PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft has hired top scientists in its quest for search a...

MacBytes
Jul 10, 2003, 08:21 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft has hired top scientists in its quest for search algorithms that will allow it to compete directly with Google. (http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1024038.html)

Mudbug
Jul 10, 2003, 09:04 AM
first of all, I'm not sure I want to use anything with "bot" in the name after being in the #macrumors IRC channel for a while.

second of all - if they want to have a search engine as powerful as google, why not just buy google? seems to me that M$ has enough money to buy them, and it would take less time and effort than developing their own.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 10, 2003, 09:30 AM
There is actually a huge interest in this, data mining and other assorted search algorithms.

If MS is looking to make their own they probably think that google is not as good as what they can come up with and that starting from scratch instead in updating or modifying the existing stuff is the way to go.

D

nuckinfutz
Jul 10, 2003, 10:18 AM
Google is what is right about computers. Non Bloat..works most of the time and simple. Microshaft will just screw up somehow. They're getting good at it

Watching Microsoft lose is fun.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 10, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
Google is what is right about computers.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not disagreeing here - I was just speculating on their motives. Google is great and I use it everyday.

That doesn't mean MS can't try to make it better. Its just keeping some people employed :D And being on a mac, I don't think I'd be using it anyway.

D

MacManDan
Jul 10, 2003, 11:03 AM
Google is a great service. Fast and efficient and everything. Maybe if MS doesn't screw this up and actually produces a product that competes with Google, they will somehow offer something better or try to improve their own service even more (if its possible).

Sometimes competition can be a good thing for us consumers :)

MacFan25
Jul 10, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by MacManDan

Sometimes competition can be a good thing for us consumers :)
That's true, but I am perfectly happy with how Google works now. :)

jbomber
Jul 10, 2003, 02:48 PM
ugh. i hate how M$ just throws money at problems and ends up with these disgusting bloated 'solutions'.