PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: New York, NY

bytethese
Jun 25, 2007, 10:44 AM
I'm personally going to hit an AT&T store downtown around 3-4pm on June 29th. I think trying to go to the 5th Ave or SoHo stores is going to be a zoo. Where are you guys heading to get the phone?

BwanaZulia
Jun 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm personally going to hit an AT&T store downtown around 3-4pm on June 29th. I think trying to go to the 5th Ave or SoHo stores is going to be a zoo. Where are you guys heading to get the phone?

I would tell you but I would have to kill you.

Seriously, I am going to stop by 3 in the morning and check in to see what kind of lines/units they are expecting.

I will probably pick one and call around 12/1/2pm to see how it is going and head out to be "close" after 2pm.

At that point, it is all wait.

BZ

ps49556n
Jun 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
I will stay away from 5th ave till I get my phone from an ATT store uptown. That is all I will divulge:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

Uptown710
Jun 25, 2007, 10:52 AM
I agree...my spot is a secret...lol. But yea, i think if you want to go to the apple store, you'd better get there the night before.

mikeinternet
Jun 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
i would think about hopping over to jersey.

i'm only going to ny if the jersey malls can't handle everything between 6 and 9:30 when they close.

ps49556n
Jun 25, 2007, 10:59 AM
i would think about hopping over to jersey.

i'm only going to ny if the jersey malls can't handle everything between 6 and 9:30 when they close.

I thought about that too but Jersey stores will be just as crowded and just the fact that you have to drive and there could be traffic/accident...too many variables.

smarquet
Jun 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
Using Apple Gift Cards (saved up ove last 2 years) so ATT store is out. May get out of dodge to a different Apple Store out of NYC. But then the crazyness may just be fun. If I stay in NYC I'll Prob Jump in line around Noon.

JMax1
Jun 25, 2007, 11:32 AM
Seriously considering White Plains apple store

TheSlush
Jun 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
It is worth noting that according to the MacPolls poll (http://www.macpolls.com), people will be lining up in three primary "waves":

1.) The night before (those taking Friday off)
2.) Noon Friday (those taking a half-day off)
3.) 4-6pm Friday (those unable to get out of work)

But there is talk now that store security will not allow people to camp overnight.

ps49556n
Jun 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
It is worth noting that according to the MacPolls poll (http://www.macpolls.com), people will be lining up in three primary "waves":

1.) The night before (those taking Friday off)
2.) Noon Friday (those taking a half-day off)
3.) 4-6pm Friday (those unable to get out of work)

But there is talk now that store security will not allow people to camp overnight.

Is that for Apple stores???? I have no doubt that apple stores will have a larger scene than ATT stores.

mikeinternet
Jun 25, 2007, 12:26 PM
I thought about that too but Jersey stores will be just as crowded and just the fact that you have to drive and there could be traffic/accident...too many variables.

i think it'll be crowded everywhere but i think the city will be much worse.

.although if you have to drive and can't use the path or bus i'd have to agree staying in manhattan would probably be better.

mikeinternet
Jun 25, 2007, 12:29 PM
is the going idea that it will sell out?

it might be better to just wait til 3am that night and get it on 5th.

TheSlush
Jun 25, 2007, 01:07 PM
Is that for Apple stores???? I have no doubt that apple stores will have a larger scene than ATT stores.

The poll data presumably is for both Apple and AT&T stores. The rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/25/iphone-pre-launch-hype-continues/) about not letting people camp or form lines apparently pertains to Apple Stores only.

ps49556n
Jun 25, 2007, 01:13 PM
is the going idea that it will sell out?

it might be better to just wait til 3am that night and get it on 5th.

yea that is what i am thinking. I would be amazed if they had any left at 8-9 PM given that the process is fast. People keep on saying the cost is too much but they dont realize the demographics in NYC....much different from 90% of the country...I think we will be surprised how difficult it will be to obtain the gadgets especially in the city.

Zanevalon
Jun 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'm probably going to goto the AT&T store near my house in the bronx. im hoping since i live in a small community demand wont be that high or anythign and i'll be able to snag me one ;)

loudestnoise
Jun 25, 2007, 01:55 PM
Using Apple Gift Cards (saved up ove last 2 years) so ATT store is out. May get out of dodge to a different Apple Store out of NYC. But then the crazyness may just be fun. If I stay in NYC I'll Prob Jump in line around Noon.

Hopefully you aren't using more than 4 gift cards like this girl (http://consumerist.com/consumer/apple/apple-wont-sell-you-a-computer-because-youve-got-too-many-gift-cards-240959.php), although I think that was over the phone, but she did get her computer eventually (http://consumerist.com/consumer/gift-cards/update-apple-will-sell-you-a-computer-if-youve-got-too-many-gift-cards-242734.php).

eskimayo
Jun 25, 2007, 02:21 PM
any one going to the 5th ave store thur night? im trying to figure out how i can manage the 24 hours.... holding my spot and all... seeing if any one want to pair up it will sure make life easier than brining along a bottle... 4 days and counting...

Troyte83
Jun 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
anybody from Albany NY hitting the lines?

smarquet
Jun 25, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hopefully you aren't using more than 4 gift cards like this girl (http://consumerist.com/consumer/apple/apple-wont-sell-you-a-computer-because-youve-got-too-many-gift-cards-240959.php), although I think that was over the phone, but she did get her computer eventually (http://consumerist.com/consumer/gift-cards/update-apple-will-sell-you-a-computer-if-youve-got-too-many-gift-cards-242734.php).

Thanks for the Heads Up! I better go ahead of time and merge my cards.

-------------------------
Per Apple Website: http://www.apple.com/go/giftcards/faqs.html

"Can I merge multiple Apple Gift Cards into a single Apple Gift Card?
Yes, you can do this at a retail Apple Store.
-------------------------"

christarry
Jun 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm going to go to Brooklyn, not sure which store yet, there are about 4 Brooklyn company owned AT&T stores... Anyone else thinking Brooklyn? I did a small check in at a store today in Williamsburg and the guy there said that he's been getting a lot of calls from people in Manhattan who are coming out to Brooklyn in hopes of beating the lines.. He seemed to think the the non Manhattan stores might actually be busier due to this. Any thoughts?

Uptown710
Jun 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
I work close to the AT&T store on 7th btw 42nd and 43rd, and since i get off of work at 9am, im bounce btw there and some other locations until about 1pm

kidwithdimples
Jun 25, 2007, 06:49 PM
Damn. Look at all these rich people.. ready to spend couple of hundreds for just a phone :P

RichP
Jun 25, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm going to go to Brooklyn, not sure which store yet, there are about 4 Brooklyn company owned AT&T stores... Anyone else thinking Brooklyn? I did a small check in at a store today in Williamsburg and the guy there said that he's been getting a lot of calls from people in Manhattan who are coming out to Brooklyn in hopes of beating the lines.. He seemed to think the the non Manhattan stores might actually be busier due to this. Any thoughts?

Interesting; I live right by the ATT on Cad. West. Il have to keep an eye on it.

mashoutposse
Jun 25, 2007, 07:10 PM
I'm gonna hit up 5th Ave at 5pm. Yes, I'm crazy :) Really, I just want to catch the scene and don't mind if I come up empty there (although I expect Apple to really flood the store with units considering the expected turnout).

ogun7
Jun 25, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'm gonna hit up 5th Ave at 5pm. Yes, I'm crazy :) Really, I just want to catch the scene and don't mind if I come up empty there (although I expect Apple to really flood the store with units considering the expected turnout).

I actually think this is a good idea! I'm unsure of what I should do. I'm off Thursday & Friday. I live in Jersey City, so it's easy to get to either Apple Store in NYC. My little sister thinks I should drive to Hudson Mall and camp out early that day in front of the corporate-owned AT&T store. What are all of your suggestions? I think Harlem is going to be crowded. I think there might be enough iPhones at the Apple stores.

mashoutposse
Jun 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
I actually think this is a good idea! I'm unsure of what I should do. I'm off Thursday & Friday. I live in Jersey City, so it's easy to get to either Apple Store in NYC. My little sister thinks I should drive to Hudson Mall and camp out early that day in front of the corporate-owned AT&T store. What are all of your suggestions? I think Harlem is going to be crowded. I think there might be enough iPhones at the Apple stores.

I'm thinking it's going to be a real lively experience and I intend to have fun with it even if I don't get one there :)

Karpfish
Jun 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
Seriously considering White Plains apple store

go for it, my home store. THe employees know ****, but it doesn't matter if you get your phone

Freakk123
Jun 25, 2007, 08:12 PM
Well, I live in Riverdale in the Bronx, and right now I'm feeling the Apple Store at the Westchester mall, but maybe I'll do an AT&T store. What's this about the apple store not allowing lines? If that's the case then I'll almost certainly do the AT&T store so I can sit and watch stuff.

apachie2k
Jun 26, 2007, 07:24 AM
go for it, my home store. THe employees know ****, but it doesn't matter if you get your phone

i always thought the people that worked were far less better than the ones that worked at the stamford mall, but i might not get it as i am traveling on the morning of the 30th, so if anything screws up i'm without a phone! i'll get it when i come back!

Weezy
Jun 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
i will b headin out to my local at&t store instead of the apple stores...
ill go there at 7:00 in the morning, i hope theres no lines:rolleyes:

nyctravis
Jun 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
but to wait until i can get out school at 3:00 or so and rush as fast as i can to get the apple store SOHO. what do you think my chances of getting a phone are if i don't make it until 3:30 or so?

~~crossing my fingers~~

quentinr
Jun 27, 2007, 09:35 AM
Any Long Islanders lining up? I see there is no thread for those who are going to the L.I. stores. I assume much of the tri-state iPhone waiters are in this thread. I seem to have only 3 options in my immediate area of Suffolk Co. The two corp ATT stores in Lake Grove (Smith Haven) and the Apple Store. I haven't gotten word on how early am I allowed to show up, but I hope to get word of that soon. Since the ATT and Apple Store are indoors, I assume mall security wouldn't allow us to camp out overnight, so I bet there will be a line outside the entrance the closest to the Apple store.

Weezy
Jun 27, 2007, 05:34 PM
Instead of att and all of their purchasing loopholes, im heading out to the fifth avenue apple store early friday morning, im taking a couple of sandwiches, waters, a nintendo ds and my ipod crack full of tv shows!:D

manhattanboy
Jun 27, 2007, 10:04 PM
my spot is a secret...lol.
I don't know where my spot is...but my girlfriend's is about 2 inches up :cool:

MBHockey
Jun 28, 2007, 05:26 AM
Anyone heading over to the Palisades mall?

fBaran
Jun 28, 2007, 09:35 AM
I live by LIC but I'd rather go to the Apple Store at Roosevelt Field Mall; something about Long Islanders scream non-tech...

ISMPlus
Jun 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
Well... I won't be getting the iPhone just yet... I want to wait for my contract to be over with Sprint... I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to buy (late 2007) Tekserve would be selling iPhones somehow... that way I can use my gift card!! :p

Jblack4083
Jun 28, 2007, 10:31 AM
Is it worth it to head over to Soho later tonight or even 3 AM or 4AM tomorrow morning? Will i be able to pick one or two up? Or should i head to my local AT&T. Theres one in valley Stream I can go to.

motulist
Jun 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
So you guys are like the star wars fans that camp out to be one of the first to watch the next episode, except for Apple stuff. I bet it'll be a lot of fun geeking out with fellow Apple geeksters. If my life were just slightly different I could definitely see how I might be right there in line with you. So enjoy yourself and have fun!

Geek power! :)

pilotError
Jun 28, 2007, 01:50 PM
I live by LIC but I'd rather go to the Apple Store at Roosevelt Field Mall; something about Long Islanders scream non-tech...

LOL

There's never been a time where I've been in that store that it wasn't crowded. Even a 8:30 on a Tuesday night.

I have an AT&T store about 200ft from where I work. I'll wait for the Frenzy and the feedback of the weekend to decide whether to jump or wait for the Gen 2 device.

oogje
Jun 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
We're doing a meetup at the SoHo store. Come on down at 4am.

brian

mikeymoves
Jun 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
We're doing a meetup at the SoHo store. Come on down at 4am.

brian

Hey,

I am going to periodically checking out the line through the course of the night. I will post pics if I can.

pilotError
Jun 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
I can't believe the Frenzy, I hope it doesn't peter out, it would be embarassing given all the hype.

Jblack4083
Jun 28, 2007, 11:01 PM
I'll be at 5th ave in a few hours. Should arrive at about 3 or 4

feif
Jun 29, 2007, 01:07 AM
i plan on getting to the smith haven store (long island) around 9am. anyone else going there?

robMaurizi
Jun 29, 2007, 07:13 AM
As of about 7:45 AM, iDay, there were 2 or 3 people out in front of the AT&T store on 34th St. at 7th Ave. (across from LIRR entrance to Penn Station). Stanchions were in place as directed by the memo from AT&T Corporate.

caccamolle
Jun 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
is the purchase going to be in and out (once you get there !), considering that everything else will be done through iTunes ?

badtz
Jun 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
1 minute until 6pm local time in EST! :)

ckinyc
Jun 29, 2007, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know how long is the line now at the SoHo store? and what time do they close today?? thx CK

mashoutposse
Jun 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
The 5th Ave store plan worked like a charm :D Only I arrived at 7:30, not 5 like I originally planned :eek: Still, it only took right around 30 minutes to go from back of the line to holding my very own 8GB iPhone. Now to open the friggin' box... :apple:

pilotError
Jun 29, 2007, 08:35 PM
Kudos to Apple for a smooth transaction.

I figured I would go out and witness the insanity.

I ended up going to the Roosevelt Field store here on Long Island.

I walked in about 8:55PM and walked out at 9:05PM with 2 iPhones and some accessories.

There had to be no less than 35 sales folks out on the floor and in front of the store giving anyone who walked by a chance to play with it.

It was pretty cool to see all the gawkers and a bunch of new iPhone owners wandering around.

They really did a fantastic job. No waiting and Super fast service. You guys deserve a new iPhone for all the effort you put in to making this another easy purchase.

Hope everyone had a similar experience.

netdoc66
Jun 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hearing that NY had phones to spare at 7:30 makes my blood boil. I thought I'd be crafty and go to the ATT store in Pavonia Newport NJ. I'm number 44 on the line at 4pm so I think, "Yeah I'm good." Dammit why did they run out of 8 gig phones at number 30 and 4 gig phones at number 40?!?!? Dammit! They came out and counted and counted then the last minute they said we're all out of phones. When I ask why didn't you say you didn't have enough phones they said, "Apple told us not to tell people how many we had." If they would have said we have enough phones for 40 people early on I could have hightailed it out of there and went to soho or 5th ave. No they couldn't tell us so I ordered the thing at the store next day delivery which I'm sure they'll screw that up. I might go over to soho early in the morning and buy one there and cancel my order if they got any left over. Probably not:apple:

DavisNYC
Jun 29, 2007, 09:43 PM
Waited for about 2 hours in line at the AT&T store on 24th street and B'way just to find out that they ran out of phones (and only had 30 or so of the in first place). So I jetted uptown to 5th Ave Apple store, and within 10 minutes was outside the cube with my iPhone in hand!

Talk about efficiency! Apple was seamless.... I'm just worried about being in contract with a company like AT&T for 2 years.... Welll The price of a status symbol...

And my phone is STILL not activating!

appleii2mac
Jun 30, 2007, 01:10 AM
Just an FYI. The 5th Ave. store still had a bunch of stock around midnight.

caccamolle
Jul 1, 2007, 08:35 AM
any clues as to whether the 5th ave store has any phones left ?

ecks618
Jul 1, 2007, 05:55 PM
Got one from the apple store in staten island by accident. I thought I was never gonna get one but thought I would stop by when I was passing around 5:15. It was about an hour or so till I got two in my hands. When I went back at 9:30 to get a case they had about 30 or so left. I guess its both a good thing and a bad thing that they didn't say how many there were gonna be in each store.

PS. This post was made on my iphone :-)

torid110
Jul 2, 2007, 10:46 AM
Being open 24hours is great!. I walked into the apple store at 3am on sunday morning and walked out with my new iphone in 5 minutes :D

ecks618
Jul 11, 2007, 10:37 PM
Staten Island store had iphones today when I stopped by around 9pm. I saw someone buying an 8 GB and saw about 4 iphone bags standing up behind registers (like at release day).