Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefourthtenor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I picked up my second 17" High-res macbook pro yesterday from the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue. I exchanged my first 17" High-res macbook pro from the Westchester Apple store because there was a dark band a few millimeters thick along the bottom edge of the screen. Unfortunately, this same problem exists with the replacement brand new 17inch high-res MBP as well. This is visible at all times. It almost looks like a shadow, or a darker part of the screen. It is always there, no matter how bright the screen is.

In addition, the bottom left hand corner of the screen, about one centimeter into the screen, is darker than the rest of the screen. The bottom right hand corner is not as noticable but you can clearly see that it is darker, or has a shadow-y tint over it.

You'll be able to see all of this if you minimize your dock and switch to one of the Abstract backgrounds. (I'm using Abstract 6 right now). What you may see is... (from bottom to top, within 1 inch from the bottom) a light band, followed by a dark band that looks like a shadow, followed by the rest of the screen, which is the same shade as the first band from the bottom of the screen.

This really upsets me because I paid a lot of money for this brand new MBP.

Is there anyone out there who doesnt have this problem?

Edit: While I was at the apple store, i checked out the 17inch MBPs that were on the floor. None of them were High Res. They all had this issue as well. Do you think they'll recall our beautiful new babies?

milky23

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
yeah, i have the dark band at the bottom of the screen. that doesn't bother me so much as all the other problems i've had with this machine.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I noticed what I think you are talking about after looking very hard. I can't imagine this is a recall issue. In fact, this wouldn't even bother me enough to send it back even if it did. IMHO you would have to be looking for a defect to even notice this....

I don't have any dead/stuck pixels and the display looks great to me.

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
Whatever the case, if you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can take it back and demo the problem to an Apple Genius and its as obvious as you say it is, i don't see any reason, why Apple shouldn't replace it for you.

Also, its a good idea to compare your MBP with a store MBP to see if they also have the same problem. If they don't, you know that you got a stinker. When they do replace it for you, open it up there itself and turn it out to see if the same problem exists. It could be a faulty batch so check for the week of manufacture and ask for a more recent version if available.

kentfrancisco

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I haven't noticed any issues with the display that doesn't go away once it reaches full brightness (saw some very small dark patches in the bottom corners like you describe, but again, gone once full brightness was achieved).

I'll check again tonight, but it seems perfect to me.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I exchanged my first 17" High-res macbook pro from the Westchester Apple store because there was a dark band a few millimeters thick along the bottom edge of the screen.
Every MBP I've seen/used has had this band, although as someone else mentioned, it's not always as noticeable on screens that are warmed up.

Edit: talking this over with a friend, he reminded me that you could see these in the last generation PowerBook (with the hi-res screen), except you could see them around all 4 sides of the screen, not just the bottom.

kentfrancisco

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow, you have to look REALLY hard to see what you're talking about. I'm still not 100% sure it's actually there, but I can definitely make something out that could be some discoloration.

I use one of the black and white backgrounds with my dock up...don't notice a thing with that config.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I didn't have to look hard to see it on the three I've had. The first two were standard res and the third is a high res. The units on display at the Apple store had it, too. All the employees at the store saw it but had no idea what to do about it.

lundh

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2006
I've been told that there should be no darker regions och uneven backlight after seven minutes. If there is, you should have no problem getting it fixed. This is what Apple's support told me anyway.

I had the same kind of problem on my previuos MBP (17" CD) and I can definatly say this shadow will vary from display to display. Some have a very noticable darker region and some nothing at all, or at least very small differences.

If you are not satisfied then get it fixed. It costs to much to not be fully satisfied.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
yup, my new high res has a darker left corner than the right corner. i can also see a very faint dark area running along the bottom of the screen.

however, this does not bother me one bit. i'd rather have this than a dead pixel any day of the week!

rock on!

coogee

macrumors regular
May 28, 2007
there is a little backlight bleeding visible at the base of my screen but well within the parameters of all lcd screens imo, this is what, to me, is causing the darker band effect you describe. (ie; it's a shadow)

there's no denying the screen is not perfect, nor do i think lcd laptop screens ever will be for quite some time, but i still find the screen jaw droppingly gorgeous, even with this backlight bleeding and slightly darker corners.

my only complaint is finding video big and crunchy enough to satisfy my big screen needs :D

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Is it possible to post a picture of this? I'm thinking of getting one shortly, and I'd like to get an idea of any potential issues. Thanks!:)

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
I see the the dark corner at left and right.

However, the band on the bottom is lighter, not darker.

None of this bothers me.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Is it possible to post a picture of this? I'm thinking of getting one shortly, and I'd like to get an idea of any potential issues. Thanks!:)

it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. i barely even notice it. with my current desktop image, i don't see it at all!

this screen is absolutely beautiful. believe the hype. it's aaaaalllllll true baby! ;)

majick

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
I noticed the light/dark "band" (it's both actually!) immediatly after starting it up for the first time. I was pissed off and thinking about returning it because of the band, but after working a couple of hours I found myself not even noticing it anymore, so it's all fine. I can live with it. :)

I'm just glad the screen-backlight of my 1920x1200-MBP is relatively even and there are zero dead pixels – I'm not going to return it, it's BEAUTIFUL, I'm loving it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.