Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardercore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I have just finished installing XP successfully onto a partition of my internal MBP drive. However, There is an issue with Mac OS X now that I have done so -- Disk Utility now hangs, does not respond, and slows the entire computer down whenever I try to repair permissions on my Mac partition. I have not successfully repaired permissions since installing XP and even though a small issue, I would prefer to avoid not being able to repair permissions as it is a vital maintenance task for any Mac computer.

Has anyone had any experience like this? I'm concerned it has something to do with my choosing NTFS (Full format) rather than NTFS (quick format) during the XP installation.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

F

freakonguitar

NFTS quick or full should not have an impact on that at all. You could try clicking on verify disk instead and see if its a disk issue. ie: i have had it where the disk heads needed a reset and i had to repair disk by booting up off my mac os x dvd and then using disk utility. but you won't be able to repair permissions on the nfts formatted drive as you might have figured out. i don't know if that helps at all.

hardercore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
NFTS quick or full should not have an impact on that at all. You could try clicking on verify disk instead and see if its a disk issue. ie: i have had it where the disk heads needed a reset and i had to repair disk by booting up off my mac os x dvd and then using disk utility. but you won't be able to repair permissions on the nfts formatted drive as you might have figured out. i don't know if that helps at all.

Thanks heaps for your help! Turns out it was simple: all I had to do was Verify & Repair the disk first (by booting from DVD) and then I could repair permissions all fine once again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.