease & desist

NNO-Stephen
Jul 11, 2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by whfsdude
Scripts wouldn't work because they you would need to port forward I would think :-)

Now if the apple store is still running 10.1.5 you could brute force APF heh get on the server :D

I better shut-up now before I get xserved with a cease & desist

I'd hope like hell no Apple store is still running 10.1.5......

Tiauguinho
Jul 11, 2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
whatever you do, DONT GET CAUGHT!

think 007 style covert ops. get in, complete the mission, have sex with your lady of choice, and get out.

If you invert your logic to have sex first with the lady of choice of the store, you might put all the computers folding after! Hell, even the lady of choice home computer too!! :D

NNO-Stephen
Jul 11, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
If you invert your logic to have sex first with the lady of choice of the store, you might put all the computers folding after! Hell, even the lady of choice home computer too!! :D

ahhhh! ;) good idea. (noted)

MrMacMan
Jul 12, 2003, 11:28 PM
You guys need to get your act together, need a better bond style.

Blow stuff up.

Get the Girl.

Grab the stuff.

Re-grab the girl.

:)

Frohickey
Jul 13, 2003, 01:45 AM
Does 'folding' have a set number of benchmarks? I tried it on several Macs and I could not tell if its faster or slower on the different speed Macs.

I know that the RC5-64 had Kkeys/sec numbers that was related to the speed of the Macs.

Looked into the RC5-72(?) and it seems that the crunchers they use are not as fast as I've seen them on G4 machines.

MrMacMan
Jul 13, 2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Frohickey
Does 'folding' have a set number of benchmarks? I tried it on several Macs and I could not tell if its faster or slower on the different speed Macs.

I know that the RC5-64 had Kkeys/sec numbers that was related to the speed of the Macs.

Looked into the RC5-72(?) and it seems that the crunchers they use are not as fast as I've seen them on G4 machines.

Its almost impossible to do, besides for processor each unit or work unit varies in size so therefore there is no way to benchmark, and mac sucks at folding anyway... :(

stoid
Jul 15, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

Are there any special things Apple Stores do with their machines?

I was at the Applle Store the other day buying an iTrip (very nice product!), and the guy said I could go ahead and install the driver stuff using one of the computers in the store because the get freshly imaged each night from a server in the back room. So unless you modify the image, the fah stuff will get lost every night.

MacBandit
Jul 15, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by stoid
I was at the Applle Store the other day buying an iTrip (very nice product!), and the guy said I could go ahead and install the driver stuff using one of the computers in the store because the get freshly imaged each night from a server in the back room. So unless you modify the image, the fah stuff will get lost every night.

Yeah, thats only for the Apple Stores not the certified resellers. I have used Apple stores in the past to access my .Mac account and upload photos off of my digital camera so that I would have more room on my camera during our vacation. They're really good about letting you use them for whatever you need.

The certified resellers on the other hand are still open to being hijacked because I know at least the one here locally doesn't ever reinstall the system.

mc68k
Jul 15, 2003, 01:22 PM
good to know about the re-imaging, i didn't get to try it yet

MrMacMan
Jul 15, 2003, 07:46 PM
good to know about the re-imaging, i didn't get to try it yet

Can someone explain the idea of re-imaging.

Whipes the hard drive or something?

Is every folder deleted and such?

Even hidden ones?

Vlade
Jul 15, 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Can someone explain the idea of re-imaging.

I'm pretty sure that they have a hard drive in the back room on a computer with a clean instal of 10.2, and when they re-image the macs at night, they are copying the disk image from the server to the macs HD, byte for byte.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

MrMacMan
Jul 15, 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
I'm pretty sure that they have a hard drive in the back room on a computer with a clean instal of 10.2, and when they re-image the macs at night, they are copying the disk image from the server to the macs HD, byte for byte.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Well obviously I don't know but there are apps that don't come with a normal system.

All of the apple based apps are on there...

I think photoshop was on the PowerMacs... I can't imagine they have to re-install every day.

iJon
Jul 15, 2003, 08:08 PM
i wouldnt do it, there is nothing more annoying to a salesman than people putting their stuff on their computers. plus the demos running on the computers kill every process when they start up. since its running at 100 cpu power fans are funning constantly so suddenly computers they are trying to sell are hotten and louder. but do whatever you guys want, i would find it annoying with anyone installing stuff on machines im trying to sell.

iJon

Vlade
Jul 15, 2003, 08:48 PM
Well obviously I don't know but there are apps that don't come with a normal system.

I can't imagine they have to re-install every day.

I forgot to say that they include PS 7, FCP, and other apps on that "image" too.

mc68k
Jul 16, 2003, 07:08 PM
i updated the scripts so that u can install w/o an admin password

no more entering crontabs manually :)

Mr. Anderson
Jul 16, 2003, 07:12 PM
oooh, that's nice :D

so we should make a pact that if anyone loads these scripts up to a G5 that they make the user name 'G5'

That way we can see how much we actually get from them....

D

Rower_CPU
Jul 16, 2003, 07:14 PM
Good idea, D.

mc68k and I are all over the Apple Store once they get demo models. :D

MrMacMan
Jul 16, 2003, 07:48 PM
I'll post in order:
iJon on my computer, my iMac doesn't even spin the fans louder then normal even when folding is on at the extra CPU is used.

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Good idea, D.

mc68k and I are all over the Apple Store once they get demo models. :D

If there are test G5's at MacWorld NY/CP I'll hook it up, I doubt they delete stuff overnight, they are only there a couple days... :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU
Jul 16, 2003, 09:11 PM
If there are test G5's at MacWorld NY/CP I'll hook it up, I doubt they delete stuff overnight, they are only there a couple days... :rolleyes:

There are sure to be. Better hurry, the expo ends on Friday...

MacBandit
Jul 16, 2003, 09:29 PM
i updated the scripts so that u can install w/o an admin password

no more entering crontabs manually :)

Does this mean all we have to do is run the script and we're done? We don't have to do anything else to get it to startup again if the computer is restarted?

MrMacMan
Jul 16, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
There are sure to be. Better hurry, the expo ends on Friday...

It is only open for 3 days.

But I'm sure there will be a massive line and a person guarding it.

Oh well.

mc68k
Jul 17, 2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Does this mean all we have to do is run the script and we're done? We don't have to do anything else to get it to startup again if the computer is restarted?

yep

it's as simple as dl image, mount image, double click, name, y, y, cmd-q, delete image

if u wanted to make sure it's insatlled for reboot do a crontab -l, for peace of mind

MacBandit
Jul 17, 2003, 02:32 AM
yep

it's as simple as dl image, mount image, double click, name, y, y, cmd-q, delete image

if u wanted to make sure it's insatlled for reboot do a crontab -l, for peace of mind

Cool, thanks for the fix. That makes it a lot easier for the sneaky fix.

britboy
Jul 17, 2003, 03:12 AM
yep

That's excellent. I'll not be using it for my personal computer (I explained my problem in another thread), but I like this very much. Is there any chance you could do an equivalent for windows?

MrMacMan
Jul 17, 2003, 05:11 PM
I wasn't able to hijack a G5 for folding purposes

you can read that in my community discussion thread ... here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=424095#post424095) currently the last post.

oh well.

[mod. edit - Fixed URL]

mmmdreg
Jul 19, 2003, 10:41 PM
I tried to install rc5-72 at school in the music lab but then I realised after a restart that they have some netboot (?) thing happening or whatever it is. So it will no longer be a startup item. This is windows btw. But then again, PC's suck at rc5-72 so maybe I should just give up. Interestingly enough, the installed files were still in the program files directory. Just some other stuff was removed so it just didn't startup auto anymore.

iJon
Jul 19, 2003, 11:08 PM
I wasn't able to hijack a G5 for folding purposes

you can read that in my community discussion thread ... here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=424095#post424095) currently the last post.

oh well.

[mod. edit - Fixed URL]
i know that, but the imac uses convection cooling which makes next to no noise, about as loud as a whisper in a room. the powermac on the other hand is a whole nother story, you should come feel the heat these thing produces, its outrageos. plus when it does intensive stuff the fan gets pretty loud. in no way am i trying to put folding or anything down, hell i have installed on some machines at school, just not my own. but if it causes the fans to run as fast as they can 24/7 i wouldnt do it, you would be suprised how many customers actually care about issues like that. and if you guys do do it, limit it to just g5's. those laptops get way to damn hot and customers really complain about that, thats why i dont run demos anymore on the powerbooks. good luck to you guys, but i have this feeling with as many people who work at apple reading this site, they will just tell employess to check this and erase it, or the employees will do it themselves, because chances are like me, they dont like extra stuff being installed on the machine. but if they are all for it then great. congrats.

iJon

edit: i quoted the wrong post macman, but you know which one.

janey
Jul 19, 2003, 11:21 PM
i got an even better idea: use the ADC compatibility labs! They got dozens of computers and if you do have a legit reason (i.e. i want to test out my new folding@home thing) they'll let you :D
all we need is a person who lives near cupertino, willing to spend an entire day there...:p

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
i got an even better idea: use the ADC compatibility labs! They got dozens of computers and if you do have a legit reason (i.e. i want to test out my new folding@home thing) they'll let you :D
all we need is a person who lives near cupertino, willing to spend an entire day there...:p

Um... and someone who has ADC with access there. (sorry don't know the specs of the place, not sure who gets access).

But that sounds cool if someone could pull it off. :p

bertinman
Jul 20, 2003, 04:32 PM
Um... and someone who has ADC with access there. (sorry don't know the specs of the place, not sure who gets access).

But that sounds cool if someone could pull it off. :p

ask "that NASA guy"s friend who tested out his CFD code there. ;)

bennetsaysargh
Jul 20, 2003, 06:02 PM
i got an alternative, we can wait untill they ship!:p
no apple people bugging you.
they don't seem to mind me going on iChat whenever i go to the palisades, occasionally going on the forunms and stuff.

by the comments there have been, it looks like authorized resellers are the way to go.

mc68k
Jul 21, 2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
I tried to install rc5-72 at school in the music lab but then I realised after a restart that they have some netboot (?) thing happening or whatever it is. So it will no longer be a startup item. This is windows btw. But then again, PC's suck at rc5-72 so maybe I should just give up. Interestingly enough, the installed files were still in the program files directory. Just some other stuff was removed so it just didn't startup auto anymore. same at the labs at school, i think the startup folder is directly tied into the windows registry...and stuff never stays in there even after 1 day

this is the biggest obstacle from me taking over the whole lab. if u find out anything about this issue i would be very happy. i don't want to sit in there all day and hack to find the source of deletion

rc5 is a waste on pcs btw