PDA

View Full Version : Last chance for new Powerbooks before MacWorld?

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 10:53 PM
Kind of a weird idea, but i remember going through the threads a while back and a couple people said something about apple updating the site/store on tuesdays.

With only a few hours left before it's Tuesday in Cupertino, anyone think we could see powerbooks sooner rather than later?

MoparShaha
Jul 7, 2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I'd wondered the same thing. Tuesdsays are the big release days for Apple, and a lot of people on the forums speculated that Apple would release the new PowerBook(s) before Create. Wouldn't surprise me to see them released at the keynote at Create though. Even though Steve isn't going to be there, Joswiak is responsible for PowerBooks and the like, so I wouldn't be surprised if he introduced the updates. Here's the link for the Create keynote (http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworld2003/V40/index.cvn?id=10254&p_navID=22)

macphoria
Jul 8, 2003, 12:25 AM
I think 15" update will happen outside Create. 15" update is nothing special (since 17" and 12" aluminium has been out for a while) and doesn't seem to warrant big introduction.

Abstract
Jul 8, 2003, 12:46 AM
Joswiak: "And now introducing the brand new 1.25GHz G4 Powerbooks!!!"

Everybody Else: ".........(Boo!!)"

:D

macphoria
Jul 8, 2003, 01:14 AM
Unless it goes something like...

Joswiak: "And now introducing the brand new 1.25GHz 15" Aluminium Powerbooks!!!"

Joswiak: "Oh, by the way, did I mention it is 1.25Ghz G5?"

jbomber
Jul 8, 2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by macphoria

Joswiak: "And now introducing the brand new 1.25GHz 15" Aluminium Powerbooks!!!"

LOL, and chaos ensues as people trample each other in a mad rush to buy one.

WasteGate
Jul 8, 2003, 07:09 PM
If you go to the Apple Store and place an order for a 15" Powerbook with super drive the est. ship is now 7-10days.
Hmmmm food for thought (and rumor)....

jbomber
Jul 8, 2003, 07:18 PM
Well, tuesday's come and just about gone, and no updates for the apple store.
:( the waiting game continues.

Anyone think that there's a chance apple may still launch a powerbook update before next wednesday?

WasteGate
Jul 8, 2003, 07:27 PM
Will be next week for sure. My shrink told me so. :)

jbomber
Jul 8, 2003, 07:50 PM
the voices in my head concur

jzieske
Jul 8, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by jbomber
the voices in my head concur

I hope those little guys are right!

donigian
Jul 8, 2003, 09:58 PM
Have you "Tuesday is release day" guys not noticed that many, if not most, of the product releases of this year have been on Mondays? If memory serves correctly the 12" and 17" Powerbooks, updated i/eMacs, ibooks, and definately PowerMac G5s were all released on Mondays.

Maybe y'all should check your "Tuesday is release day."

Rezet
Jul 8, 2003, 10:20 PM
lol. Are u people still dreaming about g5s pbooks?
well keep dreaming.

expo is 16th right?

jzieske
Jul 8, 2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Rezet
lol. Are u people still dreaming about g5s pbooks?
well keep dreaming.

expo is 16th right?

Yeah expo keynote is the 16th. But know i am not thinking we'll see G5 PB's until next spring/summer.

maradong
Jul 8, 2003, 11:26 PM
i d be happy with a g4 pb 15'' . ;-)
should feature keyboard backlight ae, bluetooth, ddrram, l3 cachen ... and and and ;-)

solvs
Jul 9, 2003, 01:05 AM
Probably next week before the keynote, or the week after. Small, quiet, speed bump. Feature parity on the 15". Hopefully a new ATI graphics card (maybe nVidia on the 17). Up to 80 GB hard drive. Some may have price drops. Still using G4, but lower powered.

Be nice if the 12" had more than 128 MB on board. Or just 2 dimm slots. That's the one thing I hate on the iBooks (soon to be updated, later in the year).

macphoria
Jul 9, 2003, 01:25 AM
Hopefully, next PowerBook update will bring us 1+Ghz 15" Aluminium PowerBook and also revision B 12" PowerBook with 1Ghz G4. And 2x DVD-R write speed.

Golem
Jul 9, 2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by macphoria

I would be happy with a 1.25 g4 15'' ally as long as it had same built in options as 17''

My nightmare is after waiting 5 months he announces the new 1Ghz 15'' Aluminium G4:(

But I am sure the reason it has been so long is because they didnt want that exact scenario.

Mind you I had it confirmed today that in september I will get a 1.6 G5 for my work machine to replace my aging quicksilver 800 so:)

FredAkbar
Jul 9, 2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by donigian
Have you "Tuesday is release day" guys not noticed that many, if not most, of the product releases of this year have been on Mondays? If memory serves correctly the 12" and 17" Powerbooks, updated i/eMacs, ibooks, and definately PowerMac G5s were all released on Mondays.

Maybe y'all should check your "Tuesday is release day."

Actually, I believe Steve's MWSF Keynote was on a Tuesday, so the 12 and 17 PBs were on a Tuesday...and the updated iMacs (and I think eMacs) were on a Tuesday as well.

--Fred

WasteGate
Jul 9, 2003, 09:36 AM
It's Tuesday's for sure, I live in Australia and by false of habit now I wake up at about 4.00am every Wedensday morning and see what may have been released on the Tuesday. :eek: