Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Whenever I watch one of the BBC channels and Apple computers appear on screen (in a series or whatever, like Dr. Who or Eastenders, you know!), they cover up the Apple logo. Yeah that's ok if they do it with all the other electronics companies BUT THEY DON'T!! Whenever a SONY TV is on screen you can see the logo, or a TOSHIBA laptop, does anyone know what's up with the BBC?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Whenever I watch one of the BBC channels and Apple computers appear on screen (in a series or whatever, like Dr. Who or Eastenders, you know!), they cover up the Apple logo. Yeah that's ok if they do it with all the other electronics companies BUT THEY DON'T!! Whenever a SONY TV is on screen you can see the logo, or a TOSHIBA laptop, does anyone know what's up with the BBC?

It's to do with the fact that they cannot endorse a company/brand/logo, as the BBC is a commercial free, government funded organisation. I suppose the Apple logo is more easily identifiable these days due to the success of the iPod, so the BBC are more aware of Apple hardware being visible.

Rich.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
It has to do with licensing. BBC is not licensed to use the Apple logo and/or Apple has not paid for advertising, Sony has.

It's not a conspiracy, it's advertising dollars.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
It has to do with licensing. BBC is not licensed to use the Apple logo and/or Apple has not paid for advertising, Sony has.

It's not a conspiracy, it's advertising dollars.

yep. they want to use the Apple hardware, but since they're not getting ad revenue for it, the logo is covered.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
And the BBC news website appears to be pretty anti Apple.

They made a HUGE deal about non DRM tracks still holding customer info, amongst other things.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
yep. they want to use the Apple hardware, but since they're not getting ad revenue for it, the logo is covered.

the bbc isn't permitted to take ad revenue. i have seen that they use a macbook pro a lot in dr who and the apple logo is covered with a sticker. probably because it's so prominent on the lid as opposed the sony logo the OP mentions.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I did explain this, the BBC are a commercial/endorsement free organisation.

They don't/can't take money from anyone for any product placement.

Rich.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I did explain this, the BBC are a commercial/endorsement free organisation.

They don't/can't take money from anyone for any product placement.

Rich.

Interesting. Regarding Spooks that was mentioned before, here's an article from 2005 about them being required to start covering the logo, just a short blurb: http://www.brandrepublic.com/login/News/518896/

Edit: Here's another article, and free: http://www.macuser.co.uk/macuser/news/78026/bbc-prunes-back-apple-over-product-placements.html

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
They also cover up the Apple on a lot of US shows (like Numb3rs for example). Yet 24 proudly as Apple everywhere and has done for years.

Seems bizarre, and stupid, but there we go.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
US shows generally fall under the licensing I was discussing above.

But it appears as pot luck. Two different shows from Fox, for example, will have different policies (24 and Numb3rs being the two I'm thinking of).

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
And the BBC news website appears to be pretty anti Apple.

What? The BBC is the most pro-Apple news site I've ever seen. They cover just about every Apple product introduction. They're also fairly anti-Microsoft. For years, they've covered every virus outbreak and Windows security flaw. (it's my favourite source for news items demonstrating how unsecure Windows is)

That's why I was shocked to hear of BBC's deal with Microsoft to provide video content that was Windows-only. (until people complained and they had to make it more open)

They also cover up the Apple on a lot of US shows (like Numb3rs for example). Yet 24 proudly as Apple everywhere and has done for years.

Back in the 70's and 80's, TV shows couldn't have any product placement. Take a look at "Three's Company" and the box of cereal on the table just says "Cereal". Cans of beer are labelled "Beer". I watched an episode of "Sledge Hammer" where there's an Amiga 1000 and they have all the logos blurred out.

(OK, I suppose Magnum's Ferrari is product placement ;))

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What? I've never seen them cover up the Apple logo. Spooks, Doctor Who, some little show set in the future where a 17" PowerBook held some secrets ('spose it was the most futuristic looking laptop of the day). They all seem to show the logo!

Them house shows too, I'm sure I've seen Apple logos.

Newspapers and advertisements in such stick in Apple computers everywhere too. There was an article in the Daily Mail recently that showed a MBP keyboard with the "clover" key in full view :)

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
That's why I was shocked to hear of BBC's deal with Microsoft to provide video content that was Windows-only. (until people complained and they had to make it more open)
In fairness to the BBC, when it announced this service to be rolled out, it said that a Mac-friendly solution was in the pipeline but would take time as OS X is a "propriety" system... unlike Microsoft's OS presumably.

As I said in the thread about the BBC/EC/Apple story, it sucks but it's hardly the first organisation that have told Mac users to wait - although you could be right about pressure put onto the Beeb. As pointed out in the other thread by someone else, the system used for this type of service by C4 is Windows only.... whether that will change remains to be seen.

If Apple has been a bit more helpful to the Beeb when it was offering streamed video/audio content in QT a few years ago, things might be a bit different now - from what I heard, more than a few execs were livid at Apple's high-handed unhelpful attitude leading to a few burned bridges although QT is used well within the BBC.

As to how pro/anti-Apple the BBC news site is, I would say its coverage isn't very good overall. Normally it's fairly positive, it does like running scare stories (e.g. exploding batteries, DRM-free iTunes issues) which its staff lack expertise to judge the merits of correctly (although I would say that's applicable to most of its technology stories). Also, more than one or two of the experts, lack expertise frankly - still at least Bill Thompson doesn't write a regular column anymore!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Brand placement.

Usually the show gets the equipment for free and on top of that an ad fee and they will show the logos.

Equipment that they had to pay for and possibly the company won't pay for the "ad space" the logos get covered.

Was sort of creepy. This guy I met who was a student in photography, I was trying to catch the equipment he had, but he had covered up the brandname. He said that since "Nikon" didn't give him the equipment and they are not sponsoring him, he has covered up the logo/brandname.

Creeeeeeeepy.....

I can see a studio doing it due to a show's exposure, but a person?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Was sort of creepy. This guy I met who was a student in photography, I was trying to catch the equipment he had, but he had covered up the brandname. He said that since "Nikon" didn't give him the equipment and they are not sponsoring him, he has covered up the logo/brandname.

That's just weird. I suspect they try and cover up any logos they notice, but the ones they miss slip through, the Apple logo is really obvious.

Showing the Sony logo is like using Internet Explorer or Safari in a TV show ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.