Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I recently got a good deal on a used Xserve, and I'm using it at home. Yes- I know it's a rack-mount machine and I know it makes a lot of noise, but 86Db is too much for the wife ( I don't mind at all. I could sleep next to it.)

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on a case or enclosure or something that I can use to muffle/styfle/reduce the noise.

Putting it in another room is not an option; I live in Japan and the place is small enough as it is. I wanted an Xserve when they first came out, but because of the price I stayed away. This time the price was just too good for me to pass up.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Yeah, I saw that with a little Googling. Unforunately it's almost twice the price of what I paid for my Xserve in the first place.

I wonder if anyone's got anything home made?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Servers are meant to be loud...that's how they stay cool by using fans. I suppose you could try to cool it with liquid nitrogen and take out the fans. Seriously, get a G5, it is only 35 dB, plus it is faster than any of the Xserves presently.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by 5300cs
I wonder if anyone's got anything home made?

Remove the cover, unplug the squirrel fans, and mount it directly under a large fan or air conditioning vent. :D

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Yeah, I saw that with a little Googling. Unforunately it's almost twice the price of what I paid for my Xserve in the first place.

How the heck did you get an Xserve for $900?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Well, it was about $1000. It's the original 1Ghz single processor model.

I was in Tokyo over the weekend and hit the electronics district, and at this huge Mac-only place up on the 5th floor they were sellling a few used (5 or 6 I think.) The dual G4 1Ghz was like $2,000.

Wrapping the top and bottom with foam wouldn't muffle the sound at all?

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
I was in Tokyo over the weekend and hit the electronics district, and at this huge Mac-only place up on the 5th floor

I've been to that place! Did you lug it on the plane with you? "Checked Baggage"? I'm sure that the TSA had a field day with that.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
A great deal.
I have several rack mounted servers (non Apple) and they are just noisy. Any rack with a door will at least reflect some of the noise. You could build your own mini rack with 2*4s. It won't look great, but it will be breeze to add a door, some sides and a little soundproofing. If you make the sides out of Lexan, you can easily drill into it and make holes for heat dissipation, with out allowing a log of noise out. It would also look pretty cool. Lexan is a little expensive. If you go with something like this, ask the people that sell you the sheet (the thicker the better) to get you the proper kind of saw blade.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It's really the fans moving air through the case that make all the noise. Unless you can get some quiet, high volume fans in there it's tough to do anything about that sound directly.

All I can suggest is finding a closet somewhere or somehow sound proofing its immediate area.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by Eniregnat
A great deal.
I have several rack mounted servers (non Apple) and they are just noisy. Any rack with a door will at least reflect some of the noise. You could build your own mini rack with 2*4s. It won't look great, but it will be breeze to add a door, some sides and a little soundproofing. If you make the sides out of Lexan, you can easily drill into it and make holes for heat dissipation, with out allowing a log of noise out. It would also look pretty cool. Lexan is a little expensive. If you go with something like this, ask the people that sell you the sheet (the thicker the better) to get you the proper kind of saw blade.

I don't suppose you have a FAQ with pictures on how to do that, do you? :D

Thanks for the idea though, I was thinking along those lines, but I'm clueless when it comes to materials and such. At first I went to AppleFritter to see if anyone had done anything, but I came up empty-handed. I wonder if wrapping it foam would do anything? Time to dust off the old science books and brush up on sound & its properties.

I wish I could just toss it in a closet somewhere, but the walls in this place are too thin, the old people in the house would go nuts with it whirring away all night.

mstecker > I bought it at a place called SoftMap in Akihabara. Is this where you went? You might be thinking of LAOX, which is closer to Akihabara station and doesn't carry anything used. And no, I didn't take it on the plane; I live in another city in Japan so I just mailed to myself. If it were a few years ago, I would've thought about checking it in as a carry on just for fun, but now a days they probably wouldn't find it very funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.