Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek77

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2006
My iBook G3's logic board has died for the second time and Apple refuses to touch it (the extension plan has exspired). So, I need to get up and running with a laptop again for a very low price, and only for one year (I will be investing in a Macbook Pro a year from now). Would I be better of buying a new logic board off of ebay, or just getting a new machine. I can get a Titanium Powerbook for like $200. I really don't want to go anywhere past 200 dollars. Thanks for any buying tips or repair tips.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
How confident are you about fitting the board?

If you or anybody has an idea how simple it is I might be interested to hear as I've got the same issue.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Your icon disturbs me.

Back to the OP's question...(although I agree with you), why can't you buy a mbp now? Why does your purchase have to be next year? If you can answer this, maybe we can give you better suggestions.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
To answer your question, I'd get the titanium powerbook g4. I had one and they are great computers. Pop in a new hard drive and enough ram for you to feel comfortable and you'll feel a world of difference from your current g3 ibook all for a low cost till you get a new macbook pro. When you get the MBP you can then sell the powerbook and it'll be like if you rented the powerbook for a low price. Enjoy!

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Is this the dreaded no-video problem? If it is, often you can get the computer to work temporarily by placing a good amount of pressure on the left palm rest (don't be afraid -- press down fairly hard while pressing the power button and continue to hold pressure until the display comes on). If it starts working again, then you'll know what the problem is -- fractured solder joints on the video chip.

If this is the case and you feel comfortable removing your logic board, google "First Phase Tech". They are a company aware of this defect and charge $50 to fix it. They've been able to fix one dead logic board for me, and I'm getting ready to send them another. But they only accept logic boards, not the entire computer.

macgeek77

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Well, I would like to get the MBP now but I am still saving my cash for it. It is just not the right time now. But...in regard to getting the Titanium Powerbook, would this be the best machine for the $200 level or is there another machine in Apple's history I am just not remembering? Would an iBook do better? :D :apple: THanks again for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.