PDA

View Full Version : G5 upgrade question

BCS
Jun 18, 2007, 05:14 PM
Looking to buy a used G5. Dude said he upgraded a G5 1.8 to a Dual 2.0... Is that even possible and if so what limitations or problems could the machine have. Said he replaced the whole motherboard.

BCS

Blue Velvet
Jun 18, 2007, 05:24 PM
Doesn't sound kosher to me... at all. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of anyone upgrading the motherboard in the G5 PowerMacs. Especially by themselves. Replacing, perhaps...

Is the seller an Apple technician?

BCS
Jun 18, 2007, 05:33 PM
Boy, I even ask him again. Said he replaced the dual 1.8 motherboard with the mother board from a dual 2.0. I never heard of it but thought I'd ask. I guess I'm going to pass on it. bummer!!!!

BCS

Blue Velvet
Jun 18, 2007, 05:38 PM
Boy, I even ask him again. Said he replaced the dual 1.8 motherboard with the mother board from a dual 2.0. I never heard of it but thought I'd ask. I guess I'm going to pass on it. bummer!!!!

He could be right. I'm not sure where he would have got the motherboard from, that's all, unless it was from another machine or from Apple... and they wouldn't be cheap. And it's something that most people wouldn't try and do themselves... personally, I'd stay clear of a machine like that.

dex22
Jun 19, 2007, 12:15 AM
I recently bought and sold a dual 2GHz G5 logic board and processor set which would fit in a single 1.8GHz case - I checked thoroughly and it was a workable upgrade because the 1.8GHz had the right power supply.

HOWEVER: after the upgrade the board and processors need to undergo thermal calibration, or the fans don't operate appropriately. This is an authorized service center job, requiring special, not publicly available software.

Multimedia
Jun 19, 2007, 12:26 AM
Looking to buy a used G5.I have a used October 2005 last generation Dual Core 2GHz PCIe G5 for sale. Comes with a 160GB system HD plus a 250GB second SATA HD. Has 2.5GB of RAM. Runs perfectly and very quietly.

Do you have a price in mind?

BCS
Jun 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I let the buyer know my concerns. He only wanted $500.00 for the machine and offered to bring it by and met me test it out, but sounds like the potential problem might be a concern that might not show it's face till after running for a while. Figured If I could get it for that price it would be worth upgrading from my G4 mmd till the next generation of the mac pro come out and then still be able to sell it and regain my investment, but it looks like another one of those to good to be true deals. Man I get sick of that.

BCS

Digital Skunk
Jun 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
I have a used October 2005 last generation Dual Core 2GHz PCIe G5 for sale. Comes with a 160GB system HD plus a 250GB second SATA HD. Has 2.5GB of RAM. Runs perfectly and very quietly.

Do you have a price in mind?

If that is single chip dual core then you may have a buyer... but all I really need is the RAM... I know I can go somewhere else and get it but I figure I could help someone out.

If I have to buy the whole machine I would give you $1000 for it no problem.

By the way... I wouldn't try upgrading the mother board on a Dual G5 system. It will cause some massive problems in the long run and you'd be trusting your data to a frankenstein machine. Plus the cost of the MB would reach $600, and you'd only be getting a minimal speed bump by going from 1.8GHz to 2GHz.