PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Purchasers: Jacksonville, FL (NE FL)

JoJoCal19
Jun 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
Wow Im surprised theres no thread for NE Florida / Jacksonville area already. Whos buyin whether its at an ATT store or the Apple store at the Town Center? If you want to avoid crowds I read theres a store in Palatka that will have the iPhone :p

Im probly heading to the Town Center to the Apple Store when it opens and waiting to see when people will start lining up.

Sdashiki
Jun 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
LoL, Palatka has nothing!

JoJoCal19
Jun 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
I know! I figured if there were anywere that would have very small crowds Palatka would be it.

ian-frs
Jun 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
If I can upgrade my account (part of family plan) I will be at the Apple store in Town Center Friday. Make a nice day long experience out there.

JMGvtec03
Jun 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
I live in Lake City

I really enjoy the town center, but for something like this, I think there may not be many people here at our At&t store.

So Ima try and get one here.

-J

MacGuy88
Jun 26, 2007, 03:02 PM
I'm tempted to pop in there and check them out, but I'm leaving the country for a year so there is no sense of me getting one now, although the thought has crossed my mind plenty of times, haha.

I almost got a job at the Apple Store back in Dec. but they took 2-3 weeks to even contact me after an interview so I had accepted another job by then. I regret that decision a lot.

Representin' Fruit Cove, St. Johns County.:cool:

JW008
Jun 26, 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking about heading there from Tallahassee, but the ATT store here is literally 1000 ft from my apartment. Anyone have a sense as to how busy the Jacksonville Apple Store is going to be?

JMGvtec03
Jun 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm thinking about heading there from Tallahassee, but the ATT store here is literally 1000 ft from my apartment. Anyone have a sense as to how busy the Jacksonville Apple Store is going to be?

I was there for the grand opening, there was a pretty long line...

For the Tiger release party, there was an even longer line...

Im sure the iPhone launch will be just as long even though you can order online and @ att stores... People just like the Apple store feel...IMHO

-J

alabare
Jun 26, 2007, 07:31 PM
I live right next to the Town Center and am getting the sense it's going to be a mad house. For what it's worth, while I'm sure the Apple store will get the majority of the crowd, wondering how the crowds will be at the AT&T stores spread around town.

ian-frs
Jun 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm sure the AT&T store will be almost as crowded. I am planning on spending a nice day at Starbucks on Friday to watch the crowds.

jaxmacguy
Jun 26, 2007, 09:07 PM
Anyone headed to the store on Atlantic?

ian-frs
Jun 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
Theres an apple store on atlantic?

JMGvtec03
Jun 27, 2007, 11:05 AM
Theres an apple store on atlantic?

No,

There is an AT&T store though...

JoJoCal19
Jun 27, 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm sure the AT&T store will be almost as crowded. I am planning on spending a nice day at Starbucks on Friday to watch the crowds.

Yea Im trying to figure out what time to head up to the Town Center. I was thinking of heading up there at 10am to hang out at my other fav stores and monitor the Apple store crowds and when a line forms I will jump in.

ian-frs
Jun 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
That sounds like a good idea. I might have to join you with that.

alabare
Jun 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
Sending my wife to get in line for me at 12pm! heh

Giving some thought to the Phillips Highway location or even Atlantic Blvd. crowd wise. Seems like the lines would be less in certain parts of town.

ian-frs
Jun 27, 2007, 04:17 PM
I figure I'm already spending $500 on a phone I might as well get the apple store experience with it.

Fahrwahr
Jun 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
My old cell phone (Nokia 6340i) was in my blue gym bag that was stolen from Main Beach in Fernandina Beach on Saturday, so I don't think I'll be buying any expensive cell phones anytime soon -- I'm sticking with a cheap / free phone I can get by getting a new contract with AT&T. I have the Nokia 6102i for the time being until the local AT&T store gets the Nokia 2610 in -- same digits, oddly enough, but I'm sticking with a bar phone as long as I can get one. I need something I can hold, and flip phones are just too thin.

BTW, if you're ever making a phone call while heading up US 1 north from Jacksonville, count on your call being dropped in Folkston. There's no reception in the swamp!

Andrmgic
Jun 27, 2007, 08:35 PM
There are 3 AT&T stores in Tallahassee that are going to stock the phone, and all of them are within 10 miles of my place.. one is within less than a mile of my job, so I'm planning on cutting out of work a little early and heading over there.

I don't think it would be worth it to drive the 2.5-3hrs to Jax to buy the phone at the apple store.

I'll take my chances getting one in good old tally

JoJoCal19
Jun 28, 2007, 06:37 AM
There are 3 AT&T stores in Tallahassee that are going to stock the phone, and all of them are within 10 miles of my place.. one is within less than a mile of my job, so I'm planning on cutting out of work a little early and heading over there.

I don't think it would be worth it to drive the 2.5-3hrs to Jax to buy the phone at the apple store.

I'll take my chances getting one in good old tally

Honestly I think you should be fine in Tallahasse. Nothing but a bunch of college kids who probably cant afford to shell out $600 for a cell phone, middle agers and politicians who could probably care less and really old people who sure as hell wont be getting one. I think youll be good lol...

tharrell
Jun 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
Myself and a few others from iPhone-Geek (http://www.iphone-geek.com) will be out at the Town Center, probably playing WoW to kill time. Stop by and say hi!

ian-frs
Jun 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
Hows the line looking? just thinking about heading down to town center now.

JMGvtec03
Jun 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
Can anybody post pics????

Question: Will the geinus bar be open til midnight aswell? After doing an update on my MBP it restarted with the Folder&Question mark flashing so It seems I need a new HD..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

-J

GeekLawyer
Jun 29, 2007, 02:34 PM
Wow -- there is a Jacksonville thread. Awesome.

I can't decide if I should head over to the Apple store or the AT&T near home. The AT&T store happens to be inside a Winn Dixie. Which does not promise to be very glamorous... but maybe will mean a short line. :)

CJK
Jun 29, 2007, 03:00 PM
Wow -- there is a Jacksonville thread. Awesome.

I can't decide if I should head over to the Apple store or the AT&T near home. The AT&T store happens to be inside a Winn Dixie. Which does not promise to be very glamorous... but maybe will mean a short line. :)

I'm facing the same dilemma -- the Apple Store would be the more fun experience (like the Jaguar and Tiger releases, only bigger), but I think I'd have more of a chance to score an iPhone if I headed to one of the AT&T stores...

Cr*p. Not sure what to do.

ian-frs
Jun 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
Town Center is pretty croweded now.

JMGvtec03
Jun 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
Anybody at the ATT store in the town center????

BTW: I drove by the ATT store here in LAke City, There was ONE guy outside in a chair... Theres NEVER anyone there anyway.

-J

CJK
Jun 29, 2007, 03:38 PM
Town Center is pretty croweded now.

Fabulous. :( Still waiting for my wife to get home from work so I can run over there (or to an alternative AT&T store). Any guess at how many people are in line? Supposedly there are about 500 iPhones per Apple Store, with the big ones getting more.

Project
Jun 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Fabulous. :( Still waiting for my wife to get home from work so I can run over there (or to an alternative AT&T store). Any guess at how many people are in line? Supposedly there are about 500 iPhones per Apple Store, with the big ones getting more.

Leave her behind! :)

CJK
Jun 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
Leave her behind! :)

She's not going -- she thinks I'm crazy -- but someone's got to watch the kids! :)

GeekLawyer
Jun 29, 2007, 06:14 PM
The AT&T store in the Winn Dixie on Normandy Blvd had plenty. I was #10 in that line and I went to the store at about 4. In and out. Syncing now. :apple:

They seemed to have adequate stock and they're open until 10... ;)

CJK
Jun 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
Ended up going over to the Town Center anyway, and I'm glad I did. The line wasn't ridiculous, and the atmosphere was excited and pleasant. There was even a news crew doing a live shot just before 6. The Apple folks (including the store manager, who's just great) brought bottles of water to everyone in line, and Panera came by with their version of pizza (for free).

The store ended up having plenty of iPhones, and the line was completely gone by 6:45 -- we were in and out in less than an hour from the time we arrived (at 5:40). They didn't have too many accessories, unfortunately -- no Apple Bluetooth headset or dock.

Overall, a great experience! Glad I was there!

Now, to activate my new iPhone...

ian-frs
Jun 29, 2007, 08:22 PM
I have to agree the Town Center experience was amazing. Free water, Free Coffee, and Free Food! I'm glad they had enough stocked for everyone but showing up at 11:30 and spending my whole day out there was worth it. Can't wait to do it again for Leopard.(posted on my Iphone)

alabare
Jun 30, 2007, 03:07 PM
Stood in line most of the day but well worth it. Atmosphere was indeed, great! Hell, just walking in the front door and having them cheer like I was in a high school football game was pretty cool. The water, coffee, snacks, all free was a great touch. From what I understand, compared to the AT&T stores, while professional, it was night and day "experience" wise.

I was disapointed they didn't have the apple bluetooth. Ended up picking up a 3rd party blue tooth and a hard case. Returned both earlier today. The cases just felt cheep. Crappy plastic casing. I figure if I'm placing $600 into a protective case, the case damn well better of a decent quality. As for the plaintronics bluetooth I returned, of the 3 gell fittings it comes with, I'll be damned if any of them fit or felt comfortable in my ear. $130 for it, I want it to be comfortable. So, figure I would bring back the extras today and await the bluetooth i wanted.

Also, for any still considering an iPhone purchase at the Jax Apple store, at 2pm, they still had a ton in stock. I was surprised.

ian-frs
Jun 30, 2007, 05:35 PM
Anyone happen to get any pictures from the event?

CJK
Jun 30, 2007, 06:55 PM
I was disapointed they didn't have the apple bluetooth. Ended up picking up a 3rd party blue tooth and a hard case. Returned both earlier today. The cases just felt cheep. Crappy plastic casing. I figure if I'm placing $600 into a protective case, the case damn well better of a decent quality.

I agree -- I was surprised and disappointed about the Apple headset, since I had planned to buy it as well.

I'm really happy with the case I bought -- the "wallet" style from inCase. Keeps the phone fully protected but still relatively easy to get to when it rings. Cost was $39.

CJK
Jun 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
Anyone happen to get any pictures from the event?

I snapped two with my cell phone (non-iPhone, of course) just before 6 pm. I'll try to get them uploaded tonight -- not always an easy task thanks to Verizon's cr*ppy software and somewhat unreliable SMS->email gateway.

Speaking of which, I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see that the snapshots I took with my iPhone were detected by iPhoto and could be imported with no fuss at all. No idea why I didn't think of this, and I haven't seen much made of it in the press, but WHAT a difference from the usual method of getting snaps into the computer! Gotta love the Apple approach!!!

flyingfadr
Jun 30, 2007, 10:56 PM
I walked into the Apple Store at St. John's Town Center at about 8PM on Friday... no lines... TONS of people playing with the iPhones... walked to the back of the store where the counter was.... ALOT of iPhones on the back table just WAITING to be purchased. Was in and out of the store in less than 2 minutes !!
Got home, downloaded iTunes 7.3 installed OS 10.4.10, restarted, and had the iPhone registered and running in less than 5 minutes.
It feels SOLID, looks BEAUTIFUL, the interface (look & feel) is STUNNING...response to input is very quick. Sync'ing of contacts, bookmarks, music, and pictures is a beautiful thing. Being able to access email, web pages on the go is pretty darn KEWL !!

Only thing i WISH it had, was the ability to assign songs as ring tones... cuz I am NOT going to pay for ringtones of songs I have already paid for... I can edit them in my Pro Audio program !!

I think the people who say negative things about the iPhone are the same people who want Microsoft to rule the world... but they have never touched OS X and had "everything just WORK..."

CJK
Jul 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
Here are my two pics from my Verizon RAZR -- taken about 5 minutes before 6:00 pm on June 29 at the Apple Store at St. Johns Town Center.

Wish I'd thought to snap a pic inside the store, or better yet, make a short movie!