PDA

View Full Version : Installing Tiger on a G3 iMac

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 09:51 AM
I've decided to install 10.4 on my G3 since the 10.3 disc was unreadable :o

So...it meets the system requirements of Tiger and it can read the disc. The pop-up appears that says "Click 'Restart' to begin the installation process." . I click Restart and it, of course, restarts. But it just sits on the Apple screen [no spinning wheel] forever. It never starts booting to the CD. Even if I hold down C.

I'd really like to try it again, but if it doesn't work [as usual], it won't boot to the hard drive and let me eject the disc, so I have to take it the iMac apart to get the disc out myself.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

wrldwzrd89
Jun 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
I've decided to install 10.4 on my G3 since the 10.3 disc was unreadable :o

So...it meets the system requirements of Tiger and it can read the disc. The pop-up appears that says "Clcik 'Restart' to begin the installation process." . I click Restart and it, of course, restarts. But it just sits on the Apple screen [no spinning wheel] forever. It never starts booting to the CD. Even if I hold down C.

I'd really like to try it again, but if it doesn't work [as usual], it won't boot to the hard drive and let me eject the disc, so I have to take it the iMac apart to get the disc out myself.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
There's a little trick you can use to eject a stuck disc. Hold down the mouse button while the computer is starting up (Note: Must be a wired mouse, and if you have a third-party mouse the left button is the one to hold down).

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 10:14 AM
There's a little trick you can use to eject a stuck disc. Hold down the mouse button while the computer is starting up (Note: Must be a wired mouse, and if you have a third-party mouse the left button is the one to hold down).

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks :D

shu82
Jun 20, 2007, 10:18 AM
Could it be your disk? Is it scratched. If its too old you may have to "aquire" an old backup image. Also, when the dvd player is as old as these, they sometimes dont like to boot off of dvd's.

Do you have another mac you can use for target disk mode? Maybe borrow a friends for a few hours?

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 11:08 AM
Could it be your disk? Is it scratched. If its too old you may have to "aquire" an old backup image. Also, when the dvd player is as old as these, they sometimes dont like to boot off of dvd's.

Do you have another mac you can use for target disk mode? Maybe borrow a friends for a few hours?

Actually, these are CD's. How do I acquire an old backup image?

No, I don't have another Mac at the moment. And the only friend I know that has a Mac lives an hour away, and she has an iMac G5 so it'll be trouble carrying it here. Plus, I don't know her too well, so she'll most likely not let me.

madmaxmedia
Jun 20, 2007, 11:22 AM
You might want to check out Lowendmac.com, they have lots of good info on the older Macs.

Which model do you have? The older iMacs have some restrictions on maximum HD size, and need to be partitioned before you can install OS X. IIRC you also need to make sure the firmware is totally up to date.

If you have a DVD player though, I suspect you have one of the newer ones.

G4DP
Jun 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
If I remember correctly Tiger is to big for a CD hence it came on a Install DVD, that's probably why. It can't find all the information it needs to start the process going.

madmaxmedia
Jun 20, 2007, 12:07 PM
I think you can get it on CD's too (though I'm not sure whether the OP has CD or DVD). If so, during the regular install process it will tell you when it needs the next CD.

lil' brudder
Jun 20, 2007, 12:26 PM
I have an iMac G3 500Mhz DV and it runs 10.4 like a charm. Sure, it took quite a while for it to finish the installation, but it worked ok. You do have a true version of OS X right? (As in, not a cd that came with a dif. computer.)
Also, I did an upgrade from Mac OS 10.2.

If it helps any, you can compare it to my specs taken straight from system profiler:

Machine Name: iMac
Machine Model: PowerMac2,2(still duno why the crap it says PowerMac)
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (83.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.1.9f1

ATA Bus:

QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30:

Capacity: 27.98 GB
Model: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30
Revision: A01.0F00
Serial Number: 614025952523
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: Yes
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 27.98 GB
Available: 2.74 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s5
Mount Point: /

MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8186:

Model: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8186
Revision: FB12
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 1
Socket Type: Internal

ATY,Rage128Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 8 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5052
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-XXXXX-109
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Half that stuff was probably useless, but then again, maybe(hopefully) not.

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 01:58 PM
OK, to answer the questions without the multi-quoting [Internet's acting a bit funny today]...

My iMac is a graphite model, so it has the slot load DVD drive.

I have the Mac OS X 10.4 Install Discs, 1-4 of 4.

I think they are too scratched up to install OS X Tiger. Base System Part 1 installs successfully, but when it gets around 70% for installing Essentials, it says that the installation could not be completed and to retry.

Any help?

madmaxmedia
Jun 20, 2007, 02:01 PM
You need new install CD's/DVD.

Are you near an Apple store? They might exchange it for you.

mrkramer
Jun 20, 2007, 02:05 PM
I think that you may be right about them being too scratched to install, but did you also get all firmware updates before trying to upgrade from OS 9, and also are you installing it onto a partition of 8GBs or less?

madmaxmedia
Jun 20, 2007, 02:08 PM
The firmware needs to be up to date, but even if it wasn't that shouldn't have caused the install to stop.

On a slot-loading iMac, you don't need to limit the OS X install partition size.

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
You need new install CD's/DVD.

Are you near an Apple store? They might exchange it for you.

Nope. They're 3 hours away :(

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think that you may be right about them being too scratched to install, but did you also get all firmware updates before trying to upgrade from OS 9, and also are you installing it onto a partition of 8GBs or less?

I've never had OS9 on this iMac [as far as I've used it].

Sweetfeld28
Jun 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
I had the same kind of issues when i installed 10.3 on My B/W G3. Sometimes it would get 70, 80, or 90% then quit working, but then i realized that it was my faulty HD. After i swapped the HDs, it installed just fine.

I haven't installed 10.4 yet because i only have 10.4 on a DVD, but hopefully when i get the chance i will install one of my DVD drives from my main MDD G4 into it to get it installed.

classof2011
Jun 20, 2007, 02:45 PM
I had the same kind of issues when i installed 10.3 on My B/W G3. Sometimes it would get 70, 80, or 90% then quit working, but then i realized that it was my faulty HD. After i swapped the HDs, it installed just fine.

I haven't installed 10.4 yet because i only have 10.4 on a DVD, but hopefully when i get the chance i will install one of my DVD drives from my main MDD G4 into it to get it installed.

I don't have a hard drive with OS X on it, nor an enclosure for 3.5" hard drives...or any enclosures at that :(

dpaanlka
Jun 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
are you installing it onto a partition of 8GBs or less?

That doesn't apply to slot loading iMacs. You can have a single partition using the entire capacity of large drives on those systems.

JAT
Jun 23, 2007, 08:46 AM
If you think your discs might be trashed and are ready to toss them anyway, there is no harm in trying to fix them. Use a Disc Dr. or car polish, or even toothpaste (not gel, paste) to try to get rid of the scratches. May sound weird, but it has worked for many people. This could also mess up the discs worse if you don't know what you are doing, so I only recommend this as a last resort, or to those who have done it before.

ReanimationLP
Jun 23, 2007, 08:51 AM
Either that, or see if a friend works for a video store/bribe the kid behind the counter at the Blockbuster to run your discs through their resurfacing machines.

Man, that machine makes crap discs look and play like new again! :D

classof2011
Jun 23, 2007, 02:45 PM
Either that, or see if a friend works for a video store/bribe the kid behind the counter at the Blockbuster to run your discs through their resurfacing machines.

Man, that machine makes crap discs look and play like new again! :D

Hmm...why would I have to bribe them? :confused:

classof2011
Jun 23, 2007, 02:47 PM
If you think your discs might be trashed and are ready to toss them anyway, there is no harm in trying to fix them. Use a Disc Dr. or car polish, or even toothpaste (not gel, paste) to try to get rid of the scratches. May sound weird, but it has worked for many people. This could also mess up the discs worse if you don't know what you are doing, so I only recommend this as a last resort, or to those who have done it before.

I've got a Tiger DVD coming in Monday but since I have nothing to really do with these discs, I guess I'll give it a shot :D

shu82
Jun 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
I like you're new sig. I seem to have that same voice screaming in my head. I am rebuilding a flower power right now. Also I am going to nashville tomorrow to trade a 1.5 G4 powerbook for a G5 imac! I Guess i will get a G4 next. But those G3s are just to good looking! I hope that DVD fixes your problem.

ReanimationLP
Jun 26, 2007, 01:18 AM
Hmm...why would I have to bribe them? :confused:

Cuz some of the video store clerks I've run into are asshats, who wont really do anything to help you out.

classof2011
Jun 26, 2007, 01:34 PM
It worked!!! I got a Tiger DVD in and I installed it successfully!!! It is up-to-date and all.

But how do I disable Spotlight and Dashboard? Spotlight is pretty useful to me, though I don't really need Dashboard on.

Also got it to work with the 40GB hard drive, so it's going well! It's current specs are :

400MHz / 40GB HDD / 512MB RAM / OS X 10.4.10 :)

classof2011
Jun 26, 2007, 01:39 PM
I like you're new sig. I seem to have that same voice screaming in my head. I am rebuilding a flower power right now. Also I am going to nashville tomorrow to trade a 1.5 G4 powerbook for a G5 imac! I Guess i will get a G4 next. But those G3s are just to good looking! I hope that DVD fixes your problem.

Thanks :D . I saw a Flower Power one on eBay that looked interesting....I like the way G4's look but since everyone does, they're hard to come by at a good price.

The DVD definitely fixed it. After it went past 69% on installing Essentials, I was excited.

dpaanlka
Jun 26, 2007, 01:40 PM
But how do I disable Spotlight and Dashboard? Spotlight is pretty useful to me, though I don't really need Dashboard on.

Once Spotlight has finished indexing your entire drive the first time, it really doesn't do much henceforth and is probably best to leave it on.

If you remove all your widgets by holding down Option, moving the mouse over each widget, and clicking the "X" that appears, and then go to "Manage Widgets" and disable all of them, then also remove "Manage Widgets," and never invoke Dashboard, it also doesn't take up any resources.

Also, you can remove the Dashboard icon from your dock. I always thought it looked stupid there anyway.

ricgnzlzcr
Jun 26, 2007, 01:40 PM
It's funny that the machine costs less than buying an installation of Tiger. It just goes to show that they're very capable machines.

I'm writing from a powermac cube with 1.25gb of RAM, an 80gb hard drive, and a Superdrive. It performs 95% of my needs perfectly. Old machines can still give lots of great use. Enjoy your imac!

dpaanlka
Jun 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm writing from a powermac cube with 1.25gb of RAM, an 80gb hard drive, and a Superdrive. It performs 95% of my needs perfectly. Old machines can still give lots of great use. Enjoy your imac!

You think that's old (http://www.system7today.com)? Hah! You are but an amateur!

madmaxmedia
Jun 26, 2007, 01:44 PM
Spotlight might not be that bad to keep around, AFTER it finishes indexing your files.

As far as Dashboard goes, just never call it up. I think the dashboard apps don't launch by default, which is why they're so slow to come up the first time you call up Dashboard. So you can disable F12 for that.

There's probably some other way too, I just don't know it.

It worked!!! I got a Tiger DVD in and I installed it successfully!!! It is up-to-date and all.

Also got it to work with the 40GB hard drive, so it's going well! It's current specs are :

wrldwzrd89
Jun 26, 2007, 03:58 PM

Remove all widgets and also disable the methods for accessing it. That'll make it go away. You can't really turn it off though.

Stroller
Jun 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hello all,

I was searching for a solution to an issue I am having with reinstalling 10.4 on an old imac (G3 slot loading, 350MHz). I've had 10.4 running on it with no issues for the last year but the last update froze the machine. Not knowing what to do & suspecting it was to much for my old mac, went the route of reinstalling 10.4 & just not downloading the update that caused all the issues. In the process of finishing the installation the process stalls out on disk 4. The screen says optimizing performance or something of that nature & the bar showing how close you are to being done is about 80% complete. It's done this about 3 times.

I've used macs since the mid 80's, & even had a Lisa prior to the first mac 128 (upgraded to 256!!!).

This is basically my backup machine, I use a PowerBook G4. I had loaned it to a friend & they ran the update. The only after market item added to the the mac was a gig of ram.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Stroller

dpaanlka
Jun 28, 2007, 10:51 AM
There is no reason a Software Update would just *break* a supported machine. You always want to run the latest update available for your OS.

What you're describing sounds like you may have a bad hard drive. Boot back into the Mac OS CD, go to Disk Utility and verify your disk and see what happens.

Stroller
Jun 28, 2007, 11:07 AM
I actually ran Check it on the HD & found no issues. I also ran another utility that found no issues.

I thought the whole thing was strange. The only thing I've not done is run a surface scan.

I didn't think an update would cause issues, but that's when it froze.

dpaanlka
Jun 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
\I didn't think an update would cause issues, but that's when it froze.

Which could mean it wrote over a bad sector of your hard drive. Same with your installation failure.

Stroller
Jun 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
Well then, is it time to pull the 6 gig drive & replace with something else. I need to do some searching I guess to see who has a cheap drive.