PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Houston, TX

Eldentistfuturo
Jun 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
Southwest Houston near Rice.. bunch of choices here. I don't know what time I am going to line up, it all depends on when everyone else does. What about you guys?

julric01
Jun 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
I'm also in the Houston area - not sure what approach to take. We have the 2 Apple stores fairly close to each other - and several AT&T stores. I'm not camping out or any of that nonsense - but I will probably try to run by somewhere around 4pm and start waiting.

What's your plans?

I really am at a loss as to how popular this is going to be??? I mean it is $500 or $600 - we're not talking $299. How many people out there will be burning to spend that kind of dough and be ready for a new contract.

The problem with these boards is that we're all pretty much fanatics and you can kind of get tunnel vision by hearing and reading all the fan sites. Not sure if the general public is really going to rush out to get this...guess we'll see soon.

loudestnoise
Jun 17, 2007, 09:28 PM
I'm in the Houston area too and I'm torn as where to go. 3 Apple stores within reasonable distance (Galleria, Memorial City, Woodlands) plus many AT&T stores. I really want to wait outside of an Apple store but all of those stores are inside malls, so that makes getting inside a store in the early morning or camp overnight on the 28th pretty difficult. I know some malls have their doors open very early, as they have cleaning people, so I think it may be possible to sneak in to the mall, but how does a line even work at that point? The Apple stores will be open during the day. So many questions.

rayward
Jun 18, 2007, 09:21 AM
Southwest Houston near Rice.. bunch of choices here. I don't know what time I am going to line up, it all depends on when everyone else does. What about you guys?

I'm not lining up. I'm hoping that they'll be available over the interwebs and I'll get mine that way. I'll give up a weekend of not yet having an iPhone to save having to line up.

CoachKrzyzewski
Jun 18, 2007, 10:19 AM
lucky for you guys I'll be on vacation that friday... otherwise I'd be lining up probably at the AT&T store at westpark & edloe. I've had great service every time I've been there and it's a pretty big store (it even has it's own antenna!)

NewtypeCJ
Jun 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
I would be waiting in Houston if I weren't gonna be off on a business trip that day. :'(

I guess the good thing is that it's a cell phone and not a game console where you'd have to compete with linegoers just there to flip the thing on eBay. I'm hoping I can order it through Apple's online store so I can get it delivered so it's waiting for me when I get back from mah' trip.

rayward
Jun 18, 2007, 11:54 AM
FWIW, I just spoke to my company's AT&T rep., and he's singing the same old song. Yes, they will have some on the 29th. No, they don't know how many, and won't until the day before most likely. No, they can't reserve one, it's first come, first served. No, they don't know anything about the plans. Actually, they don't know anything.

katie ta achoo
Jun 18, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think I'll go to the Apple store to play with one, as I do not have any money.

Just whether I want to go to Galleria, Memorial City, or First Colony.. :)

kalamus
Jun 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
I think I will be waiting outside as well. Probably going to start at around 8am. Hopefully their wont be 50 people there already. There is an Apple store right near my work so it shouldnt be too bad.

Who else will be camping out? What kind of shot do you think you will have at getting one in a reasonable amount of time if you ordered on Apple.com?

loudestnoise
Jun 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think I'll go to the Apple store to play with one, as I do not have any money.

Just whether I want to go to Galleria, Memorial City, or First Colony.. :)

Dang, I didn't even know there was a First Colony store. I'm only in Houston for the summer, so I guess I missed out on the opening. Why can't it be a freestanding store. Whyy. All these stores in Houston and surrounding areas are in malls!

katie ta achoo
Jun 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
I think I will be waiting outside as well. Probably going to start at around 8am. Hopefully their wont be 50 people there already. There is an Apple store right near my work so it shouldnt be too bad.

Who else will be camping out? What kind of shot do you think you will have at getting one in a reasonable amount of time if you ordered on Apple.com?

Why are you going at 8 am? They're released at 6 pm local time. :)

and loudestnoise-- there's The Woodlands and memorial city (I met you at those), then First Colony, and now out by NASA. Of course, the Galleria is there, too. :)

loudestnoise
Jun 18, 2007, 03:35 PM
Why are you going at 8 am? They're released at 6 pm local time. :)

and loudestnoise-- there's The Woodlands and memorial city (I met you at those), then First Colony, and now out by NASA. Of course, the Galleria is there, too. :)

Yes, there are many choices. I do plan on getting there pretty early if not camping out in my car overnight. Can't be too early. Ha

Xenious
Jun 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
Dang, I didn't even know there was a First Colony store. I'm only in Houston for the summer, so I guess I missed out on the opening. Why can't it be a freestanding store. Whyy. All these stores in Houston and surrounding areas are in malls!

I agree, I vote for a freestanding Apple store in the Katy area. :)

CoachKrzyzewski
Jun 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
rice village could use a freestanding store. footlocker just went out of business/closed up shop...

peterparker
Jun 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
Go to the Westpark AT&T store! It'll give me more to take pictures of :).

And I did hear something about another store in the Houston area from an employee at some store...

loudestnoise
Jun 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
Go to the Westpark AT&T store! It'll give me more to take pictures of :).

And I did hear something about another store in the Houston area from an employee at some store...

C'mon man, stick with Apple stores. Memorial City is where it's at.

peterparker
Jun 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
C'mon man, stick with Apple stores. Memorial City is where it's at.

Yeah, but I can walk to the AT&T store from my place :) We'll see, if I could be in 3 or 4 places at once that would be perfect.

ccreighton
Jun 21, 2007, 11:03 PM
So where is everyone going? It seems to me that everyone is chatting up at&t stores. I just can't imagine myself going to an at&t store and listening to them talk up something they know nothing about, even if they've had a class or two. Half those people are idiots anyway. :mad:

At least at the Apple store you'll know you'll get the best service. And they won't be upselling you on every little thing there is. Quick and efficient and to the point is the way I like it.

I'll be checking in on the Apple store at the Galleria. I know it may be packed but it's the closest one to me. I just want in, to pick up a couple of them and out. Anyone else showing up around there? There's a starbucks one floor down!!!:D

loudestnoise
Jun 21, 2007, 11:10 PM
So where is everyone going? It seems to me that everyone is chatting up at&t stores. I just can't imagine myself going to an at&t store and listening to them talk up something they know nothing about, even if they've had a class or two. Half those people are idiots anyway. :mad:

At least at the Apple store you'll know you'll get the best service. And they won't be upselling you on every little thing there is. Quick and efficient and to the point is the way I like it.

I'll be checking in on the Apple store at the Galleria. I know it may be packed but it's the closest one to me. I just want in, to pick up a couple of them and out. Anyone else showing up around there? There's a starbucks one floor down!!!:D

I am wanting to go to the Memorial City Mall Apple Store, but the Galleria store is tempting too. Only thing I can think of is it is probably gonna be a lot easier to get a line going at Memorial since the Galleria Apple store is on a second floor and traffic is usually pretty busy. I dont know though, it's a tough decision. I also like the Memorial store since the store is bigger.

katie ta achoo
Jun 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
loudestnoise-- they remodeled the Galleria store so it is a lot bigger, but it's still not the biggest, ya know? It's probably twice the size that it was. Maybe a little smaller than the memorial city.

loudestnoise
Jun 21, 2007, 11:38 PM
loudestnoise-- they remodeled the Galleria store so it is a lot bigger, but it's still not the biggest, ya know? It's probably twice the size that it was. Maybe a little smaller than the memorial city.

I know it, I went the other day. It is much longer than before. Not so much wider.

ccreighton
Jun 22, 2007, 06:01 AM
Haven't been there since they remodeled it. Is the Memorial City store the largest one in Houston area? Haven't been there yet.

Yankees 4 Life
Jun 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
Yea i'm going to the memorial city store. It's not as large as the Galleria store, but its pretty nice and hopefully they will take my money and give me my iphone. I :apple: working 3 miles from the apple store. BTW, i think buying from apple store is better cuz you are guaranteed to get their warranty.

Good luck guys, you will see me at memorial city store around 4p. (look for the black guy in business casual clothes and a shaw badge. I'm friendly and i love mac :)

dwhittington
Jun 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
I will be at the First Colony store, not to be anti-social or anything, but it seems the other stores are much more popular and I want to wait in a shorter line. :)

David
:apple:

jtkellertx
Jun 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
Me is going to Woodlands.

katie ta achoo
Jun 25, 2007, 03:55 PM
I work about 10 minutes from the Galleria not during rush hour but I have to leave work (hopefully) around 4pm if I can get someone to cover for me... Think I'll have any problem snagging a phone at the Galleria store?
I figure that I can take surface streets down to the Galleria, get there around 4:30 at the latest.
If worst comes to worst, do you think they'll still have them around 7:15 if I can't get outta work or should I high-tail it over to Apple Store Memorial City. I'm kinda at i-10 @ 610.. Hmmm...

Quark
Jun 25, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'll wait in line.

Quark

hstnprepboy
Jun 25, 2007, 04:41 PM
I don't get off of work until 4pm so I can't exactly camp out anywhere. I think I'll try the Galleria Apple store. It's a flagship store ... they see more traffic/sales than most of the other stores ... so I have a hunch that they'll get plenty of iPhones. Anyone else lining up there? Anyone want to save me a spot? :D

jinzo012
Jun 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm going to Sugarland's First Colony with a friend of mine. Hopefully getting there around noon to wait.

Cheers

loudestnoise
Jun 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
I'll wait in line.

Quark

ew, I live in Copperfield, but would never dare go to that store. Memorial City Apple Store for me.

Jawnbot
Jun 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
I went to the grand opening of First Colony, it seemed bigger than Memorial and Galleria. I love the people at memorial though, Jennifer R. is sure to make Friday a treat.

But if I go anywhere it will be First Colony because it is the newest, possibly the biggest, and definitely one of the most unpopular. The store is right next to an entrance too, so there was a place for the grand opening line to wind around outside.

loudestnoise
Jun 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
hmm, must go visit First Colony Store tomorrow.... Bigger is better.

pilotkev1
Jun 25, 2007, 10:17 PM
First Colony for me as well. Probably bringing along my PowerBook at around 9am.

voe
Jun 26, 2007, 12:09 AM
My Fiance and I are contemplating the 10 hour road trip to come out to Houston and pick up our iPhones at an Apple store there. Does anyone have suggestions on which will be the easiest Apple store to get to and how early we should arrive to get a good spot in line. We are really trying to avoid 10+ hours of driving, AND 12 hours of camping. Especially if there was still a chance we wouldn't get our phones. Tips? Advice?

loudestnoise
Jun 26, 2007, 12:18 AM
My Fiance and I are contemplating the 10 hour road trip to come out to Houston and pick up our iPhones at an Apple store there. Does anyone have suggestions on which will be the easiest Apple store to get to and how early we should arrive to get a good spot in line. We are really trying to avoid 10+ hours of driving, AND 12 hours of camping. Especially if there was still a chance we wouldn't get our phones. Tips? Advice?

Why the 10hour journey to H-town? And it depends which direction and when you will be in Houston to tell you which store to go to. It's really anyone's guess to which store will be the most crowded. I for one am deciding between Memorial City Mall and the First Colony Mall store.

hmp
Jun 26, 2007, 01:08 AM
I'm just curious as to why most everyone here seems to be going to the Apple stores? Although everything I've read is speculative, do you think that Apple will have the necessary equipment to activate the phones? Or will they have to call it in (which would mean it would take longer than with AT&T)?

I believe with all the AT&T stores in the city, it'd probably be safer to go with AT&T. But I could be wrong, and so I'm wondering if it's better to go to the Apple store instead? In other words, can someone give me some insight as to why they're choosing Apple Stores?

loudestnoise
Jun 26, 2007, 01:26 AM
For me it's all about the experience. I have nothing but fond memories of Apple Store openings and enjoy each visit I make to a store. Cingular/AT&T stores? Not so much. I think of things like waiting in line for stuff, being angry about the fact that I'm not eligible for an upgrade, or perhaps the worst, employees removing the thing film over my screens on my new phones. Yes, I actually like to keep that on, at least for a few days. I'm sure Apple has some way of activating the phones. As others have stated, it would be a great PR disaster if customers were forced to go to AT&T after purchasing iPhones. I'm hoping for activation via iTunes.

Yankees 4 Life
Jun 26, 2007, 07:37 AM
I will be at the First Colony store, not to be anti-social or anything, but it seems the other stores are much more popular and I want to wait in a shorter line. :)

David
:apple:

I'm jealous, i wish i could drive out to first colony... i bet it will have a waaaayy shorter line

I'll wait in line.

Quark

hey i live next to that copperfield store, thats awesome!

hmp
Jun 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
Looks like my concerns are no longer an issue - with iTunes activation, it shouldn't take any longer to go to an Apple store than an AT&T store...

The only problem is that now there may be some eBayers in the line since the phone doesn't have to be activated at the store...

I'm also wondering queuing strategy. How can you make a line in a mall that will have constant traffic? Or will there be some sort of informal line going on?

Yankees 4 Life
Jun 26, 2007, 02:44 PM
Looks like my concerns are no longer an issue - with iTunes activation, it shouldn't take any longer to go to an Apple store than an AT&T store...

The only problem is that now there may be some eBayers in the line since the phone doesn't have to be activated at the store...

I'm also wondering queuing strategy. How can you make a line in a mall that will have constant traffic? Or will there be some sort of informal line going on?

there will be security personnel at each mall with an Apple store. I was told this by a rep from the galleria and memorial city mall stores.... They will use the barriers that they use at clubs before you get in.

hstnprepboy
Jun 27, 2007, 09:21 AM
Check out today's front page Houston Chronicle coverage of the iPhone at http://www.chron.com/

http://www.newseum.org/media/dfp/jpg27/lg/TX_HC.jpg

katie ta achoo
Jun 27, 2007, 09:44 AM
And here's (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4923357.html) the actual story. :)

Ugh, I'm in the paper for apple-related stuff way too much...

Jawnbot
Jun 27, 2007, 11:27 AM
I have a friend who is willing to camp out for me since ive got work from 7-4 on Friday, he is thinking about camping out thursday night in front of First Colony and just holding a spot in line for me in exchange for some sushi.

I talked to an old friend of mine who works at First Colony and before worked at Memorial, and she confirmed that First Colony gets about 1/3 the traffic of memorial on average. She told me that a good time to start waiting would be 1 or 2 in the afternoon if you want a guaranteed decent spot. They are closing the store down from 2-6, then staying open until midnight. It is going to be amazing! I am bringing my macbook so I can activate my phone right there and then. JUST TWO DAYS!

hmp
Jun 27, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have a friend who is willing to camp out for me since ive got work from 7-4 on Friday, he is thinking about camping out thursday night in front of First Colony and just holding a spot in line for me in exchange for some sushi.

I was thinking of camping out thursday night as well; however, I'd be more likely to go if some people in this forum were thinking about doing it - that way, at least there'd be people to hang out with to pass the time.

Anyone else want to meet up at FC Thursday night/early early Friday morning?

ccreighton
Jun 27, 2007, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know if there is a limit on purchases of the Iphones? I.E. one per person. I hope not because I have to buy two.

Anyway, I'll be dropping by the Galleria store tomorrow night to see what is going on and see if a line is starting anywhere. (I hope not, since it's in the mall) Then will go in the morning and check it out. The mall opens around 10:00 or 11:00 and I'll drop by then to check it out. If there is no line I'll come back in an hour or two. I'll update you guys as I find out more information. That's my plan. If anyone is thinking the same thing drop a post and we'll meet at the Apple store around that time!!

pkpkast
Jun 27, 2007, 03:35 PM
ok so seriously though, location aside, what time is everyone planning on lining up? I'll go first and say 1PM as the earliest I'm planning on leaving work.

katie ta achoo
Jun 27, 2007, 03:36 PM
ok so seriously though, location aside, what time is everyone planning on lining up? I'll go first and say 1PM as the earliest I'm planning on leaving work.

I'm going to the Galleria some time around 4:20 or so. I have to leave work at 4, otherwise I'd be there at noon! :mad: :)

julric01
Jun 27, 2007, 03:38 PM

I'm actually taking a day off that day - so I may scoot around some of the stores (Galleria and Memorial) around 10:00.

I'm still at a loss trying to decide if I should go to Apple or AT&T? The only thing that concerns me about the AT&T stores is stock. I can see them running out quick - I think the apple stores will have the lion's share of the inventory.

I'm sure I could find an AT&T store with little or no line - but I also like the apple experience better too!

Reading this board, it sure seems like most are going to Apple.

hstnprepboy
Jun 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'm going to the Galleria some time around 4:20 or so. I have to leave work at 4, otherwise I'd be there at noon! :mad: :)

I'll be there around the same time. Here's some more info about Friday (most of these are rumors for now):

- A couple Apple employees are having a sleepover at every store on Thursday night: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/apple_retail_stores_to_host_nationwide_employee_sleepover.html

- iPhone box/packaging: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/iphone_retail_packaging_revealed_in_video_review_images.html

- Sales limited to one iPhone per person: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/att_iphone_sales_limited_to_one_per_person.html

- Wristbands, 50 at a time, 500 iPhones per store: http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

I also heard Apple stores will be open until midnight on Friday night.

Jawnbot
Jun 27, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'll be there around the same time. Here's some more info about Friday (most of these are rumors for now):

- A couple Apple employees are having a sleepover at every store on Thursday night: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/apple_retail_stores_to_host_nationwide_employee_sleepover.html

- iPhone box/packaging: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/iphone_retail_packaging_revealed_in_video_review_images.html

- Sales limited to one iPhone per person: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/att_iphone_sales_limited_to_one_per_person.html

- Wristbands, 50 at a time, 500 iPhones per store: http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365

I also heard Apple stores will be open until midnight on Friday night.

I read a sign up in my local store confirming the store hours being open until midnight. The wristband thing concerns me, guess this means someone besides me cant be in line for me?

Anyone else have any more details on the wristband policy? I might have to leave work damn early on friday, damn you corporate america!

ccreighton
Jun 27, 2007, 05:37 PM
Probably start lining up around noon. As long as there isn't that big of a line early on. We'll be checking the Galleria store every hour on the hour to see what's going on since it's the closest to us.

pkpkast
Jun 27, 2007, 05:45 PM
I'll be bringing my macbook to the store so I will post what the line looks like when I get there around 1PM at the Galleria.

hstnprepboy
Jun 27, 2007, 06:34 PM
I'll be bringing my macbook to the store so I will post what the line looks like when I get there around 1PM at the Galleria.

Awesome! I'll be watching the forums from work until I can leave (around 4pm).

Well my numbers seem to be on target - 500 iPhones for regular Apple stores, 1000+ for flagship, and 100 per AT&T store, for a launch total of 300,000 units. Plus any online shipments.

If this is true, the Galleria Apple store (a flagship store per my friend who works there) will receive 1000+ iPhones.

hmp
Jun 27, 2007, 11:14 PM
I plan on dropping by the First Colony store periodically, starting thursday night. I want to camp out, but not if I'm going to be there by myself...so I guess I'll just wait until I see people start the line.

jtkellertx
Jun 27, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'll be at the Woodlands at 2 AM on Friday morning. Give me a txt at 832 620 5575 if you'll be there.

pilotkev1
Jun 28, 2007, 01:49 AM
I'll be bringing along my PowerBook, and Camera with wide angle lens to post shots of the line at Sugarland between noon, and 6.

hmp
Jun 28, 2007, 02:21 AM
pilotkev - so you'll be getting there at noon? Do you know anyone else that's coming up, and if so, at what time?

Looks like I'm planning to go way too early...

pilotkev1
Jun 28, 2007, 02:45 AM
Well, a couple of friends of mine are planning to meet up at the same time. One however I think is having trouble with time so I don't think he will make launch day, but my other friend should make it for sure, again at noon. Most people I've talked to (about a dozen) are planning on going in the early afternoon, around 2PM.

I'll be wearing my Apple Polo shirt :D :apple:

loudestnoise
Jun 28, 2007, 03:13 AM
I'm gonna stop by Memorial Thursday night and see what the line looks like. My brother and I will probably be camping in the parking lot somewhere.

hmp
Jun 28, 2007, 03:28 AM
Anybody know if we can bring fold up chairs/lawn chairs to a mall? Or is that a no-no?

julric01
Jun 28, 2007, 08:40 AM
Just wondering if these malls are really going to let folks stand inside or make them line up outside.

If you think about it - if they even get 50 folks standing in line that's going to start disrupting the other stores around them. I would hate to have to stand in the heat all day though.

julric01
Jun 28, 2007, 08:43 AM
One other thing that I just can't decide here in Houston,

We have a lot of AT&T stores and in some ways it's probably smart to go to one of them - my only fear is stock. There's even a few downtown that are really small - one said it will re-open at 6 and close at 8, instead of 10. That tells me limited stock. I could even see some of them only getting 1/2 dozen if that and then taking orders.

Seems to me like since I have the day - the Apple stores are the way to go to ensure a better supply. Does that make sense?

Yankees 4 Life
Jun 28, 2007, 10:25 AM
One other thing that I just can't decide here in Houston,

We have a lot of AT&T stores and in some ways it's probably smart to go to one of them - my only fear is stock. There's even a few downtown that are really small - one said it will re-open at 6 and close at 8, instead of 10. That tells me limited stock. I could even see some of them only getting 1/2 dozen if that and then taking orders.

Seems to me like since I have the day - the Apple stores are the way to go to ensure a better supply. Does that make sense?

Hey makes perfect sense to me! Check the att store first though, since they are much less crowded...

julric01
Jun 28, 2007, 03:14 PM
Any of you Houston folks hearing anything about #'s of iPhones yet?

There seems to be some stuff popping up on line of stores getting shipments and some AT&T stores telling folks how many they've received.

Some guy, that claims to be from Fort Worth says his local store told him they're only getting about 20 to 30 and planning on doing orders for anyone else, that's why they are staying open late.

Sounds really low to me, but maybe it's a low volume store.

Thoughts???

hmp
Jun 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
Just spoke to someone at the Apple store in First Colony. Don't bother going tonight, because mall security will not let you stand around outside overnight. The best bet is to get there when the mall opens for the "mall walkers". I'll be heading over there then...

Yankees 4 Life
Jun 28, 2007, 04:04 PM
hey people going to memorial city mall, the entrance to wait is the north entrance near macy's. I'll be there at 630.....am. i'll be the the 6'1 black guy. trust me, i'll be easy to spot.

jtkellertx
Jun 28, 2007, 05:19 PM
It seems that the Woodlands is not letting people camp out.

hmp
Jun 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
It seems that the Woodlands is not letting people camp out.

Not camp out at all? Or not camp out in front of the apple store shortly before the stores open in the morning but after the mall is open for walkers?

loudestnoise
Jun 28, 2007, 06:41 PM
Anyone call the Memorial City Mall to see what security's stance on "camping" (sitting in your car) overnight? I'm gonna try it and if I get kicked out I'll just go somewhere outside of the "mall" to where the grumpy guards can't tell me what to do.

jtkellertx
Jun 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
Not camp out at all? Or not camp out in front of the apple store shortly before the stores open in the morning but after the mall is open for walkers?
At all. I"m going ou there and checking it out any ways.

katie ta achoo
Jun 28, 2007, 08:35 PM
All the Galleria people: we should totally take a group MacRumors pic. It'll be cute. :)

ccreighton
Jun 28, 2007, 09:56 PM
Galleria-ist's... when will we take a group photo? I'm going to be checking the mall out in the morning and then randomly throughout the day to see if the line is starting.

I'll be there waiting. I say we all meet up there around 11-12 and start camping. Unless of course it starts before then.

I'll see you there...

Jawnbot
Jun 28, 2007, 10:03 PM
Today I stopped by the Galleria and First Colony stores to get some info on camping. A guy I talked to at Galleria (seemed like the floor leader since he had the daily download clipboard) told me that camping out would not be allowed, and he also said he had no clue as to what the supply of iPhones where. If MacRumors is accurate, they should be getting well over 1500 because Galleria is the top selling Apple store in the state of Texas.

When I went to First Colony I saw a guy waiting there, dropped him a quick "you are amazing" and proceeded to the store. I talked to the floor leader there and he told me that Apple has no control of what happens in the line, he said this in response to my questions about the possibility of numbered tags or wristbands as well as camping out. It is all up to mall security.

When I went to the opening of First Colony (number 3 in the door, w00t!) the mall security where being really strict with us and told us that we where not allowed to take pictures, so everyone just walked around with their Macbooks and Macbook Pros unleashing some awesome Photo Booth action and making the security look like idiots.

Some other interesting info - between 2 and 6 (when the store closes down for the launch) a huge curtain will be put over the store to prevent anyone from getting a peek.

Everything else he told me was already known ie. first come first serve, 50 at a time, open till midnight, launch at 6pm blah blah blah.

I am going to sneak out of work hopefully around noon tomorrow, I will be wearing my old black Apple tee w/ grey badge that I had from previously working there, maybe a piece of paper that says <3 macrumors or something :cool:

Hope to see everyone there! Cant wait!

loudestnoise
Jun 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
...and told us that we where not allowed to take pictures...

I've never understood why malls and retail stores don't allow cameras. What is so wrong with taking pictures? Do they not want us to promote the stores within their establishment. I for one, am gonna try and bring my video camera (not even a small one either) and hopefully they will not be dumb and tell me to put it away. This is an epic event. How many more times in my life can I go to an iPhone grand premiere. The answer is never. Never again.

katie ta achoo
Jun 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
Galleria-ist's... when will we take a group photo? I'm going to be checking the mall out in the morning and then randomly throughout the day to see if the line is starting.

I'll be there waiting. I say we all meet up there around 11-12 and start camping. Unless of course it starts before then.

I'll see you there...

Hmmm.. I dunno. I could try to organize it if y'all want. Depending on where everyone is in line, we could do it after the release, all of us holding our phones? 6:45 or 7ish?

Uhm.. if you really want me to organize this completely, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe anyone who wants to be involved meet outside the Apple store (or... in front of the Bath and Body Works or something, so we don't butt up against the line for the Phone) and try to organize it from there. :)

Jawnbot
Jun 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
Trust me, everyone in that line tried to fight for it but the security told us it was just "mall procedure" despite how little sense it makes. She then told us that if we had a problem with it, we could leave. I am bringing my camera tomorrow anyways to try and sneak some pictures in, its pretty small and I can be pretty slick ;)

Some good news though: once we are in the store we can take all the pictures we want. I got about 80 pictures from the First Colony grand opening, I just held down my shutter button and kept giving high fives haha

hmp
Jun 28, 2007, 11:41 PM
I just stopped by First Colony mall on my way home...there were already about 10 people in line! They said they spoke to Mall Security and received some sort of authorization. Also, the Sugar Land police walked by and gave them no trouble whatsoever. I'm heading over there right now...10 people and it's only 11:45 p.m....wow...

katie ta achoo
Jun 29, 2007, 01:24 AM
I just stopped by First Colony mall on my way home...there were already about 10 people in line! ....

Any updates on the galleria?

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to give everyone an update - there were actually only six people in line when I stopped by. I went home, picked up some things, and came over and have been there ever since. There are now eight people in line...we're sitting in the mall right next to the store and it's comfortable...

drcoxlvr
Jun 29, 2007, 08:29 AM
Just joined this group to follow this thread. Hello! I'll be at the galleria in a about an hour. Gotta be at work another half hour to make it a half day. See you all there!

julric01
Jun 29, 2007, 08:35 AM
I'm in line at the Galleria - #17 - so far it's not too bad - I can get on line from the store.

At first the Security guard said you couldn't sit - too bad man, I'm sitting. Now they seem to have relaxed a bit.

I went to Memorial city and there were about 25 folks in line and it looked like it was going to get crammed the way they had the ropes up - plus you are away from the store by the entrance to the mall - just inside, so no wireless.

that's all for now.

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
Just an update for First Colony - 14 people in line...

katie ta achoo
Jun 29, 2007, 10:28 AM
I have a friend who is in line at the Galleria. He's #37.

He said they are taking names, so no place-holding. Since they have names, he can go to the rest room, grab food, etc.

*getting nervous*

julric01
Jun 29, 2007, 10:52 AM

He said they are taking names, so no place-holding. Since they have names, he can go to the rest room, grab food, etc.

*getting nervous*

Yeah, it's kind of funny - I got here and started the list, just meaning to get the first 20 or so just so there was no swapping or a bunch adding at the last minute. The security guard apparently liked it and now has my pad of paper and is keeping the list. I think he'll be over run by about 4 pm.

they've been good so far - the apple folks have been coming around with water and coffee! They also said even if the line went way down the mall, there should be enough to go around. I just like knowing that I'm safe :)

Jawnbot
Jun 29, 2007, 11:08 AM
There are about 50 people at First Colony right now, im posting from the store since I am on lunch for work. Ive got too much to do today to skip out, so hopefully the line doesnt get too long until 2ish when I plan on running out anyways.

If you are one of the people in line right now, I commend you!

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 11:33 AM
A Houston Chronicle reporter just came by First Colony - asked some people a few questions. She did a count, and said there were 22...not sure about the 50 people unless they're all in hiding?

Oh...and we haven't gotten any water or coffee! I keep on seeing the Apple employees walk in with food/party trays...but nothing for us :(

drcoxlvr
Jun 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm #26 in line at the Galleria. Looks like #27 skipped out, so everyone after me can probably consider themselves moved up a notch. I have a friend on her way to wait with me. She's not buying a phone, so I hope nobody gives her a hard time for getting in line with me.

peterparker
Jun 29, 2007, 12:16 PM

*getting nervous*

Yep, already took advantage of one break.

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 01:01 PM
There are about 30 people in line right now at First Colony....unfortunately some people are having to sit outside because there's not enough space..

jtkellertx
Jun 29, 2007, 01:37 PM
I'm at the Woodlands where I am 15th in line. We're camping in front of the former Gap which they're remodeling. There are about 30-40 people in line at this moment.

Jawnbot
Jun 29, 2007, 02:01 PM
I am one of the people outside at First Colony, the weather is fine and its very comfortable with lawn chairs and free wifi. I got here at about 1 30 and there are only about 30 people in front of me. That 50ish guess I had before was just from running in and running out, sorry if I messed anyone up with that.

The store is closing now, now the final countdown begins!

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
From the discussions that me and the others towards the front part of the line have had with the Apple employees, anyone that's in line right now will get one for sure. So just hang in there jawnbot :)

It was funny because some people are here trying to find creative ways to cut in line. After asking about the iPhone, a lady asked if the Apple Store has iPods, and if she could go in at 6 to look instead of waiting in line..maybe she was pretending to go in for the iPod and then try to get an iPhone without waiting? Just speculation at this point..

Also, about thirty minutes ago the Apple employees handed out water. A nice gesture.

Flynntoo
Jun 29, 2007, 02:28 PM
brand new member,long time reader.going to galleria soon with brand new mbp and itunes updated

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
If one more person ridicules me for waiting in line, I'm going to punch them.

"YOU'RE WAITING IN LINE FOR A PHONE?!" "FOR THE IPHONE?!" "WHY?!"

Jawnbot
Jun 29, 2007, 03:35 PM
lolololol @ ridicule for phone

I was talking to a guy next to me who is getting phones for his company and he and a group of people are all over houston: galleria, memorial, woodlands, lots of AT&T stores, and he has some interesting info.

He told me that he has word from memorial that they have about 400 phones, seeing as how First Colony is not very behind in terms of store performance, I think we can expect a close amount to that. Not 1500 like MacRumors mentioned.

He also told me that around lunch Galleria had about 100 people. Seems like First Colony is the place to be if you are not in line already, especially since how wonderful the weather is today!

The line is getting close to the sidewalk, id say about 50 (I mean it this time :p )

Even if everyone in line right now gets two phones, that still only equates to about 100 units sold AT MOST. This is assuming that EVERY person buys two even my little brother who decided to tag along for the experience haha

T-minus 2.5 hours!

obcsed
Jun 29, 2007, 03:50 PM
Baybrook Mall at T-minis 2 hours. About 75 in line. We are nowhere close to being outside. Nice and cool and dry.

Xenious
Jun 29, 2007, 04:03 PM
So what are the queue lengths now? I don't have time to line up, but was thinking of dropping down to first colony a little later.

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
It's still about 50, maybe 55 now @ First Colony. It's not too hot outside from what I can tell, and there's not that much time left anyway. If you're close to the First Colony area, I'd recommend coming here.

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
I should also mention that about an hour and a half ago a guy that was shopping at the mall told us that his wife works at the Cingular store in Town Center (a one minute drive from here). He said that they were getting ALOT of phones, and the line was half as long or less there. So you might want to also consider stopping by there first before heading here.

I also just looked outside again and in the last few minutes more people have come. I would estimate about 65-70.

Jawnbot
Jun 29, 2007, 04:27 PM
I should also mention that about an hour and a half ago a guy that was shopping at the mall told us that his wife works at the Cingular store in Town Center (a one minute drive from here). He said that they were getting ALOT of phones, and the line was half as long or less there. So you might want to also consider stopping by there first before heading here.

I also just looked outside again and in the last few minutes more people have come. I would estimate about 65-70.

I think the same guy must of came out here and mentioned that, I heard the same info. If you are not in a line and plan on dropping by a store after 6 tonight, I think the AT&T store in Rosenburg, the store in Town Square in Sugar Land (hwy 59 and hwy 6) would be good bets. They have very small lines if any, so I think that would be the best bet. Lines still seem to be about the same length, 75-85 people.

Xenious
Jun 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
They have very small lines if any, so I think that would be the best bet. Lines still seem to be about the same length, 75-85 people.

Doubt I will get a chance to be down there before 6. In fact since I'm up in Katy I may just snag one online and drool over the blog posts while I wait for delivery.

lkwan
Jun 29, 2007, 04:42 PM
jawnbot... do u see me I'm in sitting in a chair by the door...

Flynntoo
Jun 29, 2007, 04:42 PM
anyone update galleria line

Jawnbot
Jun 29, 2007, 04:57 PM
I was in a lawn chair with my little brother (hes in a cast), but now im sitting on the ground next to the first big beam thing, ive got a Boston hat on and im the only person here without shoes o.O

I think you are like 10ft away from me ikwan, are you the guy rocking the apple shirt?

hmp
Jun 29, 2007, 08:13 PM
Just wanted to know if all the First Colony and other Houston people on the forum ended up getting iPhones? If so, 4 GB or 8 GB?

jtkellertx
Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 PM
I got my 8 gig. There were only like 85 people in line at 6PM.

Jawnbot
Jun 29, 2007, 10:23 PM
Hell yes I got an iPhone! 8GB of course :cool:

I got word from First Colony about 20min ago that they still have iPhones. I thought I would put that out there for other people to know if they still want one

lkwan
Jul 2, 2007, 08:11 PM
That's me... I had the old school Pentiums are as slow as snails!!!

i still wish macsurfshop.com was still in business. All of my tshirts used to come from them!

I also had heelys on... And rolling around the whole place!

So how are you enjoying your iphone? I finally was able Activate my iphon contract free!!!

It's took literally 8 hrs on the phone.. And I had to burn like 5 Sims, but I got it done and learned a lot from it.

loudestnoise
Jul 2, 2007, 10:00 PM
Here's a video that I call "My iDay Experience" If you were at Memorial City Mall you may even be in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532atLjH9Wo

Wagnel
Jul 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
The Galleria got six 8gb iPhones today and I just picked up the last one! Got my number transferred from t-mobile in about 5 minutes and just finishing up the first sync right now. Hooray! :D