Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I posted a few days ago about low sound out of the internal speakers. Seems that's normal. What about with headphones? The volume level is just as low with headphones. Is that normal?

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Sound is turned up all the way both in System Prefs and in whatever app I'm using.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
are you deaf? j/k

more seriously, what are you using the macbook speakers for?

what's the environment?
are you looking to fill the whole room with sound?
or are you trying to hear it from another room?
are you trying to use it to drown out other sound?

have you tried adjusting the songs itself in itunes?

what are your expectations and do you have a reference level of sound?

i had a macbook and the volume is definitely lower than that of a macbook pro. (part of it has to do with design) the macbook speakers are built into the edge of case (where the hinges are) so the sound is designed to bounce off the screen and towards the user, whereas the macbook pro speakers are just right on top of the laptop, so it is more projecting

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
are you deaf? j/k

more seriously, what are you using the macbook speakers for?

what's the environment?
are you looking to fill the whole room with sound?
or are you trying to hear it from another room?
are you trying to use it to drown out other sound?

have you tried adjusting the songs itself in itunes?

what are your expectations and do you have a reference level of sound?

i had a macbook and the volume is definitely lower than that of a macbook pro. (part of it has to do with design) the macbook speakers are built into the edge of case (where the hinges are) so the sound is designed to bounce off the screen and towards the user, whereas the macbook pro speakers are just right on top of the laptop, so it is more projecting

No, not deaf and i'm talking about using the MB on my lap in my tiny studio apartment :(

The other day I could barely hear the narrator of a video playing on You Tube, that is how bad the volume output is. I tried with headphones, and it was no help at all. I should re-emphasize that the volume is turned up max in system prefs and in the player.

It's not just You Tube but it seems that You Tube is the worst. I use the MB to stream radio shows online. Usually that requires QT or Windows Media Player. Both go louder than You Tube, and are at least at an acceptable volume (I can hear what the person is saying). I rarely use the MB to play music because I have a desktop set up for that purpose.

amc382

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
yeah, the macbook speakers are kind of week, they're all hidden in the back.

use VLC, it lets you control the volume to 400%.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
yeah, the macbook speakers are kind of week, they're all hidden in the back.

use VLC, it lets you control the volume to 400%.

what a great tip! I had VLC but was having better luck with Nice Player for videos--but can VLC volume settings become universal so that streams I play in other players (and You Tube videos) are louder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.