Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Although everybody loves going through playlists with a flick of a finger and the coverflow feature, do you think any of those other iPhone features would be viable additions to the iPod?

If I wasn't tied down to Verizon or if Verizon got the iPhone, I would get rid of my cell phone, Palm TX, and iPod in a heartbeat. Besides combining those three devices, a mobile version of Safari had me sold.

Unfortunately, I think when people think of the iPod 6G, they think of the iPhone minus all of the apps inside.

But, do you think Apple could leave everything from the iPhone in a iPhone-derived iPod besides phone functionality? I just would really like the iPod be upgraded to not only a music player, but also an Internet device all through WiFi. I suppose this could cannibalize sales, but maybe not. I just they are good features to have in a $299-$399 device that isn't a smart phone.

Just thoughts...

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Rumours

I would love te next iPod to be an iPhone without the phone, but I think your right, if Apple releases it too close to the iPhone release, people will just buy iPod's.

It makes me wonder though, when will the next iPod be out? There have been numerous rumours about Quarter Three of this year, but, this would be strange because the iPhone doesnt release in the UK until later this year, nearer christmas apparently... so maybe we will be waiting longer than we think... On the other hand, there are still 6 months of this year left, and Apple would be stupid to miss out on the "Back To School" time of year, and/ or Christmas with something like the iPod, they make millions at these points in the year, as iPod's etc. make excellent presents.

We'll just have to wait and see i guess.... :confused:

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
I don't think releasing an iPod that looks like the iPhone, complete with the touchable widescreen, would necessarily interfere with the iPhone. Don't give it any sort of communications (no phone, no text messaging, etc.) and no Internet, and it would be sitting at a different platform than the iPhone. The people who want an iPod phone get what they want, and then the people who didn't want an iPhone but like the touch widescreen (which almost everyone does) get the new iPod. Of course, the people who wanted just the iPod part of the iPhone get stuck with the iPhone. Either way, Apple makes $$$.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
If you really have to sign up for a 2 year plan to buy an iPhone there won't be very many people doing that just to get a touch screen iPod. A few but not millions.

I suspect new iPods will be announced in fall once the iPhone has had the spotlight to itself for a few months. I would guess that there will be a flash-based 16GB one and an 80 or 100GB hard-drive based one (that is thicker). And probably a 16GB nano announced. Just in time for Christmas shopping.

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.