Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Just installed the update and everything seems to work fine except that i get this "thump" noise similar to the noise when you switch of/sleep the computer. It's only audible when i have my external speakers plugged in.

Every time the computer needs to make a sound you can hear this noise through the speakers and then after about 30 sec. of inactivity you can hear it again. Seems like the update switched on some power saving feature of the sound card... It sounds exactly like the sound you get through the speakers when you switch on the computer and then when you switch it off.

I'm on a 15" C2D MBP. Anybody getting the same issue?

:mad:

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
I tried to recreate the same problem on mine, but I haven't heard anything abnormal.

Edit- You are right. Every once in a while I hear a thump through my external speakers. I must have not had them turned up enough to notice it earlier.

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Yeap that's it.

and it should sound exactly like the sound you get when you switch on/off or sleep the computer.

And I'm pretty sure it wasn't there with 10.4.9 . I hope they fix this soon because it's annoying hearing this thump every time some sound comes on.

catachip

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia
I had this exact problem on my new santa rosa MacBook Pro prior to the 10.4.10 update - I think you just started noticing it. Its exactly what you describe, and if you look through the forums you'll see a number of posts on it. There is a click or thump right before making a sound, and then after about 30-60 sec the sound card seems to go into a power saving mode or something and there is another click. In my case, I notice a slight fuzz, hiss prior to the second click and then silence.

I'm hoping a fix of some sort is coming.

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I am a 100% sure it wasn't there before the update. I keep my speakers loud all the time so there is no way i wouldn't have noticed. It has to be a software problem.

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I meant that I hear the sound loud since the volume on my amplifier is turned up. It's especially annoying since after listening to some song loud, 30 sec or so after the song ends I get a loud thump.

Also, i'm using a 2.16 C2D MBP, not a SR MBP. I just get the two thumps, no hiss or any other noises.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Same here! Late 2006 MacBook C2D, appeared after 10.4.10 got installed. Spent hours trying to fix it - so far only fix has been to use the old Griffin iMic I have lying around.

Sucks that I can't use the audio out on the MacBook without it popping, though. Wonder if that happens on the optical?

katorga

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Same here

Same issue. Started with 10.4.10. The jack seems to go to sleep when no sound is playing then there is a slight "pop" when it wakes to play a sound. The same thing happens on my ipod when it wakes up.

It started with 10.4.10. If software caused it, then software can fix it. Should be just a matter of time.

I noticed that volume levels were much higher after the update.

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
this thing is pissing me of really bad!

I'm calling Apple tomorrow.

DanMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Same here! Late 2006 MacBook C2D, appeared after 10.4.10 got installed. Spent hours trying to fix it - so far only fix has been to use the old Griffin iMic I have lying around.

Sucks that I can't use the audio out on the MacBook without it popping, though. Wonder if that happens on the optical?

I have noticed the same click after updating to 10.4.10 and it also happens with my optical connection :(

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
I know this has something to do with power saving... Whenever I am booted up to vista on my macbook pro c2d 15"... when I'm in the audio driver settings and I enable powersave mode, whenever no audio is being played for more than so many seconds I hear the thump in my headphones... when the powersave mode is disabled I never hear it, but in os/x I am pretty sure powersave mode is always enabled on the intergrated audio, wonder if there is a way to shut if off manually in a kext driver?

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
EXACT same issue on a C2D iMac after installing the update.. I have not had time to call Apple yet. Anyone called?

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Hm, I have a MBP C2D but I plug in my monitors via my firewire sound card. I haven't heard this yet. Does this not happen with onboard speakers?

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
All of a sudden the perks of owning an Apple branded Macintosh is gone.

Like the hackintosh users, you also cannot upgrade to a new point update immediately :rolleyes:

Any update that goes out, some machines are going to get done by it. It's just whether or not it's yours.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I haven't noticed the thump you're describing under OS X yet, but what I do notice is a lot of audio corruption in the form of crackling when you get around 4 notches or so from max volume. These crackling sounds never used to be there on my old MBP, so I initially thought it was a hardware problem. Now, it seems that Apple just completely botched some of the drivers for the new MBPs, including the video and sound drivers.

I don't remember if the crackling occurred before the .10 update, as I had only had the computer for a day or two before I installed the update.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
I'm getting this exact issue on my 2.33GHz MPB C2D 15". I thought it was just me, how do we file this issue with Apple?

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
Doesn't happen with onboard speakers or external audio interfaces.

Not the exact same problem but a more annoying one with my echo audiofire 4. They seem to have released a firmware and software update which, I think, should fix it. I got pops and clicks through any audio playing but not when audio was not playing like with the inbuilt sound card and external speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.