Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Ive been lurking around here for a year or so.. thought it was useless to join before the switch..

i made it. and it was the best decision of my life. hah..

my parents both want macs now..

only had 1 problem though.. i plugged in my card reader with my compact flash card into it, and iphoto opened.. i pushed import and it asked if i wanted to duplicate the pictures because of the filename..

i pushed cancel.

every file is now corrupted. ahhhhh.. it was a very important photoshoot. anyone have a clue? maybe the .4.10 update will fix it?

Chook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
wont show up in iphoto or on the disk.
----------
neither.

i tried some recovery software.. but i only got a few (****** quality) photos recovered from them..

... this is killing me.

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Did you 'unmount' the card reader after canceling the import attempt? (unmounting would have entailed clicking on the desktop icon that represents the card reader and dragging it down to where the trashcan is)

When you disconnected the card reader did you get any kind of a message on the screen?

If you didn't unmount prior to disconnecting the card reader first, there is a really good chance that the files have been corrupted.

There are some file recovery tools available but I'm not sure if they will work in this instance. I'll do a little research and post back with the results.

Sopranino

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Same happened to a hard drive my mate had. Windows XP doesn't give you unmount instructions like OSX does. He used to just unplug his hard drive without unmounting.

One day, he didn't realise the hard drive was being written to and he unplugged it. A lot of his data got corrupted.

Get into the habit of unmounting your hard drives/flash drives etc. CMD+E when you select the drive is all it takes, and OSX will let you know if the drive cannot be unmounted because it is in use (i.e. being written to).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.