PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Austin, TX

semperfimarine2
Jun 25, 2007, 12:16 PM
i see no threads of people meeting in austin texas? is no one buying an iPhone in austin? if so........great. better chance for me:D

diabolic
Jun 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
I am, but haven't decided where to go yet. I'm thinking I'll avoid the Apple store.

dagger55
Jun 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
i see no threads of people meeting in austin texas? is no one buying an iPhone in austin? if so........great. better chance for me:D

I moving there in 6 weeks!!!

If I was already there, i would probably go to the Apple Store at that new shopping mall...

semperfimarine2
Jun 25, 2007, 12:24 PM
I am, but haven't decided where to go yet. I'm thinking I'll avoid the Apple store.

me too, considering we only have two here. but i dont know which cingular (att) store to go to. i was just thinking of going to one that has the white iPhone poster up, thinking they are getting them. cause i dont know the difference in stores.:confused:

ham_man
Jun 25, 2007, 12:26 PM
All the richies will be at the Apple Store in Barton Creek and all the yuppies will be at the one in The Domain. AT&T Store would definately be your best bet...

semperfimarine2
Jun 25, 2007, 12:29 PM
i heard that the phone will only be sold at certain att stores. how do you tell the difference?

iprincess
Jun 25, 2007, 12:47 PM
i think there are probably more people in austin than are replying. i read another post several days ago but did not want to register to respond. it would be great if this forum allowed guests to respond to a few posts before registering. i am sure we would see a lot more postings of austin people planning to stand in line.

i was planning on lining up at the domain, but after checking the forecast, it looks like thunderstorms all week and i'd rather wait indoors than face the possibility of rain. i am not sure if i will go to barton creek or an AT&T store near my house.

graphicwave
Jun 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
i heard that the phone will only be sold at certain att stores. how do you tell the difference?

The corporate stores will have them, as you probably already know. When you do a search on AT&Ts wireless website, any store that says "CINGULAR WIRELESS" is a corporate store and should have them (as opposed to the stores that say "Cingular Wireless - Authorized Retailer")

I know the store near the Gateway shopping center will have them. I have about 5 written down that I can go to incase either one is too crowded.

oh yes....it will be mine....

dex22
Jun 25, 2007, 02:31 PM
I don't have any plans to buy an iPhone, because I refuse to use AT&T. However, if there's going to be a hang-out of macrumors members in Austin, sign me up.

It would be good to have a weekly or twice-monthly hang-out at The Green Muse on Oltorf/1st Street - good because it's a mac hangout AND has free wifi AND has great coffee.

rickhahn
Jun 25, 2007, 02:35 PM
Don't know where yet. What do you think? Apple store or AT&T?

semperfimarine2
Jun 25, 2007, 02:45 PM
i will be at one of the att stores. there are only 2 apple stores, so im not risking it

kemck
Jun 25, 2007, 02:58 PM
I am buying two if I am so lucky this Friday in Austin! I am going the AT&T store route rater than my favorite Apple store at the Barton Springs Mall.

Capt Underpants
Jun 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'll be in austin until Friday for my UT orientation, but I'm not sure if I'll stick around for the iPhone launch. I don't know my way around Austin very well, so I might drive up to Dallas to go to the Knox St. store. I'm sill debating...

rickhahn
Jun 25, 2007, 03:07 PM
While I too believe that there will be more people at the Apple stores, I also am pretty sure there will be more phone at each Apple store than at each AT&T store.

I'm thinking about getting to the Apple Store around 2:00 along with a rolling cooler containing water and perhaps a bottle or two of wine. I figure I will meet some others in line and we can take turns alternately staying in line and walking around the mall.

Anyone interested in being part of this?

swingsong
Jun 25, 2007, 04:28 PM
I don't like Barton Creek, and I haven't been to the Domain, so I guess I will go there. I don't plan to buy the phone, but I want to play with it.

I have a RAZR, which was free from ATT, and I don't own an iPod, so I don't really need the iPhone, but maybe when I see it "techno lust" will get the better of me, and so will the credit card company, ATT and Apple.

iprincess
Jun 25, 2007, 07:37 PM
While I too believe that there will be more people at the Apple stores, I also am pretty sure there will be more phone at each Apple store than at each AT&T store.

I'm thinking about getting to the Apple Store around 2:00 along with a rolling cooler containing water and perhaps a bottle or two of wine. I figure I will meet some others in line and we can take turns alternately staying in line and walking around the mall.

Anyone interested in being part of this?

is it ok to drink wine in line?

leftfoot
Jun 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
I wish I could be there, but I can't buy an iPhone.

2 year contract ftl :mad:

leftfoot
Jun 25, 2007, 10:39 PM

The main store will most likely have them.

I know the AT&T store over by Mopac&Lamar will have it (by the best buy).

I think one store in Oak Hill will have it, I think it's the one on William Cannon, by the Golds Gym.

DigitalAx
Jun 26, 2007, 01:31 AM
I don't have any plans to buy an iPhone, because I refuse to use AT&T. However, if there's going to be a hang-out of macrumors members in Austin, sign me up.

It would be good to have a weekly or twice-monthly hang-out at The Green Muse on Oltorf/1st Street - good because it's a mac hangout AND has free wifi AND has great coffee.

Awesome idea. I live literally two minutes from there.

jeffwheeler
Jun 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
Since nobody else has showed interest, I think I'll be at Barton Creek. They say they won't allow a line because of the Mall's restrictions, but we'll see how that goes. ;)

Anybody know how it works online? Available 6:00pm Pacific time? Eastern?

diabolic
Jun 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
They say they won't allow a line because of the Mall's restrictions, but we'll see how that goes. ;)

Yeah, that's real smart :) They'd rather just have several hundred people milling around right outside and then all try to rush in at 6.

It's 6pm pacific time online I am pretty sure.

furqan8421
Jun 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
I will be waiting in line, just don't know which location to go to. I may go to the domain if the mall doesn't allow you to wait in line.

graphicwave
Jun 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'll probably take off from work half a day after lunch time, grab some grub and wait at the AT&T Airport Drive location. I'm kinda hoping I'm not the first one there, but I kinda am. As long as there isn't a line of 20 people, I think I'll be good. It looks like rain, so I'll be bringing the umbrella.
Anyone else gonna be there?

crap...I just realized that's the Mall. Screw that. I guess I might have to hit up the Lamar location, or one on I-35.

Rimik
Jun 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
My girlfriend and Me might camp overnight at the AT&T store over by Mopac if there are people there. If not, first thing 6-8 am in the morning. I got the day off.

swingsong
Jun 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
I suspect Austin will have plenty of phones. I think the town is full of corporate Crackberry users and college kids with no money. I guess we'll see. As a stockholder, I hope I am totally wrong and people mob and beat each other to get one.

furqan8421
Jun 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
I suspect Austin will have plenty of phones. I think the town is full of corporate Crackberry users and college kids with no money. I guess we'll see. As a stockholder, I hope I am totally wrong and people mob and beat each other to get one.

I'm hoping that going to the store at like 4 in the morning at the domain is early enough :o

Most UT students are actually pretty rich

DigitalAx
Jun 27, 2007, 11:06 PM
I'm hoping that going to the store at like 4 in the morning at the domain is early enough :o

Most UT students are actually pretty rich

Which explains all the Drag Rats... :rolleyes:

UT is a cheap state school. Despite the staggering number of rich frat kids, I think you'd be surprised. Check St. Ed's or Southwestern for the rich kids.

newstudentut
Jun 27, 2007, 11:13 PM

Shut up! You should seriously take a drive around West and the Hyde Park area before making a statement regarding UT students. I just graduated from UT, and I can honestly tell you that your statement is not exactly accurate. There's MANY UT students that lots and lots of money (just look at the cost of living around UT nowadays and the cost of hanging out on 6th St several times a week)

newstudentut
Jun 27, 2007, 11:13 PM
Which explains all the Drag Rats... :rolleyes:

UT is a cheap state school. Despite the staggering number of rich frat kids, I think you'd be surprised. Check St. Ed's or Southwestern for the rich kids.

You must be from A&M!! :rolleyes:

DigitalAx
Jun 28, 2007, 12:00 AM
You must be from A&M!! :rolleyes:

I'll kindly ignore that cruel, cruel insult.

FWIW, I paid my own way through school.

jordantohe
Jun 28, 2007, 01:14 AM
I am a little better off than most students here in austin due to saving a bunch of cash in the army from all the extra bucks they gave me in iraq. BUT Unv. Tx kids are MOSTLY rich, and that is from someone who goes to school here! SO case closed...haha. Anyway my myspace is myspace.com/jordanrohe and im interested in waiting in line around 9-noon for a start time if anyone is interested... ill be bringing a MBP and a bunch of downloaded *cough cough* purchased movies (knocked up, Pirates 3, oceans 13, etc...). myspace or email me at jordanrohe@gmail.com if interested!

leviut
Jun 28, 2007, 02:34 AM
I am a former UT student and I was/am very poor. However, this is not true for most UT students.

I will buy at least one, 8 gig iPhone for myself. I won't say from which store, but the location is, likely, not going to draw a huge crowd.

I work Thursday at midnight until 6 am. I am willing to leave work and go straight to get in line for the phone if I think that will be necessary. I called the store that I will buy from, and was told the building owner is not allowing camping of any kind, so I think I will be ok going very early in the morning after work.

The problem is I work that evening again at 6 p.m.!!! So I will be at least an hour late getting to work. I have never been late before, so I think I should have a chance to redeem the incident I have planned for Friday.

There are a LOT of AT&T/Cingular stores in Austin!!! Has anyone noticed? I don't think we are going to see a problem of long lines at every single store, but only at some stores.

furqan8421
Jun 28, 2007, 07:13 AM
I am a former UT student and I was/am very poor. However, this is not true for most UT students.

I will buy at least one, 8 gig iPhone for myself. I won't say from which store, but the location is, likely, not going to draw a huge crowd.

I work Thursday at midnight until 6 am. I am willing to leave work and go straight to get in line for the phone if I think that will be necessary. I called the store that I will buy from, and was told the building owner is not allowing camping of any kind, so I think I will be ok going very early in the morning after work.

The problem is I work that evening again at 6 p.m.!!! So I will be at least an hour late getting to work. I have never been late before, so I think I should have a chance to redeem the incident I have planned for Friday.

There are a LOT of AT&T/Cingular stores in Austin!!! Has anyone noticed? I don't think we are going to see a problem of long lines at every single store, but only at some stores.

Do you mind sharing what location will not allow camping? I'm thinking of going to the Domain because the mall would be more of a crap shoot as far as what entrance opens first (assuming enough people are there early in the morning). The domain would at least be accessible from directly outside, but the downside of that is having to wait outdoors rather than inside at the mall.

leviut
Jun 28, 2007, 12:24 PM
I am buying two if I am so lucky this Friday in Austin! I am going the AT&T store route rater than my favorite Apple store at the Barton Springs Mall.

you can only buy one from at&t.

leviut
Jun 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
Do you mind sharing what location will not allow camping? I'm thinking of going to the Domain because the mall would be more of a crap shoot as far as what entrance opens first (assuming enough people are there early in the morning). The domain would at least be accessible from directly outside, but the downside of that is having to wait outdoors rather than inside at the mall.

nope, i will not be disclosing the name of my iPhone store because that would just be stupid and would only attract more people to it... and I kind of don't want that.

I can tell you it is a Cingular/At&T store and it is listed at att.com/wireless as a store that will have the iPhone.

I want to buy 2, but at&t stores are only selling 1 per customer. and there are only 2 apple stores in austin-- and apple stores sell 2 per customer, but I will not be going there because the line will most certainly be long and both apple store locations are not convenient for me.

does anyone have an update on lines already forming in austin? as far as i know, there are none!!! this could be due to inclement weather, though.

jdhouse4
Jun 28, 2007, 12:39 PM
My thought is, I'm starting with the Apple Stores because I think they are going to have more phones since they will sell 2 phones per customer where ATT is selling only one. First stop will be the Apple Store at Domain. I don't think Domain will let people camp out and there's the forecast for thunderstorms tonight, which makes sitting outside, as Domain has no cover, the suck. I'm going by this afternoon for a heads-up check and then at about 9 AM and see how long the line is.

If tomorrow AM there is a line at Domain and it's long, then it's off to Barton Creek Mall. According to friends at Apple, Apple Store Barton Creek is one of the biggest single iPod sellers in the nation. Why is that matters is because iPhones are being allocated to Apple Stores according to iPod sales. I think Domain will have a good supply because it's the newest and biggest non-mega Apple Store and Apple will want it to shine.

If Apple Store Barton Creek is also jam-packed, then off to the ATT stores.

If, when I check out Domain tomorrow, there isn't a line, well then, that is good! I'll post here what I see.

I am pretty sure Apple doesn't want big shortages of the iPhone, so I think if you show up early enough, even if you're in a long line, you're getting an iPhone. Tomorrow PM's another story.

lonnielove
Jun 28, 2007, 04:03 PM
Ill be in round rock away from all the lines and domains and malls

newstudentut
Jun 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
Ill be in round rock away from all the lines and domains and malls

You wanna avoid lines? Go to Leander; I think they dont even know the iPhone exists :p

furqan8421
Jun 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
Called the domain earlier, they wont be allowing camping tonight. I'll try showing up early in the morning and hopefully thatll be fine

lonnielove
Jun 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
Went to att store and there was already dps trooper there already. so that means they have them in the store, and there also was crew building a display there as well. and a line starts here sign. ill be first in a round rock store

jonathansfun
Jun 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'll be heading out to Barton Creek Mall tomorrow to wait in line. I'm not sure how early I should get there though... ideas? (...besides after you.)

leviut
Jun 28, 2007, 07:21 PM
i'll go to an at&t near my job probably at around8 am tomorrow. 10 hours waiting isn't so bad considering I have waited months, since the announcement of iPhone to have it.

Please keep me updated on lines at stores around town!!!

So far, I think most stores will not allow camping and its been raining. My guess is that there will be a mad rush of people getting in line at the butt crack of dawn.

iprincess
Jun 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
the domain security said they were told to immediately call the police if anyone tries to camp or line up early. they are particularly concerned because there are people that live there above the shops. i guess i'm going to go to barton creek early morning so i don't have to worry about being arrested!

AllanCook
Jun 28, 2007, 09:34 PM
I will do anything to avoid the BC Apple store. I'm sick of those young punks who work there. Apple really needs to clean house there and start over with some adults who know the products and know something about customer service.

furqan8421
Jun 28, 2007, 09:37 PM
the domain security said they were told to immediately call the police if anyone tries to camp or line up early. they are particularly concerned because there are people that live there above the shops. i guess i'm going to go to barton creek early morning so i don't have to worry about being arrested!

any idea how early you can get there? I was planning on being there around 5 am, but dont want to get arrested obviously.

furqan8421
Jun 28, 2007, 09:38 PM
also just as an aside but when the playstation 3 was coming out there were many stores that said they would not allow camping, but once enough people showed up (usually around 5am or so) they stopped caring. i think it was more that they didnt want anyone to sleep there overnight

iprincess
Jun 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
I will do anything to avoid the BC Apple store. I'm sick of those young punks who work there. Apple really needs to clean house there and start over with some adults who know the products and know something about customer service.

i think there are some great guys at the genius bar at BC that have been there since they opened. other than that, there are "young punks" at the domain too.

any idea how early you can get there? I was planning on being there around 5 am, but dont want to get arrested obviously.

i have no idea, they just said when the mall opens. there is a starbucks there though and i assume they open early.

leviut
Jun 29, 2007, 04:56 AM
i'll go to an at&t near my job probably at around8 am tomorrow. 10 hours waiting isn't so bad considering I have waited months, since the announcement of iPhone to have it.

Please keep me updated on lines at stores around town!!!

So far, I think most stores will not allow camping and its been raining. My guess is that there will be a mad rush of people getting in line at the butt crack of dawn.

I am at work at 4:23 a.m. I have decided to go home, when I get off at 6 a.m., and sleep until my body wakes up-- 12 or 1, maybe 2 p.m!! I will then call the only AT&T store I will consider waiting at, and see if it is worth going to wait in line.

I actually need a new phone. I signed with Cingular 28 months ago, and I've had the same phone ever since!! It is, literally, in 2 pieces, held together by, idk what. I have kept my phone because the iPhone was announced around the time my contract ended and I thought I'd just wait... and save a pile of cash. It is a splurge for me.

I guess if I don't get the phone today, I can wait a few more days for the second or third shipment. I was hopeful to get the phone right away, but I will not survive my 12 hour shift tonight if I wait all day for the phone!

I'm MAD!

jane doe
Jun 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
Awesome idea. I live literally two minutes from there.

Yeah, getting a monthly meeting together would be cool

rjstanford
Jun 29, 2007, 12:33 PM
Any updates on the Apple stores themselves? The ATT store at 5th/Lamar had about 15 people in line at 11:30.

MrPrezident
Jun 29, 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm at the Domain Apple store right now. There are about 90 people ahead of me in line and I got here around 1:30pm. This is crazy. I wonder how the Barton Creek store is doing.

Jonescobbs
Jun 29, 2007, 02:26 PM
Capitol Plaza

45th and Lamar

Gateway (that still exists, right?)

jonathansfun
Jun 29, 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm at Barton Creek. Got here around 12:30 or so and there are around 80 people ahead of me. Right now there are probably 100 people in line in total but almost everyone after me showed up in the last 30 minutes.

kirk5
Jun 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
I just drove by the Domain and the line extended to the little mall office about 20 yards from Calif Pizza Kitchen. Lots of people have chairs and umbrellas so it isn't that packed of line, but way more when I stopped for coffee this morning and the security weren't letting people line up -- instead the few people were just sitting on the benches in front of the shops. Channel 7 is at the Domain so I'm sure they'll do a standup during their 5 or 6 newscast showing the line.

I was also near the Cingular/ATT store on 183 near the Golfsmith. It had about a dozen people in the line about 20 minutes ago.

jonathansfun
Jun 29, 2007, 02:56 PM
I just checked weather.com and it looks like the people waiting outside at the Domain are going to get pounded with some serious rain at some point tonight. Lots of red on the radar heading your way.

jane doe
Jun 29, 2007, 03:22 PM
I drove by on my lunch break to take a look. Its a great site to see people in line for a phone. LOL

Hope everyone in line gets one

Jonescobbs
Jun 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
Just drove by half an hour ago and there were probably about 30 people there looking very hot.

MrPrezident
Jun 29, 2007, 04:23 PM
Here is a short clip of the how long the line was at 2pm at the Domain

MrPrezident
Jun 29, 2007, 04:27 PM
Here is a short video of the how long the line was at 2pm at the Domain: clicky (http://siteswap.org/upload/applestore_line_2pm.avi)

joedub
Jun 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
My wife just got in line at Barton Creek (~4:45pm). She's standing in front of the Nordstrom's and says it isn't bad at all.

jonathansfun
Jun 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
That means she's probably about 150th in line. Not too bad at all... except, I'm about 70 people ahead of her. ;-)

mhojnacki
Jun 29, 2007, 05:20 PM
less than 60 people here!

jonathansfun
Jun 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah... but the ATT stores are getting far fewer phones than the Apple stores. Everyone's going to want an 8GB phone and I wonder how many people are going to get up to the counter and realize they're all out of 8GB phones. I guess I'll find out in about 20 minutes.

kirk5
Jun 29, 2007, 07:56 PM
I showed up at the ATT store on 183 near the Lakeline Mall at 6:00pm on the dot. There were about 40 people in front of me. The ATT people would come by saying you needed a computer to use the iPhone and to activate it. The didn't say how many they had and if the people in line would get one.The first group of 10 entered at 6pm. The first person left at 6:15.

40 minutes later they come by and say they are almost out and only the five people at the head of the line would get one, the rest of us could stay an hour or two and order one to be mailed out. I left.

I went by the Research/183 ATT store on the way home from that disaster. There was a small line still and the ATT people were a little forthcoming. They had moved 80 people through the store in the last hour and those of us at the end of the line would get one -- but it was a 4gb. Again, they offered to order one for use when we got inside the store they guessed 40 minutes.

So the Domain Apple store was still on my way home so I decided to see what kind of madhouse. There was 20 people in line and I got a parking place right in front of the store. Within 5 minutes I was leaving the store with a 8GB model. They seemed to have a bunch of them left on the back shelf and there really wasn't much of a line for the checkout area.

semperfimarine2
Jun 30, 2007, 03:42 AM
anyone on here go to capital plaza? i was there and there was about only 40 ppl or so. dont know if they sold out

leviut
Jun 30, 2007, 04:44 AM
I am at work at 4:23 a.m. I have decided to go home, when I get off at 6 a.m., and sleep until my body wakes up-- 12 or 1, maybe 2 p.m!! I will then call the only AT&T store I will consider waiting at, and see if it is worth going to wait in line.

I actually need a new phone. I signed with Cingular 28 months ago, and I've had the same phone ever since!! It is, literally, in 2 pieces, held together by, idk what. I have kept my phone because the iPhone was announced around the time my contract ended and I thought I'd just wait... and save a pile of cash. It is a splurge for me.

I guess if I don't get the phone today, I can wait a few more days for the second or third shipment. I was hopeful to get the phone right away, but I will not survive my 12 hour shift tonight if I wait all day for the phone!

I'm MAD!

I woke up at like one in iDay and made it to the 5th and Lamar store at like 3ish. I was 30th or so in line and I was in and out very quickly once the doors were opened!!!

This was a great experience!!! The manager at the store was in great spirits, smiling, constantly checking on us!!! Everyone around me made it a party. There was a bar only a few feet away with $2 wells and people were getting drinks all afternoon. A really cute girl even came by and got fancy beer from Whole Foods!

I am REALLY happy I don't live in NYC where people were camping for 4 days. I waited just a few hours.

As for the phone. It has been called revolutionary and it is. I was showing it to a client at my job, and after showing all of the cool features, he goes,'does that thing make phone calls?' He thought it was just a really cool movie/music player thing. He was like... 'ohhhh, it's a phone!' I love it. And I should for $648.