Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewheard

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've got an old G4 Mac mini that I don't use anymore and I need a backup solution for my MacBook. Would it be possible to have the Mac mini always enter target disk mode so that I could use it like an external hard drive?

I wrote a shell script that makes a compressed disk image out of my school projects folder and I could just automatically copy that to the external each day so I'd have a backup and would be able to go back a day or week if I made a booboo. I'd also need an incremental backup solution for things like my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks for your time,

Andrew

andrewheard

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I don't know whether that was a joke or not but it would actually work pretty well. I'd still prefer not to have a keyboard/mouse hooked up though.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
i know a perfect solution! sell me your mini for 200 bucks. then take that 200 bucks and buy a 500GB lacie porche external harddrive!

win-win :cool:

andrewheard

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the offer but I don't really want to get rid of the mini yet. If I were to get an external drive it would have to be 2.5-inch because I just can't stand the noise of a desktop drive. Why are lots of enclosures louder than the mini?!

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I suppose I could just reset the NVRAM to stop the target disk mode or is it a next boot only thing?

On the condition that works you would have to reset the NVRAM to go it to reboot normally. But if you want it to run as a hard-drive that would be your best bet i think.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Why bother with Target Disk Mode?

You could always use SharePoints to share the entire drive of the mini and connect to is as needed using Finder (or automate it with a simple Applescript). Sure, you won't get FW400 speeds, but it allows you to access it throughout your house (assuming you have a wireless network).

You may also want to consider rsync + cron to keep your iPhoto and iTunes libraries backed up, or wait for Time Machine in Leopard.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
"I've got an old G4 Mac mini"

Old?? These things only came out in 2005.

Plus I've only just bought a G4 Mac Mini, myself.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You could just leave it running, couldn't you? The HDD will sleep when not in use. I'm just not sure if Target mode works well with lots of hotswapping.

andrewheard

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You could always use SharePoints to share the entire drive of the mini and connect to is as needed using Finder (or automate it with a simple Applescript). Sure, you won't get FW400 speeds, but it allows you to access it throughout your house (assuming you have a wireless network).

I think I'm going to go this route. It is going in a dorm room and I won't be having a wireless network but I can directly connect it with firewire to get high speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.