PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Southern California

Pages : [1] 2

itsallinurhead
Jun 18, 2007, 03:18 PM
Where are you planing to pick up your iPhone?

att or apple store?

My local att said they didn't know if they would even be getting them on the 29th. :mad:

fcpguy
Jun 18, 2007, 04:09 PM
I haven't decided yet. I am leaning towards an AT&T store, but don't know which one yet. Which AT&T store did you call? I'm gonna wait until next week and call a bunch of them in my area to see who's getting them. Anyone else in LA or North Hollywood area have any info yet??

DMK
Jun 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
My closest Apple and AT&T store are in Pasadena even though I live across the border in the city of Los Angeles.

Will the the Apple Store folks be able to move my old cell phone number from an expired T-Mobile service agreement ? How does that work ? Do I have to have the phone and/or SIM card with me ? I've never done this before.

And if that can't be done, does purchasing an iPhone in Pasadena mean I have to get a 626 area code !??:eek:

fcpguy
Jun 18, 2007, 04:20 PM
I don't think anyone knows exactly how this is all gonna work. But I seriously doubt you will get a 626 code if you live in 323 or 213. I still have my old 818 number even though I'm 323 now, so I don't think it really matters anyway. Wow that's kinda confusing...hahaha

siurpeeman
Jun 18, 2007, 04:22 PM
this (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore) is where i plan to get my iphone. i'm in orange county. the nearest apple store is in brea, but it's busy enough as it is. and on the 29th? no way i'll be mixing with that crowd. and forget about being in an at&t store. i just can't stand being inside a cell phone store.

Will the the Apple Store folks be able to move my old cell phone number from an expired T-Mobile service agreement ? How does that work ? Do I have to have the phone and/or SIM card with me ? I've never done this before.

i don't even think at&t will be able to transfer your old number, seeing as you don't have a claim to it anymore.

killmoms
Jun 18, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'll be trying to get mine at the AT&T store in Burbank. :)

DMK
Jun 18, 2007, 05:19 PM
i don't even think at&t will be able to transfer your old number, seeing as you don't have a claim to it anymore.

sorry, i should have made myself clear. I still currently have a RAZR cell phone with a T-Mobile account. My one year contract has expired, so I am not subject to any cancellation fees when I want to switch plans/phones. I still pay T-Mobile.

My question is a general one. How do you get to keep your current number when you sign up with new service ? Will the Apple store cancel my T-Mobile account for me ? Do I need to call T-Mobile ahead of time? I assume I need to bring my current phone with me, but should I bring my T-Mobile bill with account info ? ... just wondering.

artalliance
Jun 18, 2007, 05:22 PM
Will the Apple store cancel my T-Mobile account for me ? Do I need to call T-Mobile ahead of time?

This is how it has worked in the past:
get new contract with AT&T. They will get in touch with your old provider and migrate the number for you.

applehero
Jun 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
Your new provider (at&t) will handle canceling your T-Mobile account and porting your number over. If you cancel with T-Mobile prior to going to at&t, they will not be able to port your number.

DMK
Jun 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
thanks for the info guys.

Furgster
Jun 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
i think i am going to go to the apple store in irvine or in newport beach but i think i am going to have to get there pretty early

mashinhead
Jun 19, 2007, 12:34 PM
My closest Apple and AT&T store are in Pasadena

And if that can't be done, does purchasing an iPhone in Pasadena mean I have to get a 626 area code !??:eek:

I'll be there too. You better not be a camper;) the moment one person starts sitting there on a thursday night people walking by will ask why they're there, and then.....:rolleyes: and i'm not camping. waste of time.

The apple and At&t stores are litterally a block apart in our area. you can see them from each other. I don't know which i'll go to, i think the apple store line will be longer, but i also think they'll have more stock.

oh and i think you can choose your area code. I did.

and i think if you are already a cingular customer you just buy it and go. put your sim in at home.

Furgster
Jun 20, 2007, 12:14 AM
anybody else from orange county? :D

McGarvels
Jun 20, 2007, 12:18 AM

Yup, live in Anaheim. I'm going to the Brea Mall Apple Store though, it's on the way home from work (which I'm leaving early to queue up). Which store you going to?

mugwump
Jun 20, 2007, 12:33 AM
Somewhere in west LA for me.

JTPRO
Jun 21, 2007, 01:25 AM

Yes! I live in Irvine. I am thinking either the Irvine Spectrum or South Coast Plaza. I just haven't decided yet. I will be there early though! :cool: I decided to take all of Friday off for this.. :p :D

-JT :apple:

janey
Jun 21, 2007, 01:26 AM
Somewhere in west LA for me.

me too! im thinking beverly center..probably not the grove ...torn. not going to an at&t store, gonna stick to apple.

Furgster
Jun 21, 2007, 01:36 AM
Yes! I live in Irvine. I am thinking either the Irvine Spectrum or South Coast Plaza. I just haven't decided yet. I will be there early though! :cool: I decided to take all of Friday off for this.. :p :D

hey i live in Irvine also! you better not steal my iphone hahha

siurpeeman
Jun 21, 2007, 02:08 AM

i was at the south coast store for the ipod mini release. it was madness; i couldn't believe how many people there were. of course, south coast and fashion island were the only two stores around, so things hopefully won't be so frantic. i'll be in brea for the iphone since i live 10 min away!

RBilRamZ
Jun 21, 2007, 02:20 AM
i think i am going to go to the apple store in irvine or in newport beach but i think i am going to have to get there pretty early

I live in Irvine, and cant figure out where to go either. The South Coast Plaza Apple store is about the busiest place and I can think of, and the Fashion Island store wont have any problem getting people that can afford the phone...

I sure wont be going to any ATT stores (is there anything worse than cell phone sales people? DMV maybe), so I am going ot take my chances at Fashion Island. At least there is a never ending supply of Orange County MILF's to help you pass the time in line... Honestly, living in the land of rich and materialistic will make getting an iPhone tough. I am definitely open to suggestions...

EDIT: Could there be any more people from Irvine on this post? Jeez, looks like a line is inevitable, just from us!

siurpeeman
Jun 21, 2007, 02:24 AM
I live in Irvine, and cant figure out where to go either. The South Coast Plaza Apple store is about the busiest place and I can think of, and the Fashion Island store wont have any problem getting people that can afford the phone...

I sure wont be going to any ATT stores (is there anything worse than cell phone sales people? DMV maybe), so I am going ot take my chances at Fashion Island. At least there is a never ending supply of Orange County MILF's to help you pass the time in line... Honestly, living in the land of rich and materialistic will make getting an iPhone tough. I am definitely open to suggestions...

EDIT: Could there be any more people from Irvine on this post? Jeez, looks like a line is inevitable, just from us!

you're right. i would really avoid south coast. it's just busy all the time. if you insist on going to an apple store, maybe mission viejo might work well. maybe?

JTPRO
Jun 21, 2007, 10:59 AM

Haha.. I think if we plan this right.. we will all get one. :cool:

RBilRamZ
Jun 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
Haha.. I think if we plan this right.. we will all get one. :cool:

Lets work toghether then. I dont get off work until 5:00, feel like holding a place in line?... ;)

KyleB
Jun 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Yup, live in Anaheim. I'm going to the Brea Mall Apple Store though, it's on the way home from work (which I'm leaving early to queue up). Which store you going to?

I live in La Mirada. I am either going to go to the AT&T store on Beach and Imperial, or the Brea Mall Apple store. I would prefer to go to the Apple store, but I am just wondering how Apple is going to handle family plans...

r4m3n
Jun 21, 2007, 01:51 PM

hollar!

I'm planning to go to the spectrum one...

Furgster
Jun 21, 2007, 01:58 PM
ya, i think i am going to go to the spectrum

Nagooya
Jun 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'll be at the Spectrum, too. Hey furgster, MUAHAHA i know you! Ha!:cool:

Furgster
Jun 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
I'll be at the Spectrum, too. Hey furgster, MUAHAHA i know you! Ha!:cool:

you dont know me!
(Z snap)

hahaha :D

Nagooya
Jun 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
Furgster is my brother. We plan to dominate iPhone gettage. MUAHAHA!

JTPRO
Jun 21, 2007, 05:54 PM
^^ I will see you guys at the Spectrum! I will be there as well.. :D

- JT :apple:

kevinwiz
Jun 21, 2007, 07:07 PM
oh my god why is everyone from irvine. i thought i was the only one :mad:

itsallinurhead
Jun 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone hitting the Victoria Gardens store? I plan on showing up at about 12.

Nagooya
Jun 21, 2007, 08:00 PM
Where is Victoria Garden's?

itsallinurhead
Jun 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
Where is Victoria Garden's?

Rancho Cucamonga. 909

tasslehawf
Jun 21, 2007, 08:23 PM
The apple and At&t stores are litterally a block apart in our area. you can see them from each other. I don't know which i'll go to, i think the apple store line will be longer, but i also think they'll have more stock.

Yeah. I live in Eagle Rock litterally between two apple stores and two ATT stores (both of which are across the street from eachother. I think I'm going to hit Pasadena tho. As far as which I'm going to I'm hoping there'll be more info on what they'll be able to offer at the Apple store. I would prefer to go there. I need to transfer my number. Cell phone stores always feel sleazy to me. But we'll see.

I worry that because the two stores are so close, they'll be about even for business.

macaddicted
Jun 21, 2007, 08:37 PM
Santa Clarita for me.

Three AT&T stores, but I ain't tellin' which one.;)

cyberdogl2
Jun 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
i was thinkin south coast but now i see a lot of you are going to spectrum. i didnt even know there was an apple store there. macrumors meet! we should coordinate.

Nagooya
Jun 21, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hahaha we should meet up! But they opened the Apple Store at the Spectrum a few month's ago, its rather new. (and small, kind of)

itsallinurhead
Jun 23, 2007, 04:04 PM
Anyone going to be camping the IE?

thejedipunk
Jun 23, 2007, 07:40 PM
Holla-ing from da'Vine as well. I don't think I'll pick one up, even if I don't need a new contract, but I'll hit up the Spectrum shoppe as well. I want to see all the fiasco go down involved with the favorite son of the cell phone gods.

Damnitshane1
Jun 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well, I live in between Temecula and Palm Desert, so I think I'm going to go to an AT&T store in either Palm Desert/Palm Springs. I figure that since Palm Springs is pretty much dead this time of year, there wont be too many people waiting in line to get one - well that and the 110+ degree weather.

rubberskinboy
Jun 24, 2007, 09:49 AM
Anyone going to be camping the IE?

I'll be planning on it for rancho cucamonga.... either camping out or getting there 2 days before.

voicegy
Jun 24, 2007, 12:07 PM
San Diego native here, probably a lot older than most of you lot (49) and Apple user since the Apple II days...but that's beside the point. I'm definitely getting an iPhone on June 29...here's some strategy I'm working on...

Although it would be WAY cool to be at the Fashion Valley store come Friday, we all know what a complete ZOO that's going to be, so while doing some research for what AT&T store may be the "best bet" for actually having a chance at getting one that night, I picked the Chula Vista mall AT&T store - I figure that most folks will relate the iPhone to "Apple" and head to UTC or FV, and might ignore the AT&T stores.

There's a lot of AT&T stores in town that will probably be carrying the phone (Scripps Ranch, La Jolla, Downtown SD, Mission Valley, etc.) but for my money, I would 'surmise' that the one in the mall at 555 Broadway in CV might be less crowded - or even the one in Santee.

So I'm taking Friday off. Get up early. Drive over to FV Mall Apple store to "see what's going on" at, say, 7 in the morning. (I don't think the mall would let anyone spend the previous night there.) If there's maybe 20 people there (conservitive estimate, I'm sure) I'll pitch my tent. If it's a madhouse, then go over to Chula Vista AT&T store.

Anyone else from San Diego can post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=314929&highlight=San+Diego

itsallinurhead
Jun 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'll be planning on it for rancho cucamonga.... either camping out or getting there 2 days before.

PMed you.

DMK
Jun 25, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah. I live in Eagle Rock litterally between two apple stores and two ATT stores (both of which are across the street from eachother. I think I'm going to hit Pasadena tho. As far as which I'm going to I'm hoping there'll be more info on what they'll be able to offer at the Apple store. I would prefer to go there. I need to transfer my number. Cell phone stores always feel sleazy to me. But we'll see.

I worry that because the two stores are so close, they'll be about even for business.

I live in Eagle Rock too. I don't think there are any AT&T stores there. The one that used to be a Cingular store is gone and the one across the street is just a sleasy cell phone franchise. I think Apple Store in old town Pasadena is your best bet.

iwork4ispot
Jun 25, 2007, 11:25 AM
Ah... I guess I'm just the lucky one who already has an iPhone :apple:

ostimu
Jun 25, 2007, 11:39 AM
I live in Silverlake, but I have 7:30 tickets to a concert at the Greek Theater that night. Not sure whether to chance trying to get the phone at the Apple Store at the Beverly Center (which is normally quiet -- the "forgotten" Apple Store), the Apple Store in Glendale, or possibly the AT&T store in Burbank that somebody mentioned. Pasadena is close, but I expect it to be crowded.

On second thought, I don't think I can stomach the AT&T store. Guess that leaves Beverly Center or Glendale. That is, if I think I can get there, buy the phone, and make it to the Greek by 7:30. That could be pretty tight...

I guess I'll have to read the updates on here about how fast the buying process is on the East Coast. If it's just wait in line, buy, go home and activate, it might work. I'd hate to keep Alison Krauss waiting!

dashiel
Jun 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
i was thinking the mission viejo store myself as there's an at&t store across the street. though i'm not waiting in line overnight or hours early. hopefully the price tag + contract requirements will keep demand somewhat more reasonable than the wii.

CaliKev
Jun 25, 2007, 12:40 PM
Apple on the Santa Monica Promenade. :) See you all there!

Kevin

ricosuave
Jun 25, 2007, 12:40 PM
Anyone hitting the Victoria Gardens store? I plan on showing up at about 12.

I'm your Huckleberry! ;)

I plan to make my appearance there. I live in Upland.

JTPRO
Jun 25, 2007, 12:46 PM
Any more people heading to the Irvine Spectrum? I haven't decided on a time yet.. but that is where I will be :) Look forward to seeing some of you there :D

itsallinurhead
Jun 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
I'm your Huckleberry! ;)

I plan to make my appearance there. I live in Upland.

What time do you plan on coming?

ricosuave
Jun 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
What time do you plan on coming?

After 2pm

Outsiderdude26
Jun 25, 2007, 01:48 PM
The at&t store in Studio City or the North Hollywood branch at&t just opened about two months ago.

fcpguy
Jun 25, 2007, 01:51 PM
The at&t store in Studio City or the North Hollywood branch at&t just opened about two months ago.

Just out of curiosity, which North Hollywood branch are you talking about

Outsiderdude26
Jun 25, 2007, 01:55 PM
The one on the corner of Lankershim Blvd & Oxnard St.

beate
Jun 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
Yay! No Ventura County so far...
Thousand Oaks Mall - Apple store or Pacific View Mall, Ventura - ATT
TO first then double back to Ventura if it's too insane.

fcpguy
Jun 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
The one on the corner of Lankershim Blvd & Oxnard St.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check that out. I was actually thinking either the one on Lankershim just south of the 101 or the one up on Laurel Canyon a bit. I don't know yet if either of them are actually getting them, but I plan on checking on it tomorrow or Wed.

Gm7Cadd9
Jun 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
I am hoping the Sherman Oaks store will stay under the radar... of course now posting this I am not too certain.

Sherman Oaks is closest to me, I think I'll take the day off work stay home and periodically drive by and scope out the scene.

http://www.apple.com/retail/shermanoaks/map/

anyone else?

-Roy

fcpguy
Jun 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
I am hoping the Sherman Oaks store will stay under the radar... of course now posting this I am not too certain.

Sherman Oaks is closest to me, I think I'll take the day off work stay home and periodically drive by and scope out the scene.

http://www.apple.com/retail/shermanoaks/map/

anyone else?

-Roy

Yeah Sherman Oaks is my back up plan.

Kingsly
Jun 25, 2007, 02:27 PM
Santa Clarita for me.

Three AT&T stores, but I ain't tellin' which one.;)
I was going to, er, one of them, but I think Apple store it more likely to have stock.
Not sure whether to chance trying to get the phone at the Apple Store at the Beverly Center (which is normally quiet -- the "forgotten" Apple Store)...
...exactly!
me too! im thinking beverly center..probably not the grove ...torn. not going to an at&t store, gonna stick to apple.
I'll see you at the Beverly Center. Grove will have a line around the block.

I have so many other people coming... we probably will be the line. :p :D

Mackie99
Jun 25, 2007, 02:27 PM
How about Riverside, CA. I'll be at the AT&T store on Tyler. Actually, the only place in town that I know of.:eek:

glennsan
Jun 25, 2007, 02:36 PM
How about Riverside, CA. I'll be at the AT&T store on Tyler. Actually, the only place in town that I know of.:eek:

Make sure you all go to a "CORPORATE" AT&T store. From what I read no franchise stores will be getting the iPhone. Good luck.

Glennsan

actionslacks
Jun 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'm in Eagle Rock also and can't decide between Glendale Mall and Pasadena. I already have AT&T so I figure Apple store is best. I'll pick up the phone and get out of there. I can transfer service over the phone I bet. Maybe just put my sim card in there? (anyone know?)

Glendale might be a little more low rent and have fewer buyers. I bought the first revision Aluminum Powerbook there the day the went on sale and not only were they they only ones that had not sold out at 7PM, they actually held one for me!

Syntell
Jun 25, 2007, 04:16 PM

Just called the NoHo branch on Lankershim and they said that they will not be getting any iphones on friday because they are on backorder. Better luck in Burbank

Jun 25, 2007, 04:56 PM
don't go to the brea one, they are not selling iPhones.:p

*secretly plans to go to Brea Apple Store

Padriac
Jun 25, 2007, 05:18 PM
As long as nobody unnecessarily starts a line way too early by camping or some other craziness it's all good. Show up after lunch on Friday: anything earlier is madness. There's people in line at the NYC store *right now*. This is stupid... there is no reason for that, there will be plenty if they get in even Friday morning. Don't be jackasses like those guys.

lifeseeker
Jun 25, 2007, 05:36 PM
I live on Catalina, but will be in Austin during the launch.

Anyone know if I can get the phone in Austin (512 area code), and have AT&T give me a 310 number. They are nationwide, after all.

rjlawrencejr
Jun 25, 2007, 06:11 PM
Actually, if all Apple stores have to do is ring up the sale, it could go pretty quickly since Apple uses hand held point of sale devices. They could probably do eight or 10 at a time if necessary. Even if you're person 100, you might get out within an hour.

actionslacks
Jun 25, 2007, 06:15 PM
I live on Catalina, but will be in Austin during the launch.

Anyone know if I can get the phone in Austin (512 area code), and have AT&T give me a 310 number. They are nationwide, after all.

My assumption so far is that as long as you are a current AT&T subscriber it should be pretty easy to switch. I bet you just buy the phone at the apple store (anywhere), log in to iTunes with your info, and pop in your old sim card. You should be able to do that from anywhere.

DMK
Jun 25, 2007, 06:28 PM
I'm in Eagle Rock also and can't decide between Glendale Mall and Pasadena. Glendale might be a little more low rent and have fewer buyers. I bought the first revision Aluminum Powerbook there the day the went on sale and not only were they they only ones that had not sold out at 7PM, they actually held one for me!

that's a good point about the Glendale Galleria. It's also indoors. Pasadena is going to be hitting above 80 degrees Friday.

actionslacks
Jun 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
that's a good point about the Glendale Galleria. It's also indoors. Pasadena is going to be hitting above 80 degrees Friday.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Damn. Why am I sharing again?

MrPunk2u
Jun 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
Hey all,

looking for someone to buddy up with or even a group with. I can do the Apple stores (I was told by an AT&T friend not to take my chances at their stores...) at Beverly Center/Santa Monica/Grove/Century City on Thursday night til 7am Friday morning then can come back and relieve people at 1:30pm Friday afternoon (DAMN 5 hours of work on iPhone day!)

let me know! Then if you want I can take you to a screening of Transformers on Saturday ;)

email me! mrpunk2u at gmail

s10
Jun 25, 2007, 06:46 PM
Planning for the Grove... live next door... will check out during the day what the situation is like... not planning to camp overnight, unless I can park my trailer in line...

tasslehawf
Jun 25, 2007, 07:13 PM

As much as I hate going to the glendale galleria...

MrEFord
Jun 25, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm hitting up the Rose Ave AT&T store pretty early on if any MR folks want to join me. Email/PM if you want to meet up.

-E

Padriac
Jun 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
Hey all,

looking for someone to buddy up with or even a group with. I can do the Apple stores (I was told by an AT&T friend not to take my chances at their stores...) at Beverly Center/Santa Monica/Grove/Century City on Thursday night til 7am Friday morning then can come back and relieve people at 1:30pm Friday afternoon (DAMN 5 hours of work on iPhone day!)

let me know! Then if you want I can take you to a screening of Transformers on Saturday ;)

email me! mrpunk2u at gmail

Anybody getting in line on Thusday = begging for harassment, being pelted with fruit from afar, me paying smelly bums to go sit on your lap, me paying teenagers to throw water baloons at you, and other harmless but annoying things. Be a champ and wait until Friday like a civilized human being. There is no need for Thursday shenanigans. 6 PM launch time is meant to avoid crap like that.

Vernexto
Jun 25, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yay! No Ventura County so far...
Thousand Oaks Mall - Apple store or Pacific View Mall, Ventura - ATT
TO first then double back to Ventura if it's too insane.

I'm headed to Thousand Oaks and planning to wait it out there. Bear in mind there is an AT&T store in Thousand Oaks (not far from the mall) in case things end up bad at the Apple store. Hope this helps.

actionslacks
Jun 25, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm now considering Apple Store Topanga. It's in a mall and never that crowded.

iRx7fani
Jun 25, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm in Anaheim, and I'm a teacher so we are off for the summer, I might go to a few at&t stores, let me know where you guys are maybe we'll run into each other! :)

ostimu
Jun 25, 2007, 07:50 PM

I just heard that the Apple Store at the Glendale Galleria will be closed on Friday for, uh, repairs. So don't anybody go there.

Vernexto
Jun 25, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm now considering Apple Store Topanga. It's in a mall and never that crowded.

I was thinking about this one, too. My only concern is if they won't let you line up INSIDE the mall (which they may not, considering the line would probably take over the entrances to the surrounding stores), the nearest entrance to the mall from the Apple store is pretty far away. It would be disappointing to wait outside all day and have people run in front of you once you all head in. Assuming that's how it goes down. But I agree that that Apple store is rarely even crowded, so it might be a good bet. The one is Northridge seems to be forgotten sometimes, too.

janey
Jun 25, 2007, 09:16 PM
...at Beverly Center/Santa Monica/Grove/Century City on Thursday night til 7am Friday morning...
oh you're nuts :p

i'm probably going to take my chances at beverly center only because it's indoors and ...indoors. i'm not even sure i want to line up at all..

dog352
Jun 25, 2007, 10:18 PM
where is the best place to go near Torrance? Am I better off going to an Apple store or an ATT store?

theadrianman
Jun 26, 2007, 12:59 AM
I'm in Anaheim, and I'm a teacher so we are off for the summer, I might go to a few at&t stores, let me know where you guys are maybe we'll run into each other! :)

Anaheim hills represent!! hahaha... this is goign to be crazy... i'll try my luck at scp

Mercury
Jun 26, 2007, 01:00 AM
You guys are hardcore. I'm waiting for plan pricing details. :)

escapedreams
Jun 26, 2007, 01:18 AM
Of all the LA stores I am going to Beverly Center. Every other store is crowded on a normal day. I would never try The Grove or 3rd Street Prominade. Bevelry Center is always quiet and has really cool people that work there. There's open space in front (where people always sit stealing wifi) so a line wouldn't block other busiensses and getting a phone would be no problem.

Maybe I'm there too much but this store is perfect. Anyone else would like to meet up there?

http://www.apple.com/retail/beverlycenter/map/

I also heard that AT&T stores wont get much shipment b/c there's so many of them to share with it's impossible to send more than a few units. Go to a real Apple store.

macidiot
Jun 26, 2007, 02:03 AM

I'm with you. I'm still waiting for sub pricing details. How retarded is it that they haven't released the details yet? One has to wonder why it is such a secret.

Still, I'm going to hit up the AT&T store on wilshire in sm on Friday. I'm getting a new phone no matter what... hopefully the iPhone, but if they decide to rape people on the monthly, I'm going with the cheapest pos phone I can get, then going down the street and picking up a real phone (ie., unlocked non-us market phone). 2 megapixels? Well hello US phone carriers! :p

But hey, it'd be nice to meet some macrumors people on Friday. I'll be the one with the mbp hanging from my neck like Flava Flav... ;)

macidiot
Jun 26, 2007, 02:12 AM
Of all the LA stores I am going to Beverly Center. Every other store is crowded on a normal day. I would never try The Grove or 3rd Street Prominade. Bevelry Center is always quiet and has really cool people that work there. There's open space in front (where people always sit stealing wifi) so a line wouldn't block other busiensses and getting a phone would be no problem.

Maybe I'm there too much but this store is perfect. Anyone else would like to meet up there?

http://www.apple.com/retail/beverlycenter/map/

I also heard that AT&T stores wont get much shipment b/c there's so many of them to share with it's impossible to send more than a few units. Go to a real Apple store.

ugh, the problem with bev center is that traffic on Friday, 4-7pm will be a bitch. Actually, same applies to the Grove. And both places charge for parking... pet peeve of mine.

TheAnswer
Jun 26, 2007, 02:20 AM
where is the best place to go near Torrance? Am I better off going to an Apple store or an ATT store?

No one has mentioned the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach yet, so I'd think you would have pretty good luck there.

beate
Jun 26, 2007, 03:50 AM

I'm hitting this forum at 3pm.
Should be posts from the East Coast as to pricing - and all the other debated topics. I plan to be somewhat informed when I purchase.
If it's "trample time" out there I'll stay put and order online.
If data plans are $50 or any of the rumors re changing plans are correct (I have 400 more minutes that the current plan for same price)...I'll just stick my head in the oven.

escapedreams
Jun 26, 2007, 04:02 AM
ugh, the problem with bev center is that traffic on Friday, 4-7pm will be a bitch. Actually, same applies to the Grove. And both places charge for parking... pet peeve of mine.

True dat. I think you can find free parking on some of the residential streets around the mall if you get there at the right time. But there's no overnight in Beverly Hills. I think the max to park in the garage is around $8. The Grove is much higher.

If you get there early, here's a fun guide ( but I think a few items on there are dated. )
http://gridskipper.com/travel/los-angeles/ultimate-iphone-campout-guide-beverly-center-los-angeles-270703.php

MrPunk2u
Jun 26, 2007, 12:05 PM
Anybody getting in line on Thusday = begging for harassment, being pelted with fruit from afar, me paying smelly bums to go sit on your lap, me paying teenagers to throw water baloons at you, and other harmless but annoying things. Be a champ and wait until Friday like a civilized human being. There is no need for Thursday shenanigans. 6 PM launch time is meant to avoid crap like that.

the mall closes at 9 so if you go after that, it'll be fine. So when you show up at 6pm and there's no phone for you, I'll be paying bums to laff at you.

fcpguy
Jun 26, 2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone else here interviewed for this LA times article about the iPhone plan of attack on Friday?? It's a good read. I spoke with David last week for my bit and he found me on here, so I figured there must be a few others on here that did the same.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-strategy26jun26,1,4015036.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=2&cset=true

itsallinurhead
Jun 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
Anyone else here interviewed for this LA times article about the iPhone plan of attack on Friday?? It's a good read. I spoke with David last week for my bit and he found me on here, so I figured there must be a few others on here that did the same.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-strategy26jun26,1,4015036.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=2&cset=true

Can you post the article? You have to login at that link.

Kingsly
Jun 26, 2007, 01:36 PM
i'm probably going to take my chances at beverly center only because it's indoors and ...indoors. i'm not even sure i want to line up at all..

Awww, c'mon janey. It'll be fun! :p :D

actionslacks
Jun 26, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not going to line up I've decided. I'll go to a store at maybe 5 O'clock and if i get one great, if not, I'll order or try another day.

Does anyone know if Apple has said how many they will allow each person to buy?

janey
Jun 26, 2007, 04:19 PM

Haha :) I talked to him too, and so did my ex (he's the guy with 25 cellphones...).
Awww, c'mon janey. It'll be fun! :p :D
So many people here are gonna wait at beverly center :(
Although it would be fun if all the MacRumors people hung out together so it wouldn't be much of a problem to take bathroom breaks or get food for everyone or whatever...too many people :mad:
Plus I can walk to Century City and save the $ for parking and not have to deal with traffic...

Can you post the article? You have to login at that link.
bugmenot.com (http://bugmenot.com) is your friend.

Nagooya
Jun 26, 2007, 05:02 PM
So i take it no one wants to go to The Grove? I don't blame you, that place is usually packed as it it...

janey
Jun 26, 2007, 05:11 PM
So i take it no one wants to go to The Grove? I don't blame you, that place is usually packed as it it...

Actually the grove isnt too bad. but being indoors means AC, nobody lining up Thursday night...

itsallinurhead
Jun 26, 2007, 06:08 PM
Hmm, with the recent update to AT&Ts website it appears my local store will have them. :D

fcpguy
Jun 26, 2007, 06:12 PM
Crap, the 2 AT&T stores I was targeting in North Hollywood aren't on the list....there's only one up on Lankershim. Going up there after work to scope it out....I thought that I was definitely going to an AT&T store, but now it looks like I may just go to the sherman oaks apple store.

Katmyth
Jun 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'll be either at the ATT store in Woodland Hills (if I drive by and there's no much of a line I'll go there) or else the Topanga mall Apple store. As a backup, the Encino ATT store is supposed to get them... and they're never too busy :) I'm not planning to line up more than a couple hours early though, can't take time off work!

Outsiderdude26
Jun 26, 2007, 06:47 PM
I just check the at&t 'Find a Store' page and it states the that new at&t store on the corner of Lankershim and Oxnard will, indeed carry the iPhone on Friday.

Just a heads up.

actionslacks
Jun 26, 2007, 07:24 PM
Has anyone heard any information on #s of iPhones that stores will have available? On the one hand i think they will all sell out extremely fast, but on the other hand they may be shooting for some kind of record sales figure and they will have quite a few at major Apple stores. I mean they have had plenty of time to stockpile if they wanted.

mashinhead
Jun 26, 2007, 08:40 PM

i was actually contacted by this guy through email but he never called though i gave him my number

Mercury
Jun 26, 2007, 10:23 PM

Just avoid the freeways and it won't be too bad—I usually just park behind Ross across from the Grove. I can just take San Vicente all the way to the Grove or Beverly.

Now that the plan pricing is out, I'm definitely going to be there at 6, but I don't know about earlier.

NewtypeCJ
Jun 26, 2007, 10:26 PM
Has anyone heard any information on #s of iPhones that stores will have available? On the one hand i think they will all sell out extremely fast, but on the other hand they may be shooting for some kind of record sales figure and they will have quite a few at major Apple stores. I mean they have had plenty of time to stockpile if they wanted.

I'm wondering this as well. I'll be in SoCal for a thing going on in Long Beach (Anime Expo--Anyone else gonna be there?). I was thinking I'd mosey over to the Manhattan Beach Apple Store Friday evening (I REALLY don't want to wait in line). But...it's not gonna be worth it if they're gonna be out of stock in an hour. :'(

spinedo1
Jun 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
I am willing to wait in line for you for the new iphone. We all know there are going to be selling out and if you're unable to wait in line I will be there for you.

Contact me at spinedo1@yahoo.com

Kingsly
Jun 27, 2007, 12:48 AM
So many people here are gonna wait at beverly center :(
Although it would be fun if all the MacRumors people hung out together so it wouldn't be much of a problem to take bathroom breaks or get food for everyone or whatever...too many people :mad:
Plus I can walk to Century City and save the $ for parking and not have to deal with traffic...

Ah well... if you decide to join us, we'll be the semi large group (I think) with all kinds on entertainment, including a PSP, MacBook, and an iPod boombox. :D

Just look for the guy in the BTS (http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/) shirt. :p ;) :D

Jun 27, 2007, 12:55 AM
Is anyone going to Brea? I have senior pictures that day and wont be able to get there til 4pm.

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 01:12 AM
Ah well... if you decide to join us, we'll be the semi large group (I think) with all kinds on entertainment, including a PSP, MacBook, and an iPod boombox. :D

Just look for the guy in the BTS (http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/) shirt. :p ;) :D

ahh will do, I guess I'll go to beverly center then. :p

and i suppose i'll wear my wwdc shirt or something...

B-Ri
Jun 27, 2007, 01:13 AM
anyone in the mission laguna aliso area?

hojoon0724
Jun 27, 2007, 01:15 AM
Is anybody wondering how the lining up is going to work at shopping malls?

Like for Glendale and Beverly Center, they aren't open 24/7. How's the camping out working?

Probably the only place that I can think to camp out is Santa Monica 3rd st promenade.

Other than that, I don't know which apple store you can line up days in advance.

Anyone have an idea?

PS: I'm also looking for a partner to line up anywhere available beginning on Thursday around midnight

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 01:31 AM
Is anybody wondering how the lining up is going to work at shopping malls?...
Possibly Grove and Century City as well, off the top of my head. They're in outdoor malls, not sure though. Third Street Promenade is definitely one that's outside outside though, as well as Pasadena.

No camping out at Beverly Center, but that's the one I'm thinking about going to, and I'm not the only one in this thread, we could all get together in line :D

It just means less hassle, no? Just get to the mall before it opens, wait at an entrance, and go when they're open to wait in line. Sleep tight at home the night before :p

hojoon0724
Jun 27, 2007, 01:49 AM
I don't know. Is the hype only for New York City's 5th Ave store.

It seems that everyone else is just taking it easy and trying to line up in the morning.

It kinda seems to be that everyone in the west is a bit less anxious
BTW, I'm in LA for the summer. I'm from NYC - the 5th ave store is ALWAYS crowded full of tourists and buyers.

I guess it's kinda expected for NYC

Kingsly
Jun 27, 2007, 01:51 AM
Possibly Grove and Century City as well, off the top of my head. They're in outdoor malls, not sure though. Third Street Promenade is definitely one that's outside outside though, as well as Pasadena.

No camping out at Beverly Center, but that's the one I'm thinking about going to, and I'm not the only one in this thread, we could all get together in line :D

It just means less hassle, no? Just get to the mall before it opens, wait at an entrance, and go when they're open to wait in line. Sleep tight at home the night before :p
I don't think I'll be there until around 12 or so... I figure if worse comes to worse, I'll just whip out the MB and order online. :D

...I wonder if anyone would hold a spot in line for me... :p

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 01:52 AM
I don't think I'll be there until around 12 or so... I figure if worse comes to worse, I'll just whip out the MB and order online. :D

...I wonder if anyone would hold a spot in line for me... :p

We should hold spots for each other. :p

I was thinking about getting there a couple hours after that...I'm in no particular rush. Definitely taking my MacBook though, just in case I should order online.

hojoon0724
Jun 27, 2007, 02:01 AM

Uh.. I don't think this would be too smart.
You can piss people off and if there's security, you might be sent to the back of the line.

I say we all get together early in the morning and stay together for god knows what might happen.
Or we might entertain each other.
Or we can isolate ourselves even more from society by plugging our ipods and/or talking to other people far away on our cell phones, even though there are people right next to you, probably doing the same thing you are.

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 02:03 AM
Uh.. I don't think this would be too smart.
You can piss people off and if there's security, you might be sent to the back of the line.
i know :(
wonder how early the mall opens...although I'm not very interested in getting up just to wait in line all day..

nicoritschel
Jun 27, 2007, 03:11 AM
anyone in the mission laguna aliso area?

I'm in san clemente, but will definitely be heading over to the apple store in the mission mall!

smccostlin
Jun 27, 2007, 03:54 AM
All of these posts are in the greater LA area, and I must be the only one that is in the middle of nowhere buying an iPhone! GREAT! That means I will be one of the few and the proud to say I got one out of all the people in Bako. :-D

mav
Jun 27, 2007, 07:39 AM
I called Beverly Center's and The Grove's security offices yesterday to see how they will handle Friday.

The security director at Beverly Center stated that no overnight camping will be allowed. Waiting indoors by the Apple store will not be allowed either. They will have everyone form a line outside the mall on Beverly Blvd starting at 8am. Around 5PM, they will escort everyone from the line to the Apple store inside.

Security at The Grove stated that they do not allow overnight campers either. They suggest coming around 10am when the Apple store opens to get in line, not before because security will ask you to leave.

I'm calling Century City today to see what their plans are.

dashiel
Jun 27, 2007, 11:06 AM
just out of curiosity, when was the last time apple released a consumer product that sold out? i know their supply chain management for computers has slipped a few times since jobs returned (though certainly nothing as bad as the dark years), but i can't recall a time when a consumer product was sold out.

i guess the 2nd gen shuffle was hard to come by for a while, but the nano, the mini, the video ipod? i've never had a problem walking in and picking one up.

i'm not sure that line-ups are necessary is all i'm saying.

B-Ri
Jun 27, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm in san clemente, but will definitely be heading over to the apple store in the mission mall!

i dunno whether to go there or an ATT store.

ostimu
Jun 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
just out of curiosity, when was the last time apple released a consumer product that sold out? i know their supply chain management for computers has slipped a few times since jobs returned (though certainly nothing as bad as the dark years), but i can't recall a time when a consumer product was sold out.

i guess the 2nd gen shuffle was hard to come by for a while, but the nano, the mini, the video ipod? i've never had a problem walking in and picking one up.

i'm not sure that line-ups are necessary is all i'm saying.

I had the same thought. When I bought my video iPod almost two years ago -- the week it came out -- the Grove was sold out of the 60GB model (the largest at the time). That was the closest I came to being unable to get something. There were big lines when I bought my 3G iPod at the newly-opened SoHo store in NY, but everybody in line got one. (And yes, I'm sure tomorrow's lines will crush the release of the 3G iPod.)

Maybe I'm kidding myself because I'm not planning to arrive anywhere before 4:30 or 5, but I think they'll have huge numbers in stock, particularly in NY, LA, and San Francisco, where their largest markets live. The lines will be big, but I think if you show up Friday, you'll get a phone. If you're at the end of that line, worst case is that you might get stuck with a 4GB. (Is anybody going to buy a 4GB?!)

B-Ri
Jun 27, 2007, 12:39 PM
i want the 8gb, with the OS taking 700mb it seems, i need the space.

Jun 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Is there anyway someone could save me a spot intel 4pm at any of the the Pasadena, Glendale, or Brea apple stores?

mav
Jun 27, 2007, 01:08 PM
I just called Century City.

They will allow people to start lining up Friday morning around 10am when the Apple store opens. They told me to go to the front of the Apple store and security will be present there to further direct me where to go to line up.

Kingsly
Jun 27, 2007, 01:10 PM

I was thinking about getting there a couple hours after that...I'm in no particular rush. Definitely taking my MacBook though, just in case I should order online.
Good plan. ;) :cool:

Or we might entertain each other.

If that other poster is right about the BevCenter's plans, we'll NEED to entertain each other! I don't want to wait outside on beverly blvd.! Jeez... this negates the entire reason of going to that store, I may as well go to the grove. :(

New plan, I call Apple store tomorrow and post their final plans. It's either Grove or BevCenter for me right now in light of this new news.

Or we can isolate ourselves even more from society by plugging our ipods and/or talking to other people far away on our cell phones, even though there are people right next to you, probably doing the same thing you are.

Okay, here's what we do: Everyone bring a portable computer. We'll create a local network and all iChat via Bonjour. :p :D

actionslacks
Jun 27, 2007, 01:12 PM
Is there anyway someone could save me a spot intel 4pm at any of the the Pasadena, Glendale, or Brea apple stores?

I've never stood in line for a product launch, but I would imagine that saving someone a spot is likely to get you thrown out or assaulted by the rest of the crowd.

Especially when people have been baking in the Pasadena sun all day and you show up at the last minute trying to snake your way in. :(

Padriac
Jun 27, 2007, 01:58 PM
I called Beverly Center's and The Grove's security offices yesterday to see how they will handle Friday.

The security director at Beverly Center stated that no overnight camping will be allowed. Waiting indoors by the Apple store will not be allowed either. They will have everyone form a line outside the mall on Beverly Blvd starting at 8am. Around 5PM, they will escort everyone from the line to the Apple store inside.

Security at The Grove stated that they do not allow overnight campers either. They suggest coming around 10am when the Apple store opens to get in line, not before because security will ask you to leave.

I'm calling Century City today to see what their plans are.

Awesome. Camping should be banned at all stores. FYI: while 3rd St. Promenade is outdoor they have STRICT rules about loitering after hours (due to the incredible amount of bums) and thus no overnight camping/sleeping of any sort is allowed. Security is very tight there.

mav
Jun 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
Holding or saving spots for others is just asking for trouble IMO.

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 04:33 PM
If that other poster is right about the BevCenter's plans, we'll NEED to entertain each other! I don't want to wait outside on beverly blvd.! Jeez... this negates the entire reason of going to that store, I may as well go to the grove. :(
You know, I'm not very happy with that. I'd rather go to the grove because there is no part outside the beverly center I feel like waiting at for a few hours. I guess I should call to verify or something but...

Holding or saving spots for others is just asking for trouble IMO.
yes, thanks for saying that, I already know, I knew before I posted that comment, and I didn't expect to get flamed by everyone and their mother for it. i've waited in lots of lines before (product launch, store opening, keynotes :D ) and although i have yet to see anyone really care about saving spots when there aren't a lot of people waiting, security started to care if you were near the front and did it when the line starts to snake around the block.
FYI: while 3rd St. Promenade is outdoor they have STRICT rules about loitering after hours (due to the incredible amount of bums) and thus no overnight camping/sleeping of any sort is allowed. Security is very tight there.
Ah yikes, I forgot about that. However someone I know camped overnight for the 3rd street promenade store opening and was first to enter the store and didn't have much of a problem doing so (i think?)...

rjwill246
Jun 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
I am going to go to the ATT store off Bristol, Newport Beach. It is a smaller store and less likely to be over-run. I have a family plan and need to change our phone numbers to a 949 area code. Exciting day.

damienvfx
Jun 27, 2007, 05:18 PM
I just called Century City.

They will allow people to start lining up Friday morning around 10am when the Apple store opens. They told me to go to the front of the Apple store and security will be present there to further direct me where to go to line up.

Thanks for the info! Mav, are you going to CC? If so look for me around that time. I'll be the guy in the Oakland A's hat.

Kingsly
Jun 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
You know, I'm not very happy with that. I'd rather go to the grove because there is no part outside the beverly center I feel like waiting at for a few hours. I guess I should call to verify or something but...

I plan on calling the Apple store Beverly Center tomorrow to get their final plans for iPhone Day™ and post them here.

If the story about the Beverly Center is true,, however, then I suggest we move the party to the Grove... especially after the MR story about flagship stores getting 1000 or more iPhones. :)

actionslacks
Jun 27, 2007, 06:44 PM
I plan on calling the Apple store Beverly Center tomorrow to get their final plans for iPhone Day™ and post them here.

If the story about the Beverly Center is true,, however, then I suggest we move the party to the Grove... especially after the MR story about flagship stores getting 1000 or more iPhones. :)

Yes I've changed my mind and decided i will probably line up. And I too believe that the Grove will probably have the biggest supply. Unless there are 1000 people there at 10Am, i might just give it a shot.

mav
Jun 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info! Mav, are you going to CC? If so look for me around that time. I'll be the guy in the Oakland A's hat.

Not sure yet. I'm think of going to either The Grove or Century City. I'm going to call both Apple stores late tomorrow afternoon to see if they have formal plans in place yet and then decide.

Kingsly
Jun 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm going to call both Apple stores late tomorrow afternoon to see if they have formal plans in place yet and then decide.

Post your results!!

macidiot
Jun 27, 2007, 07:46 PM
I had the same thought. When I bought my video iPod almost two years ago -- the week it came out -- the Grove was sold out of the 60GB model (the largest at the time). That was the closest I came to being unable to get something. There were big lines when I bought my 3G iPod at the newly-opened SoHo store in NY, but everybody in line got one. (And yes, I'm sure tomorrow's lines will crush the release of the 3G iPod.)

Maybe I'm kidding myself because I'm not planning to arrive anywhere before 4:30 or 5, but I think they'll have huge numbers in stock, particularly in NY, LA, and San Francisco, where their largest markets live. The lines will be big, but I think if you show up Friday, you'll get a phone. If you're at the end of that line, worst case is that you might get stuck with a 4GB. (Is anybody going to buy a 4GB?!)

I'm thinking I'm going to get the 4gb. I already have a 60gb ipod. So, 8gb is only slightly less useless than 4gb. Honestly, I'm not all that interested in the ipod part of the phone. Unless there is some other difference other than capacity, I don't see why someone wouldn't get the 4gb.

ajhill
Jun 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
No one has mentioned the Apple Store in Manhattan Beach yet, so I'd think you would have pretty good luck there.

You'll have company at the Manhattan Beach Store :cool:

I'll be there Friday!

macidiot
Jun 27, 2007, 08:05 PM
Just avoid the freeways and it won't be too bad—I usually just park behind Ross across from the Grove. I can just take San Vicente all the way to the Grove or Beverly.

Now that the plan pricing is out, I'm definitely going to be there at 6, but I don't know about earlier.

well, for me san vicente goes from nowhere to... nowhere. And Fairfax, 3rd and Beverly all suck during rush hour.

Nope, looks like I'm sticking to Santa Monica... traffic there is nothing compared to La Cienaga or Fairfax.

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 08:11 PM
well, for me san vicente goes from nowhere to... nowhere. And Fairfax, 3rd and Beverly all suck during rush hour.

Nope, looks like I'm sticking to Santa Monica... traffic there is nothing compared to La Cienaga or Fairfax.
if you get there a few hours before 6pm, traffic would be an almost-non-issue compared to possibly parking at the grove.
i usually take pico -> robertson -> 3rd and never run into the same traffic I do if I take the 10, exit on fairfax and take fairfax up to the grove.

as for santa monica..parking's always scarce, sigh.

macidiot
Jun 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
if you get there a few hours before 6pm, traffic would be an almost-non-issue compared to possibly parking at the grove.
i usually take pico -> robertson -> 3rd and never run into the same traffic I do if I take the 10, exit on fairfax and take fairfax up to the grove.

as for santa monica..parking's always scarce, sigh.

hmm, that does seem like a pretty good route. Pico usually moves, along with Olympic.

I'm not sure what you mean about Santa Monica though, there are 6 six story parking structures around the Promenade, plus the mall garage. I've never had a problem finding parking there. Unless you mean street parking, which is pretty scarce. But why would you want to feed a meter when the garages cost so little?

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 08:26 PM
hmm, that does seem like a pretty good route. Pico usually moves, along with Olympic.

I'm not sure what you mean about Santa Monica though, there are 6 six story parking structures around the Promenade, plus the mall garage. I've never had a problem finding parking there. Unless you mean street parking, which is pretty scarce. But why would you want to feed a meter when the garages cost so little?

yeah, i live in west la, it's the fastest non-freeway route for me that doesn't involve taking side streets.

and on quiet days it's easy to find parking in the structures or at the mall, but on weekends and busy times and special events, sometimes I go to two or three structures to look for parking. Can't find one, for some reason. I'm around there often, usually for lunch or shopping and other things, but..

mashinhead
Jun 27, 2007, 08:50 PM
line started in pasadena, just drove by and saw two people camped out in front of the apple store, none at at&t though. What's wrong with this country, i mean i want an iphone as much as the next guy but this whole camping out **** is really getting old.

mashinhead
Jun 27, 2007, 09:03 PM
just out of curiosity, when was the last time apple released a consumer product that sold out?

the real question is when was the last time apple released a consumer product that people would camp out for?

What's different for this is not the demand for this apple product vs others. Most apple products are released the same day they are put up for sale. Not 6 months in advance. There is no pre announcement hype, no time for lines. If this was done with the next powerbook and ipod you would see the same kind of public interest. People have lined up outside of apple store openings, but not for apple products before. So to me your argument doesn't hold up.

janey
Jun 27, 2007, 09:08 PM
People have lined up outside of apple store openings, but not for apple products before.
yes they have. i remember lining up for apple store openings, the 3rd gen iPod and jaguar and panther. the lines were pretty long too, at the grove for the panther launch (vaguely recall that though), it was all the way from the apple store straight down in the direction of farmers market past where the grove ends and where farmers market begins, and curved around so people didn't wait in the middle of the street.

fcpguy
Jun 27, 2007, 09:47 PM
line started in pasadena, just drove by and saw two people camped out in front of the apple store, none at at&t though. What's wrong with this country, i mean i want an iphone as much as the next guy but this whole camping out **** is really getting old.

Wow are you serious?!?! That's nutty. I'm glad I decided to not go to that one....I guess I'm not too surprised though, I figured that would be the one store that people might camp out in front of because of location. I'm am now trying to decide between the sherman oaks apple store or the at&t store on Lankershim.

cheesy
Jun 28, 2007, 12:00 AM
I called the LA Apple Stores an hour ago to find out when we can start lining up:

Grove: 7:00am Fri (as required by the Grove)
Century City: 8:00am Fri
Beverly Center: 10:00am Fri (but she didn't sound like she knew what she was talking about)

spinedo1
Jun 28, 2007, 12:09 AM
I am taking someone with me to wait in line and will be buying two iphones. If anyone wants to reserve one through me just contact me and I will deliver the iphone to you anywhere in the Inland Empire, or O.C. or will meet you anywhere near those areas.

spinedo1@yahoo.com

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 12:33 AM
Is nobody going to the Glendale Galleria?

It's the first Apple store ever. How could you not go there?

BTW, I don't blame you. It has become a really terrible place.
And don't even get me started on parking.

dog352
Jun 28, 2007, 03:25 AM
I'm planning on going to the Manhattan Beach store. Does anybody know where and when we can start lining up since the apple store is inside the mall?

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 03:57 AM
I'm planning on going to the Manhattan Beach store. Does anybody know where and when we can start lining up since the apple store is inside the mall?

yeah.. i asked this before.
It looks like some places (like bev centre) is going to make people line up outside.
But as far as I know, the shops that are inside a mall will be most likely to host a massive crowd in an unorganized way.
I wanna bet money that as soon as the doors open, people will run like the Armageddon is coming and rush towards the Apple store injuring if not killing somebody.

Of course, this scenario is given that there is no crowd control security, which is very highly unlikely if not impossible. :D :D

mashinhead
Jun 28, 2007, 04:50 AM

It's the first Apple store ever.

no it's not, the first apple store was in va. i thought

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 10:07 AM
no it's not, the first apple store was in va. i thought

Both Glendale and one in VA opened at the same time on 2001

delioninsyd
Jun 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
So I plan to wait at the pasadena apple store but everyday I pass colorado it seems that the line keeps getting longer. Does any1 plan on waiting in pasadena for the phone. I dont want to look like an @ss in old town.

Oogami
Jun 28, 2007, 11:01 AM
I'm wondering this as well. I'll be in SoCal for a thing going on in Long Beach (Anime Expo--Anyone else gonna be there?). I was thinking I'd mosey over to the Manhattan Beach Apple Store Friday evening (I REALLY don't want to wait in line). But...it's not gonna be worth it if they're gonna be out of stock in an hour. :'(

Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who will be ditching (at least temporarily) Anime Expo in order to get in line for the iPhone.

I'm probably going to hit the Manhattan Beach store as it seems the closest to the Long Beach Convention Center.

I see there's a few other people from the forums who will be at that particular store as well.

The closest other store is the one in Costa Mesa but only by a few minutes according to google maps.

jmcarson3
Jun 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
So I plan to wait at the pasadena apple store but everyday I pass colorado it seems that the line keeps getting longer. Does any1 plan on waiting in pasadena for the phone. I dont want to look like an @ss in old town.

I will be waiting either there (pasadena Apple Store) or at the AT&T store starting around noon or 1 tomorrow... can't see spending more than half a day in line.

actionslacks
Jun 28, 2007, 12:50 PM

I might, but it's supposed to be 94 degrees in Pasadena. FWIW - I talked to someone there yesterday and when i asked how many they would get he said "i don't know but they cleared out a ton of room in the back".

If i go to that store, it won't be until 4PM or so when the sun is not beating down on me.

Kingsly
Jun 28, 2007, 12:59 PM
I talked to someone there yesterday and when i asked how many they would get he said "i don't know but they cleared out a ton of room in the back".

The Apple Store two per person rule makes me think that they're going to have a ton of handsets available for launch. I think all of our chances increased significantly. :)

actionslacks
Jun 28, 2007, 01:57 PM
The Apple Store two per person rule makes me think that they're going to have a ton of handsets available for launch. I think all of our chances increased significantly. :)

I agree. I change my strategy every 5 minutes, but my latest plan is to show up around 3-4. I think that's early enough that I won't get shut out, but i won't lose my whole day.

mav
Jun 28, 2007, 02:36 PM
I just called the Apple stores and mall security to see what time would be the earliest possible times to start lining up for the iPhone tomorrow.

The Grove - 7am confirmed by Apple and The Grove mall security
Beverly Center - Apple said 10am, Bev Center mall security said 8am on Beverly Blvd
Century City - 8am confirmed by Apple and Century City mall security

They all stated that overnight camping will not be allowed and overnight campers "will be removed."

TheAnswer
Jun 28, 2007, 02:49 PM
I just called the Apple stores and mall security to see what time would be the earliest possible times to start lining up for the iPhone tomorrow.

The Grove - 7am confirmed by Apple and The Grove mall security...

They all stated that overnight camping will not be allowed and overnight campers "will be removed."

Just a note...at the Grove, you can start hanging out at the Farmer's Market next door as soon as Starbucks opens (which I think is either 4:30 or 5). You if you really want to, you can get there at around 5am and walk to the Apple Store around 7am.

dashiel
Jun 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
the real question is when was the last time apple released a consumer product that people would camp out for?

What's different for this is not the demand for this apple product vs others. Most apple products are released the same day they are put up for sale. Not 6 months in advance. There is no pre announcement hype, no time for lines. If this was done with the next powerbook and ipod you would see the same kind of public interest. People have lined up outside of apple store openings, but not for apple products before. So to me your argument doesn't hold up.

that's a fair point, but not wholly accurate. many apple products are pre-announced by weeks or even months. the appleTV and airport extreme being just the two most recent.

i guess we'll find out tomorrow when i show up at 6ish.

Kingsly
Jun 28, 2007, 04:16 PM
Okay so I called the Beverly Center and the Grove.

Beverly Center: Line starts anytime at the escalator on Beverly Blvd. Around 2 or so the mall is going to pass out wristbands and then at 6 will escort people to the Apple Store.

Grove: Line starts @ 7. At 6, people get to go in. Simple.

So... I think I will be at the Grove. I don't want to wait on Beverly for hours – I'll take my chances with the mob of Fanboys. :p

Anyone want to join us?

kitki83
Jun 28, 2007, 05:38 PM
I am going to the Manhattan Beach Mall, just to check it out. Does anyone know the details for that place.

Also for those who cannot get iPhone

I did not get an iPhone but I got this lousy Tshirt (http://dealnews.com/deals/Fast-Mac-com-i-Got-i-Phone-T-Shirt-for-free/174805.html)

LeifErikson
Jun 28, 2007, 07:24 PM

It's the first Apple store ever. How could you not go there?

BTW, I don't blame you. It has become a really terrible place.
And don't even get me started on parking.

I might be there.

If Not, I'll be at my local AT&T store. in El Monte, CA

Outsiderdude26
Jun 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
For those going to the the Lankershim and Oxnard at&t store.

I just came back and I was told that about 100 people have gone in today to question about the iPhone. They have also receive around 250 calls.

I was also told that those in line before they open will be given a number.

I saw other people asking the same thing. I also over heard that camping out will be allowed.

Vernexto
Jun 28, 2007, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know if that wristband thing was totally legitimate? Or if it's bogus and it really is first come first serve. Seems like indoor malls will need some way to keep it fair once they allow people in.

delioninsyd
Jun 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
i dont think too many people plan on sleeping outside over night for the phone but we all plan on getting 1. I decided that I will be there at 6am tomorrow at the pasadena apple store so I can pick up two phones. FYI (90 degress in pasadena today)

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
I might be there.

If Not, I'll be at my local AT&T store. in El Monte, CA

I just called Glendale Galleria and they told me the following:

Doors open at 7:30 by "management bridge" right by JCPenny and the lining up will be starting at 8 outside Apple store.
Apple store opens at 9.

Apple dude told me they've done this before and it's not gonna be like people running everywhere

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 08:08 PM
I just called Century City
there's a line outside the mall right next to the main building.
(People are camping out right now)

The store opens at 8, line starts from.. now!!!!

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 08:10 PM
Beverly Center:

You can line up starting now. They'll let people in at 4pm to line up inside the mall.

janey
Jun 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
Grove: Line starts @ 7. At 6, people get to go in. Simple.

So... I think I will be at the Grove. I don't want to wait on Beverly for hours – I'll take my chances with the mob of Fanboys. :p

Anyone want to join us?
Hah, I was at the grove today for lunch at the cheesecake factory. I'm not going to enjoy standing out in the hot sun for a few hours tomorrow :(

However, I'd love to join you, what time are you getting there?

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
I despise Glendale Galleria but it seems it's the best bet to get an iPhone

hojoon0724
Jun 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
Santa Monica - 3rd st promenade

30 people already camping outside the apple store.
I wouldn't go there

janey
Jun 28, 2007, 08:25 PM
I despise Glendale Galleria but it seems it's the best bet to get an iPhone
For what it's worth, as of a couple hours ago there was nobody waiting at the grove, and no employees were aware that there was any line anywhere. but could you stop doubleposting maybe? :p

adrianblaine
Jun 28, 2007, 08:40 PM
I might, but it's supposed to be 94 degrees in Pasadena. FWIW - I talked to someone there yesterday and when i asked how many they would get he said "i don't know but they cleared out a ton of room in the back".

If i go to that store, it won't be until 4PM or so when the sun is not beating down on me.

The Pasadena Apple store has about 8 people lined up. The first in line is a mom waiting in line for her son who is in summer school... Not fair!

Anyway, doesn't Colorado Blvd. go East/West? 4PM will be blazing hot anyway since there won't be any buildings in the way and there aren't many trees...

fcpguy
Jun 28, 2007, 08:51 PM
I just called the Sherman Oaks store and the guy said "it's going to be insane". He said that the Apple store opens at 10am, but the Mall doors might open earlier then that and he anticipated a line before the Mall opened. He suggested getting there early and he "thought" that they wouldn't have enough for everyone?!?! This is the first time this week that I am actually getting a little nervous! :eek:

fcpguy
Jun 28, 2007, 09:07 PM
Update:

Just called the Sherman Oaks Mall. They said they will start allowing the line to form at 6am and that there will be signs in the parking lot and on the first floor.

DMK
Jun 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
I just called the Sherman Oaks store and the guy said "it's going to be insane". He said that the Apple store opens at 10am, but the Mall doors might open earlier then that and he anticipated a line before the Mall opened. He suggested getting there early and he "thought" that they wouldn't have enough for everyone?!?! This is the first time this week that I am actually getting a little nervous! :eek:

ugh. that's terrible news. I still was planning on walking up to the Apple Store in Pasadena at 5pm tomorrow... am I totally going to miss out ? :(

Jun 28, 2007, 09:37 PM
The Pasadena Apple store has about 8 people lined up. The first in line is a mom waiting in line for her son who is in summer school... Not fair!

Anyway, doesn't Colorado Blvd. go East/West? 4PM will be blazing hot anyway since there won't be any buildings in the way and there aren't many trees...

My mom evened offered to wait for me while I took senior pictures, but there is no way I would ever have my Mom wait out there in the sun for something I want, I would rather not get a iPhone tomorrow then have my mom wait out there for even a few hours

waltchan
Jun 28, 2007, 10:41 PM
Can anyone tell me the status on the Costa Mesa and Newport Beach Apple Stores? How many people are in line right now?

B-Ri
Jun 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
Can anyone tell me the status on the Costa Mesa and Newport Beach Apple Stores? How many people are in line right now?

FTA: The Irvine Co. is allowing people to spend the night at the Spectrum Center if they are in line at the Apple Store, spokesman Bill Rams said. South Coast Plaza, the Brea Mall and Fashion Island are not allowing people to line up until 5 a.m. Friday.

Kingsly
Jun 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
Hah, I was at the grove today for lunch at the cheesecake factory. I'm not going to enjoy standing out in the hot sun for a few hours tomorrow :(

However, I'd love to join you, what time are you getting there?

We will be there at around 12, but plan to shop a bit and grab lunch at the Farmer's market. Probably get in line when the Apple store closes (~2). :)

janey
Jun 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
We will be there at around 12, but plan to shop a bit and grab lunch at the Farmer's market. Probably get in line when the Apple store closes (~2). :)

ah, I got the same idea :)

see you there I guess :D

delioninsyd
Jun 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
im on my why to the pasadena store right now. The line is already kinda nasty. about 15 people

adrianblaine
Jun 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
My mom evened offered to wait for me while I took senior pictures, but there is no way I would ever have my Mom wait out there in the sun for something I want, I would rather not get a iPhone tomorrow then have my mom wait out there for even a few hours

I wouldn't want my mom there either. It's not safe to sit in the sun that long.... Anyway, my comment "not fair" was mostly directed at him being a student and getting an iPhone (I just finished college and I don't have near enough money for one...), not that his mom is sacrificing herself for his iPhone.

Plus I don't know if I'm from a different "culture", but growing up, my mom would never have supported me getting a $500 phone, so I may be jealous of that...

B-Ri
Jun 28, 2007, 11:15 PM
any nes on the mission viejo store?

cheesy
Jun 28, 2007, 11:19 PM
So, to recap...

Grove: 7:00am Fri
Bev Center: 8am Fri (but people already lined up?)
Century City: 8am Fri (but people already lined up?)
Santa Monica: approx 30 people in line
Glendale: 7:30am Fri
Pasadena: approx 8 people in line
Sherman Oaks: 6:00am Fri
Irvine: overnight line permitted (current length unknown)
South Coast Plaza: 5:00am Fri
Brea Mall: 5:00am Fri
Fashion Island: 5:00am Fri

GoCubsGo
Jun 28, 2007, 11:37 PM
There is one lonely guy in a tie die t-shirt (i think) outside Aliso Viejo AT&T. It's sad and funny all in one.
I wanted to buy him a burger tonight!

B-Ri
Jun 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
There is one lonely guy in a tie die t-shirt (i think) outside Aliso Viejo AT&T. It's sad and funny all in one.
I wanted to buy him a burger tonight!

i may have to join him in the morning

SoCalResident
Jun 29, 2007, 12:08 AM
I was just there before they closed up. The staff said they were not aware of any line and I didn't see any in my brief search.

That's where I'll be!

adrianblaine
Jun 29, 2007, 12:10 AM
Pasadena: approx 8 people in line

I just drove by about half an hour ago (9:30 PM) and the line looks to have more than tripled. I couldn't stop to count but it looked like at least 20-30 people now.

fcpguy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:00 AM
Just drove by Sherman Oaks mall...there are about 15 people waiting outside.

waltchan
Jun 29, 2007, 09:59 AM
If you want to stay cool and don't like sitting out in the hot sun, come to Costa Mesa Apple store. Line is indoors. There are about 60 people in line right now. Not too many chance left. Everybody is comfortable.

screensaver400
Jun 29, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm about number 50 in line at Victoria Gardens (Rancho Cucamonga). There are about 10 people behind me.

KeareB
Jun 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
Just drove by and there are a lot of people middle of the promenade, where the line is. I'd say 100.

Katmyth
Jun 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
Anyone know about the Topanga mall or the ATT store on Tonpanga Canyon? I can't get of work til 3 :(

killmoms
Jun 29, 2007, 11:19 AM
I'm having my friend check out the line at the Burbank AT&T store around noon, and the line at the Glendale Galleria too.

screensaver400
Jun 29, 2007, 11:26 AM
At Victoria Gardens, a plain white unmarked van is unloading pallets near the Apple Store. Apparently they won't fit through the door or something. They are wrapped in black plastic, and security around them is tight. There are at least 250 phones per pallet, and they unloaded 3 of them.

EDIT: A photo:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6426/img00074fl8.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00074fl8.jpg)

Second edit:
Not for Apple Store. See below.

KeareB
Jun 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
At Victoria Gardens, a plain white unmarked van is unloading pallets near the Apple Store. Apparently they won't fit through the door or something. They are wrapped in black plastic, and security around them is tight. There are at least 250 phones per pallet, and they unloaded 3 of them.

Good info. Don't know if this makes me more, or less, nervous about the fact that I can't go get in line yet. 750 phones at an apple store is less than what I was hoping for...

screensaver400
Jun 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry for the confusion. As it turns out, these pallets were not for the Apple Store. One of the guards said they were, but they're unloading them to Sharper Image. Ah, disinformation.

tasslehawf
Jun 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry for the confusion. As it turns out, these pallets were not for the Apple Store. One of the guards said they were, but they're unloading them to Sharper Image. Ah, disinformation.

Oooo. Can I start an ugly rumor? Sharper Image is getting iphones today?

artalliance
Jun 29, 2007, 12:32 PM
This is the start of the line at the Grove in LA at 9:30 this morning. Around 100 people there so far.
Grove management was nice enough to hand out umbrellas to protect these folks from the sun.

http://homepage.mac.com/baadenhaus/iphone/content/bin/images/large/Remodel_27.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/baadenhaus/iphone/content/bin/images/large/Remodel_15.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/baadenhaus/iphone/content/bin/images/large/Remodel_22.jpg

actionslacks
Jun 29, 2007, 12:34 PM
At 8:30 beverly center only had about 20 people there. I have a friend who is number 10 in line, but unfortunately he is buying for him and someone else. He will be updating me.

Anyone gotten any info on quantities yet? That's really the only way i can see getting in line now. If I know there will be enough, i'll line up around 2 I guess.

By the way. I'll be checking this forum for the next couple hours. IF any one wants to know te status over there let me know and I'll call him.

ostimu
Jun 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
This is the start of the line at the Grove in LA at 9:30 this morning. Around 100 people there so far.
Grove management was nice enough to hand out umbrellas to protect these folks from the sun.

Wow. This is LA. You won't see management handing out umbrellas anywhere else, I bet. This is a nice place to live.

YoNeX
Jun 29, 2007, 12:46 PM
So how many people in front of the Passadena store?

killmoms
Jun 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
I called the AT&T store in Burbank about 20 minutes ago and they said there were already about 20 people in line. I'm worried it'll be a bad bet. Should I just go to the Glendale Galleria? Apple Store will probably have more...

SO CONFLICTED!

Must get out of work early.

ostimu
Jun 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
I called the AT&T store in Burbank about 20 minutes ago and they said there were already about 20 people in line. I'm worried it'll be a bad bet. Should I just go to the Glendale Galleria? Apple Store will probably have more...

SO CONFLICTED!

You know, there's also an AT&T store about two blocks from the Galleria. It's on Brand. When I originally thought I was going to have time to get the phone tonight, my plan was to go there...

killmoms
Jun 29, 2007, 12:52 PM
You know, there's also an AT&T store about two blocks from the Galleria. It's on Brand. When I originally thought I was going to have time to get the phone tonight, my plan was to go there...

Yeah, I saw that on the map... I'll probably use my lunch break to scope out the line at Burbank. If it still looks reasonable, my co-worker said he'll cover for me to dip out early. I dunno if I'll go over to Brand, it's kinda far.

hojoon0724
Jun 29, 2007, 01:07 PM
i'm number 29 at glendale galleria
the apple staff were nice enough to give us food and some coffee.
I guess there are around 100 people at the mall lined up and the line extends up to the parking lot.

BlackSilver
Jun 29, 2007, 01:08 PM

Yep.. Irvine here.. but I'll be going to the Tustin location. Already have my AT&T service setup and have a floater in line.

I'll be making SERIOUS use of the iPhone. Looking forward to posting my findings.

I've had just about every PDA/Smartphone there is. Know about all of them. Have tweaked just about every one. Have both a MacBook Pro 17 and several PCs.. so I should be able to give some interesting feedback.

Hope to get some great info here.. and give some as well.

Enjoy all!

PS - Anyone interested in getting together and swapping tips/tricks/info, give me a yell. Skype me if you like "BlackSilverLTD"

nocturne1
Jun 29, 2007, 01:39 PM
Yep.. Irvine here.. but I'll be going to the Tustin location. Already have my AT&T service setup and have a floater in line.

In Irvine also. Waiting to read about how things go on the east coast to decide my purchase strategy (apple store vs. AT&T vs online). Prefer apple store at FI, but assume it's gonna be a zoo. And can't get away early to do a partial-day camp.....

Kingsly
Jun 29, 2007, 01:43 PM

SO CONFLICTED!

Matt, go the the Apple Store. I think there's a much better chance there...

The only reason I can imagine anyone going to the AT&T store is because Teh Steve™ told them to. :p

fearofsociety
Jun 29, 2007, 01:44 PM
There was about 70 people at Mission Viejo Mall as of 9:30am. Anybody got an update on the mall now.

fcpguy
Jun 29, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm in line at the Sherman Oaks Apple Store. Came by around 6:30 and there were already about 20 people here....came back around 10 and there were about 60, which is where I am right now. I'm guessing we've hit around 100 at this point. At least it's inside and there's AC....Coffee bean and CPK have been making deliveries to people in line too, so not too bad so far.

tasslehawf
Jun 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm inside at the Glendale Galleria. There are about 50 people ahead of me in line. There are probably 200-250 people here total.

Luckily for the people at the very head of the line, they are sitting on a ramp. I figure when they stand up after sitting there another six hours they will all fall over.

Pics:
http://homepage.mac.com/tasslehawf/iday/iday1.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/tasslehawf/iday/iday2.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/tasslehawf/iday/iday3.JPG

TheAnswer
Jun 29, 2007, 02:20 PM
Just passed the AT&T store in the Tustin Marketplace on my way to lunch, looks like just under 20 people there.

macrobat
Jun 29, 2007, 02:21 PM
I was at the santa monica apple store this morning at about 8:30 and there was already 70+ people I can only imagine how many there is now I left my friend there on first shift I will report back shortly

actionslacks
Jun 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
FWIW - I just heard from a friend that there are 200 people at the Topanga store. He walked in about 30 minutes ago and decided not to wait. I guess a lot of people thought that was a good strategic bet.

imwoblin
Jun 29, 2007, 02:57 PM
There was about 70 people at Mission Viejo Mall as of 9:30am. Anybody got an update on the mall now.

Just came back from Mission Viejo, at least 200 people in line as of 12pm. Looks like I'll order the iPhone online and drink till Monday!

DMK
Jun 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
I popped into Old Town Pasadena for lunch today. As of about 12:30pm there were roughly around 100 people in line outside the Apple Store. the line snaked around De Lacy street (where there is at least a bit of shade) I couldn't help but notice that lots of people were gone...there were tons of lawn chairs. I was mostly counting lawn chairs, not actual persons, so maybe there are more people waiting than estimated. What's up with that! Perhaps I should have gone and staked out a spot with a chair this morning on my way to the office.

I also wandered down to Raymond where I only saw about 10 folks sitting in front of the AT&T store.

It's pretty damned hot too...almost 90 degrees.

macidiot
Jun 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
Just talked to a friend... he said there were about 60 people in line at the Manhattan Beach store. That was about 12:30pm.

badtz
Jun 29, 2007, 03:23 PM

If someone can update this thread with the status at this location, that would be great!! My plan is to go here :)

tasslehawf
Jun 29, 2007, 03:30 PM
I popped into Old Town Pasadena for lunch today. As of about 12:30pm there were roughly around 100 people in line outside the Apple Store. the line snaked around De Lacy street (where there is at least a bit of shade) I couldn't help but notice that lots of people were gone...there were tons of lawn chairs. I was mostly counting lawn chairs, not actual persons, so maybe there are more people waiting than estimated. What's up with that! Perhaps I should have gone and staked out a spot with a chair this morning on my way to the office.

I also wandered down to Raymond where I only saw about 10 folks sitting in front of the AT&T store.

It's pretty damned hot too...almost 90 degrees.

You may not have done much good. There were already 60-70 people there when I drove by at 1 am.

tasslehawf
Jun 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
If someone can update this thread with the status at this location, that would be great!! My plan is to go here :)

I am really curious to see what happens after 6pm, availability-wise.

Limeyness
Jun 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
Fashion Island in the OC had a line of 60+ at 1030 am

CHROMEDOME
Jun 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm inside the Northridge store right now...they are closing soon, but I'm going back north in like 2 hours. Good Luck everyone!

Theres like 30-40 people in line.

dashiel
Jun 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
some times i miss the good old days when the general public didn't give a damn about apple or its products.

janey
Jun 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
@the grove, leeching wfi from whole foods.

the line is REALLY long - goes from the apple store down to farmers market, it's virtually a u shaped line going around the grove right now, guesstimating a few hundred people.

there's also some guy from iProng giving out free pizza and water :D

Kingsly
Jun 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
@the grove, leeching wfi from whole foods.

the line is REALLY long - goes from the apple store down to farmers market, it's virtually a u shaped line going around the grove right now, guesstimating a few hundred people.

there's also some guy from iProng giving out free pizza and water :D

Join (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322000) the fun!

(Where are you? I'm at the corner of gilmore :D )

janey
Jun 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Join (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322000) the fun!

(Where are you? I'm at the corner of gilmore :D )

3rd and gilmore, wearing my wwdc shirt :p
where you be?

isoS
Jun 29, 2007, 04:20 PM

My wife works next door to the ATT store on Brand and just estimated 20 people in that line. She was surprised to find people already blocking the entrance to her office this morning, but apparently the line hasn't grown much since then.

janey
Jun 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
a guy from bennett's stopped by and gave everyone free ice cream :eek:

gamergod
Jun 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
I am number 241 at the Northridge store......... Hope they have enough.
:confused:

The line goes way outside the mall now

kitki83
Jun 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
Ok everyone, pictures or it never happened!!

Srsly I want to see the pictures especially Manhattan Beach mall. I was planning to go to Frys and stop by just to see the phone. Already 60 people WOW!!!

badtz
Jun 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
My wife works next door to the ATT store on Brand and just estimated 20 people in that line. She was surprised to find people already blocking the entrance to her office this morning, but apparently the line hasn't grown much since then.

I wonder if they will have enough for everyone! :X

My plan is to just show up around 5pm, and hope there's enough :(

apple4ver
Jun 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
anyone here is lining up in thousand oaks' TO mall? can you tell me how many ppl been lining up there?

Kingsly
Jun 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
3rd and gilmore, wearing my wwdc shirt :p
where you be?
3rd and Gillmore, wearing my BTS shirt. :D

clayfu
Jun 29, 2007, 04:58 PM
and i wonder how many people are actually buying these phones for themselves. *cough fleabay*

HunterH
Jun 29, 2007, 05:01 PM
anyone here is lining up in thousand oaks' TO mall? can you tell me how many ppl been lining up there?

Yeah, we're here waiting. Maybe 200 people here tops? Probably more like 150.

kitki83
Jun 29, 2007, 05:02 PM
and i wonder how many people are actually buying these phones for themselves. *cough fleabay*

Black Friday was worse, they ebayed it and they got the vouchers and sold them to the people in line. Poor kids had to stay up for the parents greedy needs.

clayfu
Jun 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
Black Friday was worse, they ebayed it and they got the vouchers and sold them to the people in line. Poor kids had to stay up for the parents greedy needs.

this situation would be super funny if apple has enough stock to carry everyone (400,000 for america i think is actually quite alot of phones, i dont think any of the big 3 systems shipped with that many on the first day?) and then... no one would buy it on ebay and you see a mass flux of returns (ala january for the ps3).

on blackfriday at staples i sold a voucher (kinda) to someone. I had the item in my hand ready to buy it and the guy offered me 40$ more than the price it was selling for and i said "shoot! i dont need this harddrive THAT bad" , 40$ free!

lozanoj83
Jun 29, 2007, 05:12 PM
Im just here @ Home, no money to buy iPhone and im in a contract with Sprint.

KCAL 9 here in LA is reporting on the iPhone, specifically The Grove.
My god, that line is huge!

Ive been to the Grove for Christmas Movie watching and shopping, my god... it looks like the day before Christmas.. literally..
only its 80 degrees!

janey
Jun 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
3rd and Gillmore, wearing my BTS shirt. :D

ahhh im eating the popsicle i got from the apple guys right now :p

/me wanders over

actionslacks
Jun 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
So i got just got super lucky. An old friend called me and is in the first 50 in line at Beverly Center. His #2 iphone person bailed out so he is getting the second phone for me. I can't believe it.

Anyway, NPR just reported 2000 people at the NYC store and the reporter said they thought they would have phones for everyone. I wonder if the 3 million phones rumor is really true? I'd love to hear that everyone on MacRumors was able to get one today if they wanted.

Good luck.

ostimu
Jun 29, 2007, 06:13 PM
Reports from the Other Coast state that the AT&T store computers are down. The first three transactions took over 45 minutes at a store in Manhattan. The first sale at an AT&T store in Jersey took 30 minutes alone. They'll presumably get that fixed before 6pm PST, but be aware. (It's covered on an Engadget post and thread.)

Heh -- and the phones aren't activating. Not sure if it's AT&T's problem or not, but iTunes is just hanging for a half-hour, never authorizing the phone. Ouch. Again, I'm hoping this is resolved by the time this coast gets home with phones.