PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Birmingham, Alabama

kavika411
Jun 25, 2007, 01:05 PM
Anyone here in the Birmingham (Alabama - not England) area? It might be fun to meet up Friday. Then again, I don't want anyone getting the last phone in front of me. Respond if you are in Birmingham with your plans. I tentatively plan to avoid the Apple store and hit the Cingular store at the Colonnade.

dagger55
Jun 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
i spoke with the manager at the Lakeshore ATT store, and she said that out off all the ATT stores in Bham, they would be getting the biggest shipment, since they are the biggest ATT store in the state

kavika411
Jun 25, 2007, 02:11 PM
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up, dagger55. However, I'm rethinking my strategy altogether. I think that places near schools - Samford/Lakeshore, Brookwood Mall/Homewood and Mountain Brook - will be swamped. I just called a store in Fairfield off 20/59 in a not-as-safe part of town. Without making any kind of political statement, I think I may go there as I would think that there will be very few people there and that any supply they have will be sufficient.

dagger55
Jun 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up, dagger55. However, I'm rethinking my strategy altogether. I think that places near schools - Samford/Lakeshore, Brookwood Mall/Homewood and Mountain Brook - will be swamped. I just called a store in Fairfield off 20/59 in a not-as-safe part of town. Without making any kind of political statement, I think I may go there as I would think that there will be very few people there and that any supply they have will be sufficient.
I know several people who will be hitting the Cingular stores in Trussville up... I believe there two stores with a half mile of each other...

I'll either be at the Auburn ATT store, or I'm thinking about making the 20 minute drive over into Georgia (and the Eastern Time Zone) so I can get it an hour early

kavika411
Jun 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
Belt clip ... $30. Monthly data plan ... $45. iPhone ... $500. Driving to Georgia to get an iPhone one hour early ... priceless.

dagger55
Jun 25, 2007, 02:21 PM
Belt clip ... $30. Monthly data plan ... $45. iPhone ... $500. Driving to Georgia to get an iPhone one hour early ... priceless.

im glad we see it the same way

loudestnoise
Jun 25, 2007, 02:22 PM

So apparently you have changed your mind? Great idea by the way. Although you should probably include the price of gas in your faux Mastercard commercial there

P.S. I dont know why I'm compelled to read threads about people waiting for iPhone in other cities/states, yes the first step is admitting there is a problem

raptor96
Jun 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except - War Eagle! and since I transferred from UAB: Go Blazers! Oh and good luck getting your phones. If I was in AU I'd definitely go to ATL seeing as how it's closer than BHM and there's likely to be more supply. Or I'd go to like West Point or something and go to the Cingular store there.

dagger55
Jun 25, 2007, 02:42 PM
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except - War Eagle! and since I transferred from UAB: Go Blazers! Oh and good luck getting your phones. If I was in AU I'd definitely go to ATL seeing as how it's closer than BHM and there's likely to be more supply. Or I'd go to like West Point or something and go to the Cingular store there.

Ha im not planning on going to ATL...

I just may make the 20 minute drive over to Columbus

raptor96
Jun 25, 2007, 02:48 PM
Ha im not planning on going to ATL...

I just may make the 20 minute drive over to Columbus

Yeah that's a good idea. I'm fairly certain that there's a AT&T corporate store in Valley/West Point, so that would be just over the border and a little closer if you like. Plus, not to be a jerk, but I doubt sales in the West Point area will be too brisk, so you may be able to just walk in and pick one up without a wait. Now that I think about it though that may be a T-Mo corporate store....hmm.

kavika411
Jun 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
It'll just be me and Raptor96 at that West Point store. I used to go out that way when there was a Ticketmaster outlet to get tickets when they'd go on sale. There was never a line. I think the worst places to be will be (1) the Apple Store, (2) the At&T store at Brookwood mall, and (3) the AT&T store at the Galleria. They could have one million for sale at the Galleria but I ain't getting anywhere near that place Friday.

rjphoto
Jun 25, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm just going to sit on the side lines and watch this one unfold here in b'Ham...

1. too broke to buy the phone.
2. locked into Verizon for a while longer (and not just because of the contract.)

I may go by and hang out at the Summit just to see how the crowd is handled...assuming there will be one...only one person so far on this forum has said anything about getting an iPhone in B'Ham. (just kidding, I know it's going to be wild).

Maybe I can post some photos of the crowd...

uaaerospace
Jun 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except - War Eagle!

Ohhh phooey! :p

raptor96
Jun 25, 2007, 05:36 PM
It'll just be me and Raptor96 at that West Point store. I used to go out that way when there was a Ticketmaster outlet to get tickets when they'd go on sale. There was never a line. I think the worst places to be will be (1) the Apple Store, (2) the At&T store at Brookwood mall, and (3) the AT&T store at the Galleria. They could have one million for sale at the Galleria but I ain't getting anywhere near that place Friday.

Haha, actually you'll be all alone at West Point. I'm up in RI for the summer + poor and locked into T-Mobile so there's no iphone-getting for me. I think the Galleria should never be visited, no exceptions. When I lived in B'ham I always went to the Summit if I HAD to go to the mall.

I may stop by the Apple store on Friday in Providence to see what the madness is like :-).

Ohhh phooey! :p

Haha! Well gotta support where you're from :-).

dagger55
Jun 25, 2007, 10:56 PM
change of plans...

I'll be in Birmingham on friday

kavika411
Jun 26, 2007, 06:54 AM
So, dagger. Where will you be going in Birmngham to get your iPhone?

dagger55
Jun 26, 2007, 09:39 AM
So, dagger. Where will you be going in Birmngham to get your iPhone?

I'll most likely be in Trussville at one of the Cingular stores....

Although I might be over at the Lakeshore store because my buddy bought a Blackjack less than 30 days ago, so he is going to trade it in and he bought it from there

kavika411
Jun 26, 2007, 09:53 AM
I've decided on the Fairfield store. I expect it to have one of the lowest turnouts, although by posting this, I may be wrong.

CellPhoneJunkie
Jun 29, 2007, 07:54 AM
My bosses will have two interns standing in line for them at the Summit.

I'm thinking I might go personally, though, because then I could use my gold Amex and double the warranty.

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 08:21 AM
I read somewhere yesterday that the AT&T stores were going to limit you to one phone per customer but at the Apple Store it would be two per customer...if that matters to anyone.

kavika411
Jun 29, 2007, 10:31 AM
I just stopped by the Fairfield store (around 10:00 a.m.). There was no one there but a cop is already stationed there for the day. He and the salesperson said that Roebuck already has a line. The salesperson agreed with me that Fairfield is probably the best choice. She expects that if other stores sell out, that they will send those customers to Fairfield. I hope to get mine there and then immediately drive over to the Apple store to witness the excitement/carnage first hand.

rek2005
Jun 29, 2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah that's a good idea. I'm fairly certain that there's a AT&T corporate store in Valley/West Point, so that would be just over the border and a little closer if you like. Plus, not to be a jerk, but I doubt sales in the West Point area will be too brisk, so you may be able to just walk in and pick one up without a wait. Now that I think about it though that may be a T-Mo corporate store....hmm.

I live in Lanett (like a mile away form West Point) and there are no Cingular/ATT stores here. Only T-Mobile. I'm going to Auburn and hopefully get it. HOPEFULLY.

kavika411
Jun 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
I just went by the Apple Store (around noon) and it appeared there were about twenty or so people in line, and that it was beginning to grow quickly.

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
I just went by the Apple Store (around noon) and it appeared there were about twenty or so people in line, and that it was beginning to grow quickly.

Let the PARTY begin....

Anyone in line on-line???

ajohns
Jun 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
I am a reporter with the Anniston Star (obviously in Anniston, AL) and I am blogging about the iPhone launch in this area.
If anyone is interested feel free to take a look at the blog (http://www.iphoneanniston.blogspot.com/). I'll update periodically.
-Andy
ajohns@annistonstar.com

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
I am a reporter with the Anniston Star (obviously in Anniston, AL) and I am blogging about the iPhone launch in this area.
If anyone is interested feel free to take a look at the blog (http://www.iphoneanniston.blogspot.com/). I'll update periodically.
-Andy
ajohns@annistonstar.com

So, are you going to come down to the Summit and infiltrate the "line"?

ajohns
Jun 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
No. I will probably just stay at the AT&T Stores in Anniston and Jacksonville.
-aj

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 03:22 PM
No. I will probably just stay at the AT&T Stores in Anniston and Jacksonville.
-aj

That's problably a good move. I heard thunder out my window and checked the weather radar and it looks like it is pouring down at the Summit.
http://www.accuweather.com/radar-large.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&site=AL_&type=SIR&anim=1&level=state&large=1

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 08:34 PM
We pulled up in the Summit parking lot and could see the line fromhalf a mile away.

From a rough guestament I would say there were 200-250 people in line, not counting the media and onlookers.

This is the first time I have tried to upload photos. I hope this works...

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
The last one is my favorite.

We left before it started raining again.

The crowd was in good spirits and the employees at the door where nice to people coming up and asking questions.

One that I over heard: A guy comes up and and ask how many units they had for sale. The lady said she had no idea, but if he would like to buy one the line started D O W N >>>>> T H E R E >>>>. (See last photo.)

raptor96
Jun 29, 2007, 09:22 PM
Not sure if anyone's checking this thread anymore but those of you who were actually looking to purchase, I'd be curious to know how you fared w/ the lines and whether you ended up making out with an iPhone in the end?

GooMan
Jun 29, 2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the pics. I wondered what the line @ The Summit would be like. :D

rjphoto
Jun 29, 2007, 09:41 PM
Not sure if anyone's checking this thread anymore but those of you who were actually looking to purchase, I'd be curious to know how you fared w/ the lines and whether you ended up making out with an iPhone in the end?

just did a quick check at http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/ and it seems that no stores have run out of iPhones yet.

Did I hear that they are staying open until MidNight?

kavika411
Jun 30, 2007, 09:16 AM
Someone suggested giving final line numbers for stores. At the Fairfield store, in which I was - yes - first in line as predicted (getting there at 1:45 p.m.), there were roughly 20 to 25 people in line. However, a few of those people were there for other matters. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear the final numbers for AT&T at Lakeshore.

Roller
Jun 30, 2007, 02:55 PM
I didn't want to stand in line for hours, so I planned to buy online. Out of curiosity, I drove to the Apple store and got in line around 5:15, since the crowd didn't seem overwhelming. It moved quickly once they opened the doors, and I was out by around 6:30.

When I passed by around 8, the only line was inside the store. I suppose I could have waited until 9 and just walked in without a wait. I ended up fiddling around until 1 AM, mostly because of the activation issues that so many people had.