PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's .Net site shows a woman using a PowerBook. Got...

MacBytes
Jul 9, 2003, 07:36 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft's .Net site shows a woman using a PowerBook. Gotta love marketing materials. (http://www.microsoft.com/net/)

AlanApple
Jul 9, 2003, 08:10 AM
Yes Microsoft is part of the Darl Side and have no business running the world with such a buggy operating system but why should they not show Apple hardware in their ad campaigns. Bill and his pals make software for the Mac - big thumbs up to Office 10 - so it seems natural they should have no qualms about featuring Macs in their ads.

Just replaced my Powermac G4 800 with a 17" iMac. Such a huge iMac fan now.

medea
Jul 9, 2003, 08:23 AM
yeah this happens alot in advertising, using macs because they just plain look better, funny thing is if you click on the photo the begining of the paragraph states "smart clients:..."

patrick0brien
Jul 9, 2003, 09:36 AM
-All

I just love it when this happens!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10403

jxyama
Jul 9, 2003, 09:56 AM
ha ha ha... that's pretty funny, on the official microsoft page too.

i guess the dead giveaway that it was a PB would be if this image gets replaced on the microsoft page in the near future...

Billicus
Jul 9, 2003, 10:24 AM
What kind of idiots do they have working over there, I mean other than Bill Gates of course. :D

XnavxeMiyyep
Jul 9, 2003, 11:45 AM
Bill Gates was probably loaning her his trusty Powerbook cuz he didn't feel like getting a new one:D

Das
Jul 9, 2003, 12:30 PM
That's why you do your own photography instead of relying on stock photos, the agencies always go for macs because that's all they use and they look cool in photos.

Hysterical though.

moosecat
Jul 9, 2003, 01:03 PM
While I don't really know what the hell .net is, I think it has some cross-platform components. (E.g., whatever it does with XML.)

A quick Googling revealed that Office v.X includes some .net stuff.

So this doesn't seem weird or inconsistent. Perhaps a missed opportunity to promote wintel boxes, but that's it.

tpjunkie
Jul 9, 2003, 01:06 PM
I bet its the guys in their design department...it would just figure if they used macs, and they probably thought, "what the heck? lets stick one in here"

MacFan25
Jul 9, 2003, 02:10 PM
heh...that's pretty funny. I've seen a few ads with macs in them promoting PC software. :D

superfunkomatic
Jul 9, 2003, 02:11 PM
this shouldn't be a surprise. i bet all there application documentation is put together on a mac in quarkxpress, rather than on a pc in microsoft publisher. plus it's pretty hard to find a sexier laptop or OS, right?

a few years ago someone discovered that one of the main microsoft webservers was a linux box (wish i could find the story now). trusty ol' reliable windows, eh?

windows 95 bad "imitation" of mac os
windows xp bad "imitation" of mac os x

superfunkomatic
Jul 9, 2003, 02:14 PM
ah, here's the link
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-872266.html

Abstract
Jul 9, 2003, 02:16 PM
At Microsoft, like at all other companies in operation, time is money. Do you really think Gates and the developers at Microsoft would operate their business on something as unreliable as Windows? ;)

zim
Jul 9, 2003, 06:34 PM
That image came from getty images. I bet that they just randomly selected it from the book.

Here is the link:
http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/search/detail.asp?source=searchResults&imageIndex=10&hdnSync=%22laptops%22+and+%22Females%3APeople%22%7E0%2C12%2C449%2C3%2C15%2C1%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C29360128% 2C0%2C1%2C0%2C0%2C0%2Cen%2Dus%2C1%2C%22laptops%22+and+%22Females%3APeople%22%2C967%2C257%2C1%2C&hdnCurrPage=5

actually, if you look around getty for lap tops, most of them seem to be powerbooks.

Flowbee
Jul 9, 2003, 08:17 PM
It's true. A lot of 'image collections' feature Macs in their computer/technology sections. You'd think that if you were working on a Microsoft project, you'd be suer-careful about the photo's you chose. In fact, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't produced an "in-house' image catalog for their various designers and ad agencies to use.

BigJayhawk
Jul 9, 2003, 08:56 PM
Guess what? All the links above seem to have no powerbook images for me. Conspiracy theories are fun when they are against Microsoft. heh

sparkleytone
Jul 9, 2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by BigJayhawk
Guess what? All the links above seem to have no powerbook images for me. Conspiracy theories are fun when they are against Microsoft. heh

you are either blind or dumb. pick one. the powerbook is there. its unmistakable. the mouse obviously has one button, the power button is in the same position as the PowerBook, and the keyboard is the appropriate color.

whether or not its really anything to care about is a good question, but there IS no question that there is a powerbook there.

RHutch
Jul 9, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
you are either blind or dumb. pick one. the powerbook is there. its unmistakable. the mouse obviously has one button, the power button is in the same position as the PowerBook, and the keyboard is the appropriate color.

whether or not its really anything to care about is a good question, but there IS no question that there is a powerbook there.

Maybe you are the one who is dumb. Before you sent off your reply, did you bother to check out whether the image was still where you saw it before? I have followed all of the links, including the one from the article at the Inquirer. All of them lead to the main .net page at Microsoft, and, as of the time of this post, there is no picture of a woman using a laptop on that page. Is the link given in the story not a direct link to the image location?

Be more careful and less of a jerk.

rjwill246
Jul 9, 2003, 11:33 PM
I can't find it either. It is not on the home site... please tell those of us who can't see it, where it is. Thanks.

sparkleytone
Jul 10, 2003, 01:25 AM

tazo
Jul 10, 2003, 02:27 AM
where? i guess they must have taken it down or something.

*wonders who the m$ spy is*

RHutch
Jul 10, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone

No one questioned whether the pic was at the Inquirer. However, give me a link to a Microsoft page showing the pic. If you can, great; we'd love to see it. That's what we were asking for. If not, stay out of this. You obviously aren't reading the posts carefully and have no idea what's going on. The whole point of this is that we're saying if the pic is not still there, then Microsoft must have taken it down because it showed a PB. Do you get it now?

zim
Jul 10, 2003, 11:03 AM
This was the picture, I can't seem to find it on the microsoft page either, only the inquirer. The image came from getty or photodisc.com, they are the same.

jxyama
Jul 10, 2003, 11:44 AM
like i wrote at the very beginning, no doubt the original pic (on the M$ page) was of a PB. that's probably why it was taken down.

the original article still carries the image with a pb, of course. the M$ has taken down the pic in favor of a non-pb one.

let's not fight here... in defense of sparkly, you did say you could not find the picture in all the links. that's not true because the original article on the inquirer has the pic with a pb. you should have written "all the links to the alleged M$ site..."