PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Chicago, IL

stefanot
Jun 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
Was wondering how many of you were going to the downtown Chicago Apple store to pick up the iPhone and around what time. I'm getting off of work at about 5 and was going to walk down there afterwards and was trying to gauge how long the line would be.

McCarron
Jun 18, 2007, 03:23 PM
Was wondering how many of you were going to the downtown Chicago Apple store to pick up the iPhone and around what time. I'm getting off of work at about 5 and was going to walk down there afterwards and was trying to gauge how long the line would be.

I'll be hitting up the Schaumburg Woodfield store.

aricher
Jun 18, 2007, 03:53 PM
I live 2 miles from the Mich Ave. store and work 3/4 mile from the Woodfield store. I think I'll leave work early and go get in line at Woodfield. McCarron - you'll probably see me there - I'll be the guy with a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket. :)

StrayRooster
Jun 18, 2007, 03:55 PM
I, too, will be at the Woodfield store. Planning on getting there in the morning sometime.

Aricher, what time are you getting there?

runplaysleeprun
Jun 18, 2007, 04:08 PM
I probably will be at the Woodfield store as well, but I might go to the Michigan ave store depending where I end up in the city on the fatefull day. I'll be the skinny irish guy.

aricher
Jun 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
I'll see how the line looks around lunchtime - probably just go there or the local AT&T store on Golf Road when I leave work early at 4 pm.

johnny6ass
Jun 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
probably going to check out Michigan Ave store in the morning and line up if necessary... hopefully won't have to until later in the day.

FF_productions
Jun 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
Well being that I'm not going to buy an iPhone, I'd still like to check it out at the Woodfield Mall. There is going to be a crazy crowd when that day comes.

piecewise
Jun 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
People in Chicagoland.. What is your attack plan for the iPhone next friday? Schaumburg? Downtown? Any big AT&T stores in Lincoln Park or Wicker Park? Let's start plotting! Who's camping out? When are people showing up if you're not camping out?

abgould
Jun 20, 2007, 12:08 PM
I live in the city and have two AT&T stores within one mile of me - but everytime I go to one, they seem somewhat clueless. I am thinking of driving to the Oak Brook Apple store location, where I have had excellent service in the past. Since I am off that day - I am thinking about going out in the morning and monitoring the line before queueing up.

toomuchrock
Jun 25, 2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not working right now so I can get to the downtown store anytime. I'm wondering when is the right time? You think 3pm as folks are talking about is fine or should I show up at Noon? I can't imagine that I want to be there any earlier than that unless they have jugglers there for me. Honestly it's not even my godphone (no wireless sync, no acting as a bluetooth modem for my MBP), but I figure it can replace my palm and my iPod and then we'll see about the phone stuff later -- I'm not cancelling my other phone.

McCarron
Jun 25, 2007, 11:20 AM
So what is everyone's plan of attack for hitting up the Schaumburg/Woodfield area stores?

I know that StrayRooster is going early to Woodfield, I'm probably taking a half day on Friday depending on how my work project is going. Also depending on what he tells me it's like there.

aricher
Jun 25, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm going to leave work at 4 PM and head to the Schaumburg store (3/4 mile away). I thought about going to the downtown flagship store but the thought of standing in an already long line there combined with the tourists and Taste of Chicago crowd just doesn't sound pleasant to me.

McCarron
Jun 25, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm going to leave work at 4 PM and head to the Schaumburg store (3/4 mile away). I thought about going to the downtown flagship store but the thought of standing in an already long line there combined with the tourists and Taste of Chicago crowd just doesn't sound pleasant to me.

I work about 3 miles away in Hoffman Estates, and may be heading over at the same time.

I can report here via StrayRooster how the line is looking at Woodfield. He plans on getting there early as they'll let him get in line. If it's getting longer around 2pm I may head over a bit early.

aricher
Jun 25, 2007, 12:45 PM
Everyone here knows the MacRumors secret signal and handshake, right?

dlpmaster
Jun 25, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I'm actually taking the day off on Friday.
I was thinking of going by Noon or something like that.
I made a few phone calls to the Old orchard/Woodfield mall, and they told me this:
First that they will not allow anyone to start making lines prior to the date.
Store security will not allow this to happen. They might carry from 100-200 phones (if what the guy told me is correct). Another thing he wasn't sure was about existing Cingular/AT&T users who are already on 1/2 year(s) plans, if they will allow us to purchase the phone and exctending the (already owned) contract to 2 years from June29th.

Now this might seem like just guesses but that's what I got.

Now, I do plan on getting this.. Anyone out there have any plans on how this will run? I was thinking of camping at my Cingular store (on Chicago ave and Church [I Think?]) but I think i would be more secure for me to get it at the Apple store than it would be at a Cingular store.
Hopefully we don't get disappointed by not getting enough for the big crowds.

Any thoughts?

Acehigh
Jun 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not working right now so I can get to the downtown store anytime. I'm wondering when is the right time? You think 3pm as folks are talking about is fine or should I show up at Noon? I can't imagine that I want to be there any earlier than that unless they have jugglers there for me. Honestly it's not even my godphone (no wireless sync, no acting as a bluetooth modem for my MBP), but I figure it can replace my palm and my iPod and then we'll see about the phone stuff later -- I'm not cancelling my other phone.

Replace your PALM? Really? I guess you do not use any third party software.. somebody needs to make a Palm emulator for the Iphone. I will even pay for that software.

ChrisSamsa
Jun 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
Anyone going to Oakbrook? Seems like everyone's going to Woodfield.. I've never been to that store, but I expected to see more people heading up to the Oakbrook store.. maybe I'm in luck.. I was planning on being lazy and not waiting in line and ordering mine online, but maybe i'll head up to Oakbrook seeing as nobody on these forums seems to be heading there, so I'll take this as a microcosm of the apple-buying community and maybe go up there to check it out.. :)

abgould
Jun 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
Anyone going to Oakbrook? Seems like everyone's going to Woodfield.. I've never been to that store, but I expected to see more people heading up to the Oakbrook store.. maybe I'm in luck.. I was planning on being lazy and not waiting in line and ordering mine online, but maybe i'll head up to Oakbrook seeing as nobody on these forums seems to be heading there, so I'll take this as a microcosm of the apple-buying community and maybe go up there to check it out.. :)

I am planning on going to Oak Brook - intend to be there first thing Friday morning.

McCarron
Jun 25, 2007, 05:02 PM
Oakbrook does have a lower sales tax, 7% vs 8.25% that Woodfield has. I know this because a Woodfield Store Apple Store rep told my friend to go there to save a bit on sales tax.

It's too far for me though to make it there at a good hour after I leave work.

ipodmylife224
Jun 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
I will be going to the Northbrook store. Do you think it will be extremely crowded at even the Northbrook store?

lu0s3r322
Jun 25, 2007, 06:19 PM
finally someone who's going to the northbrook store! im going but just to demo it if my parents are willing to drive me.

shouldnt be too crowded i think. although the store is the closest to all the north east illinois residents, but i think some will choose to drive to milwaukee? i dont really know

mac jones
Jun 25, 2007, 06:49 PM
i'm in Chicagoland myself.

I've got a feeling that it might be ok getting one as there are so many Apple stores (and I guess ATT stores) around

I think there's 5 or 6 Apple stores. Two of them pretty close together (Woodfield and Oak Park)

nickspohn
Jun 25, 2007, 06:59 PM
either the local AT&T store or woodfield.

at least at woodfield if we go with someone, we can walk around rather than just go to a AT&T and wait outside.

bacsig
Jun 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
either the local AT&T store or woodfield.

at least at woodfield if we go with someone, we can walk around rather than just go to a AT&T and wait outside.

Does anyone know which are the corporate At&t stores and which are franchises? I tried their website but it didn't distinguish between the two. I was hoping there would be less of a line in their stores than the Apple Store. I live equidistant from Woodfield and Old Orchard Apple stores. Which one is likely to be less busy. Standing in line for hours is not an option.:o

mac jones
Jun 25, 2007, 09:41 PM
yeah and the Northbrook and Skokie stores are close together also.

It might be a good idea if you really have to have one on Friday or Sat. to call after 5:30pm and find out what the deal is and then go to the least busy store.

I mean it's possible that one store could have a huge line when a few miles away there's no line at all.

I might call around just for fun. Who knows, maybe one store will be easy and a clerk would hold one for me so I could breeze right through it.

That's if I decide to get one. I sort of hate to switch carriers.
Seems excessive.

No way i'm going to wait in any line that's larger than 6 people.

I hate lines (and crowds)

Life's too short.

mainomega
Jun 25, 2007, 11:42 PM
Buffalo Grove store said they were going to have at least 65 phones. Not sure how accurate this is though. but they are clearing parking spots for their "velvet rope" i forgot what the ATT memo said they were called though.

Gravity
Jun 26, 2007, 07:24 AM
I'll be heading to the Apple store in Woodfield mall at about 4:00 p.m. and camp out until 6:00 p.m.

I'm hoping there won't be a line like there was the first time I saw "STAR WARS" in 1977.

I can't really afford the iPhone... but screw it. It's going on my plastic. I don't care!

Gravity
Jun 26, 2007, 07:27 AM
I live in Hoffman Estates... but I'm coming from work in Evanston to the Apple store in Woodfield mall. Probably get there by 2:00 p.m.

I can do 4 hours. NO problem.

Erik

I work about 3 miles away in Hoffman Estates, and may be heading over at the same time.

I can report here via StrayRooster how the line is looking at Woodfield. He plans on getting there early as they'll let him get in line. If it's getting longer around 2pm I may head over a bit early.

Gravity
Jun 26, 2007, 07:35 AM
Do you think there will be news coverage at the apple stores?

ct-scan
Jun 26, 2007, 07:44 AM
I am planning on going to Oak Brook - intend to be there first thing Friday morning.

I will see you there! =)

kgiglio2
Jun 26, 2007, 07:59 AM
who in the chicagoland area is going to wait at an at&t store....it seems like everyone is going to an apple store and I'm sure the lines will be smaller at the att stores since there are a lot more of them, and they are more spread out....

any southwest suburbs people????

dlpmaster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:06 AM
I live in Hoffman Estates... but I'm coming from work in Evanston to the Apple store in Woodfield mall. Probably get there by 2:00 p.m.

I can do 4 hours. NO problem.

Erik

Hey, Gravity, where do you work?

I work at Kellogg on Northwestern.
You live close by, maybe we can meet there...

abgould
Jun 26, 2007, 09:00 AM
I will see you there! =)

Cool - see you then!

SpaceJello
Jun 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
actually anyone know which At&T stores would have the iphone? i would imagine the one on state and randolph definitely, or anyone on the loop/rivernorth

nmatese
Jun 26, 2007, 11:19 AM
I am thinking of heading to Woodfield or Oakbrook or maybe the AT&T store in Homewood. Not sure yet, seems like everyone is going to Woodfield.

runplaysleeprun
Jun 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
That lower sales tax may have just convinced me to go to northbrook instead or woodfield. Save nearly $8! I'll put it toward a case...

hakala01
Jun 26, 2007, 12:54 PM

I'm probably heading to Oak Brook from Elmwood Park after work (about 5 or so). Most likely not going to buy just yet, even though my AT&T contract just ended last week. I was just going to check out the crowd and check the iPhone out first hand. Plus, it's been too long since I've stepped foot in an Apple Store.

Gravity
Jun 26, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hi!

I work in the single-story brick building right next to Mustard's Last Stand (Near Ryan Field)

I live in Hoffman Estates/Schaumburg... so the apple store is on the way home!

Erik

Hey, Gravity, where do you work?

I work at Kellogg on Northwestern.
You live close by, maybe we can meet there...

nmatese
Jun 26, 2007, 01:13 PM
Anyone have any reasons why an Apple store would be better than an AT&T store?

Gravity
Jun 26, 2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone have any reasons why an Apple store would be better than an AT&T store?

My guess is that they would likely have larger stocks available.

nmatese
Jun 26, 2007, 03:14 PM
who in the chicagoland area is going to wait at an at&t store....it seems like everyone is going to an apple store and I'm sure the lines will be smaller at the att stores since there are a lot more of them, and they are more spread out....

any southwest suburbs people????

You think alot of people will show up a Mokena?

rachaface
Jun 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
ill be at northbrook too! :)

Zuul
Jun 26, 2007, 05:38 PM
I think I'm heading to Northbrook, too. Hopefully less busy than Old Orchard. What time are other people heading to Northbrook?

ibrainch
Jun 26, 2007, 07:37 PM
I will be lining up for iphone at the michigan avenue store and i 100% need to have the iphone on friday. should i go thursday night or early friday morning (i can't see too many people joining the line overnight). when do you guys people will start to form a line there?

abgould
Jun 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
Slightly off topic, but I am going early Friday morning to Oak Brook - but none of my friends will go with me (they think I am crazy); what is the bathroom etiquette? Do people hold places in line? I've never stood in line this long before.
Help!

johnny6ass
Jun 26, 2007, 08:12 PM
I will be lining up for iphone at the michigan avenue store and i 100% need to have the iphone on friday. should i go thursday night or early friday morning (i can't see too many people joining the line overnight). when do you guys people will start to form a line there?

dude, i'm planning on showing up friday morning, around 9am. i really hope no one shows up at the mich ave store prior to that morning but those dudes in nyc have me worried :)

lu0s3r322
Jun 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
i made a list :rolleyes: based on the posts. not final though. doesnt matter if you're just looking or buying. i'd edit the list as more people post:

- Michigan Avenue
stefanot
johnny6ass
toomuchrock
ibrainch

- Oak Brook
abgould
ChrisSamsa
ct-scan
hakala01
lord_patton
acehigh

- Woodfield
Gravity
McCarron
nickspohn
aricher
StrayRooster
kylefsu32

- Northbrook
lu0s3r322
ipodmylife224
rachaface
zuul
runplaysleeprun

- Old Orchard
(None)

- AT&T Stores
kgiglio
spacejello
mainomega

- Undecided/Don't Know Which Store
bacsig
mac_jones
nmatese
piecewise
dlpmaster
1000masks
jbstingray

mac jones
Jun 26, 2007, 09:19 PM
Great idea!

I'll look at the list fri. and then go to the store with the least amount of names ;)

No seriously, It would be fun to say hello if your going to be in some kind of line.

Hopefully though, there won't be lines (i'm allergic to lines)

dlpmaster
Jun 26, 2007, 09:27 PM
I have a contact on Old Orchard, so I'm gonna wait for his word on this.
And wait if I should make the trip from Evanston all the way to Woodfield.
But that's the plan right now..
(I already posted the possible senarios at some stores)
but They will be expecting lines, the one thing is that security will decide ether of letting you around in the store and create a "line" or just letting you line up upon closure of the stores..

ibrainch
Jun 26, 2007, 10:23 PM
so is 9am friday morning the earliest anyone is getting to an apple store? anyone planning on going thursday night?

abgould
Jun 26, 2007, 10:26 PM
so is 9am friday morning the earliest anyone is getting to an apple store? anyone planning on going thursday night?

I am going to try and be at Oak Brook by 7am Friday.

lord patton
Jun 26, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'll be going to OakBrook... probably arrive around 3 p.m. If there are less than one or two hundred people in line, I'll stay, otherwise I'm heading to the AT&T store in Darien.

I think the Apple store will definitely have 100, maybe closer to 500, phones each. Hopeful MacRumors will give us the skinny on that before Friday.

jbstingray
Jun 27, 2007, 02:13 AM

I'm planning on checking things out at opening - I expect people won't be lining up until 10-ish or so, so I will check back every once in a while seeing as I am 5 minutes or so away.

Friday is going to be a lot of fun!

-jb

1000masks
Jun 27, 2007, 08:38 AM
I live in Chicago and I think I am planning on going to one of the ATT stores because the employees told me about a month ago that the phone was going to be too expensive. Im thinking with those sales tecniques people wont be lining up at these stores. On the other hand all the Apple stores will have all the hype and all the commotion and that might make for a better story.

MacMan33
Jun 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
Any idea how many the apple locations will be getting? I plan to arrive at around 2 in the afternoon on friday. I think all store will get around 50-100 phones. ANy updates from anyone?? thanks

johnny6ass
Jun 27, 2007, 01:20 PM
Any idea how many the apple locations will be getting? I plan to arrive at around 2 in the afternoon on friday. I think all store will get around 50-100 phones. ANy updates from anyone?? thanks

i don't think anyone has any solid info on quantities yet... but there are rumors floating around of apple / at&t employees saying there will be "enough," etc.

2 should probably be fine though, i'm probably jumping the gun by throwing 9am out there lol. either way, friday is going to be sweet!

MacMan33
Jun 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yes, i believe that all the stores will have ample supplies come Friday. All the stores I have called are not allowing anyone to wait in line ahead of time. I think it will not be as crazy as the PS3 launch or 360, that was a mad house, this will be tame in comparison, I believe.....

B-

abgould
Jun 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
I think I am getting more & more caught up in the media frenzy and now am thinking of arriving at the Oak Brook store even earlier Friday morning - maybe 5am? Am I overly-enthusiastic or just overly cautious? I just am so excited and want to make sure I get a phone Friday.

MacMan33
Jun 27, 2007, 02:50 PM
I think I am getting more & more caught up in the media frenzy and now am thinking of arriving at the Oak Brook store even earlier Friday morning - maybe 5am? Am I overly-enthusiastic or just overly cautious? I just am so excited and want to make sure I get a phone Friday.

I was thinking the same, but then i think everyone will be working and leaving work early. I plan to arrive around 2pm, to beat the rush. As long as you in the first 100 i think its a safe bet. Plus the price point is high to where it will force alot of buyers to wait till the updated model arrives...

ninethirty
Jun 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
100? I've read that there's 3 million units available for launch (although I'm not sure if that's true or not). I'd bet that the Apple stores will probably have at least 1000 each. I remember reading as well that bigger cities (New York, LA and Chicago) are being stocked better than smaller cities or areas less likely to sell as well. I'm gonna get in a line around 4 and I bet I'll be fine.

Edit: Aha! http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/27/iphone-availability-one-per-person/

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 06:19 AM

Are you going to have email access at the store... give us an update... I am thinking if i should go around 1pm or early like 9am or so.

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 06:22 AM
You hear on tv mostly about the NY store.. wondering if anybody is online yet in Chicago. Going to pass by the Michigan Ave store later today...

iMosaic
Jun 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
I found this on another forum. :)

I just heard from editwizard after speaking with the concierge at our local mall some of Apple's details on how the launch will go!
There will be numbered wristbands distributed for the iPhone.
There will be 3 colors of wristbands and they will be numbered 1-500 (yes 500!!!!!).
24hour security will be in place starting Thursday.
Stanchions will be outside at 6pm Thursday.
There will be a restroom(s) brought in for access to the outside entrance where the line will be.
The line will form at the entrance of the mall closest to the outside of the Apple store.
Wristbands will be distributed in the line at 5pm on Friday.
The first 50 customers will be let into the Apple Store at 5:50pm and then more groups of 50 following that until the store closes that night.

Not sure if all Apple stores will be getting the full 500 iPhones, but ours definitely will. Looks like the lucky first 50 folks get in right before 6, at 5:50...

Zuul
Jun 28, 2007, 08:28 AM
iMosiac, which Apple store are you referring to?

Thanks!

iMosaic
Jun 28, 2007, 08:45 AM
From what I get the poster is in Tampa. The post is on ModMyiPhone. And with a 2 per person limit they should have plenty.

abgould
Jun 28, 2007, 09:19 AM
Are you going to have email access at the store... give us an update... I am thinking if i should go around 1pm or early like 9am or so.

I am not going to have email access but I will be there between 5-6 am Friday.

lu0s3r322
Jun 28, 2007, 09:29 AM
no one is in line at the michigan avenue store yet, i just walked past it

ninethirty
Jun 28, 2007, 09:57 AM
I would laugh if there was. I plan to head down there at 4 tomorrow and I think that's even a bit early. They're going to have TONS of phones. Anyone who gets in line today has a) no life, and b) no idea how stupid they're going to feel when they see how easily people will casually walk in and get them tomorrow.

no one is in line at the michigan avenue store yet, i just walked past it

kylefsu32
Jun 28, 2007, 10:10 AM
i will be getting there at about 9:30 TONIGHT! Cant wait, hope to see some of you there.

kylefsu32
Jun 28, 2007, 10:12 AM
I would laugh if there was. I plan to head down there at 4 tomorrow and I think that's even a bit early. They're going to have TONS of phones. Anyone who gets in line today has a) no life, and b) no idea how stupid they're going to feel when they see how easily people will casually walk in and get them tomorrow.

:-( You're right, I have a) no life, but hey, thats why I am on this forum ;-) and b) I know how easy it will prolly be, but I dont care, I think it will be a fun experience!

ninethirty
Jun 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
Well, good luck to you, but I don't think you'll need it :)

:-( You're right, I have a) no life, but hey, thats why I am on this forum ;-) and b) I know how easy it will prolly be, but I dont care, I think it will be a fun experience!

ChrisSamsa
Jun 28, 2007, 01:08 PM
I'll be going to OakBrook... probably arrive around 3 p.m. If there are less than one or two hundred people in line, I'll stay, otherwise I'm heading to the AT&T store in Darien.

I think the Apple store will definitely have 100, maybe closer to 500, phones each. Hopeful MacRumors will give us the skinny on that before Friday.

I have a very similar game plan to you.. the Caribou Coffee in the mall with that ATT store has very nice people working there too.. while not quite as motivated as the store I manage.. they're still good people... if you need a quick jolt or a quick piss while you wait, i reccommend a stop over there, I doubt they'd stop you from using their restrooms.. also, Tony at the Panda Express is quite the good guy. :)

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 01:58 PM
I am at the apple store now on michigan no line... and nobody knows anything about wristbands....

will check in later... i will not be waiting outside this store too many tourist will be taking pictures of the line. will go to another store.

lord patton
Jun 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
I have a very similar game plan to you.. the Caribou Coffee in the mall with that ATT store has very nice people working there too.. while not quite as motivated as the store I manage.. they're still good people... if you need a quick jolt or a quick piss while you wait, i reccommend a stop over there, I doubt they'd stop you from using their restrooms.. also, Tony at the Panda Express is quite the good guy. :)

I go to that Caribou all the time... but normally just the drive through.

Are you saying you manage a Caribou? Which one?

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 03:04 PM
He is getting interviewed by this blonde reporter right now. he is holding a apple laptop somebody going to get jumped tonight.

ninethirty
Jun 28, 2007, 03:17 PM
What a loser...

He is getting interviewed by this blonde reporter right now. he is holding a apple laptop somebody going to get jumped tonight.

johnny6ass
Jun 28, 2007, 03:56 PM

wow lol... and to think i was actually secretly hoping that 9am tomorrow morning would put me at #1. should've known better!!

we should get a final check on whose going to be at which stores... i'm still planning on mich ave 9am tomorrow! w00t!:D

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 03:58 PM
What a loser...

Yeah and it gets better people are like taking pictures with him. Way to use up your 15 mins. Guy. I wonder when the 2nd person will come probably around 7am or so. I think it will be easy to get an iphone in chicago. Apple should make a no return policy for for iphones for tomorrow only. Instead of 14 days. But a sale is a sale.

You can't even park a car near that michigan ave store to charge the battery.

Who wants to steal a laptop around 3am.

johnny6ass
Jun 28, 2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah and it gets better people are like taking pictures with him. Way to use up your 15 mins. Guy. I wonder when the 2nd person will come probably around 7am or so. I think it will be easy to get an iphone in chicago. Apple should make a no return policy for for iphones for tomorrow only. Instead of 14 days. But a sale is a sale.

You can't even park a car near that michigan ave store to charge the battery.

Who wants to steal a laptop around 3am.

this dude probably idolizes the nyc line guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Packer

the only thing worse than being that guy is being the guy that wants to be that guy lol

ChrisSamsa
Jun 28, 2007, 05:03 PM
I go to that Caribou all the time... but normally just the drive through.

Are you saying you manage a Caribou? Which one?

I suppose I use the term manager loosely, there is one person above me in rank at my store.. I'm a supervisor at the Caribou on 63rd street and route 83 in Willowbrook. Top store in the district, 2nd in the region. :)

abgould
Jun 28, 2007, 05:43 PM
wow lol... and to think i was actually secretly hoping that 9am tomorrow morning would put me at #1. should've known better!!

we should get a final check on whose going to be at which stores... i'm still planning on mich ave 9am tomorrow! w00t!:D

I am still planning to be at Oak Brook, between 5-6 am. Crazy but I am committed to being one of the first in line.

lu0s3r322
Jun 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
the guy who's 2nd in line at the michigan avenue stored seemed like he had nothing with him except his clothes and his chair.

ninethirty
Jun 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
jesus... how many people are in line already? I was gonna head down around 3 tomorrow but this is starting to sound ridiculous. These guys are in line a full day early for a CELL PHONE!

the guy who's 2nd in line at the michigan avenue stored seemed like he had nothing with him except his clothes and his chair.

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 06:44 PM
jesus... how many people are in line already? I was gonna head down around 3 tomorrow but this is starting to sound ridiculous. These guys are in line a full day early for a CELL PHONE!

Just got out of die hard... and now there are 5 people in line.

this is crazy i guess if you want to be famous get in line with these jackasses.

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 06:44 PM
Just got out of die hard... and now there are 5 people in line.

this is crazy i guess if you want to be famous get in line with these jackasses.

i am a loser for watching them inline and posting this... i know

i am going to leave now

ninethirty
Jun 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
The crappy thing about these guys getting in line so early is that by doing it, others feel like they have to rush down there to do the same thing. I'm gonna head down there by 3 but I bet there will be hundreds in line by then... these guys could have waited until noon tomorrow without any problems...

i am a loser for watching them inline and posting this... i know

i am going to leave now

dhunwick
Jun 28, 2007, 07:25 PM
Im headin to old orchard apple store tomorrow! BTW here's a pic from the Chicago store this eve.

abgould
Jun 28, 2007, 07:25 PM
Now I am wondering how AT&T servers will handle all the people activating their phones tomorrow night.

ct-scan
Jun 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
I am still planning to be at Oak Brook, between 5-6 am. Crazy but I am committed to being one of the first in line.

I'm showing up around 10ish...I have no worries about getting one ;-)

ninethirty
Jun 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
Well with all this craziness, what time do you guys think is too late to show up at Michigan Ave?

ChrisSamsa
Jun 28, 2007, 08:46 PM

I'll be at Oakbrook about 4:00.. Jamba Juice in hand and a pretty girl to keep me company (though, she'll probably wander her way to Guess or some other fancy store)... shouldn't be too terrible of a wait, even if i am in the back of the line :)

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 28, 2007, 09:08 PM
I plan on showing up at Oak Brook tomorrow around maybe 2pm or so. I'm in no rush. There are anywhere from 1000 to 1500 iPhones at that store. There will not be more than 400-600 people waiting in line. We're good. Worst case scenario, they run out, and..well..I'm not gonna share my backup plan with anyone. ;)

Acehigh
Jun 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
I plan on showing up at Oak Brook tomorrow around maybe 2pm or so. I'm in no rush. There are anywhere from 1000 to 1500 iPhones at that store. There will not be more than 400-600 people waiting in line. We're good. Worst case scenario, they run out, and..well..I'm not gonna share my backup plan with anyone. ;)

Back up plan pay somebody $50 to buy you a phone ? Everybody can buy two iphones.

I might buy two just in case on is doa.

ibrainch
Jun 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
heard there are now 25 people in line - craziness...

johnny6ass
Jun 28, 2007, 10:58 PM
heard there are now 25 people in line - craziness...

yea... engadget is covering it!! sounded like there could be 40+ people there by now!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/28/iphone-madness-hit-or-miss-in-chicago/

MacMan33
Jun 28, 2007, 11:30 PM
I have to agree mid afternoon for me as well. My boss paid 2 employees to go wait in line at mich ave at 5am to buy 4 for himself, that would be nice. He plans to go at 5 to collect his phones. He is paying them 100 each...it would be nice to have the extra funds to blow:(other than for the phone...

gmacdiddy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:33 PM
Anybody going to the oakbrook store? If so, what time are you going to get there?

Also anyone that knows about the current # of people at the oakbrook store please let us know!

Zuul
Jun 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
I was at the Northbrook Apple store earlier tonight. Ropes are set up, ready for tomorrow. Who else is going to Northbrook and what time are you going? I was thinking around noon, but I'm wondering if I should go earlier...

MacMan33
Jun 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
Friend states no one seen outside as of yet, just off the cell. He is going to Oakbrook now....Update in a few

gmacdiddy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
thanks macman, cant wait to hear about the situation at oakbrook

MacMan33
Jun 28, 2007, 11:46 PM
thanks macman, cant wait to hear about the situation at oakbrook

Minor delay.....he was just pulled over:eek: for the love of god:cool:

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
Oak Brook Center is not allowing people to line up until 5am Friday. That's the official word.

But I don't think anyone needs to go to that extreme. The main store that will be getting hit hard is Michigan Ave. The suburbs, less so. I actually think that people who show up right at 6pm will be able to get an iPhone.

gmacdiddy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:49 PM
Minor delay.....he was just pulled over:eek: for the love of god:cool:

Crap that sucks:( Speedin?:cool: Well i wont be getting any sleep so whenever you get an update i'll be here to read it.

gmacdiddy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:52 PM
Oak Brook Center is not allowing people to line up until 5am Friday. That's the official word.

But I don't think anyone needs to go to that extreme. The main store that will be getting hit hard is Michigan Ave. The suburbs, less so. I actually think that people who show up right at 6pm will be able to get an iPhone.

are you getting yours at oakbrook saltyjack?

billyripkin
Jun 28, 2007, 11:53 PM
So I was in the Woodfield mall tonight and they have two line roped off. One for A&TT store and one for Apple. There was one guy in the A&TT line and about 15 in the Apple line. This was around 7pm. If you want to go there the line is forming at door 3 by the comedy club. The apple store employee told me he has no idea how many they are getting. By the way ignore the sign inside the doors that mentions wristbands because the apple store employee told me they have no plans for wristbands at this time. Here is a pic from the scene.

jbstingray
Jun 28, 2007, 11:56 PM
I would have thought that Woodfield security would be turning away people until the morning like Oakbrook Mall. Guess not! However, some people say there is no one there and some say there are.... hmmm.

-jb

gmacdiddy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:59 PM
So it seems like a consensus that oakbrook wont allow a line until 5am...true?

billyripkin
Jun 28, 2007, 11:59 PM
well when I was there around 7pm the schaumburg police were there and were just watching over them. the apple store employee told me if I wanted one to go get in line. personally I plan on going to a a&tt store tomorrow afternoon out by where I live in Elgin.

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
are you getting yours at oakbrook saltyjack?

Sure am. I'll be there around 2pm or so. Maybe a little later.

jbstingray
Jun 29, 2007, 12:01 AM
Well, I hope there aren't 500 people there by the early AM!

-jb

billyripkin
Jun 29, 2007, 12:07 AM
Well lets just keep each other up to date on how things are looking out there and we will hopefully all have one in 18 hours. Personally I plan on seeing Die Hard tomorrow then getting in line at either the Geneva A&TT store or the St. Charles store. Just note if you shop out west the tax rate is cheaper and you can save about $14 in sales tax. Might not be much on a $599 purchase but something to consider.

gmacdiddy
I've got nothing to do tomorrow so im gonna get there between 5-6 am...i believe 5am is the earliest they are allowing people at OBrook anyways...anybody else getting there that early?

CaptSaltyJack
My estimations for Oak Brook:

5am - 30 people
10am - 90 people
3pm - 200 people
4pm - 320 people
5pm - 450 people
6pm - 600 people
7pm - 400 people
8pm - 100 people
9pm (close) - 30 people

No real science to this, just self-entertaining guesses. ;) I'm kinda wondering how close my guesses will be. Maybe my numbers are off. I can't picture 600 people there..that's a LOT of people. And this isn't a huge store, and that many people would be blocking movement for other OC shoppers.

ninethirty
Jun 29, 2007, 12:12 AM
Well... due to all the craziness I have no idea if I should head down to Michigan Ave now, or wait for morning... ideas? Predictions? The Michigan Ave store should have TONs of them I assume? I don't want to be in a line that takes 3 hours to process beyond 6 though...

My estimations for Oak Brook:

5am - 30 people
10am - 90 people
3pm - 200 people
4pm - 320 people
5pm - 450 people
6pm - 600 people
7pm - 400 people
8pm - 100 people
9pm (close) - 30 people

No real science to this, just self-entertaining guesses. ;) I'm kinda wondering how close my guesses will be. Maybe my numbers are off. I can't picture 600 people there..that's a LOT of people. And this isn't a huge store, and that many people would be blocking movement for other OC shoppers.

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 12:13 AM
I'm guessing they will have 1500-2000 in stock at the oakbrook store, maybe more?? I read somewhere that the largest "flagship" stores will have between 5000-10000 in stock.

ninethirty
Jun 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
I think that's purely unrealistic from a space perspective. For Apple to be able to store 10,000 iPhones they'd need a giant warehouse attached to the store..

I'm guessing they will have 1500-2000 in stock at the oakbrook store, maybe more?? I read somewhere that the largest "flagship" stores will have between 5000-10000 in stock.

Salasm
Jun 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
im going to order online so i dont look like a loser waiting in line.

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 12:23 AM
im going to order online so i dont look like a loser waiting in line.

Have fun waiting 2-4 weeks for your shipment.. ;)

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 12:27 AM
I think that's purely unrealistic from a space perspective. For Apple to be able to store 10,000 iPhones they'd need a giant warehouse attached to the store..

here's the article that refers to the 10,000 in stock at the "largest flagship stores"

http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/06/14.1.shtml

ninethirty
Jun 29, 2007, 12:33 AM
Analysts expect lots, but are not always right :) I'm frustrated that people are packing the Michigan Ave store already... I didn't expect this until about noon tomorrow. Not sure what to do now...

here's the article that refers to the 10,000 in stock at the "largest flagship stores"

http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/06/14.1.shtml

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 12:41 AM
the mich ave. store is where all the hype is...i'm sure they have an ample supply though...it doesnt surprise me that they are the most crowded right now. Maybe you should consider getting one at a different location?

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 12:45 AM
Anyone have new info on the oakbrook store?

dlpmaster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:02 AM
Im headin to old orchard apple store tomorrow! BTW here's a pic from the Chicago store this eve.

Hey What time are you going to Old Orchard?
Think there will be a huge line there?

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
I'm going to go about 5:30am to oakbrook, if anyone else wants to meet up there so we could hold eachother's spots for bathroom and food breaks i'm in.

By the way...i drove past the cingular/att store on lagrange rd and ogden...there were a few people camping out...

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 01:27 AM
anyone up?

flir67
Jun 29, 2007, 01:35 AM
yeap, up reading the forums seeing who's up.

from nc,

you at that mall? read up on getting free drinks from that pepsi machine in the background. :D

its takes up time :)

best of luck to ya

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 01:51 AM
im leaving at 5:30am to go to oakbrook

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 02:07 AM
when you buy the phone at apple...do they activate your att account there or do you have to go to an att store?

gmacdiddy
Jun 29, 2007, 03:29 AM
any updates from the chicago area?

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 03:31 AM
nothing here off to bed for a few

ibrainch
Jun 29, 2007, 04:29 AM
any updates from mich ave store? also, anyone know what activities are planned for launch? bands? discounts? t-shirts? etc. debating when to join the line...

Acehigh
Jun 29, 2007, 05:07 AM
any updates from mich ave store? also, anyone know what activities are planned for launch? bands? discounts? t-shirts? etc. debating when to join the line...

Discounts! No way if Steve Jobs could he would charge 10% more.

I doubt shirts its not a store opening... just going to have people taking pictures of you like you are in a zoo, and reporters asking why you are waiting on line. what makes the iphone so special.

ninethirty
Jun 29, 2007, 06:55 AM
Yeah I'm curious as well... is there even any point in going down there anymore? Also, if the 10,000 units story is true... there's no need for a line. Theoretically I could stop by at 9 tonight and get one easy..

Gravity
Jun 29, 2007, 06:56 AM
I spoke to an employee at the Woodfield store and she told me that they allowed the line to begin forming last night at 6 p.m. CRAZINESS.

I'm getting to woodfield at 2 p.m. I'll be wearing a powder blue polo and black jeans if anyone wants to say "Hi Erik!/Gravity"

I just hope that if I'm standing in line for 4 to 6 hours... that I'm not so far back that those buying 2 phones dwindle the supply!

and I'm wondering.... if I'm waiting in line for 4 hours prior to opening... how many hours before I actually get into the store? Is it going to be 9 p.m. before I have an iPhone in my hands???

Erik

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 07:14 AM
I'm going to try to swing by the Apple store at Oak Brook in about an hour or so. No guarantees. If I do make it out there, I'll try to snap pictures and post when I get home.

psychboy
Jun 29, 2007, 07:43 AM
when you buy the phone at apple...do they activate your att account there or do you have to go to an att store?
It's all through iTunes...you don't have to go anywhere but home to activate the phone/account. Come on, you should know that by now!

Acehigh
Jun 29, 2007, 07:58 AM
I'm going to try to swing by the Apple store at Oak Brook in about an hour or so. No guarantees. If I do make it out there, I'll try to snap pictures and post when I get home.

At oakbrook about 40 to 50 people here right now.

ct-scan
Jun 29, 2007, 07:58 AM

Yeah, let us know.
I was planning on leaving here around 10am.

(Need to bring something to do...charing the PSP, I think it's been about a year since I played it!)

ct-scan
Jun 29, 2007, 07:59 AM

Holy cr@p! I think that just boosted the my departure time!

ninethirty
Jun 29, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm at the AT&T store on state right now and there is 6 of us in line...good place to be absolutely sure!Holy cr@p! I think that just boosted the my departure time!

meagain
Jun 29, 2007, 08:29 AM

Ace - Thanks! Keep us posted. That would be my store.

lu0s3r322
Jun 29, 2007, 09:05 AM
UPDATE: Just passed by the Michigan Avenue store, the line has grown to I'd say fifty at least! Almost 10x from yesterday! It stretches around the corner, theres so many people! I saw two cameras, one with like a news film crew. The guy who is first is also sitting with someone new, just a temporary visit from a friend probably.

Acehigh
Jun 29, 2007, 09:14 AM
Ace - Thanks! Keep us posted. That would be my store.

about 15 people came after 530am... so probably if you get here by 2pm you will be fine.

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
Okay, I'm at the Northbrook store, and there are about 50 people in line now. I got here a few minutes ago, so I'm at least in the first 50! :)

lu0s3r322
Jun 29, 2007, 09:57 AM
are you serious? 50 people! oh man, and im going tonight! are you borrowing wifi from the apple store?

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 10:09 AM
Okay, I'm at the Northbrook store, and there are about 50 people in line now. I got here a few minutes ago, so I'm at least in the first 50! :)

I am number 11 in northbrook, hope that this line moves fast. I hope they have at least 50 for everyone here, this line will keep growing..

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yep, using the Apple Store wifi. The line now is pretty much in front of the store. They have four rows of lines that serpentine back and fourth. The secondary line is in front of The Gap, further down toward Macy's. I'm guessing you won't get reception in the secondary line.

They just came out and announced that they are asking everyone to respect everyone in line and not let others join you in line. Basically saying that you can only hold your own place in line, and not have friends joing you later on. So hopefully the number I am now (which is somewhere between 45 and 50) should remain the same.

~ Dana

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
Yep, using the Apple Store wifi. The line now is pretty much in front of the store. They have four rows of lines that serpentine back and fourth. The secondary line is in front of The Gap, further down toward Macy's. I'm guessing you won't get reception in the secondary line.

They just came out and announced that they are asking everyone to respect everyone in line and not let others join you in line. Basically saying that you can only hold your own place in line, and not have friends joing you later on. So hopefully the number I am now (which is somewhere between 45 and 50) should remain the same.

~ Dana

Dana what store are you at now. If its woodfield i know several people at that location that are simply holding a place in line for someone to come later and replace them. 3 of my friends have their girlfriends waiting in line for them so they can work and then come buy it at 6pm. But i agree other than replacing someone in line, i hope it does not grow

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 AM
So which one are you? I'm in the third row, jeans, brown shirt, brown hair.

~ Dana

I am number 11 in northbrook, hope that this line moves fast. I hope they have at least 50 for everyone here, this line will keep growing..

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
So which one are you? I'm in the third row, jeans, brown shirt, brown hair.

~ Dana

I have my hostess waiting in line for me she is the 5'2 cute blonde. She is waiting for me, then i too will replace her at 5pm. I am bringing her lunch in a few....I will be in a suit and burberry tie

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm at the Northbrook store.

Dana what store are you at now.

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 11:02 AM
Bringing her Chipolte for lunch anyone need anything??

gkarris
Jun 29, 2007, 11:05 AM
If I get out of work early, I may stop by Oak Brook on the way to my barber's in Elmhurst.

I can't afford one right now, but would like to get one if T-Mobile ever gets them.

I'll stop by just to say hello and take pics with my T-Mobile Windows Mobile phone - whoa, that's strange... :eek:

ninethirty
Jun 29, 2007, 11:33 AM
Just for anyone who's trying to figure out where to wait... I'm at the AT&T store on State downtown and the line is very short. Maybe 10 people at the most. Good bet if you don't want to wait how ever many hours it may take for people to pay at the Apple store tonight...

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the offer, my sister-in-law will be bringing me lunch later today!

Bringing her Chipolte for lunch anyone need anything??

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the offer, my sister-in-law will be bringing me lunch later today!

just made the delievery, are you with a kid in a brown shirt as well. ONLY saw one girl with a brown shirt on in row 3. rather cute as well i might add....:)

chicat
Jun 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hey Ninethirty,
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to drop by the State st store in a bit. Which person are you?

Just for anyone who's trying to figure out where to wait... I'm at the AT&T store on State downtown and the line is very short. Maybe 10 people at the most. Good bet if you don't want to wait how ever many hours it may take for people to pay at the Apple store tonight...

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 12:46 PM
Need an update on Oak Brook. How's it looking? I'm going to try to call the Apple store there and fool them into giving me stock levels.

Damn, didn't work.

ct-scan
Jun 29, 2007, 12:54 PM
Need an update on Oak Brook. How's it looking? I'm going to try to call the Apple store there and fool them into giving me stock levels.

Damn, didn't work.

There aren't even 100 people here yet.
Only a shortage of power outlets... ;-)

jcxstar13
Jun 29, 2007, 01:01 PM
Updates on the Michigan Ave store... how many people in line?
Any other locations what are the lines looking like?
:apple:

bacsig
Jun 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any counts for the stores in the NW burbs?

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 01:08 PM
There aren't even 100 people here yet.
Only a shortage of power outlets... ;-)

Wow, really? Well, my estimations are good so far. I said 90 people by 10am. 200 people by 3pm, we'll see if that turns out to be a reality. I'm expecting a bigger jump soon for IT workers who took a half day off.

lu0s3r322
Jun 29, 2007, 01:10 PM
michigan avenue is definitely getting bigger, ill pass by it at about 3:30 ish

this morning it was 50+ growing by the hour

aricher
Jun 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
Anybody have an update on Schaumburg?

wowok1234
Jun 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
For those interested, ABC7 has a live webcam from Macy's pointing towards the line at the AT&T store; so far it does not appear to be that many people...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news&id=4628066

(need windows media player)

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wow, we're like ships passing in the night! :) Nope, my son is at camp today, I'm here by myself. There is a little girl with her mom on my left (facing the Apple store) but she has a yellow shirt on. I'm directly in front of the Timberland store...

~ Dana

just made the delievery, are you with a kid in a brown shirt as well. ONLY saw one girl with a brown shirt on in row 3. rather cute as well i might add....:)

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wow, we're like ships passing in the night! :) Nope, my son is at camp today, I'm here by myself. There is a little girl with her mom on my left (facing the Apple store) but she has a yellow shirt on. I'm directly in front of the Timberland store...

~ Dana

Cool, I will see you around 5ish when i arrive to relieve my line waiter. :cool:

scott4862
Jun 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
I am sitting on line at the ATT store on Diversy. Anyone else nearby? Also, if I could have updates on line sizes from other places in chicago that would be awesome. Everyone around me is interested in knowing.

jcxstar13
Jun 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
scott4862
I am sitting on line at the ATT store on Diversy. Anyone else nearby? Also, if I could have updates on line sizes from other places in chicago that would be awesome. Everyone around me is interested in knowing.

Scott, whats the line like at the att store on diversy how deep is the line? I get off work at 4 and was gonna try and make it to that store.
:apple:

hakala01
Jun 29, 2007, 02:19 PM

I work at about Harlem and Diversey. Where's that ATT store located? I was gonna go to Oak Brook for an iPhone after work, think it might be wiser (and faster) to go to an ATT store. When I put in my zip code here, 60707, it just shows 3 ATT stores on Harlem.

chicat
Jun 29, 2007, 02:20 PM

I just walked over to the store in the 200 block of w. Monroe and I'd say there are about 25 people there.

Anyone have an update on Michigan Ave? I promised a friend from work I'd try to get one for him, so I'd obviously have to go to Michigan Ave to get 2.

aricher
Jun 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
Report from co-worker - Schaumburg is an indoor line now - black rope - about 60 people deep.

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 02:33 PM
Northbrook store - about 75 people in line now. Apple Store closed at 2pm. Windows blacked out with iPhone World Premiere Tonight at 6 p.m. in the window. :D

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
Northbrook store - about 75 people in line now. Apple Store closed at 2pm. Windows blacked out with iPhone World Premiere Tonight at 6 p.m. in the window. :D

Love it,.....love it any pictures...

Zuul
Jun 29, 2007, 02:47 PM
Love it,.....love it any pictures...

From sitting on the floor. I'm too lazy to get up! :D

http://pero.tv/temp/AppleStoreBlackedOut.jpg

kylefsu32
Jun 29, 2007, 02:48 PM
Report from co-worker - Schaumburg is an indoor line now - black rope - about 60 people deep.

Yeah... NO. The line is easily at 150 right now, JBStingray is doing a headcount now, I will update with that in 5 min.

EDIT: inside there are about 100, and the line is continuing outside.

lord patton
Jun 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
Oak Brook... about 100-120 people here, shortly before 3 p.m.

The Apple store's wifi is pretty strong... thankfully.

Ha ze
Jun 29, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm in line, 4 blocks away from the entrance to the store on michigan ave.

anyone want anything from the corner bakery?? lol

lu0s3r322
Jun 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'm in line, 4 blocks away from the entrance to the store on michigan ave.

anyone want anything from the corner bakery?? lol

where does the line go? when i passed by it, it turn the corner and went down huron st., did it turn the corner and go down st. clair?

scott4862
Jun 29, 2007, 03:02 PM
I work at about Harlem and Diversey. Where's that ATT store located? I was gonna go to Oak Brook for an iPhone after work, think it might be wiser (and faster) to go to an ATT store. When I put in my zip code here, 60707, it just shows 3 ATT stores on Harlem.

Hey guys... this is the store at 554 W. Diversy... Diversy and Clark more or less. Currently there are 28 people in line. Hope to see some of you here later!

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
From sitting on the floor. I'm too lazy to get up! :D

http://pero.tv/temp/AppleStoreBlackedOut.jpg

thanks for the photo... Soon we all will be enjoying the iphone....:)
See you at 5pm, thanks

Ha ze
Jun 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
where does the line go? when i passed by it, it turn the corner and went down huron st., did it turn the corner and go down st. clair?

yea, it goes down st.clair and has turned again down erie headed back towards Michigan, I'm on the corner of St.Clair and Erie

the1pes
Jun 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
what it is like out at the oakbrook store now, anyone who is there?

dpaanlka
Jun 29, 2007, 03:34 PM

I'm going out to Oakbrook in a little while, probably a half hour, but for reasons unrelated to the iPhone. I'll definitely walk by though to see how it is.

Beerad
Jun 29, 2007, 03:51 PM

They told you what it was like 45 minutes ago.

Oak Brook... about 100-120 people here, shortly before 3 p.m.

lord patton
Jun 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
They told you what it was like 45 minutes ago.

Oak Brook update: it's 4 now, and only about 30 more people in line now than an hour ago.

Probably 140 people total.

Apple wifi is slow. Lots of people on laptops here in line!

chicagoscott71
Jun 29, 2007, 04:03 PM
I am in line at 1101 s canal. about 25 people in line...not too bad here

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
Oak Brook update: it's 4 now, and only about 30 more people in line now than an hour ago.

Probably 140 people total.

Apple wifi is slow. Lots of people on laptops here in line!

Wow, my estimated headcounts were way off. I expected way more people. 140 people for 4pm is good news. I'm guessing that Apple Oak Brook has about 800-1200 in stock. They will probably have plenty to last them the whole weekend and maybe even a little bit of next week.

lord patton
Jun 29, 2007, 04:25 PM
Helicopters overhead at OakBrook. Another 15 people have arrived in the last half hour.

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
Wow, my estimated headcounts were way off. I expected way more people. 140 people for 4pm is good news. I'm guessing that Apple Oak Brook has about 800-1200 in stock. They will probably have plenty to last them the whole weekend and maybe even a little bit of next week.

i think after all my calls and contacts today that all stores other than Downtown, are getting 50-100..good luck everyone,

ChrisSamsa
Jun 29, 2007, 04:37 PM

My girlfriend just did a ballpark headcount, probably about 200-250

tonobrunel
Jun 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
just got o the apple store at 6 and get your iphone dont hesitate.

CaptSaltyJack
Jun 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
i think after all my calls and contacts today that all stores other than Downtown, are getting 50-100..good luck everyone,

uhh, you're mistaken. AT&T stores are getting 50-100. Apple stores are getting way more.

MacMan33
Jun 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
uhh, you're mistaken. AT&T stores are getting 50-100. Apple stores are getting way more.

time will tell, we will see the numbers in an hour...good luck all

lord patton
Jun 29, 2007, 05:10 PM
My girlfriend just did a ballpark headcount, probably about 200-250

yeah, it really picked up here recently. Glad I got here when I did.

bacsig
Jun 29, 2007, 08:51 PM
I went to the Buffalo Grove store on Dundee. At 4:30 when I arrived I was 41st in line. I got to the door of the store at 7 pm. When I came out a few minutes later they were telling those in the high 40s that the 8gb were almost out and they had a total of 60 of both kinds. THere were probably 85 people in line. THe store employees brought us water and were helpful but didn't give us any information until 6.

I guess we were a road hazard because I saw three accidents in front of the store while I was waiting. Drivers looking at us then running into each other.
Everyone in line was pleasant and it all went smoothly. Of course, I can say that because I got my 8 gig! I was going to order online but am I glad I didn't...2 weeks are too much to wait. Sitting in the sun, I even got a tan. All in all, not a bad afternoon. Now to play with my new iPhone.:p

Zolk
Jun 30, 2007, 12:08 AM
Anybody know if the North Michigan Ave. store still had iPhones available as of late tonight?
According to Apple's site, phones are available for tomorrow but I'm wondering if that's accurate.

brisully
Jun 30, 2007, 12:27 AM
I thought I would be sneaky and head to the Mokena AT&T store around 4:00. I got there at 4:15, and was about 25th in line or so, thinking I had a good shot at getting a phone. With one person in front of me to enter the store, they announced that they were out of the 8 GB model. I rushed over to the Orland Park store - both models were sold out. I called the Oakbrook Apple store, this was around 8:00, and they said that they were getting low on 4 GB, but had plenty of 8 GB. I asked how long the line was and they told me that there was no line! I raced to Oakbrook and was pointed to the back of the store whaere they rang me up and on my way in no time. They said they had "a ton" of phones in back, FYI. but this was at 8:30 or so.

ryano144
Jun 30, 2007, 03:20 AM
Anybody know if the North Michigan Ave. store still had iPhones available as of late tonight?
According to Apple's site, phones are available for tomorrow but I'm wondering if that's accurate.

I was there when the store closed (stopped in to play with one and wish I wasn't still on a college kids budget). There was a stack of them still behind the counter that was about 5 X 10 X 5, so about 250there, plus there could easily be more in a back room somewhere. It was a madhouse in there even at midnight.

jimjoebob
Jun 30, 2007, 03:37 AM
Found mine at irving park and harlem, just 5 miles west of me in logan square.
13th in line at 4:00pm. AWsome. Monique the manager counted 28 in line and said something like" Oh, were just going to make it." I don't think they had too many more than that.

gkarris
Jun 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
AT&T in Oak Park, at Harlem and Lake. 5:50pm local...

Line is in back by the parking lot, wrapping around the building. Pic of first guys in line...

Taken with my T-Mobile Windows Mobile Phone :p

cadillaccactus
Jun 30, 2007, 03:35 PM
http://www.blogyoulikeahurricane.com/2007/06/five-minues-before-iphone-launch-on.html

McCarron
Jul 2, 2007, 09:26 AM
My friend tried to return his iPhone today, no speaker, and was told all of Chicago-area stores have no more 8GB iPhones left.

MacMan33
Jul 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
My friend tried to return his iPhone today, no speaker, and was told all of Chicago-area stores have no more 8GB iPhones left.

from what i hear as well, all 8gigs are sold out adn very few 4gig left till mid to end of July

McCarron
Jul 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah makes sense, he said they ordered him an 8gb to the store and should take about 2-3 weeks.

meagain
Jul 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
This makes me sad. I only called the Oak Brook store. No 8's, and they had no clue when they'll get more. What are we thinking here? Weeks? Days?
And - I'd really like to see Amazon get it (no tax). Any speculation when that'll happen?

gkarris
Jul 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
And - I'd really like to see Amazon get it (no tax). Any speculation when that'll happen?

Never. Supposedly available only at AT&T Stores and the Apple Store.

meagain
Jul 30, 2007, 08:36 PM
If anyone in the area recently got a 7 series iPhone (tellable by typeing *3001#12345#* on the phone's dial pad and hitting 'call')..... Can you give me a heads up? Minimally, my husband's screen has white holes where light shoots out and he wants to try to make sure he gets a 7 series again. Thanks!

Resevdog
Aug 3, 2007, 10:00 AM
If anyone in the area recently got a 7 series iPhone (tellable by typeing *3001#12345#* on the phone's dial pad and hitting 'call')..... Can you give me a heads up? Minimally, my husband's screen has white holes where light shoots out and he wants to try to make sure he gets a 7 series again. Thanks!

I got one at Michigan Ave. It's perfect. Out of the box, no "white dots", no light leakage, great reception, activation took a total of 20 minutes from itunes startup to text message "Your iphone is Activated" including phone number migration. Wifi connected to WPA home network in a snap. Yahoo is pushing as well as can be expected. The only problem I'm having is my work pop email account, but I think it's server side issues.

Maybe I just got lucky. (knock on wood)

meagain
Aug 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
I had battery issues and went to Old Orchard. They swapped and I now own a gorgeous 7 series. I'm thrilled. Oak Brook had the 5 series as of a couple days ago.