PDA

View Full Version : viewing .avi files on OSX...

alice
Mar 21, 2002, 07:02 PM
I've been trying for weeks to get my iBook to play .avi files. Does anyone know if this is possible? I downloaded windows media player 6.3, and a divX player, but I can't get it to work. It keeps saying "connection failed". I think I probably installed something badly, but I have no idea what. Can anyone help?

any help would be appreciated.

arn
Mar 21, 2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by alice
I've been trying for weeks to get my iBook to play .avi files. Does anyone know if this is possible? I downloaded windows media player 6.3, and a divX player, but I can't get it to work. It keeps saying "connection failed". I think I probably installed something badly, but I have no idea what. Can anyone help?

any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure the files are DIVX?

AVI is just a wrapper... it can hold many many different types of media (codecs) - so... depending on which codec, you may not be able to play it under Mac OS.

arn

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 21, 2002, 11:23 PM
i havent found a single osx divx player that works 100% of the time.

most divx files simply dont work in osx.

if been hoping taht with the release of quicktime6 better codecs will be available. until then whenever i get a divx file that osx cant handle i just restart and boot up in os9. the old skewl os9 wmp6.3 divx doctor fix seems to work on all my divx files.

http://mpeg4.jamby.net/
this is the osx divx fix that seems to work the best for me. i tried the alpha version from the divx folks but that seems to need some work.

i know saying that you will have to boot into os9 is kinda a crumby answer but unfortunately its the only thing that works right now.

arn
Mar 21, 2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
i havent found a single osx divx player that works 100% of the time.

most divx files simply dont work in osx.

if been hoping taht with the release of quicktime6 better codecs will be available. until then whenever i get a divx file that osx cant handle i just restart and boot up in os9. the old skewl os9 wmp6.3 divx doctor fix seems to work on all my divx files.

http://mpeg4.jamby.net/
this is the osx divx fix that seems to work the best for me. i tried the alpha version from the divx folks but that seems to need some work.

i know saying that you will have to boot into os9 is kinda a crumby answer but unfortunately its the only thing that works right now.

Really? I've had very good luck with avi2mov from jamby...

The majority of Divx files I run across I can use avi2mov convert to a .mov file and load into quicktime

arn

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 21, 2002, 11:40 PM
actually out of all of my divx files only one seems to work in osx (i have about 400cds of divx). i have to boot into os9 everyday to get my fraggle rock fix :)

not sure why none of these work with the osx fixes. all of the files came from various sources and have been created by various means.

alice
Mar 21, 2002, 11:47 PM
Yes, it is a divx file, and i got it to convert to a .mov file, but it only gives me the audio, there's no picture. any suggestions?

arn
Mar 22, 2002, 12:02 AM
Yes, it is a divx file, and i got it to convert to a .mov file, but it only gives me the audio, there's no picture. any suggestions?

Are you in osx?

regardless... did you download/install the codec from http://www.divx.com?

if it still doesn't work... there's a tool that might help... I'll have to find it...

let me know
arn

alice
Mar 22, 2002, 12:23 AM
yes, i am in osx. to download the divx player, i just went to www.go4host.com/divx/macdivx1b10.sit.bin . i'm not sure if that's the same thing (or the right thing), but, for some reason when i tried to go to divx.com it said that the 'specified server was not found,' whatever that means.

MacAztec
Mar 22, 2002, 12:28 AM
Where do I get a DivX player? And, I dont think .avi will work in X, well, it wont for me!

arn
Mar 22, 2002, 02:37 AM
yes, i am in osx. to download the divx player, i just went to www.go4host.com/divx/macdivx1b10.sit.bin . i'm not sure if that's the same thing (or the right thing), but, for some reason when i tried to go to divx.com it said that the 'specified server was not found,' whatever that means.

sorry... the link is messed up...

it's http://www.divx.com

arn

alice
Mar 22, 2002, 05:53 PM
:D Got it!

I got it to play in osx, which is great. the sound is really funny though. it's jumpy, and a little out of sync with the visual... is this the best i can hope for?

arn
Mar 22, 2002, 07:02 PM
:D Got it!

I got it to play in osx, which is great. the sound is really funny though. it's jumpy, and a little out of sync with the visual... is this the best i can hope for?

nope... you can fix that...

download http://mpeg4.jamby.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=3

and use that to convert to a .mov - and it will work just fine (usually)

they are working on a fix so you don't have to convert all your avi's to mov's with that tool... note you still need the divx codec to play them... the avi2mov tool just wraps it so it is read in correctly

arn

alice
Mar 23, 2002, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your help arn, so far it's working great!