PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Michigan

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 07:58 AM
Is anyone on here buying an iPhone from twelve oaks? I am trying to get a feel as to how long the line will be.

:apple:

hcopp
Jun 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
Im in East Lansing, probably going to hit twelve oaks, though I might go to Grand Rapids, I really don't trust any local AT&T stores around here, so my boss and I are taking friday off early to head to an apple store

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 08:42 AM
where is there an apple store in grand rapids? i live in white lake so i wont go to g-rap but i would like to know where that one is because i visit friends there sometimes

xfiftyfour
Jun 19, 2007, 08:45 AM
Hm.. I didn't even know twelve oaks had an Apple store, haha. Somerset has one (which is where I'd be buying mine if I could afford it :p).

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
yeah i like the one at twelve oaks but somerset is undeniably better, too far from me tho. im not paying for mine tho my dad is buying it for me for a grad present luckily. looking forward to it very much haha

hcopp
Jun 19, 2007, 08:59 AM
i guess it is at the Woodland mall, never been.

Also Briarwood in Ann Arbor is getting a new store soon as well as Partridge Creek (i think thats the name). Michigan will have 5 apple stores by year end.

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
wow, thats awesome, not that i know where any of those new places are. but i will be sure to check them out. thanks

aross99
Jun 19, 2007, 09:45 AM
I'm in East Lansing as well, and I'm thinking about heading out the the AT&T store in the mall. I know the AT&T people won't know anything about the iPhone, but all I we really need to know from them is what are the costs of the plans. Could then possibly tell us anything we don't already know?

The last thing I want is some AT&T person trying to tell me how great the iPhone is - just give me an 8Gb model and sign me up...

Because of the contracts, the price and having to be on AT&T's network, I'm hoping to be able to get one Friday night...

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
if you go to the at&t store and u find out how much it will cost for a contract and everything that is necessary to support full iphone functionality, and u could let me know, i would appreciate it. i also want to have mine by friday night but i found out i have to leave for indiana friday morning so i will have to order one online from the hotel room that night which pisses me off.:mad: but oh well what can ya do about it

chenjas1
Jun 19, 2007, 10:50 AM
I'm in Okemos, and planning on heading to the Meridian Mall AT&T store around 2-2:30. If there's no line, I'm gonna dick around in the mall for a while while periodically checking the line. I was also thinking of checking out the store in Lansing, but being a stand alone store, they'll probably make you wait outside. What time are you East Lansing guys gonng go wait?

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 10:55 AM
I'm in Okemos, and planning on heading to the Meridian Mall AT&T store around 2-2:30. If there's no line, I'm gonna dick around in the mall for a while while periodically checking the line. I was also thinking of checking out the store in Lansing, but being a stand alone store, they'll probably make you wait outside. What time are you East Lansing guys gonng go wait?

wait. where is there a store in lansing?

or are you talking about going to a at&t store, because if you are you shouldnt. the apple store release will be better

hcopp
Jun 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
the meridian ATT guys are ****ing morons. I would not put all my eggs in one basket and wait there. That place will more than likely be a total cluster****, and as stated before they are idiots and I would prefer to not give them my business.

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
the meridian ATT guys are ****ing morons. I would not put all my eggs in one basket and wait there. That place will more than likely be a total cluster****, and as stated before they are idiots and I would prefer to not give them my business.

yeah, and if you go to the apple store they have release parties, and they sometimes have giveaways, just like when they release a new os, or things of that nature. most of the stores close at 5, or earlier, and then all will reopen at 6 for the release which we are all waiting for:D

chenjas1
Jun 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
wait. where is there a store in lansing?

or are you talking about going to a at&t store, because if you are you shouldnt. the apple store release will be better

Yeah, I was referring to the AT&T store next to Circuit City in Lansing. There's also an AT&T store in Howell.

I'm not too concerned with the level of celebration for the release. I don't think I'm gonna go to Twelve Oaks or Somerset since that's pretty wealthy suburban Detroit and I think it'll be packed. I've dealt with a few guys from the Okemos AT&T store w/o difficulty. I just wanna go to a store with the least amount of fanfare possible (if possible).

AlphaTeam
Jun 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
where is there an apple store in grand rapids? i live in white lake so i wont go to g-rap but i would like to know where that one is because i visit friends there sometimes

The Apple store is in Woodland Mall. On 28th St. and East Beltline NE.

waterskier2007
Jun 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
The Apple store is in Woodland Mall. On 28th St. and East Beltline NE.

thanks. have you ever been there, and if so, how is the selection and the employees

aross99
Jun 19, 2007, 04:33 PM
I've been to the Apple store in GR - it's a little smaller than the ones in Twelve Oaks, but pretty much like all of the other Apple stores I have been to.

I had a Nano replaced under waranty at the genius bar, and that was my only real contact with the employees. My impression of the staff is that they are not real knowledgable compared to someone who visits the MR forums.

The genius was OK, and my warranty swap was hassle free...

My reason for NOT going to the Apple stores (besides the hour drive either way) and I think they will attract a much more high-end crowd. I think my chances will be better to get a unit in Okemos...

skubish
Jun 19, 2007, 04:45 PM

Also Briarwood in Ann Arbor is getting a new store soon as well as Partridge Creek (i think thats the name). Michigan will have 5 apple stores by year end.

Where is Partridge Creek?
Sadly, I will not be buying an iPhone at launch.

billchase2
Jun 20, 2007, 07:18 AM
a buddy and i may be heading up to twelve oaks from ohio.

what time is everyone getting there?

waterskier2007
Jun 20, 2007, 08:04 AM
a buddy and i may be heading up to twelve oaks from ohio.

what time is everyone getting there?

actually i have to leave for indiana that morning (i just found that out) so i wont be going to the store which makes me really mad. i would for sure join you but it looks like im going to have to order mine online :mad:

indig0blue
Jun 20, 2007, 08:13 AM
actually i have to leave for indiana that morning (i just found that out) so i wont be going to the store which makes me really mad. i would for sure join you but it looks like im going to have to order mine online :mad:

:D you're funny Paris!!

"I am mad mad mad mommy! I want my iPhone NOW!!!!!!!"

waterskier2007
Jun 20, 2007, 09:11 AM
:D you're funny Paris!!

"I am mad mad mad mommy! I want my iPhone NOW!!!!!!!"

wow someone cant take a joke

cjpadlock
Jun 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
Yea im heading up to twelve oaks from ann arbor, I dont think the briarwood store is gonna be open till mid july, It would be sweet if they got it done in time for the iPhone though. So twelve oaks, and if that fails then somerset is where i'll be heading next

waterskier2007
Jun 20, 2007, 09:30 AM
Yea im heading up to twelve oaks from ann arbor, I dont think the briarwood store is gonna be open till mid july, It would be sweet if they got it done in time for the iPhone though. So twelve oaks, and if that fails then somerset is where i'll be heading next

just wondering, since ur from ann arbor, is that cus ur going to school or do u live there cus ill be heading there next year for u of m

Porksword
Jun 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
I'm in Grand Rapids and wont go near the Apple store on the 29th. I figure the best place is to hit my local AT&T/Cingular Store.

cookiejuice
Jun 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yea i am in ann arbor as well. Can't figure out what to do. Thinking about an At&T store but I am going to wait before i make my decision whether I go to twelve oaks. Waterskier I just graduated from Michigan....good luck!!! good times and go blue

Tofaha
Jun 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
i'll probably be heading to somerset...just to test it out...then i'll be in debt when i buy it a few months later :) i like the remodeled somerset :apple: :cool:

waterskier2007
Jun 20, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yea i am in ann arbor as well. Can't figure out what to do. Thinking about an At&T store but I am going to wait before i make my decision whether I go to twelve oaks. Waterskier I just graduated from Michigan....good luck!!! good times and go blue

yeah thanks. just to get some info, what did u study, and where did u live

Eric Lewis
Jun 20, 2007, 12:02 PM
to somerset mall...cause its my fav mall with Louis Vuitton, Lacoste....Hollister etc

bcavanau
Jun 20, 2007, 01:11 PM
I plan to pick one up..but doubt I will do the whole "wait in line" thing.

I will most likely wait a week or two then just stop in at the Somerset Apple store on my lunch break.

I am only 2 blocks from there, I might check it out...but if there is a big line...then "I'm out".

We will see...everyone from the forums should print name tags with the MacRumors logo on it, so we can find each other. (assuming I show up :) )

waterskier2007
Jun 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
I plan to pick one up..but doubt I will do the whole "wait in line" thing.

I will most likely wait a week or two then just stop in at the Somerset Apple store on my lunch break.

I am only 2 blocks from there, I might check it out...but if there is a big line...then "I'm out".

We will see...everyone from the forums should print name tags with the MacRumors logo on it, so we can find each other. (assuming I show up :) )

yeah the name tags would be a good idea (if i was going:mad: ), but since im not i will think about all of you guys at the store while i am bored in indiana having to order it online. have fun there guys

hcopp
Jun 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
just wondering, since ur from ann arbor, is that cus ur going to school or do u live there cus ill be heading there next year for u of m

might want to work on your spelling and grammar if you are going to be going to U of M. just some advice.

waterskier2007
Jun 20, 2007, 01:31 PM
might want to work on your spelling and grammar if you are going to be going to U of M. just some advice.

haha grammar in forums and grammar in school, and communicating to people differs a lot.

cookiejuice
Jun 20, 2007, 02:42 PM
I did PoliSci/History double major. I am starting law school in the fall but I don't know exactly where I am going to end up yet. I am on the waitlist at Michigan. However, if I don't get off I am going to Emory. When I was a freshman I lived in Markely and then sophomore year I lived in West Quad. Let me tell you, two years in the dorms was dumb! But since you have to find housing 11 months in advance in Ann Arbor and no one mentioned that to me, I got screwed. After that I lived in a nice apartment on east and south u.

jpgodlew
Jun 20, 2007, 06:50 PM
Awesome to hear from all these U of M people! I'm planning on going down to the Cingular store in Clarkston (on Dixie). I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to make sure they'll have it on the 29th, but if for some reason they won't I'm going to head over to Somerset in the morning and camp out all day.

Twinkie
Jun 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
I planned on going to Twelve Oaks later in the day, just to see what the line situation looks like.

If it's absurdly long, that'll give me time to go to the COR store on Grand River, or one of the others in the vicinity. If memory serves, there are at least 6 COR stores within 30 minutes of Twelve Oaks.

Out of curiosity, why are so many Ann Arborites making the trek to Novi? There are two COR stores in Ann Arbor (one just off campus, and one on Washtenaw and Huron Parkway).

St. Germain
Jun 21, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'm in the Lansing area and my wife is planning on driving by the AT&T store by the Lansing Mall after work at 5pm. If there isn't an enormous line, she'll check it out. If there is a big line, we'll just order online. We're certainly not camping out all day for it though.

Speedracer04
Jun 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
I hear about everyone going to twelve oaks....what about somerset? Thats where I will be heading. I doubt I will get one on the 29th, wait for reviews and stuff and buy one a week later.

hcopp
Jun 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
im dipping out of work around 12-1, probably after lunch, and heading to novi with my boss. If there isn't a line when we get there, then we have plenty of time to dick around the area, if there is a line, hopefully we aren't too far back.

snackdog
Jun 23, 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm in Ann Arbor and plan to take Friday off. I have come up with two options:

1. Go wait in line at the AT&T store.
2. Go to a more distant AT&T store, possibly in Flint.

I guess I will go by the AT&T store in Ann Arbor in the morning and then hope my wife will rescue me occasionally to go to the bathtoom.

Any other ideas? I assume the Apple store will be a zoo.

xfiftyfour
Jun 23, 2007, 08:26 PM

I guess I will go by the AT&T store in Ann Arbor in the morning and then hope my wife will rescue me occasionally to go to the bathtoom.

You'll want to call those AT&T stores ahead of time to find out if they'll be getting any. I agree that the AT&T stores would probably be less busy, but wasn't it also rumored that not all of them would be getting some?

snackdog
Jun 23, 2007, 08:34 PM
You'll want to call those AT&T stores ahead of time to find out if they'll be getting any. I agree that the AT&T stores would probably be less busy, but wasn't it also rumored that not all of them would be getting some?

Yeah that's good advice -- I called both and they said they are getting them... I know Ann Arbor and Ypsi has some franchise stores that probably won't -- Flint is probably the same way.

skubish
Jun 23, 2007, 08:36 PM

There is an internal ATT memo floating around here that on the ATT wireless website there will be a link showing all the stores that will have the iPhone on Friday. I believe the link is going up on Wednesday.

snackdog
Jun 23, 2007, 08:42 PM
There is an internal ATT memo floating around here that on the ATT wireless website there will be a link showing all the stores that will have the iPhone on Friday. I believe the link is going up on Wednesday.

It would be nice if they showed how many phones too. :) I sure hope it doesn't come to waiting in line starting Thursday night...

That would be the benefit of a more obscure store -- maybe the line wouldn't start til noon?

Dakirith
Jun 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm planning on waiting at the Apple Store in Twelve Oaks mall. My only question is when to get there, I mean, they won't let us in the mall overnight, will they?

Also, if anyone wants to meet up and wait in line together, it could be a lot of fun. I have the next Friday off so I am game if it comes to waiting in line the night before.

emerrill
Jun 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I live in Novi, less the 2 miles from twelve oaks. Im not sure yet, but Im leaning towards the AT&T store just east of Grand River and Novi Rd. The other store I have scoped out, that is for sure getting them is at 14 Mile and Orchard Lake (M-10/Northwester also terminates there). I might change my mind and do the Apple Store when we find out more about the contracting for existing customers.

outdata326
Jun 25, 2007, 11:22 AM
If I was to trust any AT&T store it would be the Meridian Mall store. A friend of mine works there, and he knows a lot about macs. His name is Scott. I think I might be heading to 12 oaks though. Like everyone says it will be way cooler.

runninmac
Jun 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
My friend and I will be waiting outside the Woodland store. Im not sure if i want to spend the night in the mall though because there was a stabbing there a few months ago. Anyone know when the malls will be open to people in the morning?

emerrill
Jun 25, 2007, 12:36 PM
My friend and I will be waiting outside the Woodland store. Im not sure if i want to spend the night in the mall though because there was a stabbing there a few months ago. Anyone know when the malls will be open to people in the morning?

Most malls open around 9. Given the release time, I doubt they will be opening early. Personally, I probably won't head over to a store until noon or so.

waterskier2007
Jun 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
nvm im not buying mine there haha

Dakirith
Jun 25, 2007, 01:08 PM
UofM is a great school, it's where I am doing my undergrad right now. Bursley FTW! (Oh, and I firmly believe that you should walk from Bursley to Pierpont)

HailToTheVictor
Jun 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
UofM is a great school, it's where I am doing my undergrad right now. Bursley FTW! (Oh, and I firmly believe that you should walk from Bursley to Pierpont)

Why wouldn't you walk there? It's less than 5 mins.

Has anyone confirmed the ATT stores on Liberty or Washtenaw will be getting some in?

weslobombs
Jun 25, 2007, 02:31 PM
HEY GUYS!

i'm actually applying to AT&T today, in which case if they need people like i've heard they do, i might not be able to make it for launch. :(

but if i do,

SEE YOU AT TWELVE OAKS!

Raidersmojo
Jun 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
I planned on heading down there super early in the morning and getting in when the mall walkers do and just sitting outside the store until it opens then in there until 6 pm (my buddy is coming with me and buying his first macbook and possibly his friend too(two more switchers for me rack it)

but thursday when they have their plan solid I'm going to call and ask what time would be good to come stand in line to be sure I'm able to get a iPhone. then coming an hour earlier than that and standing in line :D
I'm guessing 2:30 I'll be there if not earlier

emerrill
Jun 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
I planned on heading down there super early in the morning and getting in when the mall walkers do and just sitting outside the store until it opens then in there until 6 pm (my buddy is coming with me and buying his first macbook and possibly his friend too(two more switchers for me rack it)

but thursday when they have their plan solid I'm going to call and ask what time would be good to come stand in line to be sure I'm able to get a iPhone. then coming an hour earlier than that and standing in line :D
I'm guessing 2:30 I'll be there if not earlier

I didnt see a previous post, are you coming to twelve oaks? Im also a little confused by the 2:30 part. Is that am or pm. pm would be way after the mall walkers are let in, and am would be pointlessly early. Since there are many entrances, you cant know that other people arent at another door and are going to beat you to the store.

emerrill
Jun 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
Some time info for twelve oaks. I havent called to see if they are doing things different for the launch, but normally, on a friday, doors open at 8 for walkers. Stores open at 10.

Also, you likely wouldnt be 'allowed' to wait in the store, because then they have no way of keeping the line formed. I would guess that will have ropes out in the hall.

dagomike
Jun 25, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'm in Lansing and planning on checking out the ATT store. I'll probably go home after work and we'll check it out on the way to dinner. At the very least I'd like to see it in person. If they have any when I get there, and I don't get reamed with my existing contract (2 months before early upgrade) and the data plan isn't more than $30 or so, and it seems meets my expectations, the stars will align and I'll probably get one. Can't say I'm counting on getting one though, but who knows...

I think it's hard to guess what the demand will be. It's all about how many units they get in, how many people are willing to pony up the cash for both the device and data plan, and how many are able w/ their current contract situation.

dernhelm
Jun 25, 2007, 04:08 PM

Any news on when Briarwood's store will open? Won't be a nice as Somerset Mall's, but will certainly be a lot closer...

dernhelm
Jun 25, 2007, 04:12 PM

I think construction on 23 is pretty good for the way UP to Flint, but hallacious for the way back home. I've trekked it for 7 of the last 8 weeks. It's not been fun.

If you're just out to buy the phone, find a local AT&T store (maybe one in Dexter?). If you want the _experience_ you've got to go to an Apple store. Somerset is the nicest one.

robotspacer
Jun 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
I live real close to Novi, so it's either the Apple store in Twelve Oaks or one of the AT&T stores in the area. Tough call. The Apple store will probably be more fun, and they'll probably have more phones, but I'm also expecting WAY more people to be there.

Right now my plan is to check a couple of places earlier in the day, see how long the lines are, and try to find out how many phones each place is getting.

BugDave
Jun 25, 2007, 05:25 PM
I'll be at the Apple Store in Somerset Mall. Hopefully someone will either play card games, internet games via laptop+wifi, drink or just shoot the **** with me. PM or IM me if your interested so we can get something planned.:)

irkedpenguin
Jun 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
Why wouldn't you walk there? It's less than 5 mins.

Has anyone confirmed the ATT stores on Liberty or Washtenaw will be getting some in?

The store on liberty has a sign saying the iPhone is coming... hopefully that means they are getting them...

snackdog
Jun 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
The store on liberty has a sign saying the iPhone is coming... hopefully that means they are getting them...

I called both stores and they both said they will have them. I assume the Apple store at 12 Oaks will be really busy. I'd hate to wait in line and be turned away.

icshih
Jun 25, 2007, 06:03 PM
I live in East Lansing and planning to AT&T shop in Meridian Mall. Though visiting Apple stores should be more fun, but I would rather get one quickly and go home playing with it. :)

Does anyone know if Meridian Mall has wifi hotspots near the AT&T shop?

jaydaum
Jun 25, 2007, 07:29 PM
I will definately be at Somerset on Friday...well if I can get out off of work that is. Look forward to the chaos.

BugDave
Jun 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
I will definately be at Somerset on Friday...well if I can get out off of work that is. Look forward to the chaos. Goodluck! I'll be there around 2:30pm. I am going to wear a "Hello" sticker with my forum alias written on it. Hopefully other macrumors fans will do the same...

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9528/hellomaces9.jpg

jthrasher
Jun 25, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm in Grand Rapids. I have no idea what time I should try and get in line. I'll probably head over in the morning and see if there is anything going on. If not, I'll come back later.

The Apple store and AT&T stores are in the same mall only a few stores away from each other.

merictay
Jun 26, 2007, 08:23 AM
I am coming in from out of town. I will be in the Birminigham area. Do you think I should hit the Apple store at Somerset or a nearby AT&T store? Interested to head some feedback.

Dakirith
Jun 26, 2007, 08:56 AM
If anyone wants to meet up at Twelve Oaks send me a PM or e-mail me at wweidendorf [at] gmail (dot) com hope to see you all there!

BugDave
Jun 26, 2007, 11:53 AM
I am coming in from out of town. I will be in the Birminigham area. Do you think I should hit the Apple store at Somerset or a nearby AT&T store? Interested to head some feedback. If you go to somerset you will be able to wait inside of the mall with air conditioning. I would imagine you'd have to wait outdoors at a small ATT store.

emerrill
Jun 26, 2007, 02:00 PM
The apple store should drop an extension cord and some plug strips out in the hall for the line of dorks to power their laptops :)

Also, all Apple Stores will close at 2pm:
"Apple retail stores will be closed on June 29 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. to get ready for the premiere of iPhone. We’ll open the doors again at 6:00 p.m., when you can be one of the first to see, try, and buy the iPhone. Be sure to arrive early — iPhone is available on a first-come, first-served basis."

http://www.apple.com/retail/

iZach
Jun 26, 2007, 08:34 PM
I am coming in from out of town. I will be in the Birminigham area. Do you think I should hit the Apple store at Somerset or a nearby AT&T store? Interested to head some feedback.

Birmingham is right down the street from Somerset (Adams or Coolidge, either one). I would definitely go to Somerset if I were you.

silverone
Jun 27, 2007, 10:24 AM
Hey All,

Here's my two-cents after pounding out details with AT&T in-person this week as well as the Apple Store @ Twelve Oaks.
Owning a business, my pooled minutes plan happens to be expiring July 9th with AT&T. I have five phones in MI currently and need to reassign two of them to Boston based numbers from expanding. All five phones are also older than dirt and I'd like to upgrade before re-signing with AT&T because of the iPhone for which I will purchases 2 of.

AT&T Info
-AT&T Business Customers are initially excluded from all/any iPhone plans - meaning, if you're like me and want 2 on Friday, I have to migrate my account over to an "individual" account. This takes time. If you are thinking about doing this, do so today by calling AT&T's business # the get the process started. This way, I will just be able to walk into an AT&T Corporate store Friday and add 2 iPhones to my already migrated Business-to-Individual Account. The main difference is the account is tied to my SSN and no longer my Tax ID. -No Biggie there!

-Make sure you are waiting inline at a corporate store - if you are unsure, call the store you're thinking about and ask if they're "corporate".

-You can find some AT&T stores that are right now, selling accessories for the iPhone. I was told that all MI stores have them and some have brought them out from the back room and some haven't. I bought two slip cases already of a stock that when I was there, they had 10 of. Glad I got those now as 10 will go quick come Friday.

-If you have questions like I did, call of visit them through Thursday. My matter was I guess complicated and I dealt with a very knowledgeable bloke who told me even he wasn't working Friday but at another local store as a "sales person".

-So key point here. If you need any more phones or are thinking about moving your entire family plan, etc. as much as I'f rather sit in the A/C'd Twelve Oaks Mall, unless you want to make a second trip, go to an AT&T store.

-Parking - the Gent at the store told me if I was coming back on Friday, to park three businesses over where he told me employees were told to park. He said the Store Manager will either close the front parking lot once a line begins or will also give up the area to local press and T.V. crews. Point is, if you want to get in and get out, don't set yourself up to get boxed in!

I asked him about activation since one iPhone is for an employee in MA. He reiterated the iTunes activation details and said that they could customized the activation info themselves but the number porting over issue is the big "unknown". He said that when requesting porting from another carrier to AT&T, all companies try to honor this in a timely period, normally. But he cautioned that so many initial requests could "bog-down" other carriers porting processes. Meaning, one activating via iTunes, your phone will only ring once the other carrier has done their duty.

Apple Store Info:
Had a Macbook Issue Monday so I was @ Twelve Oaks. Personally know a Genius there and he told me that once the gates go up Friday at 6, to simply walk up to a store associate. The store is apparently using alot of these mobile credit card stations to help minimize the counter lines. The problem here is that you can only do this if you're paying by credit card. Any other tender via the counters! Yuck, yet another line.

He also said they were coming up with a plan to "bogart" all the Macs after 6pm because they were worried about more lines of people signing into iTunes. I thought that was a mute point on Monday but after hearing about the activation via iTunes, I guess I can see the additional problem about having 25 Macs to activate personal accounts.

emerrill
Jun 27, 2007, 01:30 PM
Not that it's anything particularly surprising, but I talked to someone at the Twelve Oaks Apple Store, and they confirmed with a manager that they are moving all of the hallway kiosks away from the store, and that they will have the line barriers setup at 8 when the doors open to mall walkers. They knew of no provisions for anybody wanting to start earlier than that, and that mall security may kick you off the property if you try waiting outside overnight.

snackdog
Jun 27, 2007, 07:51 PM
Is anyone in Ann Arbor going to an AT&T store? Or is everyone going to the Apple Store? What's the theory behind that? More fun? More phones? Waiting inside?

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 27, 2007, 08:17 PM
Being originally from Michigan (now transplanted to BFK... err... Western Kentucky), I sure wish I could be up there with you guys... 12 Oaks would probably be the place for me to go.

Have fun up there. Wish I was there to experience the madness, even if I don't have the funds yet to get one.

lampcov
Jun 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
Anyone in the West BLoomfield area planning on hitting one of the local AT&T shops? I wouldn't mind finding a line buddy (So to speak).

merictay
Jun 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'm hearing about 1000 to 1400 phones per store. What is your best guess. Will apple stores sell out the first night? Do you think you'll have to be in line before 6 pm to get one? Or do you think you'll be able to show up around 8 pm, walk in and get one? Any thoughts.

emerrill
Jun 28, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm hearing about 1000 to 1400 phones per store. What is your best guess. Will apple stores sell out the first night? Do you think you'll have to be in line before 6 pm to get one? Or do you think you'll be able to show up around 8 pm, walk in and get one? Any thoughts.

If they are getting that many, then I dont think they will sell out at most store on launch night.

snackdog
Jun 28, 2007, 01:14 PM
Any word on how many phones per AT&T store? I can't imagine each one would have 1000.

emerrill
Jun 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
Any word on how many phones per AT&T store? I can't imagine each one would have 1000.

While I dont think it's likely, it's not totally out of the range of possibility. That would 'only' be about 2M units.

snackdog
Jun 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
TodayIniPhone.com suggests 20-40 iPhones per AT&T store.

Persistent Pro
Jun 28, 2007, 11:58 PM
I just dropped off some white castles and business cards to people camping out the AT&T store on six mile. They looked hungry at 8pm so at midnight I got them some whiteies. I plan to go back tomorrow, but my boss would not give me any time off. I hope I can get my 8GB. Peace

Once you go mac, you never go back, or
once you go mac, format it and send it back

Awesome Man

Dual 2.0 GHZ Power Mac G5
Dual 2.0 Intel Macbook Pro
30GB iPod Video
iKitty enclosure

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 06:09 AM
Right now there are 14 people inline at woodland. I got here at 6:15 and am 12, only 11 more hours!

dsjr2006
Jun 29, 2007, 07:40 AM
Any Muskegon people planning on getting one from the Muskegon AT&T store?

hcopp
Jun 29, 2007, 08:34 AM
Right now there are 14 people inline at woodland. I got here at 6:15 and am 12, only 11 more hours!

if you could keep updating how many people are there, thatd be great. deciding if i should scope out local ATT store or head out to woodland.

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
if you could keep updating how many people are there, thatd be great. deciding if i should scope out local ATT store or head out to woodland.

No problem, it seems were getting a new person every 45 minutes, so now there is 17 people, 2 at the at&t store at woodland and I called my friend who is at the at&t store at Alpine had about 5 people at 9am.

hcopp
Jun 29, 2007, 08:45 AM
No problem, it seems were getting a new person every 45 minutes, so now there is 17 people, 2 at the at&t store at woodland and I called my friend who is at the at&t store at Alpine had about 5 people at 9am.

are you guys waiting inside? I might be heading out there after lunch, depends what our local ATT store is like.

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 08:52 AM
are you guys waiting inside? I might be heading out there after lunch, depends what our local ATT store is like.

Yeah, the mall staff is great! They gave us free pastries from starbucks and let us bring the sitting area chairs and move them to the line. Now there's about 20 inline.

hcopp
Jun 29, 2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah, the mall staff is great! They gave us free pastries from starbucks and let us bring the sitting area chairs and move them to the line. Now there's about 20 inline.

gah, i wish I was in line now.

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
gah, i wish I was in line now.

If you come now you will get to sit next to the first girl in line! she's number 21.

nuclearwinter
Jun 29, 2007, 09:18 AM
So if I get to the Woodland Apple Store around 12:45 today, can someone predict about how long the line might be, given the present rate of growth? My brother and I are considering driving from Holland.

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 09:29 AM
So if I get to the Woodland Apple Store around 12:45 today, can someone predict about how long the line might be, given the present rate of growth? My brother and I are considering driving from Holland.

It would probably have 30-35 people in it, depending if people decide to just take a 1/2 day of work after their lunch break.

cosmichop
Jun 29, 2007, 09:33 AM
Is anybody waiting in the line at 12 Oaks? If so, how many people are in the line?

asluiter
Jun 29, 2007, 11:07 AM
I am currently last in line @ Woodland. Chillin' on the floor. Got here around 11:50. Currently about 30-40 people here.

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 11:41 AM
Woodland is awesome! I just heard that if you want the security can escort you out to your car afterwards!

asluiter
Jun 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
Agreed! Woodland rocks. Runninmac, where you at in line? I'm chillin' by the big 'ole sign that changes all the time.

kylos
Jun 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
Well, as of 1:45 pm the Flint AT&T has 5 people in line. I finally convinced myself that I can wait until the 2nd or 3rd gen to buy one for myself when the bugs will be worked out and they'll hopefully be 3G, and I decided not to pick one up to sell on ebay partly because I didn't want to wait in line and partly because it looks as though Apple may have enough stock to not make it really profitable.

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 01:10 PM
Im in front of the statute facing starbucks. Heres a picture... I just met these guys today, their hilarious!

SnarkMan
Jun 29, 2007, 01:20 PM
Is anybody waiting in the line at 12 Oaks? If so, how many people are in the line?

There were about 20 people in line at Twelve Oaks at 8:30am this morning. As of 1pm I heard from someone I know there that there were about 80-100 people in line. The mall has set up several hundred yards of velvet rope to cordon off the line.

Tofaha
Jun 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
i was at somerset an hour ago...and the line was pretty impressive!!
it streched from the beginning of the store to the middle of the mall (the large pool).
Fox 2 was there and they were interviewing people!
i wish i was in line:rolleyes:

SnarkMan
Jun 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
There were about 20 people in line at Twelve Oaks at 8:30am this morning. As of 1pm I heard from someone I know there that there were about 80-100 people in line. The mall has set up several hundred yards of velvet rope to cordon off the line.

Here's a photo from 8:30a this morning...

hcopp
Jun 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
im in line at the AT&T store at meridian mall in okemos. The guy said I am guaranteed an 8 gig based on my spot in line. though I might just get the 4.

3 more hours!

sweet160
Jun 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
If i would live in the states, I would try to get one also the night it came out!

So enjoy it dudes ! :D

emerrill
Jun 29, 2007, 02:31 PM
Some pics from 12 Oaks.
Apple has provided SmartWater and Starbucks Coffee.

Twinkie
Jun 29, 2007, 02:34 PM
Some pics from 12 Oaks.
Apple has provided SmartWater and Starbucks Coffee.
How many people do you think are in line?

I'm just about to head out... should I hit an AT&T store instead?

snackdog
Jun 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
I would guess maybe 100 people?

emerrill
Jun 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
How many people do you think are in line?

I'm just about to head out... should I hit an AT&T store instead?

~100 we think

mlevack
Jun 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
Any update on the line at somerset?

hcopp
Jun 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
Any update on the line at somerset?

why don't you go find out for yourself.

Roy Hobbs
Jun 29, 2007, 03:41 PM
why don't you go find out for yourself.

Why be a prick when someone asks a simple question.

Answer or ignore the question there is no need to be rude.

hcopp
Jun 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
Why be a prick when someone asks a simple question.

Answer or ignore the question there is no need to be rude.

it was a joke brah, i know him.

Tofaha
Jun 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
will they still be open till midnight if they're out of iphones??
i just want to go and play with them:D

mlevack
Jun 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
I would have to think that if they are staying oen until midnight they are going to have enough phones to sell. Rumor sites have been reporting 1500 phones per Apple store.

Some of us have to work and cant get in line yet, so I hope they rumors are true :-)

cthorp
Jun 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
Waiting for our new iPhone.

BugDave
Jun 29, 2007, 04:38 PM
I am here with a guy who reads the forums. We are at the Somerset location at about the 110th spot in line. There are about 250-300 people in line. The line has just started moving since 1pm when we got here. There is black paper covering the store windows. ATT reps have been answering questions all day long and bottles "smart water" has been provided by apple to all for free.

P.S. Going to the mall location was a great idea. There are SOOO many hot women!

junior77
Jun 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
P.S. Going to the mall location was a great idea. There are SOOO many hot women!

Yep, somerset is where all the super hot women go...talk about getting dressed up to goto the mall!!

So, 200-300 ppl waiting in line for the iPhone....I so want one, just can't justify the cost yet..

Maybe after some bugs get flushed out...new features...user reviews.

And maybe after AT&T starts giving some rebates...(doubt that will happen) with this much of a demand for them.

HailToTheVictor
Jun 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
The ATT store on Liberty in Ann Arbor had nobody in line until noon. I was # 9 when I go there at two, there were about 100 people in line when I left with my 8gb which I am now gonna open :D

snackdog
Jun 29, 2007, 07:15 PM
I got out two phones around 6:15 in Novi. I'd say by 7 or 7:30 the line was clear. Go on and get one -- there should be plenty.

ururk
Jun 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
Went to 12 Oaks at about 7:30~8:00ish. Tried out the iPhone, got to hold/use it. Nice, much better than my iPaq (no question it wouldn't be). Wish it had a bigger screen :D

The store was packed, but not inaccessible. The middle central aisle was kept mostly clear.

I'm going to hold out, though. I'm happy with my current phone (Motofone F3), and do not want to be tied to a contract.

age234
Jun 29, 2007, 08:32 PM
I stopped by the Apple Store at Woodland Mall around 3:30. I saw how long the line was and turned around and left. :p

They had quite the security detail out front, though. Four or so security guards by the doors and a few others walking around.