PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Jackson, MS

toxicbomber
Jun 25, 2007, 12:03 PM
Anyone buying a iPhone there? I'll be there friday. Besides I just want to know if there are ANY Mississippians on this forum besides me.:p

retnuh730
Jun 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
aye, though I'm from Bay St. Louis and I'm heading to Slidell, LA to get mine.

egiles
Jun 25, 2007, 12:35 PM
I am in Waynesboro and I want to pull the trigger on one-but I honestly don't think AT&T's coverage can hold a candle to Cellular South in my area. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay $500-600 on a phone that I may only be able to use 60-70% of the time.

But that being said-I have a couple of friends in Ocean Springs that are going to one of the AT&T stores that afternoon, and I may just take off work on Friday and join them there. Heck, even my 75 year old mother has seen the TV ads and is all excited about it! I told her today I might be looking at getting one, and she hinted that if I waited for another six months until xmas she would pick me up one as a gift...I told her I am not too sure if I can wait that long. :D

retnuh730
Jun 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
I am in Waynesboro and I want to pull the trigger on one-but I honestly don't think AT&T's coverage can hold a candle to Cellular South in my area. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay $500-600 on a phone that I may only be able to use 60-70% of the time.

But that being said-I have a couple of friends in Ocean Springs that are going to one of the AT&T stores that afternoon, and I may just take off work on Friday and join them there. Heck, even my 75 year old mother has seen the TV ads and is all excited about it! I told her today I might be looking at getting one, and she hinted that if I waited for another six months until xmas she would pick me up one as a gift...I told her I am not too sure if I can wait that long. :D
Yeah, i might head over that way too.

Littleodie914
Jun 25, 2007, 03:06 PM
Gah!

Mods: Not all states that start with the letters "Mi" are abbreviated MI.

Michigan - MI
Missouri - MO
Mississippi - MS
Minnesota - MN

dernhelm
Jun 25, 2007, 04:06 PM
Gah!

Mods: Not all states that start with the letters "Mi" are abbreviated MI.

Michigan - MI
Missouri - MO
Mississippi - MS
Minnesota - MN

Thanks for noting this. I was pretty amazed there for a moment....

iSaint
Jun 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
Columbus MS here. I'm going to the local AT&T store Friday evening. According to the salespeeps there, they don't expect a crowd.

OP can we perhaps change the title to iPhone purchasers in Mississippi, since there's so few of us?

retnuh730
Jun 27, 2007, 12:10 PM
Columbus MS here. I'm going to the local AT&T store Friday evening. According to the salespeeps there, they don't expect a crowd.

OP can we perhaps change the title to iPhone purchasers in Mississippi, since there's so few of us?

Yeah, there's 4 of us here, and 2 more in the Louisana thread. We should combine those.

chopperglide
Jun 27, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hattiesburg here. wondering if there are others in and around the hub city. gonna be in line with a few friends for sure.

retnuh730
Jun 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hattiesburg here. wondering if there are others in and around the hub city. gonna be in line with a few friends for sure.

Bay Saint Louis is like, what, 50 miles from ther?

jchowell
Jun 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
I will probably head to the local store on Thursday night. Just for the fun, I have not done that since college. I will have a few people with me. none of which will purchase the phone. We are just going to party.

egiles
Jun 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
The closest for me would be one of the Hattiesburg or Meridian stores, but only two of my friends are interested in purchasing one-and they are in Ocean Springs-so that is where I am headed. I have a feeling the Hattiesburg stores will quite a number of people there waiting to get one due to the demographics...but who knows. There are three stores on the Gulf Coast that will have them, so maybe I will have a better chance to picking one up on Friday evening. We are probably going to sit at the bar at the Mellow Mushroom and keep an eye out for a line at the Ocean Springs location and when it starts forming, we will head on over.

chopperglide
Jun 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
Bay Saint Louis is like, what, 50 miles from ther?
'bout an hour...yeah.

chopperglide
Jun 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
The closest for me would be one of the Hattiesburg or Meridian stores, but only two of my friends are interested in purchasing one-and they are in Ocean Springs-so that is where I am headed. I have a feeling the Hattiesburg stores will quite a number of people there waiting to get one due to the demographics...but who knows. There are three stores on the Gulf Coast that will have them, so maybe I will have a better chance to picking one up on Friday evening. We are probably going to sit at the bar at the Mellow Mushroom and keep an eye out for a line at the Ocean Springs location and when it starts forming, we will head on over.

man i bet you are prolly right. but i just can't tell. For anyone interested in my hub city iphone waiting plan, here it is: my 8yr old gets back from church camp thursday at midnight. on our way home, pass by the store to see if there is a line, if so, go home dump the kid, get back to get in line. if no one, go home, rest til 6am, go check store again, if no one, go get shower, supplies, etc, come back at 9am then get in line for sure then. gotta a couple of friends waiting with me, got some folks for bathroom and food support, plus our att store is right by the marble slap ice cream place, also right behind popeyes. come join us and make it a crowd. i will bring the cards and chess set, games and all.

toxicbomber
Jun 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
I will probably head to the local store on Thursday night. Just for the fun, I have not done that since college. I will have a few people with me. none of which will purchase the phone. We are just going to party.

Meet you there! =D

retnuh730
Jun 27, 2007, 04:47 PM
man i bet you are prolly right. but i just can't tell. For anyone interested in my hub city iphone waiting plan, here it is: my 8yr old gets back from church camp thursday at midnight. on our way home, pass by the store to see if there is a line, if so, go home dump the kid, get back to get in line. if no one, go home, rest til 6am, go check store again, if no one, go get shower, supplies, etc, come back at 9am then get in line for sure then. gotta a couple of friends waiting with me, got some folks for bathroom and food support, plus our att store is right by the marble slap ice cream place, also right behind popeyes. come join us and make it a crowd. i will bring the cards and chess set, games and all.
I think you're overestimating demand and your need to wait here, remember that this is MS and people are still recovering from Katrina and dont have 600 bucks laying around for a new phone.

toxicbomber
Jun 27, 2007, 07:51 PM
I think you're overestimating demand and your need to wait here, remember that this is MS and people are still recovering from Katrina and dont have 600 bucks laying around for a new phone.

Not so sure about that. I mean.. the AT&T store in Flowwood said it will be packed out... you know, the one on Lakeland Drive?

retnuh730
Jun 27, 2007, 08:05 PM
Not so sure about that. I mean.. the AT&T store in Flowwood said it will be packed out... you know, the one on Lakeland Drive?
Yes, but unless people are waiting now, it's yet to be proven true. AT&T people may just say stuff like that to get you to come to their store and buy it from them. I just cant see that much of an iPhone audience here, I mean we dont even have an Apple store around here.

toxicbomber
Jun 27, 2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, but unless people are waiting now, it's yet to be proven true. AT&T people may just say stuff like that to get you to come to their store and buy it from them. I just cant see that much of an iPhone audience here, I mean we dont even have an Apple store around here.

Yea.. it sucks. Curse you, Mississippi!!!!!

addison1203
Jun 28, 2007, 02:09 AM
wow, I almost didn't even bother looking here because I figured there wouldn't be anyone on here from around Ocean Springs. I'm planning on checking up on the line at the OS at&t store every so often and when one starts to form head on over there to wait. Anyone know how many they're going to get? They never want to pick up the phone for me.

retnuh730
Jun 28, 2007, 07:22 AM
wow, I almost didn't even bother looking here because I figured there wouldn't be anyone on here from around Ocean Springs. I'm planning on checking up on the line at the OS at&t store every so often and when one starts to form head on over there to wait. Anyone know how many they're going to get? They never want to pick up the phone for me.

Hopefully they'll make sure we get more than the 10-stores-per-mile San Francisco outlets. We should have enough for everyone.

moofie
Jun 28, 2007, 06:50 PM
Ocean Springs here - but work in Biloxi. Contemplating which store to go to - OS or Gulfport.

retnuh730
Jun 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
Ocean Springs here - but work in Biloxi. Contemplating which store to go to - OS or Gulfport.

Seems like more people are heading to OS, so go to gulfport. With one store for such a large area, you're probly SOL either way. Go to mobile.

moofie
Jun 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
Seems like more people are heading to OS, so go to gulfport. With one store for such a large area, you're probly SOL either way. Go to mobile.

Awww, c'mon now, that's not very hospitable ;) I ain't gonna drive to Mobile - if I can't get an iPhone at a local store then I'll just order online and wait for delivery.... that's how I've gotten all my other Apple products anyway... The wait for the first-gen G5 towers was painful!

Good luck to you!

retnuh730
Jun 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
Awww, c'mon now, that's not very hospitable ;) I ain't gonna drive to Mobile - if I can't get an iPhone at a local store then I'll just order online and wait for delivery.... that's how I've gotten all my other Apple products anyway... The wait for the first-gen G5 towers was painful!

Good luck to you!

Oh man, an honest to god mac fan in MS! I only have a MacBook. I never knew your kind existed down here. GL to you as well.

moofie
Jun 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
Oh man, an honest to god mac fan in MS! I only have a MacBook. I never knew your kind existed down here. GL to you as well.

Yes, we exist. I exist. Ya never know who ya might be talking to huh? I'm not gonna list my Apple products, cause that's just plain rude y'all. I'll tell ya that I'm lookin' at this post on a big old-school apple monitor and that I do have several iPods and several Apple puters.

LOL - I hope you all get an iPhone tomorrow! Everyone who loves the mac should have one in their hands - immediately!
:apple:

moofie
Jun 28, 2007, 10:52 PM

Yes, we exist. I exist. Ya never know who ya might be talking to huh? I' not gonna list my Apple products, cause that's just plain rude y'all. I'll tell ya that I'm lookin' at this post on a big old-school apple monitor and that I do have several iPods and several Apple puters.

LOL - I hope you all get an iPhone tomorrow! Everyone who loves the mac should have one in their hands - immediately!
:apple:

retnuh730
Jun 28, 2007, 11:31 PM
This is going to be insane if I do end up getting it. I will make everyone so jealous...

iSaint
Jun 29, 2007, 08:12 PM
Got mine in Columbus! Still awaiting the activation email, though. Plus, my old phone has been deactivated. Lots of server issues at AT&T it seems.

Anyone activated in Mississippi yet?

egiles
Jun 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yep responding to this post from mine right now. Picked it up from the ocean springs store. All the 8gb are gone but they have 4gb left

fbx
Jun 30, 2007, 05:24 AM
Bought mine at the AT&T store next to TJMaxx at 7 pm Friday. No crowd there. Went home and zipped through the actication only to be greeted, 5 minutes later, with the dreaded "Your activation requires additional time to complete" message. THat was about 10 hours ago.

At first I was understanding and sympathetic--after all, hundreds of thousands [?} of people were lal activating their iphones at the same time!

By three this morning I was way ticked off. By now I am livid. OK, maybe that's an overstatement, but it does seem ridiculous that these people (Apple and AT&T) can orchestrate this huge PR/advertising event and then have such cr*ppy service that they can't even activate the phones.

I called AT&T twice trying to be certain they had no other problem with my activation and the people at the number that comes up in iTunes don't seem to have much of a clue.

Altogether a huge disappointment.

iSaint
Jun 30, 2007, 10:27 AM
18 or so people in line in Columbus. I was a bit surprised. Two 14 year olds were first and second, with their parents, of course.

A girls from Pepper's Deli (http://www.eatwithus.com) brought sweet tea about twenty minutes before opening. Only in Mississippi.

I went by the store later that evening, and they said they had sold thirty phones. The rep who sold me my phone sold five. He sold the first two in twenty minutes. There were several sales of other types of phones that night. They kept the door locked regardless.