Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple's .Mac service has introduced ".Mac Bookmarks":

Take your bookmarks with you wherever you go. With new .Mac Bookmarks, a handy surfer window with your favorite bookmarks opens on any Internet-connected computer, providing instant access to your favorite places on the web. Use it on your home or work computer, even at an Internet cafe.

Safari 1.0 and iSync 1.1 are required to sync your bookmarks.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Oooh .. I have yet to try this out .. but does this mean I can have my safari bookmarks from my mac on my windows PC at work? Sounds like it! How terribly exciting! :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by MacManDan
Oooh .. I have yet to try this out .. but does this mean I can have my safari bookmarks from my mac on my windows PC at work? Sounds like it! How terribly exciting! :D

yeah - the links aren't working so it's hard to tell.

The bookmark syncing's been around. But I believe this window thing is new... I guess we wait until the links start working.

arn

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
I find this relativey disappointing, if this is ALL. I really have no use for bookmarks "on the road" cause I really use a computer when I am on vacation. I would much rather have gained php support and mysql cause I really need that a lot. In fact I might have to not renew my .mac subscription this next year if they don't add it. I was kinda upset when I realized that apple had automatically checked the "renew automatically" box in my account preferences. I thought it was very un-apple and if I didn't realize it I would be paying for another year even if I didn't want to :(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, if you have to have a .mac account its crap as far as I'm concerned. If there was some way to put it on *any* site so that you could use it, that would be better......oh, well....

D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: screen caps

Originally posted by ennerseed
anyone got/can get screen caps of it?

screen_bookmarks.gif

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
I'm very excited about this! No more MANUALLY updating the bookmarks on my ...PC... at work. Just long onto .Mac and all my home bookmarks will be there!

nichrome

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2003
Finland
Interestingly, a screenshot of this was up on Apple's web site, on the iSync page, around the time Safari 1.0 was released. It was quickly replaced with this partial, generic Safari shot.

I'm surprised it took Apple so long to actually introduce this service, since they already had it up and running well enough to grab screenshots back when Safari 1.0 was released.

Oh well.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
That screenshot caused a bit of commotion in the thread about Pal. I guess this explanation for the screenshot is a further nail in Pal's coffin.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by clonenode
I'm very excited about this! No more MANUALLY updating the bookmarks on my ...PC... at work. Just long onto .Mac and all my home bookmarks will be there!

it doesn't seem clear if this works on a PC.

[Edit: Apparently it does work from PC's. Cool]

arn

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by altivec 2003
I find this relativey disappointing, if this is ALL. I really have no use for bookmarks "on the road" cause I really use a computer when I am on vacation. I would much rather have gained php support and mysql cause I really need that a lot. In fact I might have to not renew my .mac subscription this next year if they don't add it. I was kinda upset when I realized that apple had automatically checked the "renew automatically" box in my account preferences. I thought it was very un-apple and if I didn't realize it I would be paying for another year even if I didn't want to :(

:rolleyes: Uh huh, you're thinking like a Windows user. Go get a regular hosting account then. Why does everyone expect Apple to just turn .mac into another Cheap Pete's $5 Web Hosting Zoo? If you haven't noticed, .mac is and was never designed to compete with traditional hosting. It's a collection of things that Web hosting companies will never be able to do. 95% of mac users will never need php or mysql much less know what it is. .mac is a service "for the rest of us"

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by arn

arn

Somehow I'm assuming it won't, at least until a safari for PC browser is introduced.

So, now I need to convince my work to move to Mac. Like that'll happen.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
I think it's a huge mistake to compare .Mac with standard web hosts. It's a completely different animal. Very basic web hosting (at a light consumer level) with ease of use is one portion of .Mac. Pro web hosting is just something different. Would you complain if your web host didn't offer you address, calendar, and bookmark synchronization? Or didn't integrate directly with your photo management program? Of course not - because a pro web hosting company just doesn't do those things.

I have a great web host (pair.com). I have a few personal photo albums on .Mac, but that's not its value to me. I use it to sync stuff (addresses and bookmarks for now) between my various Macs. To me, that's worth the money. If it isn't to you, then just don't buy it.

I can think of 100 things I'd like .Mac to have, but I don't expect it to ever compete with a great web host.

nichrome

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2003
Finland
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Somehow I'm assuming it won't, at least until a safari for PC browser is introduced.
From Apple's description:

...a handy surfer window with your favorite bookmarks opens on any Internet-connected computer

What this thingy does is read the Safari bookmarks property list, run it through a WebObjects-based property list parser and then output in a format that any browser can display.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Originally posted by Le Big Mac

So, now I need to convince my work to move to Mac. Like that'll happen.

I'm pretty sure it does. Read the following description from Apple's .mac homepage:

With new .Mac Bookmarks, a handy surfer window with your favorite bookmarks opens on any Internet-connected computer, providing instant access to your favorite places on the web.

Notice especially the part where it says "ANY internet-connected computer" I assume you need a browser too though ;)

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Not a .Mac person

Do people generally believe that because they're a MacUser that every "Mac" product should be a perfect fit for them or do they realize that even in such a small overall market, some things simply aren't targeted to them an Apple doesn't really care what they think about it if they're not in the target market?

I always thought .Mac was a very (large) niche-y product. I mean, sure everyone needs an email address but not everyone needs WebDav storage, simple web hosting, etc. Then of those people who do, some people need professional level services. Yet they're trying to shoehorn themselves into Apple's generic web services market and still force Apple to meet the higher-level needs and complain when they don't.

I'm not one of those people who thinks people who aren't happy with Apple shouldn't breathe, much less voice their complaints. (A lot of times it helps me appreciate something more for how well it meets my needs.) I just think that a lot of people refuse to believe that in certain instances, for certain products, Apple's not doing it for them.

BTW, .Mac is getting incredibly cool over time.

-Hertz

Thresher

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2002
They must have read my mind.

I was just talking about this sort of thing the other day with some friends. I have Macs and PCs and getting them all to have the same bookmarks (let alone the same folder structure) is a major pain in the rear. I was wondering if there was some way to do this with iSync. Problem solved!

As for .Mac versus real web hosting, I agree, you can't think of .Mac as a webhosting service. It's more of a way to store and share things easily. Rather than set up an FTP, I can just have people go to my iDisk or better yet, I can just drag it into a download folder and let them download from the web page. All of this can be done with regular webhosting, but no as simply.

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
I would much rather have gained php support and mysql cause I really need that a lot. In fact I might have to not renew my .mac subscription this next year if they don't add it.
THAT is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. Sorry. Now why in the world would Apple add PHP/MySQL to .Mac?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by arn

arn

Using it from a PC now. Works quite well.

Can't synch from the PC, but CAN add bookmarks.

Sweet.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
I just got the Bookmarks to open on my Windows 2000 PC at work. These are all the bookmarks from my Mac when I syncronized them lsat week with iSync! Ooh.. very .. very cool. It's fortunate this holds on to my bookmarks, especially since my PowerBook is halfway across the state on its way to Houston to get its hard drive replaced ...

Yay! You can even add bookmarks in windows!

[Edit: oops, I was a second too late after jettredmont. Sorry about that]

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by jettredmont
Using it from a PC now. Works quite well.

Can't synch from the PC, but CAN add bookmarks.

Sweet.

One annoying feature is that every bookmark click results in a new window ... Workaround: in IE, at least (I think it works in Firebird/Phoenix too), you can drag the link in the bookmarks window to the window where you want to open the link ...

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Originally posted by jettredmont
One annoying feature is that every bookmark click results in a new window ... Workaround: in IE, at least (I think it works in Firebird/Phoenix too), you can drag the link in the bookmarks window to the window where you want to open the link ...

You can change that if you click on the Preferences icon at the top of the Bookmark window.

nichrome

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2003
Finland
Pretty cool, all in all. The bookmarks window does browser sniffing and if the request is coming from Safari, the window uses brushed metal, and if not, it uses Aqua.

Here's a screenshot of the Bookmarks thingy in Safari, Camino and IE6/WinXP. A bigger shot here.

Attachments

• dotmacbmsmall.jpg
    dotmacbmsmall.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,723
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.