PDA

View Full Version : First Gen iPod upgrades?

NavyIntel007
Jul 10, 2003, 04:11 PM
Has anyone heard of any company trying to sell the 1.8" hard drives to upgrade first generation iPods. I'm running out of space.

I'm guessing not because I doubt anyone could sell this upgrade at a price point that would make more sense than buying a new iPod.

But give me a bare 10 GB drive for around $100 and you've got yourself a deal! :cool:

Kwyjibo
Jul 10, 2003, 04:29 PM
i used to see the replacement drives on ebay all the time but they wre pretty expesnive :( like the cost of a new or refub ipod.... If i fina comapny selling them i'll be sure to link

glad to see you posting again navy

NavyIntel007
Jul 10, 2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks, after getting my 12" powerbook I haven't really paid attention to rumorland.

Anyway, I went on some other sites and found some information. These are ATA drives that Toshiba makes. The part number is MK5002MAL for the 5 GB drive. They have part numbers for the drives 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 GB. So the drives are out there but the question is if the firmware on the ipod will recognize it.

I know there's someone out there who bought the original 5 GB and then bought the 10 or 20 GB later and gave the 5er to their sister. Go steal it back when she's not looking! Pop those bad boys up and switch the drives and see if they work! Then I can get some sleep at night.

NavyIntel007
Jul 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
SCORE!!!!! Found the TechTV article. Unfortunately he doesn't say where you can get the bigger hard drive. Steal it from your friend's iPod when he's not looking. He'll never notice right?

I know I'm not the only one thinking about this!!! Speak up ya'll!!!

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3472745,00.html