PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Kansas City, MO/KS

Salty Pirate
Jun 24, 2007, 10:07 AM
Apple Store on the plaza or AT&T stores?

I have a foldable chair with shoulder strap, a pillow, a sleeping bag and a cooler full of red bull & water. My nano. a small flask of vodka:eek: hidden on my person.

I am gonna drive around on the 28th and if I see lots of people in line, I will just stay out all night, but realistically, I am thinking about getting in line at 8 or 9 after a huge breakfast.

What say you?

rdowns
Jun 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
a cooler full of red bull & water.
a small flask of vodka
after a huge breakfast.

Don't forget your Porta-Potty.:D

Salty Pirate
Jun 24, 2007, 10:27 AM
Don't forget your Porta-Potty.:D

yes. that might be a problem. Maybe I should wear Depends™?

jur1st
Jun 24, 2007, 10:34 AM
I can't imagine that Plaza security will allow camping overnight at all. I've got a CLE in the morning and I'll be down to the apple store shortly after that. Check out the AT&T store if you *want* to camp. This is KC we're talking about here...we're low key.

Salty Pirate
Jun 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
I can't imagine that Plaza security will allow camping overnight at all. I've got a CLE in the morning and I'll be down to the apple store shortly after that. Check out the AT&T store if you *want* to camp. This is KC we're talking about here...we're low key.

I really do not want to camp. I want an 8GB phone on the 29th. I guess I will line up in the morning and sit outside all day. Hopefully, it will be fun with cool people.

mattcube64
Jun 24, 2007, 12:51 PM

My girlfriend and I were thinking about camping down there at the Plaza. However, we'll probably just end up at a Cingular store because I need to also set my mom and sister up for a plan (w/ different phones, of course).

Also, we live in Blue Springs, so the Plaza is kind of a far drive.

However, as "low key" as KC, remember the game console launches?

God, I waited for 40+ hours to get my PS3, smack dab in the middle of Missouri, lol.

jfinke
Jun 25, 2007, 10:29 AM
God, I waited for 40+ hours to get my PS3, smack dab in the middle of Missouri, lol.

Funny... I was just at Gamestop over by OPMall. They had a bunch for sale. But, no Wiis...:eek:

Salty Pirate
Jun 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
I am leaning towards the apple store on the plaza.

easy access to starbucks and food. Maybe spend part of Friday afternoon at Kona getting juiced up!

I am really getting excited. This week is gonna suck.

stoid
Jun 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
This is getting scary. I'm planning on replacing my Rev. A 15 inch Aluminum PowerBook with a low-end MacBook this weekend. I also wanted to take my girlfriend to see Ratatouille on opening night. I was hoping that this meant going down Thursday afternoon, but it looks like there might not be a midnight show (darn kids movies) and so I'll be going down Friday instead. While it would be sweet to get to see the iPhone in person on opening day, I don't want to be caught up in the mob scene just trying to get my MacBook. Maybe I'll show up at the Apple store at the Plaza at 4 pm, get my MacBook, go get some dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen, head back around 6:30 or 7 to get a gander at the new shiny, and then head out to the movie for a 9 or 10 screening.

Any word of the stores closing down to reopen at 6 pm? It would suck to get there and have the store closed.

izzle22
Jun 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
There is no way I'm going to the Plaza for this. Your chances will be slim there. I was at the Plaza for grand opening day (I was first in line:D) and it was a mad house. I will find a nice quiet AT&T store up north somewhere.

Salty Pirate
Jun 25, 2007, 10:54 AM
There is no way I'm going to the Plaza for this. Your chances will be slim there. I was at the Plaza for grand opening day (I was first in line:D) and it was a mad house. I will find a nice quiet AT&T store up north somewhere.

all part of the fun

izzle22
Jun 25, 2007, 10:56 AM
Apple Store on the plaza or AT&T stores?

I have a foldable chair with shoulder strap, a pillow, a sleeping bag and a cooler full of red bull & water. My nano. a small flask of vodka:eek: hidden on my person.

I am gonna drive around on the 28th and if I see lots of people in line, I will just stay out all night, but realistically, I am thinking about getting in line at 8 or 9 after a huge breakfast.

What say you?

If you're bringing Red Bull and vodka I'll join you. LOL

Salty Pirate
Jun 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
If you're bringing Red Bull and vodka I'll join you. LOL

plenty for everyone

izzle22
Jun 25, 2007, 10:58 AM
all part of the fun

Yeah the hanging out is cool and fun but if you really want an iPhone it's no fun if you hang out all day or night and they run out.

Salty Pirate
Jun 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah the hanging out is cool and fun but if you really want an iPhone it's no fun if you hang out all day or night and they run out.

"cold sweats" "vomiting" if they run out

flyfish29
Jun 25, 2007, 11:29 AM
I wish I still lived in KC!!! Not only woudl I get iPhone service but I could have some Vodka too!

Unfortunately in NH there is such limited cell phone service at all, and ATT has like no presence in this part of the state! I love the mountains until they get in way of me owning an iPhone!!!

Icebird
Jun 25, 2007, 01:03 PM
Oh No, there's Kansas City campers?! I was hoping while reading this forum I wouldn't see "Kansas City" on the list and I could show up at 3pm or so with a couple of people in line. I could hope couldn't I? :)

Is everyone really going to go as early as 9am? Almost 9 hours? I guess I waited longer for the Wii and PS3... but for a cell phone? Argh.

I'll be camping at the Plaza because that's the closest for me. Ironically, I'll probably be using my Macbook with Sprint's EVDO card while waiting to get an AT&T phone.

Hopefully we'll get average inventory numbers for Apple Stores and Price Plans before Friday.

leafy
Jun 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'm too poor to buy an iPhone, but maybe I should visit the plaza store and just hang out and drool over tech that I can't afford, and maybe meet some new friends in the process.

mattcube64
Jun 25, 2007, 02:39 PM
Just went to the Plaza store a couple days ago... after the remodel.

I kinda liked the old layout better. Plus... I didn't see cash registers?! Am I just blind?

Salty Pirate
Jun 25, 2007, 02:42 PM
Just went to the Plaza store a couple days ago... after the remodel.

I kinda liked the old layout better. Plus... I didn't see cash registers?! Am I just blind?

not blind. They do not seem to have registers anymore, they have these really cool wireless handheld POS units that they swipe your credit card and a receipt comes out. Not sure how they handle cash though.

Icebird
Jun 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
Where are you guys going to activate your phone? I don't think they'll do it at the Apple Store.
I've never been to an AT&T store, so I have no idea where they are in the Kansas City area. I looked up on Google, and there's only one titled AT&T and seems like a store but it's in Lee Summit - 3101 SW Roberts Dr
Lees Summit, MO 64082

The others look like offices, and some places are popping up like Penn Valley Community College and Dutchguard. Do these places have an AT&T store?

bbarnhart
Jun 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
Is the Apple Store any larger after the remodel?

The only time I've been there was during December. The store was tiny and packed, packed, packed with people. We were on the Plaza gazing at the lights with the kids and I specifically needed to get a "foot" for the iBook. I got one and quickly left.

mlukens
Jun 25, 2007, 03:31 PM
Where are you guys going to activate your phone? I don't think they'll do it at the Apple Store.
I've never been to an AT&T store, so I have no idea where they are in the Kansas City area. I looked up on Google, and there's only one titled AT&T and seems like a store but it's in Lee Summit - 3101 SW Roberts Dr
Lees Summit, MO 64082

The others look like offices, and some places are popping up like Penn Valley Community College and Dutchguard. Do these places have an AT&T store?

There are official AT&T stores in Lees Summit, 2 in Independence and more Im sure.

mlukens
Jun 25, 2007, 03:32 PM
Is the Apple Store any larger after the remodel?

The only time I've been there was during December. The store was tiny and packed, packed, packed with people. We were on the Plaza gazing at the lights with the kids and I specifically needed to get a "foot" for the iBook. I got one and quickly left.

No, They just moved the Genius bar to the back where the registers were (there both at the same desk now) make the kids area smaller and added a table with 4 Macs for training over near the iPod accessories.

kcmac
Jun 25, 2007, 08:40 PM
I am thinking there will be a big line at the Plaza Store. Last summer when we bought our son a computer for college (plus the free iPod) the line was huge.

When the store initially opened, the line was huge. I'm not sure if Plaza security allows camping but if you are looking to stand in line, you best get there very early.

As for me, I will drive by the store on my way to and from work Thursday and Friday just to drool with envy at the people having a shot at getting one the first day. :D

izzle22
Jun 25, 2007, 10:16 PM
Anyone in the Liberty area plan on going to AT&T store? I'm going up early and see if there is a line and hopefully go back home and come back up later. I really don't want to stand in line all day but I took the day off just in case. If someone is going up to that store I wouldn't mind taking turns going home and saving a place.

Icebird
Jun 26, 2007, 01:42 AM
There are official AT&T stores in Lees Summit, 2 in Independence and more Im sure.

There are actually a ton of Cingular stores also around Overland Park and Olathe I just realized. I forgot they are the same company. They'll be selling iPhones and offering the plans as well right? I might just go by one of those after getting it at the plaza. Or I might just camp out at one of those stores.
Might be less crowded than the plaza if you're all going to be down there!

bbarnhart
Jun 26, 2007, 07:34 AM
I would think it would be easier to find a phone at a Cingular/AT&T store than at the Apple Store. I think people would be more inclined to go to the Apple Store than a wireless store. But, then again, you don't know how many phones are going to each store. The Apple Store on the plaza could have as many phones as all the wireless stores combined.

CDugan
Jun 26, 2007, 07:38 AM
I'll be at the plaza, but I'm not sure exactly when to get there. I remember on tax exempt student day last year, the line made it all the way up the block and around the corner. I got there at about 6:30 am and was first in line, but by no more than 15 minutes. I might give thursday night a shot, see what security does...

polygial
Jun 26, 2007, 08:46 AM
I went on the Plaza Apple store page on apple.com. It states that the store will be closed from 2 to 6 pm. I talked to one guy who claims to know several of the security guards at the Plaza, however I think that won't matter as they probably won't let at crowd gather late a night. I am going to speak to the store manager today to find out what their offical policy is. Cheers! :apple:

technicolor
Jun 27, 2007, 05:48 AM
Im going to an At&T store. Everybody and their mothers will be at the Apple store. Im going to go to an AT&T in bumbleeff nowhere, where the hicks hadnt heard of iPhone.

AT&T
6951 WEST 119TH STREET
OVERLAND PARK, KS 66209

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Equipment Recycling Program
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment
* Prepaid - TDMA to GSM Migration

(913) 469-9293 6 Miles

AT&T
4015 MILL ST
KANSAS CITY, MO 64111

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(816) 753-4333 6.21 Miles

AT&T
12213 SHAWNEE MISSION PARKWAY
SHAWNEE, KS 66216

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(913) 498-2355 8.84 Miles

AT&T
635 NW MURRAY ROAD
LEES SUMMIT, MO 64081

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(816) 525-3235 9.54 Miles

AT&T
18810 EAST 39TH STREET
INDEPENDENCE, MO 64057

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(816) 795-6300 12.98 Miles

AT&T
20163 WEST 153RD
OLATHE, KS 66061

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(913) 254-0303 15.22 Miles

AT&T
1813 VILLAGE WEST PARKWAY
KANSAS CITY, KS 66109

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(913) 334-9615 16.73 Miles

AT&T
8414 N CHURCH RD
KANSAS CITY, MO 64157

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(816) 781-2400 20.33 Miles

AT&T
8615 NW PRAIRIE VIEW RD.
KANSAS CITY, MO 64153

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(816) 741-7272 21.12 Miles

AT&T
3400 SOUTH 4TH STREET TRAFFICWAY
LEAVENWORTH, KS 66048

* AT&T DSL Sales
* Apple iPhone
* Bill Payments - All
* Equipment Upgrade
* GoPhone Refills
* Prepaid - Equipment

(913) 682-6600 28.31 Miles

Icebird
Jun 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
Im going to an At&T store. Everybody and their mothers will be at the Apple store. Im going to go to an AT&T in bumbleeff nowhere, where the hicks hadnt heard of iPhone.

Which store is that?

I'm thinking if there's a store in holcomb, Kansas (north of Topeka), I might head down there. I remember going there for the PS3 launch and was able to get there at 4pm the day before and only wait 7 hours because hardly anyone knew they were getting any.

MacD
Jun 27, 2007, 05:21 PM
I had thought about camping out, but don't want to camp out all night and then wait the entire next day. Seems silly, but kinda fun too. My schedule has been in flux and finally today, I was able to start wrapping up plans for Friday.

I'm going to the ATT store on Shawnee Mission parkway, closer to where I live and figure it won't be south where the Sprint folks and Leawoodites live that the iPhone cost is lunch money. I plan on calling tomorrow to see what type of supplies they will have and then decide if I need to line up at 10am or 3pm. Might even do a drive by around 10 and see if a line exists and then another around 1, then around 3 and figure I'd just stay at that point if the line was short.

I think the Apple Store would be more fun, but think I will pass on it. Might do a drive by, walk by later in the evening since they will be open until midnight.

CDugan
Jun 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking now I'm going to try and get there around 8-9ish. I'm not dead set on being first, but I think it'll be fun to hang out down on the plaza, surf on apple's wifi, so on and so forth.

That is, if the weather doesn't suck.

kevan
Jun 28, 2007, 02:42 AM
i can't decide whether or not to go to at&t – probably at zona rosa, 'cause it is close, or the apple store.... i definitely think that it'll be busier down at the apple store, and sounds like a bit more fun, but i'd hate to wait all damn day and not even get a phone.... anybody else thinking about heading to zona? regardless of where i go i was thinking about going around 10 or 11, as i figure a lot of people who can shell out the money for this are people who work 9 to 5's.

should we bring anything else? Salty's got the booze+red bull, my fiance works at barnes and noble in zona rosa, which means discount at every b&n – a few fauxbucks runs are possible/cheap.

bbarn, you have a point, but i think that the apple store will probably have more units than any at&t store in town. they will also be able to force their way through more people. have you been there at christmas? they have those little hand scanners that they swipe your card and email you your receipt. that sounds like a whole hell of a lot faster than going to at&t, saying yes i waited through that line for a phone, please give it to me now, yes i have a card... wait five minutes for there computer to do its thing – it is a dell after all, and then leave. the zona store only has like 8 or so computers for them to sell things at, unless they are beefing that up for the launch as well, which is entirely possible.

mattcube64
Jun 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
i can't decide whether or not to go to at&t probably at zona rosa, 'cause it is close, or the apple store.... i definitely think that it'll be busier down at the apple store, and sounds like a bit more fun, but i'd hate to wait all damn day and not even get a phone.... anybody else thinking about heading to zona? regardless of where i go i was thinking about going around 10 or 11, as i figure a lot of people who can shell out the money for this are people who work 9 to 5's.

should we bring anything else? Salty's got the booze+red bull, my fiance works at barnes and noble in zona rosa, which means discount at every b&n a few fauxbucks runs are possible/cheap.

bbarn, you have a point, but i think that the apple store will probably have more units than any at&t store in town. they will also be able to force their way through more people. have you been there at christmas? they have those little hand scanners that they swipe your card and email you your receipt. that sounds like a whole hell of a lot faster than going to at&t, saying yes i waited through that line for a phone, please give it to me now, yes i have a card... wait five minutes for there computer to do its thing it is a dell after all, and then leave. the zona store only has like 8 or so computers for them to sell things at, unless they are beefing that up for the launch as well, which is entirely possible.

I was thinking about doing the Zona Rosa store, too. But my theory is that if I go ANYWHERE at around 9am (like I'm planning) there's already gonna be 20+ hardcore campers anywhere I go. I figure Zona Rosa AT&T will probably only get that many iPhones. HOWEVER... I really wouldn't be surprised if the Apple Store got 300+ iPhones... and at 9am, there is no way there will already be 300+ people camping out.

Just my theory.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
Has anyone had any luck getting ahold of a local KC AT&T store to find out what type of supplies they are going to have?

This is really a gamble. I don't want to wait in line from 7-9am through 6pm and beyond... that does not sound like much fun to me. But, if I can get in line at a AT&T store around 3pm, and still have a chance, that would be great.

My guess, and I could be wrong, but if the store only has 50 phones to sell, if more than 50 people are in line, I'd think they would cut it off and say, anyone beyond this is SOL.

?

But in all honesty, why would the stores be open until 10pm, it wouldn't take 4 hours to sell 50 phones, not with go home and activate your phone procedure.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 12:12 PM
Went by an ATT store in Johnson County, they said they had no clue how many iPhones they would get in or my odds of getting one. :) Only one phone per-person in line, so in theory, you could get back in line and buy a second one, if you felt that the line was shorter than the supply they had on hand.

I might be going mobile tomorrow... see if my phone will allow me to do my job remotely... might just camp out in front of a store until 3-4 people get in line, then go ahead and take my place and setup shop in line.

kevan
Jun 28, 2007, 12:58 PM
I was thinking about doing the Zona Rosa store, too. But my theory is that if I go ANYWHERE at around 9am (like I'm planning) there's already gonna be 20+ hardcore campers anywhere I go. I figure Zona Rosa AT&T will probably only get that many iPhones. HOWEVER... I really wouldn't be surprised if the Apple Store got 300+ iPhones... and at 9am, there is no way there will already be 300+ people camping out.

Just my theory.

you're right about the campers, even if there have been some people waiting all night, there is no way that they'll be enough of 'em by 9. plus apple said no more than two a person, and if there going to let you purchase more than one, they've gotta a)assume that they've got enough to keep us all happy which if memory serves me right, apple made that statement, or b)they don't think there'll be as many of us as we do.

i've thought about it a lot and am definitely going to the apple store. see you guys there.

technicolor
Jun 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
I havent lived here long, but I just cant see that many people camping out around here. Maybe I just have a negative view of the ppl in the KCMO/KCKS area. I will probably go to the Overland Park store because I live in Leawood and its closer.

What is zona rosa?

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
I havent lived here long, but I just cant see that many people camping out around here. Maybe I just have a negative view of the ppl in the KCMO/KCKS area. I will probably go to the Overland Park store because I live in Leawood and its closer.

What is zona rosa?

You mean all our SUV's don't equal "outdoor" types? :)

This is coming from someone that lives in Leawood. <rolling eyes>

Icebird
Jun 28, 2007, 04:08 PM
Well, after reading the front page of this site, I think it's safest to go to the Apple store. AT&T stores are probably getting limited supplies, especially with the large number of stores they have. Most of them will probably be giving those mail orders to customers who've already waited hours.
Since there's few apple stores around the country, and this is the only Apple store in the Kansas City area I'd suspect they'd get a lot even with people having the option of buying 2. It's probably a lot more than any of us suspect too or they wouldn't allow people more than 1. They have to be pretty confident in their numbers to be doing that.

See ya guys there at the plaza. I'll be there around 9am or 10am depending on when I wake up.

technicolor
Jun 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
You mean all our SUV's don't equal "outdoor" types? :)

This is coming from someone that lives in Leawood. <rolling eyes>

No I mean that most people around here are backwards and not that hip on technology. All they know is iPod and the most basic cheapest Mac they could get their hands on. The few people on MacRumors are the exception, obviously we post here. I worked at the Apple store on the plaza so Im using that as my gauge.

izzle22
Jun 28, 2007, 05:46 PM
Just went by the Plaza and there is already 2 lawn chairs and 1 person out there right now.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
Crazy Crazy... already two people in line. <rolling eyes>

Should be fun... no clue what tomorrow holds!

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 06:23 PM
Another thread says 490 iPhones arriving at 2pm tomorrow via armored vehicle at KC store. Crazy!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3834749&posted=1#post3834749

kevan
Jun 28, 2007, 06:29 PM
wow. i didn't think people would be camping out the day before here in kc. maybe it's some of the people on this forum... i'm kinda with technicolor on this one. people around here aren't for shelling out booko bucks for things unless they are gas guzzling suvs.

ps miss demi-goddess, zona rosa is a new shopping center, much like the plaza actually the developers stole the architecture from it, at i-29 and barry road.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hmmm....

So, as long as say, I'm 200th in line or so, I'm sure to get one?! I guess if you want an 8gb, you better be in the the first 100 or so, considering people can buy 2 each.

technicolor
Jun 28, 2007, 07:10 PM
ps miss demi-goddess, zona rosa is a new shopping center, much like the plaza actually the developers stole the architecture from it, at i-29 and barry road.
Thanks! Wow that is too far for me according to google maps.

Icebird
Jun 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
Hmmm....

So, as long as say, I'm 200th in line or so, I'm sure to get one?! I guess if you want an 8gb, you better be in the the first 100 or so, considering people can buy 2 each.

Yeah, I agree. I hope most people don't get two. But you'll probably have to be at least first 100 or 150 to be guaranteed an 8gb... and I wouldn't want the 4gb for $100 less (as i'm sure many people wouldn't).

Otherwise we'll have to wait for that mail order to come in while everyone else is enjoying their iPhones. I need to get there early tomorrow. Argh.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
Yea... I was leaning toward the ATT store, as I figure I can sit in the parking lot and work on my laptop until a line starts forming then get out and depending on time either continue working in line or just hang out.

BUT... going down at the Plaza is a different ball game... longer waiting, longer distance to drag your junk with you like chairs, laptop, and whatever else.

Plus, sounds like I would need to be down there early before everyone here gets there. ;) Like 7:30am!

Hmmmm... might just do the ATT store.

Decisions, Decisions.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
I could also buy a second iPhone and ebay it and maybe make some money for me efforts in waiting in line?!

bbarnhart
Jun 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
I could also buy a second iPhone and ebay it and maybe make some money for me efforts in waiting in line?!

I think there will be plenty of iPhones to go around... maybe they'll sell out tomorrow, but I think everyone who wants one will have one by next week.

I can't believe there are people camped out on the plaza. Maybe I'll drive down there tomorrow during lunch and see what's going on.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 09:05 PM
True.

Damn... I can't decide. Apple Store or ATT?! UGH!

I can get up, gather my stuff together, go to the Plaza and see what is happening line wise, if its 50 strong, I might just park and join the sheep line. If not much happening, I might head over to an ATT store.

Oh... I'm leaning toward the Apple store if the poster who said they would have 490 units is correct. Plus, my father in law wants on iPhone and I can pick one up for him too this way, otherwise, he is going to pay someone to get in line at an ATT store. haha.

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 09:20 PM
Looks like chance of rain all day, looking at the hourly forecast (attached). This is good/bad. Good as it will keep those who are not dedicated, out of the line and bad, those who are dedicated, will be all wet and not be able to use their laptop to pass the time.

If it is rainy... might go the ATT route, then I can sit in my car until the last possible second.

CDugan
Jun 28, 2007, 09:36 PM
me and three other people are sitting in front of the plaza store at the moment, just set up a tent and settling in for the night. Come on down, make it a party!

technicolor
Jun 28, 2007, 09:38 PM
me and three other people are sitting in front of the plaza store at the moment, just set up a tent and settling in for the night. Come on down, make it a party! How many people are there?

MacD
Jun 28, 2007, 09:44 PM
3+1=4 ;)

izzle22
Jun 28, 2007, 09:53 PM
me and three other people are sitting in front of the plaza store at the moment, just set up a tent and settling in for the night. Come on down, make it a party!

Dooooodes I'd love to come down and I'm sure it will be fun, but I've spent the night one too many times in front of the Apple store at the Plaza and just can't do it again. It almost killed me. It was cool but by the next day I was soooooo damn tired, not that I'm gonna get any sleep tonight anyway.:D I hope you guys have fun and I'll see you in the morning.

CDugan
Jun 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
people are showing up slowly but surely, and the apple store employees all just left. There is an overnight security officer that's inside playing with imac's and ipods, looks like it'll be a long night for him too. According to the last employee we talked to there are a ton of phones downstairs right now, but according to all the other employees, they haven't arrived yet. The presence of the security officer leads me to believe they're here!

izzle22
Jun 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
people are showing up slowly but surely, and the apple store employees all just left. There is an overnight security officer that's inside playing with imac's and ipods, looks like it'll be a long night for him too. According to the last employee we talked to there are a ton of phones downstairs right now, but according to all the other employees, they haven't arrived yet. The presence of the security officer leads me to believe they're here!

How many people now? I'm starting to think I might come down. My wife thinks I'm crazy but she's willing to come with me. I just don't know if I can do it.

CDugan
Jun 28, 2007, 10:58 PM
we have seven names on our magical, highly official list written on a cardboard box. A few people have driven by saying there're picking up kids/significant others and are on their way back.

BEASTMAN
Jun 29, 2007, 12:33 AM
haha the cardboard list, always a favorite for launches at my Target, well we will see you guys soon.

dlpmaster
Jun 29, 2007, 01:00 AM
Meet Dave, the official first in line at Kansas City Apple Store:

http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_weblog/2007/06/the-first-perso.html

Say "Hi!" to Dave for us!
Tell him his friend Tunji said hi!

kevan
Jun 29, 2007, 01:22 AM
wow, seven people already. i'm really tempted to just come down there now.

mattcube64
Jun 29, 2007, 03:46 AM
Well, I just got off work a little bit ago... I was planning on going down there (along with a friend to hold a spot for my girlfriend) around 9am... I'm about thirty minutes away in Blue Springs, though.

Hmm... seven people, huh? Hopefully there aren't a 100+ in just the next five hours... I need a little sleep, lol.

How is the company? Am I gonna run into any trouble from you guys if I take a little nap while in line? :p

God, at least this isn't a repeat of the PS3 launch... 40+ hours inside a Wal-mart killed me, lol.

See you guys in a bit!

EDIT: I assume you guys are mooching Wi-Fi from the Apple Store? Bringing my Macbook would be a good idea?

Icebird
Jun 29, 2007, 04:43 AM
Well, I just got off work a little bit ago... I was planning on going down there (along with a friend to hold a spot for my girlfriend) around 9am... I'm about thirty minutes away in Blue Springs, though.

Hmm... seven people, huh? Hopefully there aren't a 100+ in just the next five hours... I need a little sleep, lol.

How is the company? Am I gonna run into any trouble from you guys if I take a little nap while in line? :p

God, at least this isn't a repeat of the PS3 launch... 40+ hours inside a Wal-mart killed me, lol.

See you guys in a bit!

EDIT: I assume you guys are mooching Wi-Fi from the Apple Store? Bringing my Macbook would be a good idea?

I wanna bring my macbook too, but is there going to be any power outlet down there? I have a book, but it's only in pdf on my mac, heh.

Other than that, I don't know what I'll do but sleep.
Looks like I'll have to go early though because you guys are already down there.

mattcube64
Jun 29, 2007, 06:09 AM
Well, NBC Action News just ran a two minute piece on you campers. It was a live report from the Overland Park AT&T store, where about 12 (?) people were waiting. Although, there was some footage of you guys at the Apple Store... looked like maybe 10 (?) of you guys underneath some type of tent?

Of course, a whole lot of bias and mis-information was thrown out for good, normal, media coverage, lol.

EDIT: I'm gonna be heading out in a little bit... I'll be sure to say Hi when I get there... keep an eye out for two nerds, lol.

BEASTMAN
Jun 29, 2007, 06:27 AM
well there is 24 people at the moment....no more rain! and some crazy crackhead just started yelling random quotes to us out of his car

izzle22
Jun 29, 2007, 07:14 AM
well there is 24 people at the moment....no more rain! and some crazy crackhead just started yelling random quotes to us out of his car

So for you guys down at the Plaza has it been worth it so far with all the rain or do you wish you had waited to come up there today instead? Just wondering since I decided to get a good nights rest in my own bed. I'm not sure if I'm coming up there this morning or heading up to the AT&T store that is only 2 miles from my house.

mattcube64
Jun 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
I'm here now with a friend, numbers 34 and 35...

... some guy a little bit further up in the line said they were expecting a thousand phones... I could believe it... but I'm gonna stay a wee bit doubtful.

xavierkiyoko
Jun 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm here now with a friend, numbers 34 and 35...

... some guy a little bit further up in the line said they were expecting a thousand phones... I could believe it... but I'm gonna stay a wee bit doubtful.

those of you down at the apple store on the plaza can you confirm how many people are down there? I was forced to work 4 hours today and i walked into work at 8 and everyone was like "the apple store has over 500 people there!!! i saw it on the news!".. and then i got doubtful ill get a good spot...

let me know wassup!

mattcube64
Jun 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
NO WORRIES. I am here, I swear, at the Country Club Plaza Apple Store, and I can confirm there are less than fifty people in line. I think we may have just hit fourty.

xavierkiyoko
Jun 29, 2007, 09:31 AM
NO WORRIES. I am here, I swear, at the Country Club Plaza Apple Store, and I can confirm there are less than fifty people in line. I think we may have just hit fourty.

well that makes me feel good... im still gonna make my friend get up and get down there... He owes me anyway... where are yall gettin yall's electricity from to power yall's mac books pros?

the_ron
Jun 29, 2007, 10:05 AM
Has anyone heard any updates about the AT&T stores? I won't be in town for a few more hours and I was wondering how the lines were at the Independence and Liberty stores.

Moze
Jun 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
Has anyone heard any updates about the AT&T stores? I won't be in town for a few more hours and I was wondering how the lines were at the Independence and Liberty stores.

the_ron: I'm also in Columbia. I drove by the AT&T store on grindstone parkway on my way to work around 9:45. There was already a line of 10+ people...

I don't plan on waiting more than an hour and don't think you'd have a problem just walking in and out getting one... Each AT&T store is suppose to be getting 50-100 units. In a college town with the college students all gone, 2 AT&T stores selling iphones, the high price barrier and the fact that AT&T and a 2-year contract is necessary is going to drastically drop the # of buyers.

I plan on showing up around 5ish.

CDugan
Jun 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm posting on a macpro in store, and we're approaching fifty people in line. Not too crazy, and everybody seems respectful so far...

xavierkiyoko
Jun 29, 2007, 10:29 AM

well i work at 70 across from the independence att store.. ill pass by there when i leave and then ill hit you up...

CDugan
Jun 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
well i work at 70 across from the independence att store.. ill pass by there when i leave and then ill hit you up...

One of the guys here told us, off the record, that he doesn't think they ATT stores are going to have near the quantity that the apple store will. We were told not to worry about quantity down here, for what it's worth.

xavierkiyoko
Jun 29, 2007, 11:28 AM
One of the guys here told us, off the record, that he doesn't think they ATT stores are going to have near the quantity that the apple store will. We were told not to worry about quantity down here, for what it's worth.

i can confirm i heard that as well. my friend works that the Independence ATT store told me the same thing. not the one at the mall the one next to khols and all that...

MacD
Jun 29, 2007, 12:02 PM
ATT store in Shawnee, KS - 5 people at 8am, 7 people at noon. Ghost town.

Feel sorry for those who are 100th in line somewhere else.

Icebird
Jun 29, 2007, 01:28 PM
If anyone still is planning on coming down to the plaza, and those previous "confirmed" numbers are true, you'll be fine coming around 5 I'd even say. Only about less than 60, most getting 2, but that's still less than a 120 phones. If they really have 490, you'll easily get one.
And it's a safer bet than AT&T stores.

The rain is really sucking for camping out right now though!

flyfish29
Jun 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
If anyone still is planning on coming down to the plaza, and those previous "confirmed" numbers are true, you'll be fine coming around 5 I'd even say. Only about less than 60, most getting 2, but that's still less than a 120 phones. If they really have 490, you'll easily get one.
And it's a safer bet than AT&T stores.

The rain is really sucking for camping out right now though!

So I thought there was a limit to one per person.

MacD
Jun 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
Shawnee KS ATT store advises that not everyone in line, currently 17-22 people, will be able to get a phone. We were advised that when only 7 people where in line, we would all get one.

So, we know they have 7 or more iPhones, but less than 20. This is a really really small store. Hope I can get an 8GB.

Salty Pirate
Jun 29, 2007, 06:55 PM
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

we had big fun today and now I am as happy as a little girl.:)

BEASTMAN
Jun 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
I was about 20th in line at the apple store on the plaza, got one with a jawbone headset, played with the display for about a min, but wanted to use mine so what happens?

I go home to activate now I get a message saying its going to take further processing and expect an email, others are getting this too I guess and someone called the help line which said it could take up to 6hrs, Im pissed.

EDIT: Got my email, IM GOIN NOW!

technicolor
Jun 29, 2007, 07:56 PM
There were close to a 100 ppl at the Overland Park store. I got my phone!

MacD
Jun 29, 2007, 08:15 PM
I got one!!!! 4th in line in Shawnee. No problems works great and using it now to post this.

bbarnhart
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
Anybody not get one? I'm wondering if there was enough to go around.

Icebird
Jun 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
I was about 20th in line at the apple store on the plaza, got one with a jawbone headset, played with the display for about a min, but wanted to use mine so what happens?

I go home to activate now I get a message saying its going to take further processing and expect an email, others are getting this too I guess and someone called the help line which said it could take up to 6hrs, Im pissed.

EDIT: Got my email, IM GOIN NOW!

Yeah, I had to go to the ATT store and pay a deposit first, but after I did that and put my code into iTunes, I switched my number from Sprint and it only took about an hour for even the calls to come to my phone.

I was 25th at the Apple Store, did you get any pictures or videos? Anyone get any? I especially want to see a video of how long that line got if anyone recorded it. I never went and looked, but I heard it went around the block, into that parking garage and winded in there. So yeah, post some pics/videos here if you got any.

My digital camera ran out of battery, so all I got were crappy pics and videos from my treo. I'll have to see bad those turned out. I've been messing around with my iPhone for now.

According to the local news this morning and Apple's new site that shows iPhone availability, the Apple Store on the plaza still has iPhones.