PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Maryland

iMichael72
Jun 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
OK, I'll start a thread like this too.

Just curious. I'll probably go to the Apple store in Annapolis Mall.

Thought about going to AT&T store, but changed my mind.

I want that Apple experience!!

constant L
Jun 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
i was thinking about the apple store in towson....then i thought maybe the att store by my house.....but after talking to people i think i might just order online...avoid the madness...im still sorta on the fence i guess....id rather not order online if its gonna be like three weeks or more....

malls might be the best place...you have an apple store and at least one att store carrying the iphone....

davechen
Jun 23, 2007, 07:45 PM
I've got two Apple stores within a couple miles of me, Montgomery Mall and Bethesda Row. I'm not sure which one I'll drop by. The Bethesda Row one is smaller, so maybe there'll be less traffic. But it's easier to park at the mall.

MikeLee
Jun 24, 2007, 04:32 PM
I scouted out the Apple Store Montgomery Mall today and decided I would get in line there as soon as the mall opens on Friday at 10am.

taberrr
Jun 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
I scouted out the Apple Store Montgomery Mall today and decided I would get in line there as soon as the mall opens on Friday at 10am.

Cool, what made you decide to choose that one?

RnSK
Jun 25, 2007, 11:44 AM
As there is an Apple store there and I happen to know they perform *very well* so Apple will make sure they have the goods, as well as a corp Cingulatt store about 150 feet away from it. Its going to be a CF of epic proportions...wouldn't miss it :)

talk2dug
Jun 25, 2007, 01:06 PM
thinking about the cingular store,

I just dont want to have to wait in linv for hours...

killthefifi
Jun 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
i'll be waiting at the cingular store in dunkirk, northern calvert county
not accutally buying tho, just going to play around.

i'll be getting there at noon
and i'll be suprised if theres ONE other person there.

sometimes living in a redneck area can be a good thing. :D

azhagan
Jun 25, 2007, 02:08 PM

Looks like I will be meeting you there then...

bondjw07
Jun 25, 2007, 02:41 PM
I work right next to the Columbia Mall, so it looks like i might try to get our early and walk over to the mall and stand in line. Not sure if i'm going to go to the AT&T store or the Apple Store, any suggestions?

digitalboi@mac.
Jun 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
I am coming in to town for the weekend and will be staying in the city. I was thinking of going to Towson and camping there...anyone have an idea of how busy they will be? I've heard Apple wont be letting people camp infront of the store all day, if thats true when do you think they will let the line form?

nbs2
Jun 25, 2007, 02:59 PM
I work right next to the Columbia Mall, so it looks like i might try to get our early and walk over to the mall and stand in line. Not sure if i'm going to go to the AT&T store or the Apple Store, any suggestions?

If I end up deciding to get one, and I'm in the mood to deal with a bunch of HS kids, I might head to Columbia as well. Otherwise I'll head to another ATT - I've been building a relationship of trust with a rep. If needs be, I may be able to swing a "oh look! I thought we were sold out of the 8GB, but there was one that I hadn't seen" - maybe.

MikeLee
Jun 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
Cool, what made you decide to choose that one?

It's the closest Apple Store to my house and I decided against the AT&T Stores along the way for various reasons like: clueless staff, outdoor store location or tucked too far into the corner of a mall. The Apple Store at Montgomery Mall has plenty of room around it for lines to form and a staffer at the store told me the mall has accomodated campouts before for things like the PS3. If I decide to bring a laptop, I should be able to pick up wifi from the store. Just to be sure, I'm still going to visit the night before to confirm there's nothing crazy going on like mall security placing a ban on camping out.

taberrr
Jun 25, 2007, 08:27 PM
It's the closest Apple Store to my house and I decided against the AT&T Stores along the way for various reasons like: clueless staff, outdoor store location or tucked too far into the corner of a mall. The Apple Store at Montgomery Mall has plenty of room around it for lines to form and a staffer at the store told me the mall has accomodated campouts before for things like the PS3. If I decide to bring a laptop, I should be able to pick up wifi from the store. Just to be sure, I'm still going to visit the night before to confirm there's nothing crazy going on like mall security placing a ban on camping out.

Awesome, good points, thanks!

Baltimore Sun
Jun 26, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hi to all in Maryland hoping to buy an iPhone this week. I am a reporter with The Baltimore Sun, and I'm working on a story this week about those among you who have crafted a game plan for snagging an iPhone on Friday. If you plan on camping out or have devised some type of strategy for your purchase, I want to hear about it!

Please give me a call today at 410-332-6415, or drop me an e-mail at stephanie.newton@baltsun.com.

Look forward to hearing your comments!
-Stephanie Newton
The Baltimore Sun

nbs2
Jun 26, 2007, 04:44 PM
Hi to all in Maryland hoping to buy an iPhone this week. I am a reporter with The Baltimore Sun, and I'm working on a story this week about those among you who have crafted a game plan for snagging an iPhone on Friday. If you plan on camping out or have devised some type of strategy for your purchase, I want to hear about it!

Please give me a call today at 410-332-6415, or drop me an e-mail at stephanie.newton@baltsun.com.

Look forward to hearing your comments!
-Stephanie Newton
The Baltimore Sun

Wow.

Her articles aren't anything to write home about, but she looks legit. I may call just to see which Apple related forums she's hitting up for interviews...

digitalboi@mac.
Jun 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Ok, just got off the phone with the apple store in towson...They are not planning anything special and "if a line forms then a line forms". They wont be keeping from lining up at any time. But they have no idea what mall security or the fire-marshal will be saying or doing...anyone have any ideas?

talk2dug
Jun 27, 2007, 03:58 PM

THe clueless staff is kind of a bad point. WHat questions are you going to ask that they would know. Have you not been reading the macrumors site?? haha Oh and what reason would the staff have for opening it if the sim car is permanently installed? And they can not activate it for you. As far as I see no need to open the box...

TonyRockyHorror
Jun 27, 2007, 04:32 PM
Lakeforest mall in Gaithersburg, for me. I've got to work that day, but I'm going to step out for a couple of hours around 4, and hope that there isn't a big line. It's kind of out there, so I think it should be ok, as far as getting one. If they're sold out, I'll just place my order and get it in the mail. That way, I cna unbox it my damned self. w00t.

from the d.c. thread, befor ethis one started.

thecreativ1
Jun 27, 2007, 05:00 PM
Ok, just got off the phone with the apple store in towson...They are not planning anything special and "if a line forms then a line forms". They wont be keeping from lining up at any time. But they have no idea what mall security or the fire-marshal will be saying or doing...anyone have any ideas?

I work 3 blocks from the Towson Center, so I will be going to the Apple Store directly after (around 5:45).

The day Tiger was released there was a pretty healthy line. A fire marshall kept count of the number of people in the store. After it filled to fire code capacity, he'd let in 4 people at a time after 4 others exited. Took about 30 minutes to get into the store.

I'll be there!!!

martinc
Jun 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
i'll be waiting at the cingular store in dunkirk, northern calvert county
not accutally buying tho, just going to play around.

i'll be getting there at noon
and i'll be suprised if theres ONE other person there.

sometimes living in a redneck area can be a good thing. :D

Yup, this is the store I plan on hitting first. Is this a big-ish store?

strangelogic
Jun 27, 2007, 06:16 PM
Okay - my plan was to go down to att store in Waldorf MD - it's stand-alone (I think it used to be a kenny roger's roast chicken restaurant, so it's pretty big) If the weather sucks I'm not gonna want to be there for hours. Was considering 3pm arrival though I have the day off from work.

However, the 'return policy' from att looks like hell. And if I don't have good signal at home (yes I checked their map, it should be okay, but... ) I will be returning it - obviously if I can't use it as a phone at home it is not much good to me. Problem is I have not seen :apple: return policy for iphone. att says if you've opened the box then there is a 10% fee... I don't think :apple: will do that, and if they do, maybe I shouldn't buy... :mad:

So - backup plans - Apple store Clarendon VA (again - weather permitting), Apple store Annapolis, or att Store Bowie Town center.

Page here says 4:1 ratio of 8GB to 4GB units that is good news! Also says 'larger' Apple stores will be getting about 1000 each. Now ... I need to find that website that has all the details about the :apple: retail stores and figure out which ones have the most sq ft... Might do Towson...

All this discussion is getting to me, now I'm about ready to find my sleeping bag!

fyi - National weather service...
Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 81.

Mercurywipeout
Jun 27, 2007, 11:24 PM
Well, I know that this thread in no way represents every potential iPhone buyer in Maryland, but it makes me feel good that not many people are talking about going to Towson Mall Apple Store to get the phone. It sucks though that in order to get a ride to the mall (dont feel like catching the bus), I have to be there at 10am. And wait till 6pm to get the iPhone. I'll probably end up passing out on a bench for a little while or something.

Well, actually, its either 10am I get there, or 4:30pm'ish, and I'd rather get there really early than so close to launch.

metalhawk
Jun 28, 2007, 07:52 AM
Well, I know that this thread in no way represents every potential iPhone buyer in Maryland, but it makes me feel good that not many people are talking about going to Towson Mall Apple Store to get the phone. It sucks though that in order to get a ride to the mall (dont feel like catching the bus), I have to be there at 10am. And wait till 6pm to get the iPhone. I'll probably end up passing out on a bench for a little while or something.

Well, actually, its either 10am I get there, or 4:30pm'ish, and I'd rather get there really early than so close to launch.

Well, we'll see. I'm planning on at least driving over to Towson after work - I'm hoping you're right and there won't be horrific lines. There are several Cingular stores nearby (1 in the mall, one right one my way home from there), so I have backup options (including ordering on line). I'd love to have one to play with Friday night, however...

EDIT: OK, so the iPhone availability checker is there. Duh. They all "have them" for tomorrow. I Suppose you could use it to check at 8 or something and see if you still want to drive by :)

Here's my favorite thing though, from the schedule for the Towson store:

Friday, June 29th
No Events Scheduled

:P

RnSK
Jun 28, 2007, 08:47 AM
Here's my favorite thing though, from the schedule for the Towson store:

Friday, June 29th
No Events Scheduled

:P

I don't think any stores anywhere have anything scheduled on the 29th ;)

fishkorp
Jun 28, 2007, 08:49 AM
for Columbia i'm willing to bet the 2 non-mall AT&T locations will be a lot less crowded. luckily there are 4 AT&T stores carrying the iPhone plus the Apple store all within 7 miles of Columbia :)

of course you don't get all the Apple store nostalgia if you go to an AT&T store. which i don't care about. i want to get it, get my phone, and get out.

killthefifi
Jun 28, 2007, 09:55 AM
Yup, this is the store I plan on hitting first. Is this a big-ish store?
yeah, the store is really big, but at&t service usally sucks in calvert, which is the only reason why i cant get one :mad:

it seems like such a waste, a huge great store, but its constantly empty.

crap. i just called the dunkirk store
me: "is there a demo unit available to try on friday?"
them: "no."

and for the annapolis apple store:
me: "is there a demo unit available to try on friday?"
them: "yes, you can touch it, and play with it, but no calls"

i think i know where i havta go. :( with the crowds