Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy Gray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Maine
I didn't get the 7200 rpm hard drive, which I feel stupid for...but I did get high-res. So I'm still happy :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
OP, you can install a 7200 drive yourself I think (someone verify this 4 me)

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
OP, you can install a 7200 drive yourself I think (someone verify this 4 me)

Nope, you can't. The MBP doesn't have a user replaceable HD, but an Apple certified repair technician could do it for a fee, but I don't know if Apple will do it though. You COULD do it yourself, but you would see that warrantee go away as soon as you popped that baby open.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
4gb, but Apple is robbery on RAM. So I bought 2 2gb sticks myself for $200. I am willing to pay someone to put them in, I just want it done well, and I might not be the best bet for that.

it's super easy. just take out the battery, use a screwdriver to remove the casing directly underneath the battery, and you'll see 2 slots. push the ram up to about a 15 degree angle to remove the ram, and place the new one at the 15 degree angle and then click down.

Jeremy Gray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Maine
it's super easy. just take out the battery, use a screwdriver to remove the casing directly underneath the battery, and you'll see 2 slots. push the ram up to about a 15 degree angle to remove the ram, and place the new one at the 15 degree angle and then click down.

When I need a protractor to do something, it's not easy ;)

I'll think about doing it myself, but it'd be easy to take it fifteen minutes away and have them do it too. I'll have to find a screwdriver that'll fit first if I wanna try it myself. Ergh.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
Memory really is a sinch to install... but if you don't have a screwdriver, that is a problem lol.:eek: May as well have someone do it if you really are worried and are THAT close to an apple store.

Btw... I hate you...:mad:

lol. ;) OK, so no, not really, but your picture and your macpro AND your 17 inch macbook pro sitting there all pretty like, makes me really really really envious!

ENJOY!:D

Jeremy Gray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Maine
Memory really is a sinch to install... but if you don't have a screwdriver, that is a problem lol.:eek: May as well have someone do it if you really are worried and are THAT close to an apple store.

Btw... I hate you...:mad:

lol. ;) OK, so no, not really, but your picture and your macpro AND your 17 inch macbook pro sitting there all pretty like, makes me really really really envious!

ENJOY!:D

Thanks. :)
I really wish I'd gotten that 7200 rpm hard drive, but I just tell myself it would have been more taxing on the battery. That makes me feel a little better. I'd rather have 4gb than a 7200 rpm drive when the firewire external I use is 7200. Ergh at rushing through ordering.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
You COULD do it yourself, but you would see that warrantee go away as soon as you popped that baby open.
Orly? Says who? I've removed my logic board. Twice LOL to replace apple's shoddy thermal paste application https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/316736/ If you are a bit handy getting to the HD is pretty easy in these machines. If like the OP won't even install ram, well then don't even think about it. FYI there are no seals or warnings saying that if opened your warranty is void.

Jeremy Gray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Maine
Orly? Says who? I've removed my logic board. Twice LOL to replace apple's shoddy thermal paste application https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/316736/ If you are a bit handy getting to the HD is pretty easy in these machines. If like the OP won't even install ram, well then don't even think about it. FYI there are no seals or warnings saying that if opened your warranty is void.

Search it on apple.com. You'll find that you've voided your warranty I'm afraid.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
When I need a protractor to do something, it's not easy ;)

I'll think about doing it myself, but it'd be easy to take it fifteen minutes away and have them do it too. I'll have to find a screwdriver that'll fit first if I wanna try it myself. Ergh.

haha, you don't really need a protractor, my point was that it needs to be inserted in at an angle. you're better than me, i couldn't wait to add the memory when i first got my 2gb stick, and it was done in less than 5 minutes.

mkgm1

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Just be careful not to lose the screws - apparently some people get screwed over (XD) by Apple when taking their machines for repair at some later date, and they're missing a screw or two.

Not sure if this is some company policy, I only remember reading about it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.