PDA

View Full Version : Three Dead, Hundreds Trapped in Yorkshire Flooding

Queso
Jun 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
News reports are currently showing on BBC News 24 with the current situation in the north of England. There are apparently over 300 people trapped in Sheffield's Meadowhall Centre, andother 300 trapped in industrial parks across Sheffield, Chesterfield and Rotherham are virtually underwater and Hull is also bearing the brunt of being below sea level. So far only one death, but it's still raining, the RAF are winching people to safety and thousands of motorists are trapped in their cars by rising floodwaters.

Scary stuff eh?

77572 77573
77574 77575

Update : Changed title as death count rises

Jaffa Cake
Jun 25, 2007, 03:43 PM
Firstly... Humberside?! We're East Yorkshire I'll have you know! :mad: ;)

No, things aren't good here. We left work early due to roads being closed across lunchtime and the early afternoon, and the drive home which normally takes fifteen minutes ended up taking about an hour-and-a-half due to traffic and flooded roads, followed by a charming stroll through some ankle deep water.

Some of the streets near the House of Orangeô are under a couple of feet of water Ė luckily, we're still dry although the fire brigade have pumping equipment dealing with a scarily large pool of water that's cut off the junction at the bottom of our street. Scary stuff indeed.

And yes, it's still raining, as it has been all day Ė the weather fella on the telly reckons it'll stop in the early hours, though.

It hasn't bothered our brave posties, mind. :)

bartelby
Jun 25, 2007, 03:46 PM
First thing I thought of, when I read this stuff, was:

I wonder how the Jaffas are?

Glad to see you're still here!

Jaffa Cake
Jun 25, 2007, 03:48 PM
Glad to see you're still here!Well, I can't go out to the pub, can I? :p

All those flooded cellars, all that ruined ale... it's enough to make you weep. :(

bartelby
Jun 25, 2007, 03:50 PM
Well, I can't go out to the pub, can I? :p

All those flooded cellars, all that ruined ale... it's enough to make you weep. :(

http://accordionguy.blogware.com/Photos/2005/05/noooooooo.jpg

Queso
I'm worried about Boobs now. It would be just his luck to get caught in this.

And it's now saying that the river through Leeds just burst its banks flooding an extra 70-odd houses with villages right through the Don Valley also washed out.

Dagless
We haven't had it too bad here on the other side of the Pennines (though - if you're going off historical references we're in the West Riding of Yorkshire :p ). It was raining like mad before, then it stopped. Then the wind picked up. Now it's just cloudy and still.

Crappy weather :(

bartelby
Jun 25, 2007, 03:51 PM
I'm worried about Boobs now. It would be just his luck to get caught in this.

And it's now saying that the river through Leeds just burst its banks flooding an extra 70-odd houses with villages right through the Don Valley also washed out.

Ah, Boobs was my second thought!

Jaffa Cake
Jun 25, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'm worried about Boobs now. It would be just his luck to get caught in this.Indeed Ė I think we got the worst of it earlier today, but this evening it's Leeds and South Yorkshire which are really being hit. Doesn't he live on top of a hill or something? I hope he's okay Ė perhaps he's off looting the Meadowhall Apple Store? ;)

Queso
Jun 25, 2007, 04:14 PM
One more death confirmed, suspected to be a 13-year old boy that was reported swept away earlier this evening :(

Jaffa Cake
Jun 25, 2007, 04:33 PM
Tragic news. There was another young lad who got swept away earlier – in this instance though rescuers were able to fish him out, thankfully.

Meanwhile, someone was just on the news – trapped in an office but otherwise safe, dry and with access to food – moaning that they've only had three Sea King helicopters sent to winch them to safety... :rolleyes:

mpw
Jun 25, 2007, 04:36 PM
...It hasn't bothered our brave posties, mind. :)

Of course they're taking Friday off to recover :rolleyes:
Boobs are never far from my first thought too.

On a serious note: The story of the guy drowning with his foot stuck in a drain grille sounded horrific. I can imagine someone drowning being awful, but having them drown in rising waters with a rescue going on around them with divers etc. must be worse somehow.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, its still raining here. Been raining for over 6 hours straight. I live basically slap-bang in the middle of North Yorkshire too :(. Luck I live on a hill!

EDIT: Theres also an Apple Store in the Meadow Hall, so at least they'll have something to do ;)

Jaffa Cake
Jun 25, 2007, 04:45 PM
The story of the guy drowning with his foot stuck in a drain grille sounded horrific. I can imagine someone drowning being awful, but having them drown in rising waters with a rescue going on around them with divers etc. must be worse somehow.I know. Apparently he was only out in it because he was trying to clear the drain to help his grandfather – if he hadn't tried to help out he'd still be alive now.

It must be terrible for the emergency services in that situation, too – they spent hours in those conditions trying to save him, and had to watch as he died in front of them in spite of their efforts. Terrible.

EDIT: On a more positive note... it's stopped raining here. :)

EricNau
Jun 25, 2007, 04:49 PM
On a serious note: The story of the guy drowning with his foot stuck in a drain grille sounded horrific. I can imagine someone drowning being awful, but having them drown in rising waters with a rescue going on around them with divers etc. must be worse somehow.
That's terrible. Do you have a link to that news story?

Queso
Jun 25, 2007, 04:52 PM
That's terrible. Do you have a link to that news story?
BBC Media Player (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6230000/newsid_6239300?redirect=6239316.stm&news=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1)

EricNau
Jun 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
BBC Media Player (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6230000/newsid_6239300?redirect=6239316.stm&news=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1)
Wow. That's very tragic.

Why couldn't they give the man a tube to breath through, or since matters were so dire, amputate the leg?

Jaffa Cake
Jun 25, 2007, 05:11 PM
Why couldn't they give the man a tube to breath through, or since matters were so dire, amputate the leg?They gave him a tube and he was on that for quite a while apparently, but in the end he lost consciousness – bear in mind that he'd been in filthy, freezing cold water for several hours and I think it just took its toll on his body. Apparently several of the rescue workers were themselves on the verge of hypothermia and they would have been better kitted out than the poor lad.

EDIT: They've just discussed this incident on Sky News, and it was mentioned that amputation would have been impossible due to the position of his leg and the powerful flow of the water.

Legolamb
Jun 25, 2007, 06:44 PM
Tragic indeed. Even more than being sensitized by Katrina, being part of MR has made me keenly aware of events affecting our "community". Hope you guys are drying out.

oblomow
Jun 26, 2007, 03:40 AM
Tragic. Reminds me of the little girl Omayra Sanchez trapped in Columbia back in 1985. What a terrible way to die.

And I just booked a ferrycrossing to the uk and plan to go camping with my family in the yorkshire dales. Can you teach a 3 year old how to swim in 2 weeks? Or should we stay behind the dykes back in our frog country?

Jaffa Cake
Jun 26, 2007, 03:54 AM
Well, Iím sat at my desk at work because Iím hardcore, me. :p

Iíve just been speaking to a chap who I had a meeting arranged with this afternoon, and his business is completely flooded out. Not good at all.

oblomow
Jun 26, 2007, 04:05 AM

yeah right, you're just trapped and can't go home to mrs. jaffa anymore

Queso
Jun 26, 2007, 05:05 AM
Pulled on your waders and made it in then? Well done you. Can't imagine they'll be too many people doing the same up there this morning.

Jaffa Cake
Jun 26, 2007, 05:09 AM
Pulled on your waders and made it in then? Well done you. Can't imagine they'll be too many people doing the same up there this morning.Nah, bus. Had some crazy detours though, and abandoned vehicles were everywhere. Blitz spirit, and all that. :p

PlaceofDis
Jun 26, 2007, 05:10 AM
how deep is the water up there still?
i can't remember hearing about flooding there in the past, so is it common, or did this come out of nowhere?

wish you all the best of luck, horrible situation to be in.
*thinks positive thoughts*

Jaffa Cake
Jun 26, 2007, 05:28 AM
how deep is the water up there still?
i can't remember hearing about flooding there in the past, so is it common, or did this come out of nowhere?Thereís an old saying in these parts, Ďonce in a Sheffield floodí... itís not that common around there, apparently.

I canít speak for South Yorkshire where the big trouble was yesterday evening, but here in Hull I saw a couple of feet firsthand near my house. On the way in to work this morning there were a few underpasses that were brimming to the top with water, and I didnít see a single playing field or park that wasnít underwater.

Itís a little different here from Sheffield and the Don Valley it seems Ė weíre very flat here so the rain has essentially pooled where it fell, the ground was already sodden with rain from last week so it didnít drain away yesterday. In South Yorkshire (where itís much more hilly) the problem seems to be that the water has flowed down into the already swollen rivers, causing them to burst and resulting in the scenes we saw last night.

R.Youden
Jun 26, 2007, 05:32 AM
Good job this wasn't Ellend Road, they wouldn't have been able to find Dennis Wise!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/07/uk_enl_1182851231/img/1.jpg

MacBoobsPro
Jun 26, 2007, 05:34 AM

For any red blooded male Boobs should always be your first thought :D

Thanks for the PMs guys. I'm ok although it took me 5 and a half hours to get home from Huddersfield last night. I live on the south side of Sheffield and Huddersfield is north of Sheffield. All roads into and around Sheffield were closed as well as the M1 so for 5 hours there was literally no way to get home. I went from 'road closed' sign to 'road closed' sign for 5 hours and was penned in at one point with 2 coppers at each end of a stretch of road saying you will have to turn back because there is no way through. :rolleyes:

I thought it was bad but when I eventually made it home at 10.30pm :mad: and saw what had happened in town on the TV I couldnt believe it. :eek:

PlaceofDis
Jun 26, 2007, 05:43 AM
<snip> geography stuffs </snip>

cool. thanks for that. helps figure it out a bit better. hope it gets on its way soon though for all of your sakes.

and i'm glad that you're alright Boobs.

Queso
Jun 26, 2007, 05:47 AM
Good job this wasn't Ellend Road, they wouldn't have been able to find Dennis Wise!
Looks like Gigg Lane before any winter fixture :D

Nice to hear from you too Boobs. I had visions of you sleeping in the office last night.

Dagless
Jun 26, 2007, 05:52 AM
So all that has shifted. It's a lovely day here, suns out, few clouds, no wind.

MacBoobsPro
Jun 26, 2007, 05:56 AM
Thereís an old saying in these parts, Ďonce in a Sheffield floodí... itís not that common around there, apparently.

I canít speak for South Yorkshire where the big trouble was yesterday evening, but here in Hull I saw a couple of feet firsthand near my house. On the way in to work this morning there were a few underpasses that were brimming to the top with water, and I didnít see a single playing field or park that wasnít underwater.

Itís a little different here from Sheffield and the Don Valley it seems Ė weíre very flat here so the rain has essentially pooled where it fell, the ground was already sodden with rain from last week so it didnít drain away yesterday. In South Yorkshire (where itís much more hilly) the problem seems to be that the water has flowed down into the already swollen rivers, causing them to burst and resulting in the scenes we saw last night.

Sheffield is built on seven hills and although it rarely floods with the amount of rain that fell in such a short period all the water that landed on the hills obviously pooled in the valley which is the city centre and various districts like Meadowhall etc.

Basically Sheffield is a giant bowl. All we need now is some giant cheerios and a spoon. :D

PlaceofDis
Jun 26, 2007, 06:10 AM
Basically Sheffield is a giant bowl. All we need now is some giant cheerios and a spoon. :D

mmmm cheerios.

and that reminds me of "honey, i shrunk the kids"

oblomow
Jun 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
There are some (disturbing) pictures at the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk:80/shropshire/content/image_galleries/floods_june_2007_gallery.shtml?1)

whooleytoo
Jun 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
It must be terrible for the emergency services in that situation, too Ė they spent hours in those conditions trying to save him, and had to watch as he died in front of them in spite of their efforts. Terrible.

I'm reminded of the time when a father and son were out walking on the mud-flats somewhere in England a while back, when the tide starting coming in around them. Trapped by the water and unable to see anything with fog, they were on the phone to the rescue services but they couldn't find them with the limited visibility. Apparently at the end the father had his son on his shoulders to keep his head above water. In both cases, what a horrible way to go - and as you say, horrible too for those trying to save them.

EricNau
Jun 26, 2007, 12:49 PM
Well, I wish everyone over there the best of luck, my thoughts are with you all.