PDA

View Full Version : x2 DVD burning on next PowerBook revision?


macphoria
Jul 10, 2003, 07:16 PM
Do you think next PowerBook update will bring us x2 DVD burning instead of current x1?

I read that current DVD-R/RW drive in PowerBook is already capable of x2 burning, but Apple lowered the setting in order to make it slower than Power Mac's x2. Now that Power Mac is up to x4, perhaps PowerBooks will go up to x2 DVD burning?

utilizer
Jul 10, 2003, 10:21 PM
Let's hope so.
If not, the external DVD drives are relatively cheap now so getting a 4x wouldn't be a bad alternative at all. Honestly, how many of you actually burn DVDs while "truly mobile" anyways?!
In addition, I doubt that anyone would continue to use a G4 for heavy duty DVD production or backups to DVD-Rs for that matter.

LimeLite
Jul 10, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by macphoria
Do you think next PowerBook update will bring us x2 DVD burning instead of current x1?

I read that current DVD-R/RW drive in PowerBook is already capable of x2 burning, but Apple lowered the setting in order to make it slower than Power Mac's x2. Now that Power Mac is up to x4, perhaps PowerBooks will go up to x2 DVD burning?
I was under the impression that the reason it was kept as 1x was due to a heat problem. Burning at 2x caused too much heat. I don't think that they did it just to make it slower than the PowerMacs. The PowerMacs have actually had 4x for a while now, as do the iMacs, if I'm not mistaken.

mactastic
Jul 10, 2003, 11:23 PM
2x would be great. I decided not to even bother putting a dvd burner in my tibook until they got faster than 1x.

NNO-Stephen
Jul 11, 2003, 02:38 AM
I dont know why you would want a superdrive in a laptop at this point... your battery would die in the middle of it if you are burning any kind of lengthy DVD that you just made... Combo Drive is perfect for notebooks and that's all that really is needed. has some decent speed (24x write) and plays DVD movies. :)

I dont really see them putting a 2x DVD-R drive in the next PB revision though as heat is already an issue... unless they have the 7457 Processor....

LimeLite
Jul 11, 2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
I dont know why you would want a superdrive in a laptop at this point... your battery would die in the middle of it if you are burning any kind of lengthy DVD that you just made... Combo Drive is perfect for notebooks and that's all that really is needed. has some decent speed (24x write) and plays DVD movies. :)

I'd say because a lot of people don't have enough money to buy a laptop and a desktop. so for people who can only afford one computer, and want a laptop, being able to have an internal superdrive is a nice option.

CrackedButter
Jul 11, 2003, 05:53 AM
I for one would prefer my next laptop to hold everything and do everything for me, including the burning of DVD's.

alia
Jul 11, 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by LimeLite
I'd say because a lot of people don't have enough money to buy a laptop and a desktop. so for people who can only afford one computer, and want a laptop, being able to have an internal superdrive is a nice option.


I agree. I plan on getting a powerbook when the next revision comes out and I know I won't be able to afford a desktop for a few years at least.

Alia

MacManDan
Jul 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
I dont know why you would want a superdrive in a laptop at this point... your battery would die in the middle of it if you are burning any kind of lengthy DVD that you just made... Combo Drive is perfect for notebooks and that's all that really is needed. has some decent speed (24x write) and plays DVD movies. :)


I have to disagree. I have a PowerBook, but I cannot afford and do not want a desktop for space reasons. I go to college .. think small dorm room. I would much rather have a speedy DVD burner in my PowerBook then a slow-pokey one, or even a fast CD burner in place of a SuperDrive. I had to back up my files on CDs recently (couldn't afford a firewire hard drive), and it took 32 CDs! It would have taken only 6 or 7 DVDs to do the same task. It doesn't matter to me if the battery would die in the middle of writing a DVD. I would just wait to plug it in to the wall (I do the same with writing CDs anyway). Some people's laptops serve as their only computer, and it seems logical that it should have the fastest technology that it can hold. :)