Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Nick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Hey, I'm going to be ordering a Macbook pretty soon for school, and just wondering what dedicated card the included GMA950 would be comparable to. Now, I know the 950 is craptastic as far as gaming goes, but I have a desktop where I can do that. The only gaming I'll be doing on my laptop would be the occational Starcraft, WarCraft3, and possible a bit of NWN1.

The other specs of the Macbook would be:

2.16C2D
1.5GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM (upgrading with aftermarket RAM :) )
120GB HDD @ 540RPM

So in this situation, would the graphics capabilities be comparable to, say, a FX5200? More? Less? Just looking for a general idea here. Thanks.

sanzaborn33

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Chicago
So in this situation, would the graphics capabilities be comparable to, say, a FX5200? More? Less? Just looking for a general idea here. Thanks.

This is a good question. I have an old Powerbook G4 12" with the Geforce Go 5200 64MB and I would like to get some comparison to the MacBook's and the GMA 950. Searching...

EDIT: Specs on the Geforce Go 5200:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=74&pgno=0

Specs on the GMA 950:

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

It looks like the GMA 950 is just a much newer card when compared to the old, outdated and poorly inadequate Geforce 5 series cards in general.

Still searching on what is comparable to the GMA 950 chipset from the ATI and nVidia camps...

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Now, I know the 950 is craptastic as far as gaming goes, but I have a desktop where I can do that. The only gaming I'll be doing on my laptop would be the occational Starcraft, WarCraft3, and possible a bit of NWN1.
3D gaming, it does rather leave a lot to be desired... but there are those playing HL2 quite happily. Starcraft, WarCraft3 - no probs - would think that would be the case with Neverwinter.

Can't help you in terms of what the GMA 950 is equivalent to - but I always like to base such things on real-world usage - if you do a search you'll find quite a few user experiences which will give you an idea, plus some people have uploaded footage of games running on MBs - take a look!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.