PDA

View Full Version : Last gen iBook vs CD MacBook

dewey decibel
Jun 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hi, I've been considering getting a used iBook, maybe a PowerBook. My budget initially was around $500, but to get one with the specs I want it looks more like I'll be in the $600-700 range.

Through searching Ebay it looks like you can get a CD Macbook (1st gen?) for $700-800. It may seem obvious, but wouldn't I be way better off with a MacBook for just $100 dollars more than an iBook? I have to admit that all the issues people have had with the 1st gen MBs make me nervous...

I intend to use the 'puter to run some mutitracking audio programs, not so much as a recording tool but more as a songwriting tool, but hopefully with the capability of doing recording caliber stuff. I'm tempted to jump up to the new C2D MB but I really can't spend that much, in fact I really can't spend $600+, but if that's what it takes I'll find a way. :rolleyes:

jhande
Jun 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hi, I've been considering getting a used iBook, maybe a PowerBook. My budget initially was around $500, but to get one with the specs I want it looks more like I'll be in the $600-700 range.

I intend to use the 'puter to run some mutitracking audio programs, not so much as a recording tool but more as a songwriting tool, but hopefully with the capability of doing recording caliber stuff. I'm tempted to jump up to the new C2D MB but I really can't spend that much, in fact I really can't spend $600+, but if that's what it takes I'll find a way. :rolleyes:

I've got a MB CD (serial 4H63*******), which came out in fall. No problems there. You can search the threads for the discussions when the revision changed - I seem to remember it was just after summer, around September/October, but I'm sure others have a more exact date.

I also have an iBook. There is no comparison. The display is better, the machine is waay faster, and the aspect ratio gives you a helluva lot more real-estate than you'd think.

No regrets here. And no problems either (other than software-induced ones :rolleyes: ).

elppa
Jun 24, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'd wonder why they were selling a MacBook that young, so I would look carefully for faults.

If it's genuine then go for it. Intel is the strategy Apple is perusing and you will get better performance both now and in the future.

You also get a brighter, bigger screen and IMO a better keyboard.

Dustman
Jun 24, 2007, 06:40 PM
i vote Powerbook g4. processor aside, everything else is better than the macbook. just get plenty of ram. but with the powerbook you get an awesome keyboard, better enclosure, and a graphics card. yes, apple is moving to intel, but your just gunna be doing websurfing and audio editing anyway, and a g4 will do ya fine.

go for the 12incher

siurpeeman
Jun 24, 2007, 06:54 PM
don't listen to the above post. software support for powerpc is slowly dying, and you don't want to be stuck with technology that's several generations old, especially when the move to intel could be had for just a little more. if you're nervous about buying used and if you're willing to spend just a little bit more, apple sells the refurb 1.83 ghz core duo macbook for $799. still, i'm sure you could do better on craigslist or ebay. the advantage of craigslist is that you deal in person and could see the laptop before buying. good luck.

mkrishnan
Jun 24, 2007, 06:57 PM
I think the iBook G4 and PBG4 12"-ers are nicer than the Macbook in terms of form factor (and battery life), but unless you want either the weight/size reduction or the battery life increase specifically, I wouldn't get one at this point.

siurpeeman
Jun 24, 2007, 06:59 PM
I think the iBook G4 and PBG4 12"-ers are nicer than the Macbook in terms of form factor (and battery life), but unless you want either the weight/size reduction or the battery life increase specifically, I wouldn't get one at this point.

a used system might not necessarily have the good battery life of a new(er) one. an investment of a replacement battery may be necessary.

kusanagi
Jun 25, 2007, 07:31 AM
Whereas the iBook g4's are very nice and I still use mine (last gen 1.33ghz 12" 1.5gb ram, w/radeon 9550 so it can run Core Image) I would highly recomend you get the CD if you can. As said earlier, the power pc support is slowly withering away, and with the CD you'll get a bucketload more power. My ibook can just keep up with me, and now i only use it for adium, downloaidng, tunes and the occasional surfing.

It all really boils down to your budget though, but if you can, go for the core duo macbook.

Kevin83165
Jun 25, 2007, 08:06 AM
Macbooks are more powerful. I myself sold my Macbook on Ebay and got a 12" Powerbook that was like new for cheap since all I do is surf. I made money off the deal, enough to get a 30 gig iPod and still some left over.

So for power and future proof, the Macbook. Else, go the cheap route :)

EvryDayImShufln
Jun 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
i vote Powerbook g4. processor aside, everything else is better than the macbook. just get plenty of ram. but with the powerbook you get an awesome keyboard, better enclosure, and a graphics card. yes, apple is moving to intel, but your just gunna be doing websurfing and audio editing anyway, and a g4 will do ya fine.

go for the 12incher

Disregard this completely: there is more to it than just the processor. The ram speeds, the front side bus, pretty much everything is a hell of alot slower in the g4 than in the macbook. The macbook will blow any powerbook out of the water in everything except games.

Go with the macbook instead of the ibook.

masse
Jun 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
I have a 1.33 Ghz powerbook that I got for a very good price. I needed to put a new hard drive and add some ram. Total cost of the upgrade was 130 bucks.

1 gb ram and a 120 gb hard drive (previously 256mb and 60gb).

It works like a dream now.

masse
Jun 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
I have a 1.33 Ghz powerbook that I got for a very good price. I needed to put a new hard drive and add some ram. Total cost of the upgrade was 130 bucks.

1 gb ram and a 120 gb hard drive (previously 256mb and 60gb).

It works like a dream now. It runs photoshop fine and works great for my current needs.

littlenicky
Jun 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'm torn between the G4 line (12" ibook or PB) and a used Macbook. The intel mac's are speeding and all around great machines, but I'm old school and miss a powerpc in the house. It's sad I know.

If I could get my hands on a 12" ibook with 1.5gb's of ram I'd probably go that right now (and I don't have a lot of cash to spend).

dewey decibel
Jun 25, 2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the responses.

It's a hard descision as it's really easy to slide up a notch- "well, I could spend $100 more and get a powerbook instead of an ibook, then $100 more for a macbook, then $100 more for a macbook w/superdrive," etc. I mean the low end current MacBook is pretty killer for $1100. And like I said I can't even really afford the intial $500, but I need to get started with this so I'm making it a priority.

One thing I've noticed is that ram for iBooks and PowerBooks is more expensive than it is for Macbooks. And it seems a lot easier to install on the Macbook.

if you're nervous about buying used and if you're willing to spend just a little bit more, apple sells the refurb 1.83 ghz core duo macbook for $799.

I've heard that, but everytime I look on their site they don't have any, if they have any Macbooks at all.

I've been looking at Craigslist like a hawk, but every decent deal I've found has either been a scam or was sold before I got to it. Right now I'm going to look for all three- if I can find an iBook/PowerBook with enough ram for around $500 I'll snag it- otherwise I think I'll make the $700-800 jump to a Macbook.

mikesjo
Jun 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
If you're using graphics programs, get the intel machine. I sold my iBook b/c I use a lot of the adobe stuff, big diffrerence w/ the mbp now but I lose the portability of the 12" iBook I had. It had a gig of ram which was good for everything 'cept graphics, sorta slow. Great for school though!