PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Charlotte, NC

arcanic
Jun 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
I've considered it, but really just wonder what peoples plans are for the 29th? If we near launch and we get some info leaked, as to a shortage....I'm willing to camp.

Arc:D

pcguru83
Jun 25, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'm in Charlotte and me and a friend of mine will be trying to get an iPhone. What's your plan? :)

UFOGoldorak
Jun 25, 2007, 12:24 PM
Already took off and so did my 3 brothers. We are planning on getting 4 total, depending on the plan prices for my brother but I am a definite buy. I guess since there are only 3 of us replying here no need in camping ehh ;) Anyone heading to the independence AT&T store? I can't stand southpark mall.

pcguru83
Jun 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
We're thinking of trying the at&t store in Gastonia, since it's not in the city. I don't think it will be as busy, but I'm concerned that they may not get as many as well.

Any reason you're opting for the at&t store on Independence?

mullman
Jun 25, 2007, 12:53 PM
I am off Friday anyway.

My plan is the AT&T (corp store, not franchise) at the Arboretum in SE Charlotte. I am already a Cing, er a, AT&T BlackBerry customer and want to keep my same number, hence I think this large store is my best bet as opposed to the Apple Store at SouthPark.

Just make sure you are going to a AT&T Store and not a franchise or "authorized agent". Rumor is only the corp stores will be getting phones on launch day.

I'll be there around 4:30 pm closing with a book and a lawn chair and would be SHOCKED if there were 99 people in front of me (with rumor of 100-250 phones per store).

That is my plan.

toneloco2881
Jun 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
I've got Friday off, so I'm going to head to Southpark around 11:00am, and do a little shopping. I'll periodically check the Apple Store to see if a line is forming. Once it does I'll jump in.:)

arcanic
Jun 25, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am off Friday anyway.

My plan is the AT&T (corp store, not franchise) at the Arboretum in SE Charlotte. I am already a Cing, er a, AT&T BlackBerry customer and want to keep my same number, hence I think this large store is my best bet as opposed to the Apple Store at SouthPark.

Just make sure you are going to a AT&T Store and not a franchise or "authorized agent". Rumor is only the corp stores will be getting phones on launch day.

I'll be there around 4:30 pm closing with a book and a lawn chair and would be SHOCKED if there were 99 people in front of me (with rumor of 100-250 phones per store).

That is my plan.

I live in Beverly Crest, so I'll be at the Arboretum too. See ya there!

mullman
Jun 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
I live in Beverly Crest, so I'll be at the Arboretum too. See ya there!

Small world - I live in BC to (Prescott Place).
I'm a former Apple engineer and general mac user since 1989, now mostly into Final Cut Studio and HD editing. Look forward to meeting you.

arcanic
Jun 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
Small world - I live in BC to (Prescott Place).
I'm a former Apple engineer and general mac user since 1989, now mostly into Final Cut Studio and HD editing. Look forward to meeting you.

Wow, it is indeed a small world. I live at The Preserve (condos). My soon to be wife and I really would like to move in to the neighborhood and get out of the condo. I absolutely love the area.

I'm going to be checking the store very early friday morning. If I detect a line, I will be planting my butt early.

Travis:D

UFOGoldorak
Jun 25, 2007, 02:31 PM
We're thinking of trying the at&t store in Gastonia, since it's not in the city. I don't think it will be as busy, but I'm concerned that they may not get as many as well.

Any reason you're opting for the at&t store on Independence?

No, its just that its about half the travel distance that's all. At least we will be waiting indoors at south park if there are lines. iPhone + AC... can't beat that :D

arcanic
Jun 25, 2007, 02:36 PM
No, its just that its about half the travel distance that's all. At least we will be waiting indoors at south park if there are lines. iPhone + AC... can't beat that :D

Ala Gaston Mall! That's a great spot!:p

Arc

pcguru83
Jun 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ala Gaston Mall! That's a great spot!:p

Arc
Heh, you're right! I forgot the at&t store had an entrance from the mall.

w00t!!11!11one!

brownreese
Jun 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
I called a couple Singular/AT&T stores around my area and I could only get one store associate to reluctantly respond to "so, you guys are probably going to be really busy on June 29 at 6:00?"

The associate a the AT&T store on Independence Blvd gave a thinly veild confirmation...

He paused--seemingly trying to navigate through the rough terrane of secrets--and then answered in a hush voice that sounded like deep throat he wispered "uh huh".

For what it's worth.... I think this will be my campground.

P.S. Verizon was extremely helpful in formulating my escape route. Expensive...but hey I'm one of the obsessive ones. Each night I watch the 25 minute demo before going to bed. Don't worry, I am discussing this with my therapist tomorrow morning. Obviously the meds aren't working!

arcanic
Jun 25, 2007, 04:49 PM
I called a couple Singular/AT&T stores around my area and I could only get one store associate to reluctantly respond to "so, you guys are probably going to be really busy on June 29 at 6:00?"

The associate a the AT&T store on Independence Blvd gave a thinly veild confirmation...

He paused--seemingly trying to navigate through the rough terrane of secrets--and then answered in a hush voice that sounded like deep throat he wispered "uh huh".

For what it's worth.... I think this will be my campground.

P.S. Verizon was extremely helpful in formulating my escape route. Expensive...but hey I'm one of the obsessive ones. Each night I watch the 25 minute demo before going to bed. Don't worry, I am discussing this with my therapist tomorrow morning. Obviously the meds aren't working!

Lol...you're as bad as I am! I'm even getting to where I can't sleep at night....geez, talk about sick! I have NEVER been this excited about a gadget in my life.

Arc:eek:

mullman
Jun 25, 2007, 05:31 PM
Well, from reading a few other forums, it looks I might be out of luck.
I am a small business with four phones.
Even though we get NO discounts and I was going to pay in person for the phone it appears "business" accounts (tied to an Fed ID number and not an SS number) may be ineligible for iPhones at launch although I cannot imagine why.

I am willing to pay $599, sign contract ect.
I am the person that will be testing it for the other three so it is not like I am buying 4 at a time. FWIW we are an all Mac shop.

Oh well, waited six months what is another 1-2?
If it comes late August/September before they allow business accounts, then I might as well just keep using my Pearl and wait for rev 2 of see what MacWorld 2008 holds.

Bummer

drew0020
Jun 26, 2007, 10:19 AM
I just moved to the area. Where are the best locations to go? I only know of the SouthPark Mall Apple Store. I work Uptown, live closer to Concord. I hope the lines aren't too long (and the stock is high) because I have to work until 5pm, but I am not sure what to expect.

Any help would be appreciated.

toneloco2881
Jun 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
I just moved to the area. Where are the best locations to go? I only know of the SouthPark Mall Apple Store. I work Uptown, live closer to Concord. I hope the lines aren't too long (and the stock is high) because I have to work until 5pm, but I am not sure what to expect.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you don't get off until 5pm, I wouldn't try making it to the Apple Store. By the time you fight traffic it'll probably be closer to 6, and it's going to be a zoo. Go to the AT&T website, and plug in your zip code. It'll give you listings of the stores in your vicinity. You want to look for the ones that say simply "Cingular Wireless". The ones that have franchised or authorized retailers won't be carrying the iPhone upon launch. Good luck!

pcguru83
Jun 27, 2007, 09:48 AM
Lol...you're as bad as I am! I'm even getting to where I can't sleep at night....geez, talk about sick! I have NEVER been this excited about a gadget in my life.

Arc:eek:
Wow, and I thought it was just me. :) Seriously, I've gotten like maybe 4-5 hours of sleep each night this week. It's crazy--I'm waking up like 2 hours before I'm supposed to.

Undoubtedly, this is the most excitement and anticipation I've had for any gadget ever. Heck, maybe even any event, period.

arcanic
Jun 27, 2007, 02:46 PM
Wow, and I thought it was just me. :) Seriously, I've gotten like maybe 4-5 hours of sleep each night this week. It's crazy--I'm waking up like 2 hours before I'm supposed to.

Undoubtedly, this is the most excitement and anticipation I've had for any gadget ever. Heck, maybe even any event, period.

LOL...and it's gotten WORSE for me!! I'm going to be bald post iPhone, I swear!

Anyone going to be at the Arbo?

Jaqen
Jun 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hmm, I have to work Friday but I'll get one eventually. Maybe just order it online. Was born and raised in Charlotte so I know the area well but now I live in Mooresville. According to the AT&T site where you can enter your zip to find an iPhone near you, the AT&T store in Cornelius will have them and that's quite close to me. Might get lucky if I go there. Now to find a way to get out of work. :cool: I think the Apple stores in Charlotte and Raleigh will be sold out first.

pcguru83
Jun 28, 2007, 09:34 AM
Let's say that I was thinking about hitting up the Apple Store in Southpark instead of my local at&t store in Gaston Mall. Anyone know where our Apple store is going to have people lining up at?

mullman
Jun 28, 2007, 10:43 AM
LOL...and it's gotten WORSE for me!! I'm going to be bald post iPhone, I swear!

Anyone going to be at the Arbo?

I'm still debating between AT&T at the Arbo or going to the Apple Store.

I will probably be at the AT&T Store though.

arcanic
Jun 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
I'm still debating between AT&T at the Arbo or going to the Apple Store.

I will probably be at the AT&T Store though.

Hi Mullman,

Me too...I've been swarming around the Arbo all day. I'm getting ready to head back out and take another look at the store. If you decide to go to the Arbo, let me know...someone to chat with.

Arc/Travis

arcanic
Jun 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
Let's say that I was thinking about hitting up the Apple Store in Southpark instead of my local at&t store in Gaston Mall. Anyone know where our Apple store is going to have people lining up at?

That's exactly my question. I went to the AT&T earlier...the girl told me she only knew their stock was more than 10...but how much over, she didn't know. My luck...11. haha.

If enough of us were planning on camping somewhere, it may be worth it to meet at the same place....just a though.

Arc

mullman
Jun 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Mullman,

Me too...I've been swarming around the Arbo all day. I'm getting ready to head back out and take another look at the store. If you decide to go to the Arbo, let me know...someone to chat with.

Arc/Travis

I'll be at the Arbo, no doubt.
My wife is in NYC all weekend (and went by the 5th store today and saw iLoser, BTW).

wiki iLoser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Packer)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a1/Greg_Packer_Shirtless_2.JPG/450px-Greg_Packer_Shirtless_2.JPG

I am off work tomorrow and will commit to be at the Arbo no later than 4pm, probably closer to 3pm. Even if they only get 50 phones I just find it hard to believe that 49 people will wait in line for 2+ hrs, but I have been wrong before.

Just look for this mug, I'll be there:

Keep in mind this pic was 10+ years ago :p

http://homepage.mac.com/mulls/badge.jpg

arcanic
Jun 28, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'll be at the Arbo, no doubt.
My wife in in NYC all weekend (and went by the 5th store today and saw iLoser, BTW).

wiki iLoser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Packer)

I am off work tomorrow and will commit to be at the Arbo no later than 4pm, probably closer to 3pm. Even if they only get 50 phones I just find it hard to believe that 49 people will wait in line for 2+ hrs, but I have been wrong before.

Just look for this mug, I'll be there:

http://homepage.mac.com/mulls/badge.jpg

I'm headed to check it out now...I'll let you know how it goes.

Arc

mullman
Jun 28, 2007, 08:09 PM
I'm headed to check it out now...I'll let you know how it goes.

Arc

pls do! I cannot imagine there would be more than 5 campers over night.
Even if the store only gets 20 units should be fine if we are there early.

arcanic
Jun 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
pls do! I cannot imagine there would be more than 5 campers over night.
Even if the store only gets 20 units should be fine if we are there early.

Ok...coast is clear. Not a soul. My fiancee thinks I'm nuts..haha.

My plan is to get up and check it out in the morning. I'll more than likely going to plant early. I'm going to the beach directly after, so I have to make SURE I don't miss it....no AT&T stores where I'm going.

I'll post again in the a.m. the status. I can't imagine getting this close to launch and missing out!:eek:

Travis

mullman
Jun 28, 2007, 08:25 PM
Arc-

pls do post.

I have the ability to come much earlier (noon) and will if I must.

Good work, soldier! :)

My fiancee thinks I'm nuts..haha.

I converted my wife to Mac 9 years ago and she is just as crazy as I am.
iMac G4, core 2 duo MacBook, two iPods...and she wants an iPhone to.
Hence why I am sad AT&T stores will not sell me two, but I am too lazy to wait in the crazy line at SouthPark. Nothing is prohibiting one from buying one on Friday and one first thing Saturday morning at an AT&T store IF they do not run out.

arcanic
Jun 28, 2007, 08:30 PM
Arc-

pls do post.

I have the ability to come much earlier (noon) and will if I must.

Good work, soldier! :)

*snaps to attention*

Aye, Aye sir!

Travis

PS - Hey I WAS in the Marines.:D

PSS - I'm brand new to Mac...I should have jumped in a long time ago...so far I'm loving Tiger. As for my fiancee, she'll be wanting one after she looks at what it can do. She refuses to watch it online...haha...says it's "dreadfully boring."

mullman
Jun 28, 2007, 08:35 PM
I WAS in the Marines.:D

+1 you have my utmost respect, sir.

My BIL (wife's brother, 2 yrs older than myself) went all the way to Major in the Marines and "retired".

Now is a govt contractor regarding the new Ospreys (that keep crashing), and recent Mac convert thanks to yours truly :)

arcanic
Jun 28, 2007, 08:38 PM
+1 you have my utmost respect, sir.

My BIL went all the way to Major in the Marines and retired.
Now is a govt contractor regarding the new Ospreys (that keep crashing).

You were in the Marines? I'm sorry, all this iPhone buzz has got my brain a little tired.

:)

EDIT:

Ahhh...BIL = Brother in Law...duh.

That's great...it's extremely hard to move up like that. My hat is off to him.

drew0020
Jun 28, 2007, 09:48 PM
I checked a few AT&T stores tonight and no sign of anybody. I think the cost plus the fact that there appears to be enough stock to go around has made people feel comfortable in getting one tomorrow. I am getting off work at 3pm and will head to an AT&T store. Hopefully not a big line, but we will see.

arcanic
Jun 29, 2007, 05:15 AM
I checked a few AT&T stores tonight and no sign of anybody. I think the cost plus the fact that there appears to be enough stock to go around has made people feel comfortable in getting one tomorrow. I am getting off work at 3pm and will head to an AT&T store. Hopefully not a big line, but we will see.

Yeah, I just checked the Arbo....not at soul as of 5:30am. I almost wish there WAS a line....it's stressful trying to balance the timing. Get there too early...look like and idiot...get there too late....you are an idiot. haha.

Good luck and let us know how you :apple: iDay:apple: turns out!

drew0020
Jun 29, 2007, 05:55 AM
Someone keep us posted because I cannot leave work till 3pm. I am really hoping the lines are short at AT&T stores, but it may be wishful thinking...

mullman
Jun 29, 2007, 08:26 AM
Someone keep us posted because I cannot leave work till 3pm. I am really hoping the lines are short at AT&T stores, but it may be wishful thinking...

I will be leaving at 10am to go to Apple Store.
Actually need to upgrade from Final Cut Studio to Studio 2.
Will quickly log in and post update of line at SouthPark Apple Store.

I then have some errands around town and will swing by Arbo AT&T.
If you want the status there email to mulls AT mac DOT com and I will reply via Blackberry.

 iPhone Day - hurray!

The Apple haters are many and may mock.
Call the line waiters crazy, call them idiots, but at 6pm Apple will happily call them "customers".
No other company in the world has such a rabid fan base.

drew0020
Jun 29, 2007, 11:08 AM
Any updates in the Charlotte area? Maybe the lack of interest is a good thing :)

UFOGoldorak
Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
Sitting in line at southpark. I am number 20 in line, got here about 7. Got some chairs and plugged into the wall, time is flying by. I've surfed all of the internet. I am out of things to look at on the web. I've replied to every email in my mailbox dating back 3 years. I JUST WANT TO GO HOME WHERE IS MY PHONE!!!!!!!!! I am fine, I am OK. There are about a 100 people in line now.

drew0020
Jun 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the update. I would have expected more people by now. I am going to hit a couple local AT&T stores and then go to Southpark later tonight if I get shut out.

Good luck!

satrm04
Jun 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm in line at the South Park. Somewhere back #50 or so, and I got here right at 1. But beware. Right now, we're lined up down the hall toward the mall office. They're not going to double the line, instead they're starting to line people up out back on the loading dock, so the AC benefits of South Park are quickly fading for those not in line yet.

The store staff is great. They're bringing around bottled water occasionally to folks who would like it.

Bradley W
Jun 29, 2007, 03:07 PM
_

mullman
Jun 29, 2007, 08:38 PM
It was fun guys!

Nice to meet all the great folks at the AT&T Store line at the Arbo.

http://web.mac.com/mulls/iWeb/mulls/got.iphone.6.2007_files/L1010029.jpg

more pics here (http://web.mac.com/mulls/iWeb/mulls/got.iphone.6.2007.html)

arcanic
Jun 30, 2007, 06:20 AM
It was fun guys!

Nice to meet all the great folks at the AT&T Store line at the Arbo.

http://web.mac.com/mulls/iWeb/mulls/got.iphone.6.2007_files/L1010029.jpg

more pics here (http://web.mac.com/mulls/iWeb/mulls/got.iphone.6.2007.html)

Awesome photo! Ha!

My activation was a NIGHTMARE. As soon as they were getting me ready to leave the system went completely down. They tried to pull me back up, however, it would only let them get me so far. Long story short, when I got home and tried to finish the activation process.....error.....error....error. Now, after waiting SO long you can imagine my disappointment.:( I ended up getting my Verizon number ported over this morning(yes, the NEXT day) and now I'm up and running!!! This this is amazing!

Overall I had a great time hanging out with everyone. It was nice to meet you. Christine and I walk around BC alot, so hopefully we'll bump into you and your wife sometime!

Enjoy your weekend....and that new 8GB iPhone!!!!

Travis
travis.jenkins@yahoo.com

VenomousSVT
Dec 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
any of you guys still hanging around?