PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: DC Area

AirmanPika
Jun 23, 2007, 08:59 PM
Well since we have 3 Apple Stores and god knows how many AT&T Corporate Stores where will you DC people be hanging out and when do you plan to go?

I'm thinking either the Pentagon City Apple Store or the AT&T Store near my place in Alexandria. Not exactly sure when I wanna try to get in line though. I'm hoping that our dearth of stores will help spread things out a bit so I won't have to go TOO early.

mustang_dvs
Jun 23, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well since we have 3 Apple Stores and god knows how many AT&T Corporate Stores where will you DC people be hanging out and when do you plan to go?

I'm thinking either the Pentagon City Apple Store or the AT&T Store near my place in Alexandria. Not exactly sure when I wanna try to get in line though. I'm hoping that our dearth of stores will help spread things out a bit so I won't have to go TOO early.

You keep using that word (dearth). I do not think it means what you think.

Also, I'd check to see if Mall Security at Fashion Centre has any objections to people standing on line inside the mall, and if there's a time they consider too early. Worst case, go to Falls Church, since it's an outdoor store.

judas731
Jun 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'll be at the Potomac Mill's at&t store. I thought about the Apple stores but I think there are a lot of at&t stores around here so hopefully they wont run low.

quidire
Jun 24, 2007, 12:15 AM
Bethesda Row for me; no reason to drive all the way to Virginia for this (not to mention; Pentagon City and Tysons will be the obvious places for random suburbanites to go. Bethesda has a fun downtown, worthwhile restaurants for after the phones are bought (in sharp contrast to those awful ones they put into Tysons, much less the slim pickings in Pentagon City) and is Metro accessible to boot (again, in contrast to Tysons).

Still, good luck :)

-RS

PS we have many more than three Apple Stores:
Bethesda Row
Montgomery Mall
Tysons Corner
Clarendon
Pentagon City
Annapolis

Even if you're somewhat dubious about Annapolis (it's only about 30 min from the center of the city), the other five are... more than three...

taberrr
Jun 24, 2007, 12:19 AM
Bethesda Row for me; no reason to drive all the way to Virginia for this (not to mention; Pentagon City and Tysons will be the obvious places for random suburbanites to go. Bethesda has a fun downtown, worthwhile restaurants for after the phones are bought (in sharp contrast to those awful ones they put into Tysons, much less the slim pickings in Pentagon City) and is Metro accessible to boot (again, in contrast to Tysons).

Still, good luck :)

-RS

PS we have many more than three Apple Stores:
Bethesda Row
Montgomery Mall
Tysons Corner
Clarendon
Pentagon City
Annapolis

Even if you're somewhat dubious about Annapolis (it's only about 30 min from the center of the city), the other five are... more than three...

How do you think the crowd size in Bethesda will compare to Silver Spring? I'd think there would be more rich tech-types going to Bethesda. :) Are there a bunch of Cingular/ATT stores in downtown Silver Spring too?

eddietr
Jun 24, 2007, 12:36 AM
I've been trying to figure this out, too. Something tells me Tysons will be the most crowded, based on just the normal traffic they seem to get every time I'm there.

But, when I was trying to get an MBP the first week and once before when I was trying to find something else I can't remember right now, it seemed that Tysons just had better inventory than the other Apple stores around here. Have you guys had that feeling?

My big fear is still that they will run out of 8Gb models and I'll have to decide between a 4Gb or waiting a few days. If so, I'll probably wait.

If all the stores are getting the same number of units and the same split between 4 and 8, then I might try Clarendon. The AT&T store down the street is pretty clueless in general, and having waited for this phone for at least 10 years now, there would be something satisfying about buying it at the Apple store.

Plus it's bad enough having to cross over into that blue state 8 times a year to watch our football team play. I try to stay this side of the river, at least in the offseason. :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 24, 2007, 01:06 AM
I am not telling in order to have just a few less in line... LOL

AirmanPika
Jun 24, 2007, 02:12 AM
You keep using that word (dearth). I do not think it means what you think.

oh buh you're right. My brain must be broken again. Stupid cold.

But, when I was trying to get an MBP the first week and once before when I was trying to find something else I can't remember right now, it seemed that Tysons just had better inventory than the other Apple stores around here. Have you guys had that feeling?

Yea actually I agree. No one had the MacBook Pro the first day the CD2 ones came out except them. Too bad they never answered their phone and I didn't know till I personally went up there myself to check.

davechen
Jun 24, 2007, 06:16 AM
I'll be at the Bethesda Row store too, I think. It's either that or Montgomery Mall. They're both a couple miles away from me.

maveness
Jun 25, 2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Folks ~

just wondering where you think the best location will be, and when one might need to start queuing up.

Pentagon City? Clarendon? Tyson's?

I'd be happy to meet up with some MacRumors folks while we stand on line.

longofest
Jun 25, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'll be at Clarendon, although I'm sure it will be mobbed...

nbs2
Jun 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
If I end up lining up, it'll be in Columbia - either at the ATT store or the Apple. Haven't decided which.

The question is, am I still in the DC area or am I in the Baltimore area? Although Baltimore is just a suburb of DC, so I guess it's a moot point. ;)

DIABLO2345
Jun 25, 2007, 10:41 AM
I may end up going to Tyson's

blakespot
Jun 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
I will be at the Clarendon Apple Store early on the 29th. Taking the day off work.

There is an AT&T/Cingular store near my office in DC that will be selling the phone and surely it will have a much smaller line (and surely it will have far less iPhones in stock). If the line is completely out of control when I arrive in Clarendon, I will likely bypass and head into DC for the Cingular store.

Word from a mall-based Apple Store is that "they" (Apple? Mall security?) won't be allowing camping out or even a line until late in the day... This concerns me.

blakespot

diamond.g
Jun 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
I am not picking up a phone at launch, but I probably would go to Pentagon City mall. Camping there would be sure easy as there is a bench right outside the Apple store (or you can hide in the Sony style store, but you may need 2 ppl for that). The metro runs right to it so it could be on a list of places to go (along with Bethesda, and I think the metro goes to Tyson's as well).

rockstarjoe
Jun 25, 2007, 11:41 AM
I will be waiting a few weeks before I get one, I think, but I would recommend avoiding the Bethesda store. It is small to the point of being cramped. It will get ugly on Friday. I'd say go for the Montgomery Mall store. Just up the road a little bit, really.

AirmanPika
Jun 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
I wish the metro ran to tysons but alas it doesn't.

longofest
Jun 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
Tell you what... everyone ELSE go to Tysons. Blakespot and I will go to Clarendon. That will work out sweet! :D

diamond.g
Jun 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
I wish the metro ran to tysons but alas it doesn't.
Dang, your right, I jsut checked the metro map. I could have sworn it did. Are there talks about extending it to McLean?

Tell you what... everyone ELSE go to Tysons. Blakespot and I will go to Clarendon. That will work out sweet! :D
Hehe, Clarendon is only 5 stops from Pentagon City. To get to it wouldn't be hard. Shoot Bethesda is only 14 stops away. That is what 20 minutes?

longofest
Jun 25, 2007, 12:22 PM
Dang, your right, I jsut checked the metro map. I could have sworn it did. Are there talks about extending it to McLean?

Don't you listen to the radio? ;)

In all seriousness, they are planning to expand the metro out to Tysons, but it will be a while.

thegreatunknown
Jun 25, 2007, 12:26 PM

In all seriousness, they are planning to expand the metro out to Tysons, but it will be a while.

and clarendon to pentagon city requires switching lines which will at a minimum during rush hour take about 20-30 minutes, much longer during off rush hour times because you could hit those 15 minutes wait times.

diamond.g
Jun 25, 2007, 12:28 PM

I don't, my Antenna has been broken ever since I came back from Hawaii (stupid VA law and reflective tint don't get along).

and clarendon to pentagon city requires switching lines which will at a minimum during rush hour take about 20-30 minutes, much longer during off rush hour times because you could hit those 15 minutes wait times.

Potentially faster than driving or riding the bus.

Zadillo
Jun 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
If I go anywhere it will be Tysons.

blakespot
Jun 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
Eh, during rush hour you could get from Clarendon to Pentagon City (or vice versa) via metro in more like 15 mins. It'd be a crowded ride, of course.

It's either Clarendon Apple Store for me or that Cingular store near my office in DC. Both have Starbucks within sniffing distance. Of course, if lines end up being NOT allowed and it's more like hoard formation, it might be advisable to wear a pair of Depends undergarments so you don't loose your place in the mob with a bathroom run. :-\

blakespot

Zadillo
Jun 25, 2007, 12:33 PM
Btw, I'm almost positive I'm not going to buy one right away - I mainly want to finally get a chance to see and touch and use an iPhone in person though.

My current Treo 650 basically gets the job done, but it's pretty tough using the Treo's web browser and e-mail client (not to mention that mp3 playback and video playback are terrible experiences) knowing the iPhone is around now.

My AT&T contract does expire at the end of this month though, so who knows...:)

diamond.g
Jun 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
Btw, I'm almost positive I'm not going to buy one right away - I mainly want to finally get a chance to see and touch and use an iPhone in person though.

My current Treo 650 basically gets the job done, but it's pretty tough using the Treo's web browser and e-mail client (not to mention that mp3 playback and video playback are terrible experiences) knowing the iPhone is around now.

My AT&T contract does expire at the end of this month though, so who knows...:)

Lucky, My wife has accepted the fact that we will have iPhones, but I have to wait till sometime in august. And I still have to pay cancellation with Sprint on 2 lines :(. It is cool cause pretty much all of her family has AT&T so calls will be free (My family uses Altell). I am ready for a new phone cause I have been seeing too many high schoolers with the Treo (650 as well). That and the Treo confuses my wife (and we have had the phones since 2005).

PharmD
Jun 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
If I end up lining up, it'll be in Columbia - either at the ATT store or the Apple. Haven't decided which.

The question is, am I still in the DC area or am I in the Baltimore area? Although Baltimore is just a suburb of DC, so I guess it's a moot point. ;)

I was just at the Columbia Mall today and saw the nice big ATT store along with the Apple Store. That might be a good place. I'm not sure I'll be getting the phone this weekend since I work till 9 on Friday and 6 on Saturday so the first run may be out by then. We'll see.

BYU alum here too. Go Cougars!

averyash
Jun 25, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think I'm going to stake out an AT&T store in the vicinity of the White House starting in late morning after making an appearance at the office.

Taking a page out of the book of Jobs might not be the worst idea:

"Talking to Steve Jobs after his speech, I got a hot tip on how to be one of the first people to score a new iPhone when they go on sale in June. “Don’t go to an Apple store,” Jobs told me. “It will be a madhouse there. People will be lined up around the block, sleeping on the sidewalk to get one. Go to an AT&T/Cingular store. Most people don’t know that they will be selling them too.”

fractured
Jun 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm at the Clarendon store right now and their bathrooms are out of service. That will make it difficult to be here on Friday. Of course, Pentagon City is 10 minutes down Washington Blvd. That may be my answer.

Also, I heard today that at least one local ATT store is saying Apple won't have them, only ATT stores. What liars!

Zadillo
Jun 25, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm at the Clarendon store right now and their bathrooms are out of service. That will make it difficult to be here on Friday. Of course, Pentagon City is 10 minutes down Washington Blvd. That may be my answer.

Also, I heard today that at least one local ATT store is saying Apple won't have them, only ATT stores. What liars!

They will say ANYTHING to make a sale; I was in one a couple of weeks ago, looking at phones. I showed some interest in the Samsung A717, but told the salesguy I was thinking of waiting to see what the iPhone was like, and he told me "Oh, no, you want this, you don't want the iPhone". I was kind of surprised to have an AT&T salesman tell me not to get this, but in hindsight it's obvious he just wanted the immediate sale. I am sure if they had iPhones available at the time they would have been pushing it on me.

TonyRockyHorror
Jun 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
Lakeforest mall in Gaithersburg, for me. I've got to work that day, but I'm going to step out for a couple of hours around 4, and hope that there isn't a big line. It's kind of out there, so I think it should be ok, as far as getting one. If they're sold out, I'll just place my order and get it in the mail. That way, I cna unbox it my damned self. w00t.

strangelogic
Jun 25, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm heading to att store in Waldorf MD. Even if they get fewer units, there should be considerably fewer people in line. If I get there at 2 or 3 and things already look ugly I may re-consider. I think my backup is to order one from the :apple: store online as soon as they start taking orders via my current phone.

If the 'rumors' that the stores will have 100-250 each are true - even if the Waldorf store gets 50 I would think I can be that close to the front of the line.

They aren't hiring all this security and extending hours if they are only getting 10-20 per store. I think they are out to try to set a record, and you can't do that without the phones.

Have not seen anyone 'speculating' on the break-down of 4GB vs 8GB units.

azhagan
Jun 27, 2007, 08:57 AM
Lakeforest mall in Gaithersburg, for me. I've got to work that day, but I'm going to step out for a couple of hours around 4, and hope that there isn't a big line. It's kind of out there, so I think it should be ok, as far as getting one. If they're sold out, I'll just place my order and get it in the mail. That way, I cna unbox it my damned self. w00t.

Good man,

I will be heading to the AT&T store across 355 in the same place as Bed Bath and Beyond and Borders...

TonyRockyHorror
Jun 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Good man,

I will be heading to the AT&T store across 355 in the same place as Bed Bath and Beyond and Borders...

Hell, I might give that a try instead of the mall. I live in the complex across from the mall on Lost Knife, but I had no idea there was another store there where you're talking about. hmm. i wonder what the best bet is for getting one.

I should be around about 4 o'clock, i think. maybe i'll swing by both places and see who has a shorter line.

azhagan
Jun 27, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hell, I might give that a try instead of the mall. I live in the complex across from the mall on Lost Knife, but I had no idea there was another store there where you're talking about. hmm. i wonder what the best bet is for getting one.

I should be around about 4 o'clock, i think. maybe i'll swing by both places and see who has a shorter line.

Yeah the guy at the store across from Burlington gave me his card and told me to call him and ask him about people in line before I even head down there. The people at the store in the mall were not so accommodating. There is also one in Germantown near the Best Buy there.

EstorilM
Jun 27, 2007, 11:42 PM
I'd avoid Tysons at all costs. They're a great store with great employees (they swapped out my new C2D MBP in store a week after I got it with no questions asked when my mouse button started acting funky.. same no questions asked deal with the student discount. Inventory has been great too.

HOWEVER. Look at the neighboring cities - Great Falls (one of the richest cities in the country) McLean (likewise) etc.. it's going to be nothing but spoiled HS kids and parents trying to spoil their HS kids. That store is PACKED in the middle of the day during the work week, and even worse on a normal Friday. I think that entire upper level portion of the mall is simply going to be wall-to-wall people.

Then again, they said they'd supply stores based on iPod sales and concentration of iPod users in the surrounding areas/cities, so this store is probably going to have the largest stock of any neighboring Apple location.

Who knows, personally I'm going to a new corporate AT&T location I was told about, which hasn't been added to the list of locations on the websites yet. I doubt anyone will know about it - then again, this does me no good if they only get 20 phones anyways.

Epstein
Jun 28, 2007, 07:23 AM
anyone know how the silver spring store looks?

quidire
Jun 28, 2007, 02:58 PM

There isn't one; the closest stores to Silver Spring are Bethesda Row (just off 355/Wisconsin Ave) and Montgomery Mall (on Democracy Blvd, close to the beltway)

-RS

The first is more fun, the second is larger (and waiting outside in this heat would be more pleasant in the mall...)

washingtonydc
Jun 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm stuck downtown until 4:30 or so, so I may just hit up the AT&T stores down there around then. There are 5 stores carrying the iPhone within a square mile or so, so if one's too crowded, I can just move on to the next.

TonyRockyHorror
Jun 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
There isn't one; the closest stores to Silver Spring are Bethesda Row (just off 355/Wisconsin Ave) and Montgomery Mall (on Democracy Blvd, close to the beltway)

-RS

The first is more fun, the second is larger (and waiting outside in this heat would be more pleasant in the mall...)

i thought about going here for mine, but that mall is full of high-end stores and rich consumers, which means more people in line for the phone, which means longer lines and less of a chance of getting one, i think.

taberrr
Jun 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
i thought about going here for mine, but that mall is full of high-end stores and rich consumers, which means more people in line for the phone, which means longer lines and less of a chance of getting one, i think.

Nahh, the air conditioning and amount of phones they'll be getting shipped (probably a LOT) will make it worth going there.

eddietr
Jun 28, 2007, 03:48 PM

Yeah, that may cut both ways, though. Tysons is the closest for me, but I've been thinking the same thing that there will be just way too many high disposable income teenagers at that store. That store is ridiculously crowded on Fridays and Saturdays every weekend. I went in last Friday to get something and it was insane. Took me 30 minutes to even speak to someone.

But on the other hand, when they divide the inventory up, I'll bet stores like Tysons will end up with a LOT of phones. That's definitely been the case with other Apple products. Tysons seems to always have great inventory, and the higher end models (faster/bigger drives, more memory, etc., in stock)

Zadillo
Jun 28, 2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that may cut both ways, though. Tysons is the closest for me, but I've been thinking the same thing that there will be just way too many high disposable income teenagers at that store. That store is ridiculously crowded on Fridays and Saturdays every weekend. I went in last Friday to get something and it was insane. Took me 30 minutes to even speak to someone.

But on the other hand, when they divide the inventory up, I'll bet stores like Tysons will end up with a LOT of phones. That's definitely been the case with other Apple products. Tysons seems to always have great inventory, and the higher end models (faster/bigger drives, more memory, etc., in stock)

Yeah; I would bet that has something to do with Tysons still being like one of the flagship Apple Stores. Unless I'm mistaken, it actually was the first retail Apple Store (other than the original one on the Apple Campus I mean).

Clix Pix
Jun 29, 2007, 01:51 AM
Yeah; I would bet that has something to do with Tysons still being like one of the flagship Apple Stores. Unless I'm mistaken, it actually was the first retail Apple Store (other than the original one on the Apple Campus I mean).

Yes, Tysons was the first retail Apple store on the East Coast. I am not sure whether or not it is absolutely the first retail store, though -- maybe the Market Street Apple store in SF is that?

I'll probably go over to Tysons tomorrow just for giggles -- take a camera and have fun snapping photos of everybody in line! Oh, and yeah, maybe I will get in line myself if it doesn't look outrageously long....

blakespot
Jun 29, 2007, 05:30 AM
6:30am looks like 10 people @ Clarendon Apple Store btw.

I just walked past it into Starbucks as rush seems less right now. News crews on scene w/ cameras.

blakespot

blakespot
Jun 29, 2007, 06:28 AM
My Clarendon Apple Store gallery:

http://pix.blakespot.com/view/events/iphone_launch/

Having trouble upping images for some reason.

blakespot

blakespot
Jun 29, 2007, 06:40 AM
Line right now @ Clarendon:

http://pix.blakespot.com/download/10610-1/IMG_2665.JPG

blakespot

diamond.g
Jun 29, 2007, 07:14 AM
Are you setting up shop? I was thinking about leaving work to go down to Spotsylvania Mall, but today is my father-in-law's birthday so that may be a no-go for me. My wife takes birthdays very seriously.

I posted in another thread the hope to the truth of a million launch units. That should give pretty much everyone a pretty good chance of getting one (well everyone willing to pay 500/600 dollars).

Zadillo
Jun 29, 2007, 08:29 AM
Yes, Tysons was the first retail Apple store on the East Coast. I am not sure whether or not it is absolutely the first retail store, though -- maybe the Market Street Apple store in SF is that?

I'll probably go over to Tysons tomorrow just for giggles -- take a camera and have fun snapping photos of everybody in line! Oh, and yeah, maybe I will get in line myself if it doesn't look outrageously long....

Ahh, just checked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Store_(retail)

The first two Apple Stores opened on 19 May 2001 in Glendale, California and McLean, Virginia[1].

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology_2.html

1. Tysons Corner - McLean, VA - (May 19) - indoor mall, 8,000 square-feet, opened May 19th with 7,700 first-day visitors. Closed Oct. 13-Nov. 17, 2003 for floor change-out and column removal. [Apple press release]

I remember thinking it was pretty cool that we got something as big of a deal as one of Apple's first retail stores.

azhagan
Jun 29, 2007, 09:38 AM
Whats up guys...

I am sitting here at Montgomery mall inside next to the Apple store. About 30 people here, so a managable crowd. It should be a good day.

-Azhagan

azhagan
Jun 29, 2007, 09:47 AM
Whats up guys...

I am sitting here at Montgomery mall inside next to the Apple store. About 30 people here, so a managable crowd. It should be a good day.

-Azhagan

Clix Pix
Jun 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
Just got up....looks rainy and cloudy outside -- eeeek! I hope it doesn't start to rain on everybody sitting outdoors at Clarendon and other places! I'll stick to my original plan of Tyson's, then....

Pretty good, 30 people at Montgomery Mall so far! I'm wondering if anyone will check in with us from Tyson's.....

sstarch1
Jun 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
Im going to check out my location at lunch...hopefully, i think its a "secluded" spot as i have thought for quite a while.

Clix Pix
Jun 29, 2007, 11:51 AM
Anybody hanging out at Tysons? I am about to get organized, throw my MBP into its satchel and head on over there.....

longofest
Jun 29, 2007, 12:27 PM
Blake and I are chilling at the Apple Store in Clarendon. Media (including us) are here. Line isn't too bad actually. Has yet to wrap around the corner :)

Diode
Jun 29, 2007, 12:40 PM
Anyone know the status of tysons?

I think the apple store will be the best place to get one since they will have everyone armed with those nifty mobile registers. Should be a fairly quick checkout.

talk2dug
Jun 29, 2007, 01:25 PM
Whats up guys...

-Azhagan

How are the numbers now???

Thinking about going there....

rodericj
Jun 29, 2007, 01:36 PM

I know which one you are talking about. i'm heading there tonight at like 5 or so. If its a mad house, I'm out. Montgomery mall is my backup. then white flint. then gburg. See you there.

mboszko
Jun 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
I know which one you are talking about. i'm heading there tonight at like 5 or so. If its a mad house, I'm out. Montgomery mall is my backup. then white flint. then gburg. See you there.

I suppose there aren't a lot of people in line posting back to the boards, eh? My first choice is Silver Spring, maybe Greenbelt--- tho Greenbelt is dangerously close to UMD College Park.

I hear Gaithersburg has 29 people in line as of 3pm.

erova
Jun 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
outside of bethesda row in a light rain mooching off apple store network...prolly about 100 people in front of me right now...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 29, 2007, 02:31 PM
just made a quick run past bethesda row... i'd say around 30 people there now

hopefully i won't have much trouble going ~5 or so

jelloshotsrule
Jun 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
outside of bethesda row in a light rain mooching off apple store network...prolly about 100 people in front of me right now...

either a ton of people showed up between when i passed and when you arrived, or one of us is really bad at estimating. ;)

talk2dug
Jun 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
In line at the AT&T store off shadygrove. numbers are still low. No rain.

Hi to the guy two down form me browsing this site.

erova
Jun 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
yeah no kiddin. i'll put it this way, i'm underneath the bagel store and pirjo, and the line is now stretching past kinkos and aveda.

plus a lot of people are holding the line for other guys to show up mid-way through...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 29, 2007, 02:52 PM
yeah no kiddin. i'll put it this way, i'm underneath the bagel store and pirjo, and the line is now stretching past kinkos and aveda.

plus a lot of people are holding the line for other guys to show up mid-way through...

post if it gets to barnes and noble. hhahahah

talk2dug
Jun 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
I just uploaded pics form the ATT store at Shady Grove store.

Small group... Lots of iPhone talk...

talk2dug
Jun 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
Here are two more...

Thought a few people would like to be in them,,,,

jklps
Jun 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
Here are two more...

Thought a few people would like to be in them,,,,

So who is going to make the run to 5 Guys;)

blakespot
Jun 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
http://pix.blakespot.com/view/events/iphone_launch/

Still tracking Clarendon Apple Store.

blakespot

Darkroom
Jun 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
perhaps these images are misleading, but wow... those are some really lame line-ups which do NOT support all this iPhone hype at all...

i'm now worried for Apple... :(

blindzero
Jun 29, 2007, 06:46 PM
montgomery mall...

great crowd. i got there about 5 minutes to 6...there was maybe 200 people ahead of me? got to witness the launch where everyone did the countrdown and i was in and out and on road by 7pm. all in all a very comfortable experience. seemed like another 100-150 people behind me by the time I got out.

Clix Pix
Jun 29, 2007, 06:58 PM
Got to Tysons at a little before 2:00 -- the lines were split in various places in order to allow normal mall traffic flow. I was Number 100 and eventually there were about twenty more of us still within the building before they then started snaking the line outside the building along the edge of Bloomies and all the way down to Nordstrom.

The four hours went quickly -- I couldn't get online, no wireless connectivity where I was, but I noodled around on my MBP for a while and then talked to a friend on my soon-to-be-defunct cell phone before playing another round of Solitaire on the MBP and winning. There was a great sense of camaraderie and everybody chit-chatted and relaxed. At 6:00 the store opened and the lines started moving. They took in about 20-25 people at a time and as we went in, the Apple crew high-fived us and shouted greetings. FUN! The actual transaction was quick and smooth, and then I picked up a case for my new phone before finally actually getting a look at a real one..... COOL!

I shot photos throughout the day and in the Apple store itself, which I'll share later....

They were moving everyone through pretty efficiently and I could see the end of the line as I was preparing to leave the mall a little later. People could go over there now and walk right in, no wait, if they're eager for an iPhone.

Now I'm home and about to activate my new iPhone!

ac4lt
Jun 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
The Cingular/ATT store at North Point shopping center in Reston got 35. They didn't bother to actually tell us until they ran out. So no iphone for me today. And since they didn't have the decency to tell us when I do pick one up it won't be from that store.

When I asked the manager why he didn't inform us when he knew how many he had, his answer was that he didn't know how many people would pass the credit check. Sure, he can't control how many he gets but once he knew he could have informed us and let us make our own decisions instead of making us wait until he ran out to tell us.

Oh well. At least I only wasted two hours. So much for Jobs pushing people at AT&T stores.

bluemouse
Jun 29, 2007, 08:57 PM
Got mine at Tyson's. Posting with it now. Saw you there, Clixpix; recognized the MacRumors shirt. You probably got me in several shots. I was near the benches by the entrance to Bloomingdale's.
We left about half an hour ago. They still had plenty of phones and folks were still buying. Great crowd; check it out if you're still in need.

Zadillo
Jun 29, 2007, 10:03 PM
Just got home from Tysons...... as of 10 PM, there was still a huge crowd of people around the iPhone, and a number of other people looking at accessories.

I didn't buy one yet, although my brother did.

But just in the brief period of time I got to spend playing with one of the floor models; wow, is all I can say.

Honestly, the iPhone exceeded the hype for me. It's almost impossible to go back to using my Treo 650 now.

Also, I don't know what they are doing with Safari, but they have managed to make it get a LOT more out of EDGE than my Treo does.

I turned off WiFi on the floor model in order to test out EDGE..... loaded up cnn.com and some other fairly intensive sites. For comparison, cnn.com on my treo 650 takes a few minutes to load up, and frankly, it's almost impossible to navigate it well anyway with the Treo's web browser.

On the iPhone, the cnn.com homepage seemed to load MUCH quicker....... it seems like they are doing a good job of loading up text and displaying it, making it much easier to read while the image elements, etc. on a page load up. My Treo frankly chokes trying to handle all this.

My sole reservation I think had been that EDGE would be too slow for what the iPhone does; but whatever wizardry they're working, it paid off.

Frankly, it loaded up cnn.com quicker and was easier to navigate than any of the 3G phones I tried today at the AT&T store (Blackjack, Treo 750w and Cingular 8525).

And I did try a number of other random sites too, just to make sure it wasn't something simple like the cnn.com homepage being cached.........

Honestly, if all the iPhone was was a mobile web browser, it would be hands down worth it. It just completely blows away IE on Windows Mobile, and Palm's Blazer web browser is just a joke comparitively.

On the Windows Mobile side, even having 3G doesn't do you much good if navigating a full website in Mobile IE is practically impossible.

akpdc
Jun 29, 2007, 10:33 PM
Waited today at the Cingular/AT&T in downtown D.C. on F Street (thought there would be less demand there) from about 5:30 to 7:00, with a very slow moving line, until they ran out of stock. Went to Apple Store at Clarendon and was in and out of the store with a new iPhone in about 15 minutes. The AT&T people seemed clueless and overwhelmed. The Apple folks were very organized and looked like they were having a ball. I definitely recommend going to an Apple store rather than an AT&T store.

jangler
Jun 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
I went to the At&t store on Conn. near dupont around 7 where there seemed to be a line that wasn't moving, so I walked to the Farragut North At&t. Unfortunately, they had already sold out. After hopping on the metro I arrived at the Pentagon City apple store to find a very small line. I got inside the store in less than five minutes, they even gave me some smartwater. I must say that I wish they'd had two lines, one for the lookieloo's and another for buyers, because the employees started giving a schpeel about purchasing other products until they just asked the anxious line who just wanted the phone. The buyers put their hands up and were directed to the registers. It was speedy from there. The iphone tote bag was super cute, but I was kinda nervous about walking around with it so I flattened it and put the box in my tote. Now I'm just waiting for the at&t people to answer some questions tomorrow re: changing my number and I'm good to go. I can't wait to be all set up!:)

diamond.g
Jun 29, 2007, 11:05 PM
Sweet. I am taking the 1700 plung in about 7 hours. I will be driving to PCM, picking up the iPhones. Then driving to Spotsylvania Mall to get the freebie no-camera phones (with family plan).

Clix Pix
Jun 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
Got mine at Tyson's. Posting with it now. Saw you there, Clixpix; recognized the MacRumors shirt. You probably got me in several shots. I was near the benches by the entrance to Bloomingdale's.
We left about half an hour ago. They still had plenty of phones and folks were still buying. Great crowd; check it out if you're still in need.

Well, why didn't you say "HI, I'M FROM MR, TOO?" That is why I wore my MR shirt! LOL!

I'm still playing around with my new iPhone; did get to MR on it but wasn't ready to try posting with it! Isn't this a cool device? I am very happy with mine!

darwin022
Jun 30, 2007, 12:37 AM
Waited today at the Cingular/AT&T in downtown D.C. on F Street (thought there would be less demand there) from about 5:30 to 7:00, with a very slow moving line, until they ran out of stock. Went to Apple Store at Clarendon and was in and out of the store with a new iPhone in about 15 minutes. The AT&T people seemed clueless and overwhelmed. The Apple folks were very organized and looked like they were having a ball. I definitely recommend going to an Apple store rather than an AT&T store.

did the clarendon store seem to have plenty in stock? I'll head over in the morning for one if they do.

diamond.g
Jun 30, 2007, 05:32 AM
did the clarendon store seem to have plenty in stock? I'll head over in the morning for one if they do.

According to Apples Website all the DC area stores are supposed to have stock this morning.

cryptorphc
Jun 30, 2007, 08:43 AM
Well, why didn't you say "HI, I'M FROM MR, TOO?" That is why I wore my MR shirt! LOL!

I'm still playing around with my new iPhone; did get to MR on it but wasn't ready to try posting with it! Isn't this a cool device? I am very happy with mine!

i saw you there too. i think i was standing beside you for a split second, but didn't know you were on mr until i saw the back of your shirt, and thought OH SNAP, macrumors is here.

would love to see the pics.

*goes back to lurking

diamond.g
Jun 30, 2007, 09:02 AM
Well I went to Pentagon City Mall. There were like maybe 10 people there. The Apple store opened at 8 and we were all in and out in like 15 minutes. Now I am waiting on AT&T to open so I can get my free phones.

Clix Pix
Jun 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
I haven't processed the photos yet -- too busy playing with my new iPhone! I have to go to work this afternoon (well, guess I need to pay for my new toy somehow!) but this evening I'll get busy and upload the images to the computer and put them up for public consumption...

bluemouse
Jun 30, 2007, 09:46 AM

I thought about it, but I'm such a lurker that you wouldn't recognize the screenname, and I didn't want to be creepy "I know you from the Internet" dude. Some people would be uncomfortable with that. I'll definitely say hi at the launch of the iPhone2.0 or the iCouch or whatever is next. :) looking forward to seeing those pics!

Clix Pix
Jun 30, 2007, 09:57 AM
Great -- it's a deal! :) I wore the shirt on purpose so that if anyone from MR were hanging out in the line we could connect, and I would've been tickled had you said, "hi, I'm from MR!" but I understand your hesitation.

Betcha the next big thing from Apple will be a touchscreen ultraportable tablet! The "iTablet.... " See you then..... :)

BigHat
Jul 11, 2007, 03:25 PM
Can one go into an area store and buy one of these things? I see the P City and Clarendon show stock but I don't know if I need to be there a the crack of dawn or can I just go by the store and pick one up.

P*sses me off that the employees in the store won't even tell me wants happening. The "sorry, I caan't comment on phone selling trends" BS.

Clix Pix
Jul 11, 2007, 07:33 PM
Probably the thing to do before leaving the house or work would be to call whichever Apple store is closest to you and ask if they've got whichever iPhone (4 GB, 8 GB) you want in stock. They can tell you that, even if they wouldn't necessarily be able to say, "yes, we've got 25 of them!" If that particular Apple store is out, then try the next closest. Tysons is the largest (flagship) in the area, so you might want to check with them.....

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 11, 2007, 10:07 PM
Great -- it's a deal! :) I wore the shirt on purpose so that if anyone from MR were hanging out in the line we could connect, and I would've been tickled had you said, "hi, I'm from MR!" but I understand your hesitation.

My buying the iPhone on the morning of the 30th is the closest I ever came to buying bleeding edge tech. Heck, I am not even willing to stand in a long line for the latest and greatest movie any more - compared my HS buddies wrapping the the single screen theater (just what are those some may ask) several times to see Star Wars, the Towering Inferno, and The Poisiden (sp) Adventure.

I was surprised to walk in to Apple Tysons at like 10:30AM on the 30th and still find space around the iPhone display table to be able to play with the iPhone! By 11:30AM I out of the store, after two trips to the register - one for the iPhone for I feared they might run out of the 8gb model as I shopped the store. The second trip was to snag the Griffin leather holster for my new baby.

I just hope that the way things worked out here in the Tysons/Fairfax area with the iPhone release, that other companies take note. I heard of no one being trampled at the door, or muggings in the parking lot. And it was nice to show up the next day and be able to buy one, without a long line. :)

Clix Pix
Jul 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
For me, part of the whole experience of buying my iPhone was standing/sitting in line for a while on Launch Day....just because I could! It was fun hanging out with my fellow Apple/Mac aficionados and feeling a part of Something Big.... Before I left the house to do this, I guessed that I could have easily waited a day or a few days or a week....but I am glad that I didn't! When I view David Pogue's video "iPhone: the Musical" and see/hear the one guy singing, "I stood in line..." I smile in instant recognition.

Regardless of whether one stood in line or got the iPhone a day, two days or a week later, IMHO it is soooo worth it!! I love the thing!!!

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 11, 2007, 10:53 PM
For me, part of the whole experience of buying my iPhone was standing/sitting in line for a while on Launch Day....just because I could! It was fun hanging out with my fellow Apple/Mac aficionados and feeling a part of Something Big.... Before I left the house to do this, I guessed that I could have easily waited a day or a few days or a week....but I am glad that I didn't! When I view David Pogue's video "iPhone: the Musical" and see/hear the one guy singing, "I stood in line..." I smile in instant recognition.

Regardless of whether one stood in line or got the iPhone a day, two days or a week later, IMHO it is soooo worth it!! I love the thing!!!

I just wish I could have been a part of that. I was willing to stand in line maybe an hour. The truth be told I drove by the nearest AT&T store to me at about 6:15PM on the 29th - and I said NO WAY IN HELL! LOL

Maybe it is because I work in retail, or maybe I am getting older - but waiting in line holds little appeal for me. But in the future I will go out and visit you and others in line. :)

Clix Pix
Jul 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
It was just really fun hanging out leaning against the exterior wall at Bloomies -- across from the Old English Trading Co store --and chatting, playing with my MBP, people-watching, etc. I got there at around 1:45 PM and when the guy came around counting us, I was Number 100. The line eventually progressed on out the doors, along the outside exterior walls of Bloomies and on down to Nordstrom. I must say, I am glad I was able to wait indoors rather than outside on that cloudy, humid and warm day!