PDA

View Full Version : Good Deals on RAM Upgrades?

SteveC
Jul 7, 2003, 02:01 PM
Hi guys. :cool: I wasn't sure if I should post this question in "Mac Help/Questions and Tips," or if I should post it here in Hardware, since it's a Hardware question specifically, so I chose here... hopefully I got the right forum. ;)

So my question is...

I may be purchasing a new eMac in the near future, and I'd like to upgrade the RAM in it to 1 GB, or at least 756 MB. MacConnection's prices on RAM are around $90 for a 512 MB stick, and I believe the Apple Store prices are even higher than that. I was wondering if someone can suggest a good place to buy RAM for a much cheaper price. A friend told me that 512 MB of RAM can be bought for under $50 online, and sometimes even lower than that. Do any of you know of a good place, and/or do you have somewhere you've purchased RAM from for a good price, and can you share your experience/satisfaction?

Does cheaper RAM not work as good as more expensive RAM or what's the deal?

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

Steve

Abstract
Jul 7, 2003, 02:10 PM
I have asked a similar question before regarding the difference in the type of Ram you buy (ie: expensive vs. cheap), and have been told that paying a bit more for Ram will decrease instability and crashing. $90 for 512MB is better than paying $50. I'd stick with that. Crucial sells good Ram. Lots of people recommend Crucial, but they're a bit more expensive than $90. Never buy Ram from Apple.

unc32
Jul 7, 2003, 02:20 PM
Never had a problem with www.18004memory.com

SteveC
Jul 7, 2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys :)

Abstract, in regards to better RAM not crashing, is that still an issue when running OS X, because it's never crashed in the 1 1/2 years I've been using it? Does it hurt the computer to use cheaper RAM?

KentuckyApple
Jul 7, 2003, 02:40 PM
I have bought from oempcworld.com for at least two years without a single problem. They have good prices, lifetime warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee.

Abstract
Jul 7, 2003, 02:43 PM
You can say the same thing about CD burners --- cheaper burners will screw up more disks.
You don't need to get the best RAM, but don't get the worst RAM. It'll crash more often whether you're using OSX or not. Its a hardware issue. :) It doesn't "hurt" the computer if you use cheaper RAM (ie: it won't damage it), but more expensive RAM is less "glitchy" than cheaper RAM. I don't know if "glitchy" is such a great word to describe what I want to say, but I can't find a better word for it now. Personally, I don't see the big deal, but I wouldn't get crappy RAM. Get it from the link above. That's where many people go for RAM.

SteveC
Jul 7, 2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys :)

OEMPCWORLD (the link above) has a 512 MB stick for $69.85 (http://www.oempcworld.com/item.html?PRID=983145) and a "high density" 512 MB RAM stick for $49.85 (http://www.oempcworld.com/item.html?PRID=1034122). Why is high density cheaper? I guess I should ask what high density is actually?

stoid
Jul 7, 2003, 02:57 PM
Check out these sites

www.dealram.com

www.ramjet.com

and also as unc suggested:

www.18004memory.com

gopher
Jul 7, 2003, 03:19 PM
http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html#RAM

Compare prices, and pick your favorite.

SteveC
Jul 7, 2003, 03:45 PM
You have all been a great help. :) Thanks a lot. To recap then, my question is, how cheap is "too" cheap if I want a good price, but good RAM as well? Is it reasonable to expect to get good RAM for $50 - like the one from OEM for example?

gopher
Jul 7, 2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by SteveC
You have all been a great help. :) Thanks a lot. To recap then, my question is, how cheap is "too" cheap if I want a good price, but good RAM as well? Is it reasonable to expect to get good RAM for $50 - like the one from OEM for example?

Too cheap is if it doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. Again, these places all have a good reputation:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html#RAM

I would not get OEM memory.

GroundLoop
Jul 7, 2003, 05:22 PM
Remember, if you want to get the most performance out of your RAM, you should get a brand name stick with a CAS level of at least 2.5 (2 would be even better). I have used Corsair and Mushkin RAM in the past and have never had any problems with them.

You can get a 512MB stick of CL 2.5 Corsair memory at newegg.com for $68.

Hickman

SteveC
Jul 7, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
Remember, if you want to get the most performance out of your RAM, you should get a brand name stick with a CAS level of at least 2.5 (2 would be even better). I have used Corsair and Mushkin RAM in the past and have never had any problems with them.

You can get a 512MB stick of CL 2.5 Corsair memory at newegg.com for $68.

Hickman

Thanks Brian! Thanks everybody... :)

What is the CAS level? What does it represent/measure?