PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Minneapolis, MN

MacDryCleaner
Jun 21, 2007, 12:31 PM
Anybody want to post from Minneapolis where and if they are going to be on the 29th? We could order some food and make a day of it.

zgh1999
Jun 21, 2007, 12:41 PM
Anybody want to post from Minneapolis where and if they are going to be on the 29th? We could order some food and make a day of it.

Mall of America

paulyras
Jun 21, 2007, 01:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I was thinking of the highland park cingular store. I figure less busy, and I confirmed it is a corporate store, not a franchise.

I'm not married to the idea though.

How long were you thinking. I hadn't planned on. Getting there more than a few hours early.

Paul

Briellz
Jun 21, 2007, 09:14 PM
Im going to the store located on ford pkwy (St Paul).:D

paulyras
Jun 22, 2007, 08:04 AM
Im going to the store located on ford pkwy (St Paul).:D

Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to too. Any idea what time you're planning to get there? It would be nice to have someone to kill time with...

Paul

Briellz
Jun 22, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to too. Any idea what time you're planning to get there? It would be nice to have someone to kill time with...

Paul
I'll probably get there around 4:30ish - 5:00, Hopefully it won't be to busy. I can't imagine going to the Mall of America... Im sure the Apple store & the AT&T store will be super busy.

Check out the guided tour of the phone! (http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour_large.html) Im so excited man! :apple:

Brandon

paulyras
Jun 23, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'll probably get there around 4:30ish - 5:00, Hopefully it won't be to busy. I can't imagine going to the Mall of America... Im sure the Apple store & the AT&T store will be super busy.

Check out the guided tour of the phone! (http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour_large.html) Im so excited man! :apple:

Brandon

Cool. I'll PM you my email address. Lets try to meet up. It'll be good to have someone to shoot the ****** with while we wait. I was thinking somewhere between 3 and 5, but more towards 4-5. I live about 10 minutes from there, so I had planned on driving past that morning and maybe around 12 or 1 to make sure there wasn't a big line forming (I can't imagine).

I'd really prefer not to wait longer than my macbook charge, especially since people on the east coast will have had an hour or so to play with them before the stores open here.

Anyone else?

Paul

MacDryCleaner
Jun 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cool. I'll PM you my email address. Lets try to meet up. It'll be good to have someone to shoot the ****** with while we wait. I was thinking somewhere between 3 and 5, but more towards 4-5. I live about 10 minutes from there, so I had planned on driving past that morning and maybe around 12 or 1 to make sure there wasn't a big line forming (I can't imagine).

I'd really prefer not to wait longer than my macbook charge, especially since people on the east coast will have had an hour or so to play with them before the stores open here.

Anyone else?

Paul
I was going to go to the mall of america as well. I was thinking of getting in line at around 10 or so. are you thinking that is waaaaayyyyy too early? I wasn't counting on people saying they would get in line at 4 in the afternoon....I was thinking it would be crazy. anyway, it would be cool to meet up with a few forum members and shoot the s*&t.

Briellz
Jun 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
I was going to go to the mall of america as well. I was thinking of getting in line at around 10 or so. are you thinking that is waaaaayyyyy too early? I wasn't counting on people saying they would get in line at 4 in the afternoon....I was thinking it would be crazy. anyway, it would be cool to meet up with a few forum members and shoot the s*&t.

10AM? Damn bro, Thats super early! :eek: Keep in mind that 2 stores within the mall are providing the phone.

Paul....I'll shoot ya a PM in a minute.

B

jdsam
Jun 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
I dont have a plan yet, but was anyone thinking of going to ridgedale?

J

mikekrabb
Jun 25, 2007, 11:36 AM
Anyone in the west metro looking at getting one? If so - where at? Is there an AT&T store in Maple Grove/Plymouth that is corporately owned, or is the Ridgedale Apple store the closest location? Your thoughts? Lemme know!

TyroRoRo
Jun 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm thinking Southdale around 3. Anyone doing the same?

Veritas&Equitas
Jun 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone in the west metro looking at getting one? If so - where at? Is there an AT&T store in Maple Grove/Plymouth that is corporately owned, or is the Ridgedale Apple store the closest location? Your thoughts? Lemme know!
Yeah, I'll be at Ridgedale around 4ish I guess. Live right by there, so it's my neck of the woods...

jdsam
Jun 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
What time are the stores closing? Maybe i missed it, but are they staying open any later than normal like they did with the tiger launch?

J

thomasfxlt
Jun 25, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ridgedale around 4.

Veritas&Equitas
Jun 25, 2007, 02:12 PM
Ridgedale around 4.
I'll see you then! I look like my photo in my profile...:)

synth3tik
Jun 25, 2007, 02:50 PM
I too was planning on being at the MOA. There is the Johnny Rockets in the food court above the Apple store. Don't know if there food is still any good, but it used to be really really good. If people wanted to met and got a bite after surveying the chaos I'll be game.

mikekrabb
Jun 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds good guy. I've got the day off... :)

Yeah, I'll be at Ridgedale around 4ish I guess. Live right by there, so it's my neck of the woods...

TeqOne
Jun 25, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'll be at the Rosedale store bright and early on Friday morning.

Adamist
Jun 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
I, too, have the day off and was thinking MOA... around 2:30-3

vanamp
Jun 25, 2007, 08:33 PM
Do you guys just happen to be at the end of your current cellphone contracts?....

I just can't imagine there being a line at all, How many people have $500+ laying around AND are not tied up in a cell phone contract already?

I would love an iphone but I have a year and a half left in my contract.

Looking on the bright side in a year and a half the iphone will probably be cheaper and better.

path2k7
Jun 26, 2007, 12:04 AM
the cingular store at MOA told me to go to the apple store at MOA because they "weren't gonna get as many as apple". Fun stuff.

Briellz
Jun 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
the cingular store at MOA told me to go to the apple store at MOA because they "weren't gonna get as many as apple". Fun stuff.

The Apple store at MOA is going to be crazy! :D

Veritas&Equitas
Jun 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
Do you guys just happen to be at the end of your current cellphone contracts?....

I just can't imagine there being a line at all, How many people have $500+ laying around AND are not tied up in a cell phone contract already?

Honestly, if you can afford a $600 phone and a $70/month plan, a termination fee is nothing. I have almost 2 years left on mine with Verizon; however, I don't care. I guarantee the majority of the people interested ARE tied up in a contract, but are either terminating it or leaving their current company for the phone, just like me.

Briellz
Jun 26, 2007, 02:36 PM
Honestly, if you can afford a $600 phone and a $70/month plan, a termination fee is nothing. I have almost 2 years left on mine with Verizon; however, I don't care. I guarantee the majority of the people interested ARE tied up in a contract, but are either terminating it or leaving their current company for the phone, just like me.

I just renewed my contract with sprint a couple months ago, and I think I have to pay $150 to term. my contract. I don't mind though, If you have the money whats the big deal? ;) :apple:

vanamp
Jun 26, 2007, 04:44 PM
I am with sprint and the Fee is $200....but I have a family plan so it is $200 per phone:mad:

Thats turns the iphone into a $1000 phone for me and If I had the money laying around I would probably buy another mac instead.

mattster16
Jun 26, 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking about going to the Cingular store on Ford Pkwy. Either that or the Apple store at Rosedale mall. Which is the better choice?

I have to work on Friday so I won't get there until 4:30ish and it makes me nervous with so many people saying they are going to line up in the morning.

Realistically what do you think the demand is going to be for a $600 phone?

synth3tik
Jun 27, 2007, 05:07 AM
I, too, have the day off and was thinking MOA... around 2:30-3

I too was thinking that 2:30 - 3 would be good. I have other stuff to do at MOA so I was planning on peaking in every so often.

synth3tik
Jun 27, 2007, 05:09 AM
I am with sprint and the Fee is $200....but I have a family plan so it is $200 per phone:mad:

Thats turns the iphone into a $1000 phone for me and If I had the money laying around I would probably buy another mac instead.

That sounds to me like you would be better off waiting for your current contract to be up, and then you can get the phone without the hassle

paulyras
Jun 27, 2007, 06:30 AM
I'm thinking about going to the Cingular store on Ford Pkwy. Either that or the Apple store at Rosedale mall. Which is the better choice?

I have to work on Friday so I won't get there until 4:30ish and it makes me nervous with so many people saying they are going to line up in the morning.

Realistically what do you think the demand is going to be for a $600 phone?

Right now, that Cingular store (It just got it's AT&T sign last week) is where Briellz and I are planning on going. We're both planning on 3:00 - 3:30, though I'm planning on driving past a couple of times earlier in the day to see if there is a big line. I could send you both a text message (or, perhaps my last mms) if the lines are getting pretty big.

If that's the case, I might just hop in line too.

If you want, send me a PM with your cell phone number.

Paul

barefootpanda
Jun 27, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm going to Rosedale around 12-1pm...anyone know if there is power nearby outside the store?

MGDesigns
Jun 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
Hi guys, i've been trolling a long time, but have never posted.

I'll be going to the Ridgedale Apple store around 4, That better not be too late. I'm done with camping since I waited 15 hours in a hellish wal-mart for an xbox.

M!

bob15487
Jun 27, 2007, 05:18 PM
Anyone planning on going to Ridgedale Sq ATT store? I'm hoping that'll have less of a line and will go w/ a friend of mine... If you are planning that, send me a message and we can trade numbers...

Also... If you want to get the iPhone service plan CHEAPER message me-- I talked to an Auth Dealer who has a special on voice service (1000 min for 49.99). It gets you rollover, nights/weekends, but NO mob to mob minutes. But, w/ 1000, I don't care.

Although they cannot sell the iPhone yet, you can sign a contract w/ them (I've only seen this at once store) for the lower voice plan, then go buy an iPhone and add the data plan from home for $20 bucks. You get more minutes for less money...it's great.

The plan isn't advertised, is NOT offered by ATT corporate stores, but I know the guy who will sell it to you at an authorized dealer... Shoot me a note and I'll give you his name and you can go see him, or have him call you. I'd really appreciate a referral if you do go this route…it took me the last two days, just about all day, to find the cheapest option for the phone and I think this is the best deal for the phone/minutes.

Again, you do not buy an iPhone there... You just buy a voice plan for 49.99 which gets 1000 min, rollover, free nights/weekends, but NO mob. to mob. minutes. It's a better deal and after the 20 bucks a month for the data plan that you can add when you do buy the iPhone, you get more bang for your buck.

cardinal23
Jun 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
I was considering either Ridgedale (by my work) or the AT&T store in Highland Park (by my house). I thought people might not think about those locations until I read this thread, you guys are freaking me out!

Does anyone have any information on the Ridgedale Apple Store procedures? I read some mall Apple Stores were doing outside lines at the entrance nearest the store. I would prefer that to sitting in the mall for hours, the weather is supposed to be quite nice on Friday.

My wife talked to a guy working at the AT&T store today and he said he expects campers Thursday night. I will not be doing that. A few hours in the sun reading a book sounds pleasant. 18 hours, including a night on the sidewalk does not.

swanduck
Jun 27, 2007, 06:39 PM
Has anyone thought about or heard of anyone planning on showing up at either the Burnsville or Apple Valley AT&T stores. Those are the closest to my house and I thought that I would have a better shot than one of the Apple Stores. But with the talk of people showing up at stores on Thursday night I am no longer sure that showing up at 1 is soon enough.

jphaberman
Jun 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
I was going to go to the mall of america as well. I was thinking of getting in line at around 10 or so. are you thinking that is waaaaayyyyy too early?

No, I don't think that's way to early, but that's because I was planning on showing up around 7 a.m. I think I might do that anyway just to check out the situation. If there are a lot of people in line--who really knows--I'll stay. Otherwise, I'll probably go back around 10 a.m.

I just stopped by the Apple and AT&T stores at Southdale. The guy I spoke with at the Apple store said that he found out today that they'll be open 'till midnight. Considering the speed at which the purchases can be made without having to worry about activation in the store, that leads me to believe that they're prepared for (i.e. will have enough phones in stock) to handle six hours of non-stop iPhone sales. I'm not as worried about getting one on Friday, but I still don't want to risk it.

The woman I spoke with at the AT&T store said that Ruby Tuesday will be providing a service that allows those who are standing in line all day to order food. Has anyone heard anything about this at other AT&T stores or Apple stores?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the guy at the Apple store also mentioned that they're opening early on Saturday: another sign that they're planning on having plenty of iPhones in stock, enough to have some left over after Friday. Why else would they open early?

mattster16
Jun 27, 2007, 08:34 PM
No, I don't think that's way to early, but that's because I was planning on showing up around 7 a.m. I think I might do that anyway just to check out the situation. If there are a lot of people in line--who really knows--I'll stay. Otherwise, I'll probably go back around 10 a.m.

I just stopped by the Apple and AT&T stores at Southdale. The guy I spoke with at the Apple store said that he found out today that they'll be open 'till midnight. Considering the speed at which the purchases can be made without having to worry about activation in the store, that leads me to believe that they're prepared for (i.e. will have enough phones in stock) to handle six hours of non-stop iPhone sales. I'm not as worried about getting one on Friday, but I still don't want to risk it.

The woman I spoke with at the AT&T store said that Ruby Tuesday will be providing a service that allows those who are standing in line all day to order food. Has anyone heard anything about this at other AT&T stores or Apple stores?

That is interesting to hear. I'm starting to think I should just go to an Apple store. They will probably have larger inventories. Cell phone carriers, I have noticed, tend to keep their stock of high end phones very low. (Although the iPhone is probably a whole different story). Either way if I'm at Rosedale I have the Apple store and the at&t store right there.

If I don't get one I'll just wait a few days. Apple wants to get these in people's hands as quickly as possible and quickly gain marketshare...it won't be like trying to get a Wii. IMHO

synth3tik
Jun 27, 2007, 08:37 PM

No I haven't, but it sounds like a good idea. I keep going between getting in line early and just a few hours before, but the ability to have food delivered to you sounds great, now all we need is someone to come by with a tinkle booth or something:D

Jsmee200
Jun 27, 2007, 09:13 PM
That is interesting to hear. I'm starting to think I should just go to an Apple store. They will probably have larger inventories. Cell phone carriers, I have noticed, tend to keep their stock of high end phones very low. (Although the iPhone is probably a whole different story). Either way if I'm at Rosedale I have the Apple store and the at&t store right there.

If I don't get one I'll just wait a few days. Apple wants to get these in people's hands as quickly as possible and quickly gain marketshare...it won't be like trying to get a Wii. IMHO

mattster, when were you thinking of showing up? I was originally going to go to the Roseville AT&T store off of snelling, but you've got me thinking it might be better to go to the rosedale apple store. Does anyone have a thought on this?

P.S. I heard the same thing- that they're supposedly shipping 15 million iPhones to 2000-some stores. much more than any console launch this year.

mattster16
Jun 27, 2007, 11:30 PM
mattster, when were you thinking of showing up? I was originally going to go to the Roseville AT&T store off of snelling, but you've got me thinking it might be better to go to the rosedale apple store. Does anyone have a thought on this?

P.S. I heard the same thing- that they're supposedly shipping 15 million iPhones to 2000-some stores. much more than any console launch this year.

I would go to the store around 4ish most likely. I'm not willing to stand in line for several hours, so if that isn't early enough...then I'll just order off apple.com and wait a few days.

Yeah I heard that too about the 15 million phones, but keep in mind Apple said they want to sell 10 million in the first year as their goal. So 15 million for the first shipment wouldn't make sense. I still think there will be a lot though.

Lixivial
Jun 28, 2007, 05:41 AM
I would go to the store around 4ish most likely. I'm not willing to stand in line for several hours, so if that isn't early enough...then I'll just order off apple.com and wait a few days.

That's my plan. I'm heading to the Rosedale Southdale store after work ~4 to 4:30. I might jump in line if it's short, if not I'll just come back at 6:30 and see how supplies are. I won't wait in line for any more than an hour to an hour and a half, though.

I might bring along my MacBook to help me pass the time; I don't know if this is a good idea or not. If not it'll be an iPod + a book I've been meaning to catch up on. :)

EDIT: Uhhhh, whoops. I said Rosedale when I meant to say Southdale. Stupid, silly me. I'd rather go to Southdale because if, for whatever reason, I need to jump to the MoA store, I can do so easily. And, of course, there's an Cingular/AT&T store right there in Southdale, so...

MGDesigns
Jun 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
sounds like Apple isn't too worried that they'll sell out. Woo! Back to the 4:30 plan.

M!

bob15487
Jun 28, 2007, 02:05 PM
So I talked to a guy at Ridgedale Sq and he said that the ATT store there will be packed and said if you want to make sure you get one, he'd rec. that you get there by 1AM. I made sure he didn't mean pm, and he sure didn't...

There is no way I'm doing that... So... I might drive by there on my way to the Apple store in the mall next door and check it out... If it is indeed packed, I'll check out Apple, and then am now thinking about forgetting the whole early thing and just going late... Maybe around 11pm and trying my luck then?

I am NOT camping out for this phone... geez... If it sells out on Friday...it'll be back in stock by Monday... I can deal w/ waiting over the weekend... I've waited since Jan anyway! :-p haha

:apple:

MGDesigns
Jun 28, 2007, 03:42 PM
It's the same stuff that happens at console launches. The employees, like the one you talked to, get a weird god complex and the more grandiose they make their stories the more they think they become an omnipotent being.

With all the news that has come in today, if you stroll in sometime tomorrow night (11 might be cutting it) to an Apple store you should be golden.

If not, this isn't like a concole launch people, these things are going to keep coming. There is so reason to wait in line for hours and hours to pay someone else a ton of money. I'm strolling in around 4:30 and I have no worry that i'll be able to get my mitts on one.

M!

Ridgedale that is.

Lixivial
Jun 28, 2007, 04:09 PM
I am NOT camping out for this phone... geez... If it sells out on Friday...it'll be back in stock by Monday... I can deal w/ waiting over the weekend... I've waited since Jan anyway! :-p haha

It's somewhat non-sensical anyway. The only time lines should be forming -- if they do form -- would be in between 2 PM and 6 PM. Yet, I have no doubt that lines will form before 2 PM. I just don't think it'll be enough to sell out the entire stock. I'm even hesitant to stand in line for an hour, let alone an hour and a half. I honestly wouldn't worry about not getting one.

That's why I'm going to Southdale (despite my disdain for Edina), there's a nice concentration of AT&T/Apple Stores in a 5 mile area. If I walk out empty handed, though, I'll just place my order online and be done with it.

jdsam
Jun 28, 2007, 05:20 PM
Is anyone planning on going to the launch just to get your hands on a demo unit. I know I cant swing the cost of a new iphone right now, but I'm thinking of going to ridgedale around 9pm or something just to play with one of the new ones on the floor:cool:

Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

J

bob15487
Jun 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
Is anyone planning on going to the launch just to get your hands on a demo unit. I know I cant swing the cost of a new iphone right now, but I'm thinking of going to ridgedale around 9pm or something just to play with one of the new ones on the floor:cool:

Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

J

I'm Def going to play w/ it before I buy it... I might not buy one tomorrow... I really want to wait and find someone who has one, then ask them to load something on the EDGE network... I mean, I know it has wifi and all, but I'll be on the net most of the time w/ EDGE... I have wifi at my place, but why would i use my phone to look something up when i have my macbook pro sitting in my lap? aaaaaand, there is no wifi when i'm driving around trying to use google maps (which i would use all the time since i'm moving to la in a month...)

gah...if they would have made it 3g, it would be automatic for me. But now i need to play w/ one... if it's 'cool' enough, i might just have to get one tomorrow... either way, i'll be at an apple store a couple times tomorrow ;) and more likely than not...leave w/ a new toy :cool:

:apple:

synth3tik
Jun 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
I will be bringing my MBP and a extra battery to MOA, I might also bring my camera. I will post updates for people. I plan on getting there around 2 and will check out both the Apple and AT&T stores, even though I will most likely hang out at the Apple store. So, if you are planning on showing up between 4:30-6 I can give you all updates.

DarkRail
Jun 28, 2007, 09:49 PM
gah...if they would have made it 3g, it would be automatic for me.

I understand your thoughts there. That's what I thought at first, too. But looking into it, the closest AT&T 3G coverage to us seems to be.... Rochester! Slow or not, I'd rather have an EDGE iPhone tomorrow than a 3G iPhone in however many years it takes AT&T to rig its towers.

By the way, it's MOA for me. I just figure they'll have a lot because they're a bigger store. The Southdale store is just a tiny one, right?

Schmoe0013
Jun 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
That's why I'm going to Southdale (despite my disdain for Edina),

Edina ain't that bad! :D

Veritas&Equitas
Jun 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
Edina ain't that bad! :D
Eh, the Cake-Eating WASPs will only get to ya if you let them. Here out on the Lake, we have a totally different mentality...not as...presumptuous :D

P.S. But rest assured, we aren't hurtin' for bank either ;)

Schmoe0013
Jun 28, 2007, 11:35 PM
ha, ok, Edina does have the rep, but comeon... west bloomington, and you in lakeville, they could be concidered... "more" rich :)

But hey! I'll probably stop by the nations first indoor mall tomorrow to see what the lines are like at the apple store!

maybe if i look long enough, i'll buy it!

Lixivial
Jun 29, 2007, 12:57 AM
I've been reading this blog (http://yourtech.typepad.com/main/) to get a feel of how the stores are doing. A few AT&T stores have lines forming (due to them being standalone stores, I guess). We'll see how it is in the middle of the day tomorrow... anyone have a better resource?

The Southdale store is just a tiny one, right?

Yes, Southdale Center's store is smaller, but it is a full fledged store and not one of the Apple Store minis (http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/14/ministores/index.php). The mall itself also gets less foot traffic than the MoA, and I want to get in and out with as little hassle as possible. Besides, Southdale has a full fledged Cingular (AT&T) store, and MoA is a few miles away should I need to go there.

I really dislike entering/exiting/utilizing the MoA. As many (or as few) times as I make it there, I always end up getting turned about and lost. If I were going to hang out in a line, I think the MoA would be a great choice as there is a lot more to do there.

So, if you are planning on showing up between 4:30-6 I can give you all updates.

Please do! I assume you'll be posting updates in this thread. Aside from being of practical use to those going to the MoA location, I think it will also give a general benchmark for how the other stores are doing.

Edina ain't that bad!

Well, OK, I suppose there are worse fates. Granted I can't think of them, but I'm sure they exist! ;) :D

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
Please do! I assume you'll be posting updates in this thread. Aside from being of practical use to those going to the MoA location, I think it will also give a general benchmark for how the other stores are doing.

Yes, I was going to post into this thread.

jphaberman
Jun 29, 2007, 07:34 AM
I drove by the AT&T store on Ford Parkway about an hour ago, and there were already a half-dozen people in line. I'd been planning on going to the MOA, and then I got there and realized that the parking lot doesn't open 'till 8 a.m. :(

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 08:10 AM
I drove by the AT&T store on Ford Parkway about an hour ago, and there were already a half-dozen people in line. I'd been planning on going to the MOA, and then I got there and realized that the parking lot doesn't open 'till 8 a.m. :(

Now you've got me worried. Someone should post updates from the Rosedale store. I'm stuck at work...nor do I really want to wait in a line for 10 hours.

paulyras
Jun 29, 2007, 08:15 AM

Awww crap. I was just going to go over there and get a bagel. Now I'm going to have to debate whether to stay and hop in line.

MGDesigns
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
anyone have any word on the Ridgedale Apple store?

M!

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
Now you've got me worried. Someone should post updates from the Rosedale store. I'm stuck at work...nor do I really want to wait in a line for 10 hours.

I'm first in line at the rosedale store. there's 7 people in line and people are coming once an hour. In other words, right now, it's a desert. But, once the mall opens for business at 9am, it's anyone's guess.

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm first in line at the rosedale store. there's 7 people in line and people are coming once an hour. In other words, right now, it's a desert. But, once the mall opens for business at 9am, it's anyone's guess.

Thanks for the update! Keep them coming. I wish I had some kind of idea on how many phones they have..if you can somehow extract that information once the store opens up that would be great.

I'm assuming they have free wireless there, right? I brought my macbook to work with me just in case I need to come there early.

jphaberman
Jun 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
I just got in line at MOA, and I'm about 20th. A couple people have trickled in behind me in the last 15 minutes. Apple has their Wi-Fi available, and I got lucky enough to be by a power outlet for my laptop, so that'll make the wait much more tolerable.

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the update! Keep them coming. I wish I had some kind of idea on how many phones they have..if you can somehow extract that information once the store opens up that would be great.

I'm assuming they have free wireless there, right? I brought my macbook to work with me just in case I need to come there early.

yeah. they have free wifi. I'm on it now. 8 people now. One guy tried to bribe them with 100 dollars cash, but they wouldn't bite, so there is really no way of knowing how much they have. lemme know what you're gonna do.

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
yeah. they have free wifi. I'm on it now. 8 people now. One guy tried to bribe them with 100 dollars cash, but they wouldn't bite, so there is really no way of knowing how much they have. lemme know what you're gonna do.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm prepared to come there as early as noon I think. Depends on how fast the line is growing or if it gets to a certain point and then remains steady. Thanks for keeping me updated, it is very helpful. If you can...let me know when there are 20 people in line.

cardinal23
Jun 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the updates. I will be stuck at work for at least a few more hours, so it's nice to read about the current situation.

Is anybody reading from the Southdale line? That was my planned location.

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
I just got in line at MOA, and I'm about 20th. A couple people have trickled in behind me in the last 15 minutes. Apple has their Wi-Fi available, and I got lucky enough to be by a power outlet for my laptop, so that'll make the wait much more tolerable.

jphaberman: One thing I was concerned about is the MOA security, they are a lot more anal then most. I am curious about how they are hanlding the line forming before the stores even open.

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 09:34 AM
Fresh report from the Rosedale store:

The apple guys are being really nice and giving people in the line free bottles of water to make sure everyone's ok. Line is pretty nice and quiet right now. it's up to ten people, with people showing up at no real set interval. but, it's slowly growing. I'll probably post again when the mall opens, which is when I'm guessing the next "pack" of people is going to be coming through.

P.S.: Should I post pictures?

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 09:36 AM
Fresh report from the Rosedale store:

The apple guys are being really nice and giving people in the line free bottles of water to make sure everyone's ok. Line is pretty nice and quiet right now. it's up to ten people, with people showing up at no real set interval. but, it's slowly growing. I'll probably post again when the mall opens, which is when I'm guessing the next "pack" of people is going to be coming through.

P.S.: Should I post pictures?

If you could. It would be nice to see the amount of people and what the situation looks like at all the stores.

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 09:53 AM
ok, I took pictures of the line, but I think that since I'm new here, I don't have permission to upload pictures. is there someone that can upload the pictures for me?

Oh, and there's 15 people in the line now, they're coming a bit steadier now.

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 09:57 AM
ok, I took pictures of the line, but I think that since I'm new here, I don't have permission to upload pictures. is there someone that can upload the pictures for me?

Oh, and there's 15 people in the line now, they're coming a bit steadier now.

check your private messages jsmee200

jphaberman
Jun 29, 2007, 10:01 AM
jphaberman: One thing I was concerned about is the MOA security, they are a lot more anal then most. I am curious about how they are hanlding the line forming before the stores even open.

I haven't seen any security. They have us lined up in rows in the middle of the aisle.

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
Here are the pictures from the Rosedale Apple store line taken by Jsmee200.

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
So the mall is open for business and there's an interesting trend. people who just decided to get in the line are bailing out, and the people who brought chairs, laptops, etc (prepared for the long haul), are taking their place. so, I guess, if you're going to come and wait, don't do it on a whim. Oh, and if you come to the rosedale store, I'm the first one in line with the baby blue collared shirt.

***EDIT***
my Screename is jaegerbombed, if anyone wants to hit me up to see how the line is at the moment, or just chit-chat about the iPhone, lemme know.

Volareman
Jun 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
Plenty of us not able to be in lines today are watching this thread, so yeah, feel free to post all the thoughts/photos you want to today :)

--- NOT-in-line from Red Wing

jphaberman
Jun 29, 2007, 11:09 AM
MOA update: about 40 people in line

paulyras
Jun 29, 2007, 11:09 AM
There's about a dozen people at the Highland ATT store. I kinda freaked, because it was like this at 8:30AM, but there's essentially noone new since (other than myself and one other guy), and believe it or not, two people already left and went home ?!?!?!

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 11:22 AM
so, the Rosedale line is getting longer it's not fast, but it's one or two people an hour, I'd say. closer to 3 I'm guessing it's going to speed up. it's starting to look like every line is different. the funny thing is that they only roped off enough space for like 15 people and the line is well beyond the roping now.

jcpoling04
Jun 29, 2007, 11:31 AM
I was at the genius bar about 1.25 hours ago and saw 2 Apple store employees taking a cart of boxes (5 stacks of 10) that were big enough to fit 5 iPhone boxes. Thus, if the cart I saw contains the only iPhone for the store, by my calculations the store will only have on hand 250 phones. So, hurry out here the line is already at 45 people

xjp

MGDesigns
Jun 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
the number of phones per apple store will be much more than 250, much more.

M!

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 11:42 AM
the number of phones per apple store will be much more than 250, much more.

M!

Where are you getting this information, what is your source?

Lixivial
Jun 29, 2007, 11:49 AM
Where are you getting this information, what is your source?

MacRumors itself ran some numbers (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321215) using 300,000 to 400,000 as a stock number. MR calculated it to be 1,000 with flagship stores receiving more. While that number isn't based on any concrete fact, it is reasonable to assume Apple would have half a million phones in the pipeline. While the mall-based stores probably won't have as many as the standalone flagship stores, SoHo looks to have more than plenty. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321844)

250 seems like a low estimate. I could see 500, but 250 seems a bit low.

EDIT: A SoCal store has three palettes. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3839809&postcount=203)

thomasfxlt
Jun 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
30-35 at Ridgedale. 11:50am

bravian
Jun 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
Just walked past the line for the downtown minneapolis AT&T store - there are about 6 or 7 people waiting.

MGDesigns
Jun 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
thanks for the Ridgedale update! I get off work at 12:30, then i'm gonna go watch Die Hard and then mosey on over.

M!

Hey Thomas, where's the line at in Ridgedale? In front of the App store or outside?

thomasfxlt
Jun 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
thanks for the Ridgedale update! I get off work at 12:30, then i'm gonna go watch Die Hard and then mosey on over.

M!

Hey Thomas, where's the line at in Ridgedale? In front of the App store or outside?

Main Atrium inside the mall about 15 yards from the store entrance.

12:55 ....about 45 people in line.

MacCoaster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:02 PM
So who's all going to the Mall of America stores? My roommate's getting one so I'll be hanging out. Wont be buying so I'll be arriving at 4ish and going to amusement park and riding some rides and eating some. If anyone can hang out with me, that'll be fine and dandy. Just PM me or AIM me. Info's in the profile.

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 01:03 PM
I just got to MOA, the line is approx 50 people. I forgot my camera at home so sorry, but there will be no pictures from me.

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 01:05 PM
Just walked past the line for the downtown minneapolis AT&T store - there are about 6 or 7 people waiting.

I walked by there as I was running around, when I was there there was no people waiting, I kind of wanted to hang out there but didn't

mattster16
Jun 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
Just drove by the at&t on Ford. Seems to be 15 or less people there, I just glanced though.

tc2thdr
Jun 29, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'm wondering if anyone would want to sell the 2nd phone they are able to buy today? I live near La Crosse Wi and can't make it to mpls tonight.

Contact me if interested.

Thanks,
Terry Cowgill

cardinal23
Jun 29, 2007, 01:57 PM
Probably around 60 people at Southdale right now. Looks like they are getting ready to close the store.

monkeytap
Jun 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
Just drove by the at&t on Ford. Seems to be 15 or less people there, I just glanced though.

any updates on the ford parkway store? I live minutes from there but am undeceided if I want to go wait in line....

if the reason I cant get an iphone today is bc they are sold out in the twin cities, than I say good for apple, and I wont be dissapointed.

I might try to wait until after the lines die down and see if any are still left.

thomasfxlt
Jun 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
2:15 ....Approx. 60 people in line at Ridgedale Apple Store.

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 02:26 PM
2:25. about 40 - 60 people at Rosedale. front is covered up for the floor remodel. exciting.

vikesfan2001
Jun 29, 2007, 02:36 PM
2:35 apple ridgedale theres about 60 -65 people in line the fornt is coverd up and a ren- a -cop is in fornt of the door

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
The store closed about 35 minutes ago. I guess they finally get ha chance got grab lunch. There is 2 Bloomington cops sitting at the door, so no bum rushing. The line is getting longer approx 75 people.

aymr
Jun 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
MOA - perhaps 80-100 people at 2:50. Surprisingly short given what I'd expected. I've been here perhaps 45 minutes and there's only one person behind me.

I'm surprised - it's pretty quiet. The mall is a zoo, but most people are just passing by and gawking at the line or asking why we're here. They don't seem to be here for the iPhone. You mean there are people out there who aren't waiting in line today? :)

I'm happy. I'm not worried about getting one. Yay!

Aym

dawho9
Jun 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
The line is getting a little longer now at Ridgedale. I'm sitting at about 27ish right now so I'm really hoping that rumor of "special gift" for the first 50 people is correct. I would love a special gift.

The rent a cop is gone now. Not much action here other than the occasional clapping. :-)

Back to watching movies and having people look at you funny in line for a phone.

dw9

Lixivial
Jun 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
Pulled into Southdale 15 minutes ago. Had a poll taken of us about 8 vs 4 gigs -- 99% to 1 taking 8 vs 4. Guy said that there should be QUITE a few by Sunday. The poller was quite confident that eBay sellers wouldn't achieve the returns of PS3/Wii hysteria.

100 or so people in line, I'd say.

EDIT: Haha, some people handing out pamplets advertising T-Mobile and an AT&T rep advertising other phones.

MacCoaster
Jun 29, 2007, 03:21 PM
Alright well I guess I'm on my way to Mall of America.

I'll be the guy with a white MacBook and an Apple t-shirt from the Syracuse NY Carousel mall. :)

monkeytap
Jun 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
any updates on the ford parkway store? I live minutes from there but am undeceided if I want to go wait in line....

if the reason I cant get an iphone today is bc they are sold out in the twin cities, than I say good for apple, and I wont be dissapointed.

I might try to wait until after the lines die down and see if any are still left.

im gonna answer my own question, as I stopped by the ford parkway att store after work. as of 5 mins ago, there are only about 20 ppl in line, and I stood there for 10-15 minutes with noone else joining after me. coming home to get the muchines and hit up SA on the way back :-) hopefully its still a low line!

paulyras
Jun 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
there's about 25 at the highland att store right now.

SirHaakon
Jun 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
The Mall of America line just reached 100. The Apple store is completely blacked out and two security agents are "guarding" the store outside. Tons of people here with laptops thanks to the kiosk power outlets running down the middle of the walkway and free Wi-Fi thanks to the Apple store itself. Only about 2 1/2 hours left to go!

dawho9
Jun 29, 2007, 03:44 PM
Ridgedale is near-ish 100 people right now. We are getting bored with the line so we started a poll of what provider everyone is ditching and switching to AT&T. Right now about half-way through our line. About 50% already have AT&T but a lot of T-Mobile converts...

dw9

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
Apple has a great wi-fi. I am a half store away and am getting as good as home, and there are at least 40 people on the network

dawho9
Jun 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
I would also like to thank Apple for some great wireless today. Also, thanks to Ridgedale for putting power plugs in the floor in completely random locations - like where we are sitting right now - perfect place to plug the old laptop in.

dw9

MGDesigns
Jun 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
Just got in line at Ridgedale, i'd say probably around 70-75? This wireless is amazing.

M!

jphaberman
Jun 29, 2007, 04:09 PM
I would also like to thank Apple for some great wireless today. Also, thanks to Ridgedale for putting power plugs in the floor in completely random locations - like where we are sitting right now - perfect place to plug the old laptop in.

dw9

Same goes for MOA. I don't know if I would've been able to sit here for 10 hours without my laptop, power and a connection to the Internet.

These last two hours cannot go fast enough.

Jsmee200
Jun 29, 2007, 04:23 PM
Rosedale just picked up the pace in terms of people getting in the line. every time I turn around, it adds another 12 or so people. Also, I'm kind of regretting being first in line. EVERY SINGLE PERSON who walks by is asking me why I'm waiting in line, if when the store opens they'll be able to get non-iPhone help, if I know that I'm spending 600 dollars on a phone, etc.. It's maddening, but a lot of fun.

dawho9
Jun 29, 2007, 04:31 PM
Rosedale just picked up the pace in terms of people getting in the line. every time I turn around, it adds another 12 or so people. Also, I'm kind of regretting being first in line. EVERY SINGLE PERSON who walks by is asking me why I'm waiting in line, if when the store opens they'll be able to get non-iPhone help, if I know that I'm spending 600 dollars on a phone, etc.. It's maddening, but a lot of fun.

It would be fun to be first. The first person over here at Ridgedale just got interviewed by the local TV station. I think it was Channel 9.

dw9

vikesfan2001
Jun 29, 2007, 04:48 PM
so the nice lady at ridgedale mall came out and told us all to get up and compress ourselfs what a loser unless you have a small chair youre on the floor or standing 1 1/2 hours to go

vikesfan2001
Jun 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/vikesfan2001/DSC_0004.jpg

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 04:58 PM
After all day of us using the outlets mall security told us not to use the outlets. Their nazis. But caribou is now giving out free coffee.

Lixivial
Jun 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
Just thought I'd say kudos and congratulations to all those who waited in line and received their iPhone! I finally got back home after going to eat and driving an hour or so. Southdale was a lot busier than I expected, but I managed to snag myself a 8GB one.

I hope everyone else's experience was enjoyable/fruitful. The highlight for me was when AT&T and T-Mobile were advertising other phones to people in line. Found it kind of amusing. :D

synth3tik
Jun 29, 2007, 09:11 PM
I wanted to say thank you for everybody that stood in line with me. It was rather fun. I usually make fun of people who do this sort of a thing, but then again those were not Apple products. Anyway I hope you all got one as I guess reports of stores selling out are coming in.

bob15487
Jun 30, 2007, 02:13 AM
SO,

I was in the mall today and an Auth Dealer for ATT (NOTE: not a store that sells the iPhone yet) was offering insurance for iPhones.

This is a promotion that is run by the owner of this store (branded as an ATT store and only sells ATT...AND is bigger than the Corp. ATT stores in the area, but just some random guy who bought the space and the auth. to sell ATT service). The store will insure your iPhone for 100 bucks for 2 years...it covers EVERYTHING. Loss, Stolen, Dropped, Thrown into the pool, etc. It's a great deal and I think I'll invest in that instead of AppleCare in July...

PS-
I'm in MN and it was at the Ridgedale ATT store on the 2nd floor if you are in the area.

synth3tik
Jun 30, 2007, 03:28 AM
SO,

I was in the mall today and an Auth Dealer for ATT (NOTE: not a store that sells the iPhone yet) was offering insurance for iPhones.

This is a promotion that is run by the owner of this store (branded as an ATT store and only sells ATT...AND is bigger than the Corp. ATT stores in the area, but just some random guy who bought the space and the auth. to sell ATT service). The store will insure your iPhone for 100 bucks for 2 years...it covers EVERYTHING. Loss, Stolen, Dropped, Thrown into the pool, etc. It's a great deal and I think I'll invest in that instead of AppleCare in July...

PS-
I'm in MN and it was at the Ridgedale ATT store on the 2nd floor if you are in the area.

Hey, thanks for the info. Do we know how credible this insurance is?
I def. want to get my iPhone insured.

dawho9
Jun 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hey, thanks for the info. Do we know how credible this insurance is?
I def. want to get my iPhone insured.

I also talked to the store before I purchased. It was $100 dollars. They didn't give me a length of the contract and the insurance is only good at the store (i.e if that stores goes away - your insurance might also).

I did ask about Apple Care and was told that it would be available in July for $69. So I might just go that route instead???

dw9

Frisco
Jun 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
I also talked to the store before I purchased. It was $100 dollars. They didn't give me a length of the contract and the insurance is only good at the store (i.e if that stores goes away - your insurance might also).

I did ask about Apple Care and was told that it would be available in July for $69. So I might just go that route instead???

dw9

Definitely stick with Apple Care.

Brian G.
Jun 30, 2007, 07:46 PM
Has anyone been adventurous enough to use the phone outside of the AT&T direct service area, like northern Minnesota or the west?

I'm in Fargo, ND and would like to get an iPhone, but AT&T doesn't list Fargo as having direct service, only "service through a partner".

Brian G.

MNTwinsFan
Jul 1, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hello.

Just got 2 iPhones today at ridgedale mall.

It's amazing! :)

MGDesigns
Jul 2, 2007, 08:37 AM
I went up North right after getting my iphone to Grand Rapids, MN and it worked like a dream. Even the EDGE network was good.

M!