Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, the applications are just basically websites that look like applications? If someone claims to have an awesome all-in-one instant messaging program, they can just simply record our log-in and password, and use it with mal-intentions. It's definitely secure for the iPhone so that it doesn't compromise the system, but I still don't see how it's secure for the user? That means any joe-shmoe can write an "app" for it. And its not like you're downloading it to your phone, but you're actually logging onto them.

Can someone please clarify my ignorance if any.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Yes, but as there won't be so many apps, developers will be called out quickly and loudly by the community I'm sure...

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
This is only like the 50th thread on this topic!

Search!
or for that matter read the post WWDC thread!

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Hhmm.. i've done enough searching this month I think I'll just cause clutter:)

I think people crave for threads to open in the iPhone section because most of us are just too freakin antsy about this device that we go on it and read whatever we can to fill a void.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Hhmm.. i've done enough searching this month I think I'll just cause clutter:)

I think people crave for threads to open in the iPhone section because most of us are just too freakin antsy about this device that we go on it and read whatever we can to fill a void.

very true...

I think it's actually pretty funny to watch people post the same old questions and have someone else jump on them with the "SEARCH THE FORUMS NEWB!" comments. Some people can be pretty harsh when you can remain anonymous.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
hopefully a trustworthy site such as meebo will develop an iphone app for their service, assuming the regular site doesn't already work.

Retired
May 16, 2006
They'll be called out only after they've stolen plenty of passwords.

There aren't many apps that will require passwords anyway (messaging, maybe a Facebook RSS thing etc.)...and after a short while, I guess the companies will release official iPhone versions of their apps.

How much harm could someone really do with a bunch of AIM passwords?

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
There aren't many apps that will require passwords anyway (messaging, maybe a Facebook RSS thing etc.)...and after a short while, I guess the companies will release official iPhone versions of their apps.

Honestly, a lot. There are people out there that like to stick to one password. Even the most secure thing they need a password for, such as their BestBuy or Capital One card, they'll even use for the dumbest things like MySpace and AIM. All they need to do is find out where they're coming from, find out what websites they're affiliated with, and just simply "try" the password they get.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina

Well, you log in the account...Send out spoof links to all of their buddy list. Or send files to people on the buddy list. People would be more likely to click the links or install something if they think it's from a friend.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
PIf someone claims to have an awesome all-in-one instant messaging program, they can just simply record our log-in and password, and use it with mal-intentions. It's definitely secure for the iPhone so that it doesn't compromise the system, but I still don't see how it's secure for the user?

In this respect, there is zero difference between web apps for iPhone and web apps available today. Also there is zero difference between web apps for iPhone and "real" desktop apps.

Any Joe Schmoe can write a multi-protocol IM client for Mac that steals your passwords. How do you know that Adium isn't doing it? How do you know that Yahoo isn't stealing your passwords when you log in to your Yahoo mail?

Credibility of iPhone web apps is no different than the credibility of any other app or website you submit your info to. Make sure it's a trustworthy company, yada yada. We all learned this in 1996.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
In this respect, there is zero difference between web apps for iPhone and web apps available today. Also there is zero difference between web apps for iPhone and "real" desktop apps.

Any Joe Schmoe can write a multi-protocol IM client for Mac that steals your passwords. How do you know that Adium isn't doing it? How do you know that Yahoo isn't stealing your passwords when you log in to your Yahoo mail?

Credibility of iPhone web apps is no different than the credibility of any other app or website you submit your info to. Make sure it's a trustworthy company, yada yada. We all learned this in 1996.

Adium is open source. If I really wanted to make sure, I could check the source myself and make sure there's nothing fishy in there and then build my own binary from said source.

And how does Yahoo matter? They can steal my password if they want, they already would have full access to my account there.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Adium is open source. If I really wanted to make sure, I could check the source myself and make sure there's nothing fishy in there and then build my own binary from said source.
'

What about IM clients that are not open source? :rolleyes:

Neven was dead on with his post!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
'

What about IM clients that are not open source? :rolleyes:

Neven was dead on with his post!

You either have to be trustworthy or you don't use it.

I choose to be the former. I don't have time to go through Adium's source line-by-line. I'm sure someone else has already done the gruntwork and would've said something if it was in fact stealing passwords.

As far as closed source goes, you have to be a bit more trustworthy. I trust something like Trillian or iChat more than I'd trust something that pops up out of the blue overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.