Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digiegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2007
irql_not_less_or_equal
is the error I get when I try to install windows.

I've installed windows xp on this machine before but it had some corrupt stuff so I had to reinstall again. Now I'm getting this "irql_not_less_or_equal" error.
I tried taking out my new RAMs and installing it again but same thing...
Someone help?

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Double-check your RAM (it is well seated, you are using the original Apple RAM).

Disconnect any peripherals -- if you are installing on a MB or MBP, you may want to try not connecting a keyboard and mouse and just use the laptop's keyboard and trackpad for the install.

Typically these stop errors are hardware related.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
If the STOP error occurred during installation, then you are trying to use a Windows install disc earlier than Service Pack 2 (SP2). Boot Camp installs require a valid SP2 install disc for XP.

In short, you would need to use something like nLite to slipstream Service Pack 2 onto your current install disc before you could proceed. I'm guessing that sentence went over your head though.

There are many other threads on this topic if you use forum search that should be able to give you some more help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.