Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I bought a new Mac Pro to replace my aging G5. Also picked up Windows Vista Home Premium. Installed the latest Boot Camp, checked to make sure I had the latest firmware, then set out to install Windows.

The first problem was when the computer reboot to install Windows the screen blanked out. Turns out that booting into Vista caused problems with the ATI X1900XT card in my machine. (It apparently didn't like the DVI to DVI video signal.) So I hooked up the DVI to VGA converter and plugged in a VGA cable into my Hyundai monitor.

Install went smoothly and booting into Windows works without problem. Have installed several games and they run beautifully.

So I go to switch back to the DVI input thinking maybe it was a driver related issue. Screen blanked for a minute and then Windows appeared. This proves Windows and the DVI on the ATI card like each other.

I reboot the computer (holding down Control) and I choose to start Windows. Monitor goes black and, after some hard drive crunching (trying to start Windows I assume) the computer restarts. It's a vicious cycle until I plug in the DVI-to-VGA adapter and the VGA cable to the monitor to which Windows boots fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? It's really aggravating since I have such a killer system and want to use the digital display, not analog. I can't be the only one with this issue. Has anyone resolved this problem?

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
I've had the same exact problem. When I plug in an older analog monitor I can see windows just fine. But when I plug my DVI monitor in (Both brands Acer and OAC) the reboots happen.

Strange problem. Anyone else with a Mac Pro having this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.