PDA

View Full Version : Rides Shut Down After Girl's Feet Severed

MacNut
Jun 23, 2007, 08:46 PM
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (June 23) - Six Flags and Cedar Fair shut down eight more thrill rides around North America on Friday after a teenage girl's feet were sliced off during a ride in Kentucky.

State inspectors were at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to examine the Superman Tower of Power, where the accident happened Thursday. The ride lifts passengers 177 feet straight up, then drops them nearly the same distance at speeds reaching 54 mph.

A cable broke loose on the ride, striking the 13-year-old girl in the legs, said Bill Clary, a spokesman for the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, which inspects amusement park rides. Clary said inspectors don't know what caused the cable to break.

Six Flags shut down similar rides at parks in St. Louis; Gurnee, Ill.; and near Washington as a safety precaution, Goldberg said. She said Six Flags Over Texas, near Dallas, also has a Superman Tower of Power, but it is not the same ride.

There had been no reports of injuries on the ride before Thursday, she said.

"Millions of people have safely ridden this ride in our parks," Goldberg said.

The ride passed inspection in each of the last four years according to inspection records, The Louisville Courier-Journal reported on its Web site.

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. also shut down drop tower rides at five of its amusement parks for inspection, company spokeswoman Stacy Frole said. Frole described it as a precautionary measure.

OutThere
Jun 23, 2007, 10:32 PM
Damn that's a lot of bad press for amusement parks lately.

I've been planning a trip to six flags this summer with some of my friends...hopefully they don't face more problems!

SkyBell
Jun 24, 2007, 02:53 AM
geez, I hope the girl's ok...can they re-attatch feet?:(

Fearless Leader
Jun 24, 2007, 02:57 AM
geez, I hope the girl's ok...can they re-attatch feet?:(

I don't think so, she will be able to have a prosthetic replacements though, well at least I assume.

Counterfit
Jun 24, 2007, 04:02 AM
I read in a different article that park workers actually retrieved her feet, and sent them to the hospital with her. She went into surgery a day or two ago, but I don't know if was to try and reattach, or just clean it up for prosthetics.

Queso
Jun 24, 2007, 04:24 AM
That makes me feel rather queasy :(

That poor girl. And how must her parents be feeling?

bartelby
Jun 24, 2007, 04:27 AM
That makes me feel rather queasy :(

That poor girl. And how must her parents be feeling?

Make me feel a little ill too.

I imagine there'll be a pretty hefty law suit coming. Still, I'd rather have feet.

Dagless
Jun 24, 2007, 08:30 AM
Reminds me of Space Invaders 2 at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, where some guy had his head chopped off. These sort of incidents really make think twice about getting into a rollercoaster :(

TequilaBoobs
Jun 24, 2007, 08:44 AM
remember that time that girl was on the freefall ride, and when it reached the top level, her hair got caught in a mechanism. she frantically tried to pull her hair out during those intense few seconds when the car is suspended in the air before it drops. she failed, and consequently all her skin from the neck up came off her head, and authorities said she died instantly.:(

c.greene914
Jun 24, 2007, 08:48 AM
I saw where the press were talking to a father who's daughter was on the ride at the same time. His daughter would have been sitting in the 'death seat', but switched to allow the girl who lost her feet to sit next to her friend.

Imagine how that must feel.

TequilaBoobs
Jun 24, 2007, 08:52 AM
i just cant imagine how a cable, which isnt a sharp object, would sever off a pair of feet,,,?> that mustve been one hell of a cable-whip...

devilot
Jun 24, 2007, 09:16 AM
i just cant imagine how a cable, which isnt a sharp object, would sever...With enough downward force, you can use a simple guitar string to slice through some tough cheese... I'd imagine a cable along with the downward momentum and speed could wreak havoc on well, other organic matter. :o (Er, one link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/4914013.html) I was shown.)

Lord Blackadder
Jun 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
The most common occurance of injuries from snapping cables is aboard ships - a taught cable or even hemp line, if under enough tension when it snaps, can slice a person in two with horrifying ease.

Imagine a giant weedwhacker - it works on the weeds and, given enough force, it will work on human flesh with similar effectiveness.

Queso
Jun 24, 2007, 09:25 AM
**unsubscribes from thread due to retching reflex**

rosalindavenue
Jun 24, 2007, 10:02 AM
The most common occurance of injuries from snapping cables is aboard ships - a taught cable or even hemp line, if under enough tension when it snaps, can slice a person in two with horrifying ease.

Imagine a giant weedwhacker - it works on the weeds and, given enough force, it will work on human flesh with similar effectiveness.

Yes. My dad was on an aircraft carrier in the 60s and one of the cables that snags landing planes snapped when a plane caught it and cut a man in half.

dmw007
Jun 24, 2007, 09:26 PM
I feel bad for the girl and her family, but this just seems to have been a freak accident. :o :)

yg17
Jun 24, 2007, 09:43 PM
IIRC, Mythbusters busted the myth of a cable being able to slice someone in half, I wonder if they'll be revisiting that one :D

AoWolf
Jun 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
Yes. My dad was on an aircraft carrier in the 60s and one of the cables that snags landing planes snapped when a plane caught it and cut a man in half.

Someone died at Disney World because a line used to tie a riverboat down snapped. Tragically ironic that one of the "safest" rides in the park killed someone.

EricNau
Jun 24, 2007, 09:52 PM
Someone died at Disney World because a line used to tie a riverboat down snapped. Tragically ironic that one of the "safest" rides in the park killed someone.
I believe that the person died from the object that fell when the cable snapped - not the cable itself.
...And it was Disneyland, not Disney World. ;)

Bobdude161
Jun 25, 2007, 02:00 AM
This ride was formerly known as "Hell-evator". Six Flags/Kentucky Kingdom is like a ghetto carnival on cheap steroids. Figures something like this would happen. That ride has had soooo many problems. Many times, people have been stuck at the top of that thing, sometimes for up to an half hour. Or they would stop short and end up one third of the way down. OR half the cars would be non-functional throughout the whole season. I hope they tear that piece of **** down, hell, the whole park for all I care.

iGav
Jun 25, 2007, 05:04 AM
With enough downward force, you can use a simple guitar string to slice through some tough cheese... I'd imagine a cable along with the downward momentum and speed could wreak havoc on well, other organic matter. :o (Er, one link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/4914013.html) I was shown.)

Another Intamin ride... blimey, they seem to have had their fair share of issues over the last 8-10 years.

All this latest incident will do of course is boost the rides popularity. It's that element of danger... realised.

andiwm2003
Jun 25, 2007, 10:16 AM
IIRC, Mythbusters busted the myth of a cable being able to slice someone in half, I wonder if they'll be revisiting that one :D

i was thinking of the same. there must be some other mechanism than simple cable whip.

not that it really matters.

at that point i only hope the cut was clean and they can reattach the feet. it seems they sent them to the hospital with her and i also assume all happened very quick so i really hope the chances are good.

imac/cheese
Jun 25, 2007, 03:15 PM
I am really surprised we do not see more of these type of articles where people get seriously hurt at amusement parks. As an engineer, I realize that a lot of collaborative design work goes into the rides and they are tested exhaustively, but everything breaks down eventually even with good maintenance. I really worry about the rides at traveling carnivals. I have looked at those rides before and it doesn't even look as if they are maintained regularly.

OutThere
Jun 25, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am really surprised we do not see more of these type of articles where people get seriously hurt at amusement parks. As an engineer, I realize that a lot of collaborative design work goes into the rides and they are tested exhaustively, but everything breaks down eventually even with good maintenance. I really worry about the rides at traveling carnivals. I have looked at those rides before and it doesn't even look as if they are maintained regularly.

Gah...I rode a few of the rides at the carnival that came to town last summer...I hadn't ridden any since I was little. They were sooo rickety, which kind of added to the fun in a sort of sick way.

It's good they found the girl's feet, though I've never heard of foot reattachment. Imagine the people who had to go find the feet and pick them up...

YoshiKA1142
Jun 30, 2007, 10:16 PM
That makes me quiver every time i hear bout it. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :apple:

Vuzie
Jul 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
well it didn't take too long for the next amusement park fatality.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/30/amusement.park.death.ap/index.html

This time it seems like the park is gonna be in big trouble for ignoring required safety precautions. Four fatalities in 3 years?!?! WTF